Page 61 of 100 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,050 of 4972
    Competent User

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy22 View Post
    How do you like the carbon rims?
    I like them and I can tell the difference on rocky descents, but I can't tell you I feel that much difference in weight. I haven't put it on the scale. I've also got to give it some more rides. I did it for stiffness more than weight, so we'll see how things are when I'm in a little better shape later this season.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    So I took apart my upper and lower pivots also. I felt a little extra movement (real or imagined?) in the lateral direction for the rear tire. I found a destroyed bearing in the upper and rusted and worn bolts everywhere else. So pro pack for me! Is there anything else I would need, or does pro pack cover everything? Also how about the bearing pullers and pressers on the SC site, needed? Thanks

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dustman View Post
    So I took apart my upper and lower pivots also. I felt a little extra movement (real or imagined?) in the lateral direction for the rear tire. I found a destroyed bearing in the upper and rusted and worn bolts everywhere else. So pro pack for me! Is there anything else I would need, or does pro pack cover everything? Also how about the bearing pullers and pressers on the SC site, needed? Thanks
    What kind of mileage/conditions do you ride in to destroy the bearings? Is if very wet in your locale?

I'm approaching two years and 2000 miles so wondering if I need be concerned in this area....

mtbr member
    Hi Leszazas ..
    have you had some time on this setup of yours?
    I have a Mojo SL with a left and I am in the process of going Tallboy with supermax .. but the I am afraid the 130mm lefty will mess the geometry up.

did you use the headset to compensate for this?

mtbr member
    Thanks for that news. Interresting. Im taking mine apart for sure. Ive done about 2000km 2yrs old.
    Supporting the Burry Gap.

mtbr member
    Aren't the pivot bearings with lifetime warranty?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SLIP TIP View Post
    Aren't the pivot bearings with lifetime warranty?
    Not a "warranty" per se, since they are wear and tear items, but they will replace them for the original owner for the life of the bike for free. The hardware is a different story, but if you are getting rust and/or catastrophic axle failure, that's definitely a warranty issue and they will take care of you. I had the rust issue, (which I assume comes from the steel washers as the rest of the hardware is titanium) and I got a new Pro-Pack for free.

mtbr member
    Cool

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I ride a couple times a week and wiegh around 230 kitted. It is really dry here in eastern Utah but I wash my bike alot, probably the rust. Like Harman said, the rust is from the washers though. I have had the bike for around 14 months and have ridden ski resorts, Moab, and Fruita, as an example of terrain.

I have taken apart my upper and lower pivots a couple times to lube up the axles and check stuff out, and never seen anything to be concerned about. But this time while trying to put back together the upper, I couldn't get the axle through. I looked closer and saw that the inner part of the bearing had broken apart and the balls were exposed. Exposed balls are rarely a good thing. especially on a bike.

mtbr member
    I ride a couple times a week and wiegh around 230 kitted. It is really dry here in eastern Utah but I wash my bike alot, probably the rust. Like Harman said, the rust is from the washers though. I have had the bike for around 14 months and have ridden ski resorts, Moab, and Fruita, as an example of terrain.

I have taken apart my upper and lower pivots a couple times to lube up the axles and check stuff out, and never seen anything to be concerned about. But this time while trying to put back together the upper, I couldn't get the axle through. I looked closer and saw that the inner part of the bearing had broken apart and the balls were exposed. Exposed balls are rarely a good thing. especially on a bike.
    Yeh... in the tech docs SC recon the tapered bearings are fragile and the removal tools are recommended. Maintenance is essential.

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    Okay, all this talk I reminding me I must inject some grease into the zerk fittings....

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I apologize if this is known by everybody already, but I went to santacruzbicycles.com and in the tech section there are exploded views and videos on how to service the pivot points. How to change bearings also.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey guys, just curious how long did ya wait for your tallboy ltc? I ordered mine since 1 jan 14. But the dealers still says its out of stock from santa cruz. So looking to cancel the order and get.it.from an overseas dealer.

mtbr member
    For some reason I cannot attach pics?

mtbr member
    Frame only is on the shelf in south africa.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Seems like my dealer is screwing with me then. Seems like a Large is not that Out of Stock after all.

