Page 61 of 151 FirstFirst ... 11 51 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 71 111 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 3774
    mtbr member
    Since Im considering the xx1 I did a bunch of looking into crank length. My Large tallboy LTc came with 175mm cranks. I have the ocassional petal strike but I feel less often than my Ibis SL. When I ran more sag on the shock I liked the plush ride, but I had to be a little more careful of strikes. The 170mm cranks might be the call but at 5'11" the 175mm have been working well. The xx1 made me think a lot more about it then I would have otherwise. In case anyone else is working on this it seems we need the wide Q factor cranks not the narrow, and I think the Gxp bracket not the bb30. Would love to hear if people like shorter cranks on a 29er. I find I need all the torque I can get from the 175's to get the big wheels turning on steep uphills.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Dpca10
    I actually thought of the same thing regarding torque and longer crank length. I was using a 170 crank originally and when I converted to 1x10, decided to use 175. I soon starting getting knee pains. Now I am not 100% sure because i did not see a doctor but all things remaining the same, crank length being the only change. I attributed it to that. Just a word of caution.

mtbr member
    I see a lot of people getting knee pain with crank length changes. I think the stability muscles of your knees have trouble catching up to the large muscle groups in the quads and hamstrings with the slightly altered vector of force. That being said how did you find the climbing on the 175 vs the 170?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I forgot to mention that I am 5'7" with a 29-30" inseam. I gave the 175 a good 2 months or so and the pain still persisted and after that I switched back to 170 and the knee pain became non existant. In climbs, I did noticed a slight increase in power output.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ronyc View Post
    I forgot to mention that I am 5'7" with a 29-30" inseam. I gave the 175 a good 2 months or so and the pain still persisted and after that I switched back to 170 and the knee pain became non existant. In climbs, I did noticed a slight increase in power output.
    Your physics doesn't make sense...
    Shorter crank arms got you more power output, and less knee pain? Sounds a bit like Republican budgetary magic math
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Sorry I meant that the power was there with the 175.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ronyc View Post
    Sorry I meant that the power was there with the 175.
    But your knee pain did go away w/ only a change in crank arm length? I'm wondering if you're flying your saddle a bit too high?
    FYI, I'm 33" inseam, but at max extension w/ my Reverb... bb center to top of saddle is only at 29.25". 29" is actually more comfortable w/ the ability to crush out a higher cadence (on my road bike). The math comes out to approx 87%, and from my fitting, I was told to run my saddle height at 28". At this height, I automatically picked up another 10 rpm in cadence...and that's 85% of my inseam. Maybe you can try flying your saddle at 85%, and mod w/ 1/4" increase per change?
    Also, check your knee to pedal axle alignment w/ a plumb bob while your cranks are at the 3 o'clock position. And lastly, check your foot/cleat alignment if not using flats.

I'm on 175s now, but have had up to 180 on older bikes. You wouldn't think it's noticeable, but it is...in power out AND pedal strikes.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Rode Santa Rosa Wilderness this weekend. Technical and loose... Lost count of pedal strikes and today ended with a bent rear derailleur... Glad I wasn't on the new bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LB412 View Post
    Rode Santa Rosa Wilderness this weekend. Technical and loose... Lost count of pedal strikes and today ended with a bent rear derailleur... Glad I wasn't on the new bike.
    If that's a true "Wilderness" area, you might want to edit your post...just sayin'
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    There are plenty of legal trails in the wilderness areas. I happen to live blocks away from another area with dozens of approved hike and bike trails... Just saying

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LB412 View Post
    There are plenty of legal trails in the wilderness areas. I happen to live blocks away from another area with dozens of approved hike and bike trails... Just saying
    You have legit trails thru designated 'wilderness' area where you are? You lucky bastard! How did that happen...grandfathered into the designation as pre-existing multi-use trail? We SO need something like that to retro some trails here in CO! The friggin' environmentalists are pretty militant here...
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Bring back the Tour de GA
    I'm considering a Tallboy LTa with SPXam29 build. I want to run 2x10 as I have no need for a large ring where I ride, but the 26T ring that comes with the 2x10 option is too tall for me. Could I replace the 26 with a 24 without creating shifting problems?
    Is there any disadvantage to running a triple crank as a 2x10 by replacing the outer ring with a bash guard vs a 2x10 crank? 24/32 would work just fine for me.
    There's only two things in life (but I forget what they are). - John Hiatt

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    I'm considering a Tallboy LTa with SPXam29 build. I want to run 2x10 as I have no need for a large ring where I ride, but the 26T ring that comes with the 2x10 option is too tall for me. Could I replace the 26 with a 24 without creating shifting problems?
    Is there any disadvantage to running a triple crank as a 2x10 by replacing the outer ring with a bash guard vs a 2x10 crank? 24/32 would work just fine for me.
    I have done exactly that. If you look back in this thread you will see pics of what it looks like. I shortened the chain by about 3 or 4 links. That is all. No disadvantage at all. Works really well and now I have more clearance to bunny hop big logs.

Mulleticious
    I used an old RaceFace bash ring I took off my SS 32T chainset - this is what it looks like with the big ring off. (BTW the triple was cheaper than the double here in Europe):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-imgp5775_800x600.jpg  

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-imgp5777_800x600.jpg  

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-imgp5778_800x600.jpg  

mtbr member
    you can replace the 26 w/ a 24.

You can buy aftermarket 2x10 XT cranks w 38/24 or 36/24 chainring combos.
    2014 Tallboy 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    You have legit trails thru designated 'wilderness' area where you are? You lucky bastard! How did that happen...grandfathered into the designation as pre-existing multi-use trail? We SO need something like that to retro some trails here in CO! The friggin' environmentalists are pretty militant here...
    Yes, sent you a link.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Just got a TB LTc with SPX AM kit. Replaced the 24/32/42 with 22/32/BR adjusted the derailleur and had no issues with shifting.

Bring back the Tour de GA
    Quote Originally Posted by dkestar View Post
    Just got a TB LTc with SPX AM kit. Replaced the 24/32/42 with 22/32/BR adjusted the derailleur and had no issues with shifting.
    Replaced the chainrings or replaced the crank?
    There's only two things in life (but I forget what they are). - John Hiatt

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Replaced the chainrings or replaced the crank?
    Chain rings. The SPX AM can be spec'd with 2x or 3x cranks.

mtbr member
    Any thoughts on wheel size for women? My wife is 5'4" and very athletic. Planning surprise her with a bike. Considering the Giant Anthem 29 and the Cannondale Lexi 26. Both are 2012s and on sale.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Swapped my reverb out from my ASR5, and took the TB for it's first proper ride this past weekend.
    This bike just blows me away.
    Here's a pic from one of our local riding spots - Africa Style

Now older but less slow!
    Okay here's a dumb question as I should know this....

I'm looking to put a Salsa lip-lock seat collar on the bike as I don't need the quick release anymore. What size do I need? 35mm right?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryn View Post

I'm looking to put a Salsa lip-lock seat collar on the bike as I don't need the quick release anymore. What size do I need? 35mm right?
    One question, are you going to be running a dropper? If so I'd look at Specialized clamp since it has a loop to hold the cable.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryn View Post

Yep 35 mm. I was surprised at how much the SC collar sucks. Got the lip lock for my TRc. Much better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    One question, are you going to be running a dropper? If so I'd look at Specialized clamp since it has a loop to hold the cable.
    But Salsa has much prettier colors
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Page 61 of 151 FirstFirst ... 11 51 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 71 111 ... LastLast