Page 60 of 148 FirstFirst ... 10 50 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 70 110 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 3677
    mtbr member
    The elixers are alright. but the have really bad lever feel. like a lot of slop in the pull before it even stops braking. and their a ***** to bleed. I stick to shimano brakes
    My Girl friend said, " it's not about how LONG your travel is... its's how well you use it!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by partusa View Post
    I like the Hayes, but I never had those elixir so I would like to have some opinions before switching.
    I hated the Elixers on my Stumpjumper. Enough that I'll never own another pair of Avid brakes. I'm loving my XTs
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ok, some pics, crappy but pics non the less...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-2012-11-29_10-13-37_98.jpg  

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-2012-11-29_10-13-47_155.jpg  

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-2012-11-29_10-14-19_56.jpg  

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-2012-11-29_10-14-48_156.jpg  

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-2012-11-27_08-30-04_956.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    PartUSA, I would recommend you keep the i23 WTB wheels, they are just as well as Arch's and with the same width going tubeless will give you a wide footprint. They're good wheels, save your money and get some XT brakes, great stopping power, and quiet!

I'm curious, you say you had a RIP 9 Niner? What switched you over from CVA to VPP? Many people seem to believe the CVA is superior suspension platform. What are your impressions between both bikes? I'm interested to hear your view.

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    PartUSA, I would recommend you keep the i23 WTB wheels, they are just as well as Arch's and with the same width going tubeless will give you a wide footprint. They're good wheels, save your money and get some XT brakes, great stopping power, and quiet!

I'm curious, you say you had a RIP 9 Niner? What switched you over from CVA to VPP? Many people seem to believe the CVA is superior suspension platform. What are your impressions between both bikes? I'm interested to hear your view.
    I know nothing about the merits of CVA and VPP, but I've always thought rear suspension that acts in an almost "direct" line i.e. TBLTc, Specialized Stumpjumper etc is more efficient than suspension "pivoted" to act in a different line... (like the OLDER Stumpjumpers or Niner RIP 9)...?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigwheelsRbest View Post
    ...I've always thought rear suspension that acts in an almost "direct" line i.e. TBLTc, Specialized Stumpjumper etc is more efficient than suspension "pivoted" to act in a different line... (like the OLDER Stumpjumpers or Niner RIP 9)...?
    Wut?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

father, mountain biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Wut?
    If a suspension system has a single pivot, the rear wheel will rotate around the pivot instead of moving straight up and down. Imagine if he wheel was allowed to travel 90 degrees, it would end up directly above the pivot point.

VPP and some other suspension systems implement more complex pivot mechanisms to force the wheel to travel in a more direct up-and-down motion.
    "He seems quite arrogant and ignores quite some valid points." -Millfox
    "I don't like you" -ne_dan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamminadi View Post
    Got to ride my LTc for the first time this morning, felt just as great as the day I demoed one in early summer! My Blur LT and Niner EMD will be up for sale real soon, this bike combines both of those for me and then some, lots of some! Came in at 27.5 pounds...large frame, Fox Float CTD front/back, Arch EX on 240's, combined with my 2x9 XO/Elixir CR drivetrain and brakes from my Blur LT. Also have my old Joplin 3 lever seat post on it and some orange Chris King bling here and there. Really happy with it! Pics to follow one of these days.

I might next summer convert to the 1x11 Sram XX1 after seeing how much people love/hate it.
    How tall are you? I am struggling to decide if I should get a M or a L. The shop is trying to convince me that a M with a slight seat adjust and stem length is the way to go. The bike would probably feel pretty good with those adjustments. The only remaining concern is I prefer flat pedals. I couldn't avoid feeling that my feet were going to hit the tires on sharp turns. Not sure if this is the situation associated with 29ers or the size.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post

Unfortunately I cannot give you any feedback because I was not able to take the tallboy to the trail yet. I will post some comments after the weekend.
    The niner is a great bike, but I prefer something with a little bit more travel. I can also say that the paint on my hot tamale niner SUCKS, paint chips everywhere! (check the forums).

mtbr member
    Need some help:
    Im 5'10 and trying to decide between a M or L TB LTc. Shop is pushing a M with a slightly longer stem and a saddle adjust. I rode a friends M on a 5 mile trail and it felt a bit cramped when climbing. Though this was without any adjustments. Also, I use flat pedals and couldn't shake the feeling that my feet would contact the front wheel on aggressive turns. Not sure if the latter would change much with a 1" size increase. I am also new to 29s so this could be the norm and something that goes away with more time on the bike.

The M is the SPX build the L is RAM. Both are 2012 and 30% off MSRP.