mtbr member
    No **** ur been forgotten.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I will be going to Dirt Fest (Raystown Lake, PA) and planning/hoping/wishing to get to demo a TB LTc. I am in that between zone for their sizing (5'10"), and am looking for feedback from current owners on what sort of quirks (if any) the bike has so I can focus on picking out the correct size.
    I've been able to ride a medium at a LBS, but not on trails.
    Fairly sure the TB LTc will be my next bike, but I will give the Ripley a shot (currently on a Mojo), and might try some other 29ers for comparison.
    Anyway, any ride characteristics to look out for? Should I expect the L to feel more stable and the M to be more agile? Thanks for any help...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Seems like i gotta find some dealer willing to ship to me nw.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wrc2006 View Post
    I will be going to Dirt Fest (Raystown Lake, PA) and planning/hoping/wishing to get to demo a TB LTc. I am in that between zone for their sizing (5'10"), and am looking for feedback from current owners on what sort of quirks (if any) the bike has so I can focus on picking out the correct size.
    Fairly sure the TB LTc will be my next bike, but I will give the Ripley a shot (currently on a Mojo), and might try some other 29ers for comparison.
    Anyway, any ride characteristics to look out for? Should I expect the L to feel more stable and the M to be more agile? Thanks for any help...
    I'm 5'9 but have a long torso and short legs. I got the medium with a 75 mm stem. I could have easily fit on the large as well, but stand over and wheel base differences are noticeable. A smaller bike is just more maneuverable, especially important for 29ers. But, you can't buy small if it doesn't fit. I wanted a bike I could ride with a 60mm stem, but the 75 feels fine, and a little weight on the front feels like a good thing for slow technical handling.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I'm 5'9 but have a long torso and short legs. I got the medium with a 75 mm stem. I could have easily fit on the large as well, but stand over and wheel base differences are noticeable. A smaller bike is just more maneuverable, especially important for 29ers. But, you can't buy small if it doesn't fit.
    Similar situation here. I'm 5'9" with long legs/short torso. Medium LTc, 80mm stem - it's a perfect fit for me. I've played with shorter stems but it's too compromising on long steep climbs. I could have gone large, but I prefer the lighter, more nimble medium frame.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLIP TIP View Post
    For some reason I cannot attach pics?
    Well, Figure it out!

Like my Colorado sticker?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-sam_0229-40p-crop.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks Steve and Squeaky. I am hoping the medium will fit well without too long of a stem (want to stay at or under 90mm).
    The trails at Raystown will give me a good hint at climbing, but they are much smoother than what I typically ride. Hopefully the Santa Cruz demo fleet makes it.
    Do you guys run dropper posts?
    Edit: I see you run a dropper, Steve.

mtbr member
    Do you guys run dropper posts?

Yep my first dropper. I think I like it.
    I thought I would use it for really steep downhills, but it turns out there is a lot of fine tuning you can do and even an inch of adjustment makes a difference for different conditions. So I use it a lot. Some droppers only have an up or a down setting, but you can put the reverb anywhere, which is nice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Nice. And I DO like your CO sticker. My sister and brother-in-law live in CO Springs; I used to live outside Denver (almost a lifetime ago...). Visited them last summer, but was only in CO for a day, as we went to Park City to ride. My wife is supposed to have training at the Federal Center in the end of June - the boys and I might come along to visit family and friends.
    Did you buy a SC complete or piece it together yourself?

mtbr member
    Bought it complete with the X01 group, which was in stock at the shop I walked into. Walked out with a bike

Actually, I walked out with a receipt. They had to put the bike together for me.

Bodhisattva
    Yup. I have the Thomson. Smooth and solid feeling with an intelligently designed actuation lever. 8 months and not a glitch to report.

I'm riding similar terrain as Steve in Northern Colorado. I have mine setup with aggressive tires (On one 2.4 chunky monkey front, smorgasbord rear) 203/180 rotors, Push tuned suspension, dropper, etc. There are a few small frame geometry mods I'd make if I could, but it's a near perfect bike for aggressive riding.

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member

Re: Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    Yup. I have the Thomson. Smooth and solid feeling with an intelligently designed actuation lever. 8 months and not a glitch to report.

I'm riding similar terrain as Steve in Northern Colorado. I have mine setup with aggressive tires (On one 2.4 chunky monkey front, smorgasbord rear) 203/180 rotors, Push tuned suspension, dropper, etc. There are a few small frame geometry mods I'd make if I could, but it's a near perfect bike for aggressive riding.
    Try some DHF/DHR2 combo...like your bike sprouted claws!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member

Bought it complete with the X01 group
    Think I'm gonna upgrade my 2x10 to a RaceFace/X01 setup later this summer...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Try some DHF/DHR2 combo...like your bike sprouted claws!
    maybe some day, but I'm pretty satisfied with the On One combo. They grip like mad, have sidewalls like iron and are cheap.

