Page 62 of 100 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,100 of 4968
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Im sorry two tone, you are not a dick. I apologize.

If anyone wants to try to just replace the bearings in the upper and lower pivot, I highly recommend the two bearing pullers and bearing press. The bearings are stuck in there really well, as they should be. It sucks that you need $120 worth of tools to do the job though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Loving this new addition to my ride...

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-img_20140425_173602.jpgTallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-img_20140506_190753.jpgTallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-img_20140425_173620.jpg

The Monarch Plus Debonair made the bike, and the new air can makes for a shock that is very plush on the initial stroke but has far better mid stroke support and bottom resistance than the Fox CTD. It compliments the Pike 150 fork perfectly, creating a very balanced ride.

Also changed to a 60mm Race Face Turbine stem, ODI Rogue lock ons, swapped for a Black WTB Silverado SLT and a Giant Contact Switch dropper, and some black Deity Compound pedals.

Bike finally feels dialed to me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just had a Thompson dropper put on. My first experience with a dropper and all I can say is, "Why the hell did I wait so long to get on board?"

Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Nice rides, max_croft!
    Your bikes rims are nicer than your cars, though. Takes me back to the days of my GTi and Corrado...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I don't want go get it dirty lolTallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-image.jpg
    2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy22 View Post
    I don't want go get it dirty lolClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	893226
    Nice.

What parts are you puttng on that thing?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Going 1x10 with a one up 40t.
    11x36 and zee derail
    I have a zee crankset with a 30t race face nw. If love a carbon crankset though.
    Xt brakes
    New ks lev ti dropper
    I have easton haven wheels
    Haven carbon bars
    Race face turbine stem
    1 degree works headset on way

I'm up for any input on any changes I could make to better the ride
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member

Re: Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread

Going 1x10 with a one up 40t.
    11x36 and zee derail
    I have a zee crankset with a 30t race face nw. If love a carbon crankset though.
    Xt brakes
    New ks lev ti dropper
    I have easton haven wheels
    Haven carbon bars
    Race face turbine stem
    1 degree works headset on way

I'm up for any input on any changes I could make to better the ride
    CRC has the X01 cranks for ~$211 w/ a 10% off coupon and free shipping. I think you can get a King GXP adapter kit and just use your Shimano BB w/ a X01 GXP crankset.

Sent from my MyTouch 4G Slide using Tapatalk
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    I'd probably stick with the stock head angle and see how you like it before tweaking it.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Maximum seatpost insertion depth LTc XL?

Does anyone know the maximum seatpost insertion depth possible on a LTc XL before touching pivot or bend in seattube?

Frame is ordered, trying to anticipate best dropper post length.

Looks like a 385mm KS dropper may be just too short (resulting in insertion depth of 11-14cm to get seat at right maximum height), and wondering how much margin there is to move to the 435mm, which would give a theoretical insertion depth of 16-19cm.

mtbr member
    SC specifies minimum post depth of 4".
    By your math, the 385 covers it. 4.3"-5.5".
    However, how did you come up with a variance of 3cm?
    Your seat is either at max/correct height or it's not.
    Are you trying to account for different saddles?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    XO1 got bad reviews on there. I was looking at it. But I just bought a 30t race face will that bolt onto it?
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    XO1 got bad reviews on there. I was looking at it. But I just bought a 30t race face will that bolt onto it?
    No, the X01 BCD is 94mm, and your ring is 104.

mtbr member
    I'm eyeballing changing over to 1x11 setup, and will do a mixed bag of bits...
    Race Face Next SL w/ BSA30 BB and their 26T direct mount NW ring
    X01 cassette, chain, and rear mech
    XX1 shiftie, and may up the rear mech to XX1 if funds are there.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Anyone running the works 1 degree angle set and a 150 pike?
    I have a Fox 34 140 now but was wondering if the pike 150 would be too much of a geo change with the 1 degree AS. A lot of climbing here in ohio
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    May 2014
    First post here so hello!

Just finished building this up, my first self built bike and I'm a happy boy. Basically killed my budget on the frame and got either cheap or second hand parts to fit to it

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-bike.jpg

LTC XXL standard damper

140mm Pikes
    X01
    SLX Brakes
    Crossmax ST

Damper is on my list to sort already, blowing through the travel (I'm 6'7 and 16 Stone).