Thanks in advance for the input

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Wut?
    Yeah, I know, I'm not good at explaining it - if I could sketch it I'd show you what I mean...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    As far as I know... short stem for descending and longer stem for climbing... it is going to be depending on your riding style... I was in the edge from a small and a medium SL29er... I went for a small, bad choice... better a longer size with small stem... good luck!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LB412 View Post
    Need some help:
    Im 5'10 and trying to decide between a M or L TB LTc. Shop is pushing a M with a slightly longer stem and a saddle adjust. I rode a friends M on a 5 mile trail and it felt a bit cramped when climbing. Though this was without any adjustments. Also, I use flat pedals and couldn't shake the feeling that my feet would contact the front wheel on aggressive turns. Not sure if the latter would change much with a 1" size increase. I am also new to 29s so this could be the norm and something that goes away with more time on the bike.

The M is the SPX build the L is RAM. Both are 2012 and 30% off MSRP.

Thanks in advance for the input
    I'm the same height and own a Tallboy C in a large and it feels great. Spent time on the trail with the LTC and I rode the Lagre and it felt very comfortable, like perfect. I say go with a large, especially if you felt the med was cramped. At our heights we are on edges for a Med or Large, but again, go with a large.

mtbr member
    The shop just called. One of the M SPX is labeled incorrectly. Its actually an L. I asked them to add stem legnth to the M and change to a 60mm from a 70mm on the L. Planning to try both in the morning and hopefully have a new bike for the weekend. My bet is I'll be going home with the L.

Thanks for the input. I'll let you know how it goes

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The shop just called. One of the M SPX is labeled incorrectly. Its actually an L. I asked them to add stem legnth to the M and change to a 60mm from a 70mm on the L. Planning to try both in the morning and hopefully have a new bike for the weekend. My bet is I'll be going home with the L.

Thanks for the input. I'll let you know how it goes
    I'm 5'10, bought a medium LTa. I had Stumpy 29 and Niner RIP 9, both large (got good deals on both). The guy from Specialized recommended a medium and he was right. The large is too big. I'll see how the medium tallboy feels on the trail this weekend.

mtbr member
    Im on a L Intense Spider now. Right or wrong fit I have become accustomed to the feel of the bigger bike... which is another reason this has been a challenge. Its tough to go against the "experts" at the shop (who suggest the M). I'll try both again in the morning and let you guys know how it goes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

mtbr member
    Ronyc,
    Thanks! But that's a pretty high price for a CroMo railed saddle...

Edit: plus, I just found me a set of M988 brakes for a good price and the TB fund is drained again
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    5'11" With a Large LT: 50 cm stem + wide bars = bad ass mountain machine

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just realized that too, no worries.

mtbr member
    Went with the size L and a 60mm stem. Once I got the saddle height right it fit like a glove. I added the HT AE02 flat pedals in orange... looks pretty rad. I'll post photos when I pick it up on Sunday.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    How tall are you? I am struggling to decide if I should get a M or a L. The shop is trying to convince me that a M with a slight seat adjust and stem length is the way to go. The bike would probably feel pretty good with those adjustments. The only remaining concern is I prefer flat pedals. I couldn't avoid feeling that my feet were going to hit the tires on sharp turns. Not sure if this is the situation associated with 29ers or the size.

Thoughts?
    I'm 6'0", 32-33 inch inseam, and to me the large is just right. I was for sure more stretched out on my old Blur LT that was also a large. A buddy of mine who I ride with once and awhile is 6'1" and went with an XL, but 60 mm stem and thinks that's fine for him. I know when I look at the bike sitting there it looks big. But when I am on it, it feels and rides great. I could maybe drop to 60-70mm stem for me, though don't want to sacrifice any climbing/wandering. So for now till I have had the bike for awhile and ridden it on a bunch of stuff, 80mm feels great. I also ride clipped in, so don't have issues with the shoes hitting the tires. Though it's kind of raked out for a 29er, so you shouldn't have an issue with whatever shoes/pedals (flats) you use. To be safe, maybe demo a M and L!

On a side note...why are posts being reshuffled a few days back, anyone know? I posted this as the last post the other day, then just now realized it wasn't towards the end.

mtbr member
    I went with the L and a 60 stem. Once I dialed in the saddle height it fit perfectly and front tire shoe is a non issue. Ill post a few pics after I pick it up on Tuesday.

Thanks for the help everyone.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Im 5'11 and need large.
    My palms dont drag along the ground, but my body is a bit longer than my legs.
    Ok OK im short legged. But I have a big foot!

CoopermanGSA
    I'm coming from 26 wheels and have the TB LTC on demo for the weekend.

First impressions are very good in terms of flattening out the trail - to the point where you can easily be drawn into going for things you would never think of attempting previously but the penalty for failure is higher

One negative is I bottomed out on the pedals over a flat lumpy rocky path. Not sure if I have got the set up right or this is normal for the bike

Page 60 of 148 FirstFirst ... 10 50 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 70 110 ... LastLast