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Well just placed my order for LTc. Black yellow
    Excited
    2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Think I'm gonna upgrade my 2x10 to a RaceFace/X01 setup later this summer...
    I thought you were going the Wolftooth 42 1x10 route.

mtbr member
    Well just placed my order for LTc. Black yellow
    Excited
    You better be excited! But I think they call it green, not yellow, believe it or not.

mtbr member

I thought you were going the Wolftooth 42 1x10 route.
    No Micky Mousing it. I'll need a new set of cranks to go 1xX to get down to a 26T front. That right there makes it more sensible to go whole hog...altho a King XD drive shell is craaaaazy spendy!
    Plus, getting stronger/into shape a bit now too. Did most of Alder/3-Sis in 32T/36cog combo w/ a coil on the back.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Well the official order from competitive was black/yellow lol
    Got it for 2700 shipped with $150 credit
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Any of you guys use the FrameSkin? Worth it?
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I would say the FrameSkin is worth it yes, from both an ease of application and an aesthetics standpoint. You can't even tell they are there. I also run a Cytoe heavy duty plate which is an absolute necessity given the location of the pivots. I actually wish I had applied more protection after a crash a few weeks ago that missed the FrameSkin and put some pretty significant scratches in the frame. I'm fairly certain this wreck would have dented an aluminum frame. I painted over them with some good enamel and threw some bonk film over the scratches, so far so good!

Bodhisattva
    I have some limited frame skin on my black/yellow LTc. It looks like crap, to be honest. I put it in high abrasion areas where cable rub was causing damage, and I keep it minimal. In regards to major impact, I don't think it would make a difference and am not too worried about.

I agree that the Cytoe guard is mandatory equipment

― Albert Einstein

Competent User
    I am a hair under 5'10" with a 30" inseam, and I have a medium. I could fit on the large, but I liked the smaller frame. I was very worried that I'd feel cramped, but it's been perfectly comfortable. I use a 55mm stem, and 760mm bars. It works perfectly for me, but I also read all sorts of other people who prefer the large at my size. The fact is, you'll have to sit on it and pedal.

And watch out for those SC demos. Get there early. They let you keep the bike as long as you want, and it can be quite a wait to get what you need. The good news is, you can keep the demo as long as you want. If you get it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Any of you guys use the FrameSkin? Worth it?
    I had it on my Tallboy and think it's worth it. I screwed up on a ride that caused my buddy to rear end me. Chewed up the frame skin on the seat stay, carbon was fine underneath.

You could hardly tell it was on my bike, so not sure where the looks like **** comment comes from.
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    You could hardly tell it was on my bike, so not sure where the looks like **** comment comes from.
    on my matte black/yellow frame, it makes the matte parts looks super glossy

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks Mr.Quint. I *think* they try to limit all demos to about an hour at Dirt Fest, but maybe I am wrong. Planning to get there early Friday morning to get out on the TB LTc; will check out other options later in the day and on Saturday. I am hoping that most of the people interested in SC will be all over the bronson and solo (last year at Dirt Fest it seemed like the fat bikes and few 27.5ers were the most popular...), leaving the TB LTs free. Anyway, thanks for the input and advice!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    on my matte black/yellow frame, it makes the matte parts looks super glossy
    Thats why for a matte black frame you order Matte frameskins. You messed up not the frame skins.

Here's what it looked like on my frame, you have to get up close to see it.
    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-img_4959.jpg
    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-img_4961.jpg
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Wow, getting a lot of sensitive little girls on MTBR lately.

Good ole dustman thinks I'm a dick for pointing out that Squeaky bought gloss for a matte frame and that it's his mistake not Frameskins.

So dustman we shouldn't correct someone when they say a product looks like ****, but find out they made the mistake?
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good ole dustman thinks I'm a dick for pointing out that Squeaky bought gloss for a matte frame and that it's his mistake not Frameskins.

So dustman we shouldn't correct someone when they say a product looks like ****, but find out they made the mistake?
    I got the matte and I can't even see mine- and it protects like a champ

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cptjack View Post
    I got the matte and I can't even see mine- and it protects like a champ
    Careful, you're essentially agreeing Squeaky is wrong, dustman's gonna get you with neg rep for being a dick
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Bodhisattva

My bad. i have racer's tape which is clear. Evidently not the same as frameskin. I actually said it looks like crap, not ****

not sure what the dustman rap is about. don't care. my skin is thicker than either frameskin or racertape.

thank goodness my mtbr e-rep wasn't harmed in the process

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My bad. i have racer's tape which is clear. Evidently not the same as frameskin. I actually said it looks like crap, not ****

not sure what the dustman rap is about. don't care. my skin is thicker than either frameskin or racertape.

thank goodness my mtbr e-rep wasn't harmed in the process
    Frameskins is a really nice product, the pieces are well designed and fit very well. Works well at protecting the frame and not being very obvious.
    As far as dustman,
    It’s not that I care about the idiotic rep system, but it does give a little insight into the newer generation of thin skinned “I’m offended” crowd.
    I wonder if we had been at a trail head and told you you should have bought matte instead of gloss, he would have called me a dick to my face.
    Love the web.
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamis63 View Post
    Has anyone else seen this issue, I took apart my upper pivot and found this. the upper control link had a broken collet axle. Attachment 889022Attachment 889023Attachment 889024
    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-imag0545.jpg

They sent me new axle kit and bearing kit no cost.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamis63 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0545.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	892114

They sent me new axle kit and bearing kit no cost.
    That's what I figured. Glad they took care of you.