Quick Q - only done about 25 miles on it so far and it has started creaking, seems to be coming from either the shock mounting or the top linkage, any ideas?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Where did you get the matching pike stickers?
    Building my black yellow up right now. Just ordered my pike
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Slik Graphics

Select custom colour and specify tennis ball yellow for tallboy LTC and all is good. Think they are based in Sweden, I'm in the UK and no issue with postage so assume it'd be the same for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Is it the one with blue in it or do you just select custom and tell them tennis ball yellow
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    May 2014
    On the left select fork decals, rockhox, then click the blue and yellow one, on the right there is a dropdown list and at the bottom there is a custom colours option.

When you click checkout you can then specify tennis ball yellow for Tallboy LTC and 29"

mtbr member
    May 2004
    That variance accounts for different pedals, shoes, seat and inaccuracy of measurement.
    Even though the frame may cover the 385mm post depth (thanks to let me know!), the KS Lev is specified for 12cm or 4.7" of minimum post depth.
    It seems safer to have the 435mm KS dropper but if there is enough room to have post depth of 19cm.
    Anyone know maximum post depth possible on XL LTc frame?
    thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fullsuspfuture View Post
    That variance accounts for different pedals, shoes, seat and inaccuracy of measurement.
    Even though the frame may cover the 385mm post depth (thanks to let me know!), the KS Lev is specified for 12cm or 4.7" of minimum post depth.
    It seems safer to have the 435mm KS dropper but if there is enough room to have post depth of 19cm.
    Anyone know maximum post depth possible on XL LTc frame?
    thanks

I have an XL aluminum frame and I can fit a 400mm post with room to spare. Depending on the travel of post and your seat position may work. However, not sure if there is differences in the carbon frame

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by _Nathan_ View Post
    First post here so hello!

Just finished building this up, my first self built bike and I'm a happy boy. Basically killed my budget on the frame and got either cheap or second hand parts to fit to it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	285.7 KB 
ID:	893589

LTC XXL standard damper

140mm Pikes
    X01
    SLX Brakes
    Crossmax ST

Damper is on my list to sort already, blowing through the travel (I'm 6'7 and 16 Stone).

Quick Q - only done about 25 miles on it so far and it has started creaking, seems to be coming from either the shock mounting or the top linkage, any ideas?
    Nathan, requesting more pictures of your bike! I'm an XXL chap, looking into the LTC and have a black Pike on my current 29er - we could very well end up being bike twins.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by norcalsfinest View Post
    Loving this new addition to my ride...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140425_173602.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	893075Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140506_190753.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	218.7 KB 
ID:	893076Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140425_173620.jpg 
Views:	470 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	893077

The Monarch Plus Debonair made the bike, and the new air can makes for a shock that is very plush on the initial stroke but has far better mid stroke support and bottom resistance than the Fox CTD. It compliments the Pike 150 fork perfectly, creating a very balanced ride.

Also changed to a 60mm Race Face Turbine stem, ODI Rogue lock ons, swapped for a Black WTB Silverado SLT and a Giant Contact Switch dropper, and some black Deity Compound pedals.

Bike finally feels dialed to me.
    Baller. First thing I'll do if I get an LTC. What tune does one get?

Insanity later

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread

Silly question but I just got a dbair and it didn't come with mounting hardware, can I take my old hardware and use that? I have both SRAM and Fox hardware kits for the TB. The DBAir has bushings installed but the axle from my fox shock seems really tight in that bushing. Are CC axles a smaller diameter? Thx I'd love to ride NOW but don't want to screw it up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Insanity later

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread

Ok so I'll answer. Y own question if others are curious. The OD if the norglide bushings in the DBAir are 14.7mm which is a little smaller than the 15mm std used by Fox and Rock Shox. Therefore you can't use needle bearings or bushings from other companies. I also couldn't use the bushing removal tool which is designed for 15mm eyelet diameter. The ID of the bushing is also slightly smaller (12 vs 12.5mm??) so again you need the Cane Creek hardware.

Something to be aware of. Took it for my first ride yesterday. Huge improvement over the Fox CTD and even the Monarch+ I tried. Climb Switch is amazing, and on the way down I was clearing some doubles for the first time. Haven't even got it fully dialed in either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Right, looking to update my drivetrain from a 2x10 to a 1x11. I've been riding around and limiting myself to a 22T front and 32T rear combo to see if I can deal w/ the 1x11...Thundercats are GO!

Looking for any insights from peeps who've done this...any quarks/weirdo-ness I need to pay attention to. Parts list is below:

I have King wheels so...
    King XD driveshell

Sram bits:
    X01 cassette
    XX1 shiftie
    X01 rear mech
    X01 chain

RF bits:
    Next SL cranks 170mm
    DM 26T NW ring
    BSA30 BB

Thanks in advance.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Right, looking to update my drivetrain from a 2x10 to a 1x11. I've been riding around and limiting myself to a 22T front and 32T rear combo to see if I can deal w/ the 1x11...Thundercats are GO!

Looking for any insights from peeps who've done this...any quarks/weirdo-ness I need to pay attention to. Parts list is below:

I have King wheels so...
    King XD driveshell

Sram bits:
    X01 cassette
    XX1 shiftie
    X01 rear mech
    X01 chain

RF bits:
    Next SL cranks 170mm
    DM 26T NW ring
    BSA30 BB

Thanks in advance.
    Hey Pau11y. You'll like the 1x11... Just beware of the grind. It happens a lot with a 28t, so a 26t is probably even worst. See: XX1 28t chain grinding?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post
    Hey Pau11y. You'll like the 1x11... Just beware of the grind. It happens a lot with a 28t, so a 26t is probably even worst. See: XX1 28t chain grinding?
    Thanks for that heads up man
    I can see why...w/ the NW rings and tolerances to the chain plates. I choose the Next SL cranks in the hope that I can tweak the chainline a bit w/ spacers. I'm hoping to bias the CL towards the bigger cogs a scooch, unaware of this grind issue...just didn't want the chain to drop when back pedaling. I stutter pedal in the chunder quite a bit...prob not enough to cause a chain to drop off, but then it'll just put weird stresses on the teeth. That said, not having the crankset in hand, I don't know if the tweak I'm envisioning is even possible.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post
    Say C, I've been diggin' on this topic all day and just found out (thanks smilinsteve) that this ring has a 6mm dish to help reduce the chainline?

Direct Mount for SRAM GXP Cranks ? wolftoothcomponents.com
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Finally got her out on the first ride today. I LOVE THIS BIKE!!Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-tallboy3.jpgTallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-tallboy1.jpgTallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-tallboy2.jpg
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Good looking bike Jonesy! Maybe because it looks a lot like mine! Did you get matching pants and matching shoes?

mtbr member
    I had an awesome ride on mine this weekend. Its really bringing me to a new level, mainly because of 3 things:

Travel; its more than I've had before and it really helps give me confidence to hit stuff I didn't before. The Fox CTD fork and shock are working great as far as I'm concerned, despite what I have read where some people are knocking them.

Dropper; of course great for descents, but I found it really helpful on flat rocky sections too, where my center of gravity was lower so I could plow through. Putting the saddle to full height on these same sections gave me a good perspective of how high and unbalanced I would be without the dropper. Plus, when I did have to dismount, it is so much easier with the seat dropped, so dismounting and remounting was no big deal where I would normally just walk a section to avoid all that.

New bike bravery: Always helps. Thinking about all that money blown really is motivational for ensuring that you are reaching new personal best performances!

mtbr member
    Say C, I've been diggin' on this topic all day and just found out (thanks smilinsteve) that this ring has a 6mm dish to help reduce the chainline?

I should just note that it put the chain line pretty close to where it was previously with the stock set up. The offset makes up for the thickness of the spider which must be removed.

mtbr member
    I choose the Next SL cranks in the hope that I can tweak the chainline a bit w/ spacers. I'm hoping to bias the CL towards the bigger cogs a scooch,
    Pau11y, did I ever show you this article? Absolute black says that a smaller chain line closer to the big cogs is better, and it is easy enough to do. Just buy one of their 64 BCD NW rings and mount it on a 2x or 3x crank.

Absolute Black Brings Narrow Wide Chainrings to 64 BCD, Chain lines Rejoice

mtbr member
    Im curious to know what you think of the back wheel hub. I have the EA90XC with the same hubs. They are famous for being problematic. Forever have that side to side rattle. Ive just ordered Mavic crossmax ST.

Finally got her out on the first ride today. I LOVE THIS BIKE!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tallboy3.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	269.4 KB 
ID:	894803Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tallboy1.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	237.4 KB 
ID:	894804Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tallboy2.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	223.9 KB 
ID:	894805
    Supporting the Burry Gap.

mtbr member
    May 2012

I have this exact ring, it was quiet for about 2 months and then I put up with the noise for another month. NEVER dropped the chain and I'm on my second one now, sweet when new/quiet.

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    did you have the chance to weigh it? cheers!
    Finally got her out on the first ride today. I LOVE THIS BIKE!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tallboy3.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	269.4 KB 
ID:	894803Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tallboy1.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	237.4 KB 
ID:	894804Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tallboy2.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	223.9 KB 
ID:	894805

mtbr member
    Sweet looking bike - Congratulations! How do you like the slackened head angle? I ordered the 1.5 deg for my build...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I had an awesome ride on mine this weekend. Its really bringing me to a new level, mainly because of 3 things:

Travel; its more than I've had before and it really helps give me confidence to hit stuff I didn't before. The Fox CTD fork and shock are working great as far as I'm concerned, despite what I have read where some people are knocking them.

Dropper; of course great for descents, but I found it really helpful on flat rocky sections too, where my center of gravity was lower so I could plow through. Putting the saddle to full height on these same sections gave me a good perspective of how high and unbalanced I would be without the dropper. Plus, when I did have to dismount, it is so much easier with the seat dropped, so dismounting and remounting was no big deal where I would normally just walk a section to avoid all that.

New bike bravery: Always helps. Thinking about all that money blown really is motivational for ensuring that you are reaching new personal best performances!

I didn't think the stock rear shock was too bad except in small bump chatter, which I attributed to the VPP design. That is, until I got the Monarch Plus Debonair on. Night and day difference, especially with me being 225ish geared up and having a plough straight through rather than finesse riding style.

If it works for you and you can't justify the cost of changing the shock out, that is great, ride the hell out of the bike.

Just don't ride another Tallboy LT with an upgraded shock

mtbr member

Throw some BIG kids' sneakers on your hoops and gain even more bravery...Maxxis Minion DHF/DHR2s

Do you typically shoot thru the "tree air" on Lair 'O Bear, or go around? If you go around, nut-up and take that air...you will be rewarded w/ just how nice the TBLTc takes air...them big wagon wheels gives a nice stable platform in the air w/ their gyro-ing effect.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I get the chain grind, it sucks. I'm wondering what the consensus is on the new DB Inline Shock. I've been enjoying my DB Air CS, but it is heavy and perhaps overkill for the North East, with its complete lack of extended descents. The shock is superior to the other options on the market, but the Inline might be a better solution. I can't seem to find any info on exactly what the differences are between the Inline/DB Air CS. It also seems like it may not fit the Tallboy LT, so this may all be moot. Anybody have any info/thoughts?

mtbr member
    Throw some BIG kids' sneakers on your hoops and gain even more bravery...Maxxis Minion DHF/DHR2s

Do you typically shoot thru the "tree air" on Lair 'O Bear, or go around? If you go around, nut-up and take that air...you will be rewarded w/ just how nice the TBLTc takes air...them big wagon wheels gives a nice stable platform in the air w/ their gyro-ing effect.
    I haven't been to LOTB in a long time, but I can tell you my wheels stay on the ground!
    What section are you talking about? With my new bike bravery, I might just nut up.

I'm too much of a weight weenie for the Minions.

mtbr member
    I haven't been to LOTB in a long time, but I can tell you my wheels stay on the ground!
    What section are you talking about? With my new bike bravery, I might just nut up.

I'm too much of a weight weenie for the Minions.
    LoB is a out and back. If you climb it, you'll see it.

All reports are it's in great shape too. I'm hitting rides in the mornings this wknd, and hopefully miss the afternoon weather/rains. But Buff Crik would be BUTTA...thinking about hitting it on Sun.

Edit: how old are you? I think we need to get you up to Trestle and get your wings on Rainmaker!
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lstone84 View Post
    I get the chain grind, it sucks. I'm wondering what the consensus is on the new DB Inline Shock. I've been enjoying my DB Air CS, but it is heavy and perhaps overkill for the North East, with its complete lack of extended descents. The shock is superior to the other options on the market, but the Inline might be a better solution. I can't seem to find any info on exactly what the differences are between the Inline/DB Air CS. It also seems like it may not fit the Tallboy LT, so this may all be moot. Anybody have any info/thoughts?
    They both fit the LTc. Email Biker Bob from BikerBob.com. He can fill you in and even make sure it's tuned for the LTc and your weight. InLine shock will not be available until July or August.

mtbr member
    53 - Brittle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by lstone84 View Post

The piggyback fits my Lunchbox, but before ordering I called CC directly and talked to one of the guys there. I ended up ordering an Inline for the same reasons you're thinking of one.
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Mavic Crossmax ST are on, Easton EC70 wide is on.... photos on its way.
    M9020 in the post
    Supporting the Burry Gap.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Monarch Plus RC3

Looking to put a Monarch RC3 on my tallboy. Any suggestions as to what the best tune would be? I'm 165 lbs and ride pretty rocky rough terrain.

mtbr member

Re: Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mmalone1984 View Post
    Looking to put a Monarch RC3 on my tallboy. Any suggestions as to what the best tune would be? I'm 165 lbs and ride pretty rocky rough terrain.
    Light rebound, medium compression...which means a custom tune.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