• 04-27-2014
    SLIP TIP
    I'm 5ft 10. I use a large TB LTc. I went for a fitment recently and my line up was way out I've had to move my saddle Max forward on a zero post. Secondly I went from the 70mm stem to a 90mm. What a huge difference. Climbing is a lot easier. Now I also feel equal stress in both legs. I don't think I would of fit on a medium. Really happy with the large

    Whats the thoughts on the M9020 XTR on its way? Will the new style front detailed work on the TB LTc?
    2 x 11 trail for me. 26/36.
  • 04-27-2014
    max_croft
    I'm 5'11" and I could only test a large LT and a medium Tallboy. The moment I sat on the medium tallboy I felt cramped, the large LT had a better feel. Only problem was back then the guy who did my bike setup was a hardcore XC rider so my fork was cut maybe half an inch lower than I would've liked. Lots of pressure on my hands on longer rides, but yeah, test them both, for me you will know within a few pedal strokes whether or not the bike is too small or big.
  • 04-27-2014
    smilinsteve
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SLIP TIP View Post
    I'm 5ft 10. I use a large TB LTc. I went for a fitment recently and my line up was way out I've had to move my saddle Max forward on a zero post. Secondly I went from the 70mm stem to a 90mm. What a huge difference. Climbing is a lot easier. Now I also feel equal stress in both legs. I don't think I would of fit on a medium. Really happy with the large

    Whats the thoughts on the M9020 XTR on its way? Will the new style front detailed work on the TB LTc?
    2 x 11 trail for me. 26/36.

    What's the logic with moving everything forward like that?
  • 04-28-2014
    SLIP TIP
    Its the relationship beween the knee and the pedal when the crank is horizontal. Mine was to short so my saddle went fwd. I did a specialized BG fitment. Well worth it. What a difference.
  • 04-28-2014
    Jamis63
    3 Attachment(s)
    Broken Axle
    Has anyone else seen this issue, I took apart my upper pivot and found this. the upper control link had a broken collet axle. Attachment 889022Attachment 889023Attachment 889024
  • 04-28-2014
    hillharman
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Jamis63 View Post
    Has anyone else seen this issue, I took apart my upper pivot and found this. the upper control link had a broken collet axle. Attachment 889022Attachment 889023Attachment 889024

    Definitely get in touch with Santa Cruz about that. I sense a new Pro Pack (hopefully gratis) in your future.
  • 04-28-2014
    yeahdog31
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Jamis63 View Post
    Has anyone else seen this issue, I took apart my upper pivot and found this. the upper control link had a broken collet axle.

    Just curious -- What caused you to pull apart and discover that? Was it just routine maintenance or was there crazy flex/squeaking?
  • 04-28-2014
    SLIP TIP
    I will be taking mine apart...****! To have a look.
  • 04-29-2014
    Jamis63
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by yeahdog31 View Post
    Just curious -- What caused you to pull apart and discover that? Was it just routine maintenance or was there crazy flex/squeaking?

    Well our trails have just dried up so I guess spring maintenance. It must of happened last year. But I don't remember excecive flex or anything. The side with the collet was still locked in place so just a slight amount of wear on the thread side.
  • 04-29-2014
    SLIP TIP
    WOW...the other pivot bolt must be stressed after carrying that extra load.
  • 04-29-2014
    Mr.Quint
    I think my TBLTc is just about finished up for now. I think it looked a hell of a lot better with my white Sun Ringlé Charger Pros, but I'll take performance over looks in this case.

    I started with RAM kit in the fall, and the long winter gave me a lot of time to pile up brown boxes with goodies.

    I love this bike. But, we have a newborn, and riding time is perilously limited.







    Highlights:
    Reverb
    30mm glossy Chinese carbon rims on Hope Pro 2 Evo (40t) hubs
    SLX brakes
    Spank Spikes
    Enve DH handlebar, cut to 760 with Easton grips
    Chromag Trailmaster LTD saddle
    Wolftooth 42t giant cog with 30t Race Face N/W chainring
  • 04-29-2014
    hillharman
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mr.Quint View Post
    I think my TBLTc is just about finished up for now. I think it looked a hell of a lot better with my white Sun Ringlé Charger Pros, but I'll take performance over looks in this case.

    I started with RAM kit in the fall, and the long winter gave me a lot of time to pile up brown boxes with goodies.

    I love this bike. But, we have a newborn, and riding time is perilously limited.







    Highlights:
    Reverb
    30mm glossy Chinese carbon rims on Hope Pro 2 Evo (40t) hubs
    SLX brakes
    Spank Spikes
    Enve DH handlebar, cut to 760 with Easton grips
    Chromag Trailmaster LTD saddle
    Wolftooth 42t giant cog with 30t Race Face N/W chainring

    Nice build.
  • 04-30-2014
    SLIP TIP
    I've just ordered a Easton EC70 wide flat bar..... 720 I think looking forward to trying that out... new wheel's 2. Easton EA90 XC that hub is a nightmare I've send them back on warranty waiting for there return.. So I'm leaning heavily towards mavic crossmax ST. The hope pro 2 hubs have had some good reviews.
  • 04-30-2014
    smilinsteve
    The EC 70 came on my bike. The shop set it up with The sweep pointed more up than back. I thought that was dumb and changed it, but now I'm thinking it might have felt better that way so I might change it back.
  • 04-30-2014
    SLIP TIP
    Cool. I will play with that and check.
  • 04-30-2014
    dustman
    I've been putting alot of miles on my LTc over the last couple months. I have the 150 pike and CC DBA cs. There is a pic a couple pages back. I took it to Moab a week ago and rode down Kokopelis. awsome trail conditions right now!

    What I've noticed on these upgrades is how forgiving the bike is. I have launched off of some unseen ledges, 2'-3', and thought in the air-this is gonna hurt! Then I ride it out. I think it has to do with the seemingly "bottomless" feel of both shocks. they don't bottom out and send me flying. They pretty much take the hit and keep moving!

    I posted my settings a couple pages back also, I don't remember them right now.
  • 04-30-2014
    smilinsteve
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 889556This thread needs more pictures!
  • 04-30-2014
    smilinsteve
    1 Attachment(s)
    I think this green strip down the back of the seat tube might be a bit too obnoxious for me. What would be a good way to cover it up, like with some black or gray or carbon looking tape?
  • 04-30-2014
    Gripo
    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread
    ^ look into 3M's wrap tape that's the current fashion in the after market car scene....people cover their cars completely in it....available at goid auto stores and even on eBay...

    I used it on my Solo to cover the green....
  • 04-30-2014
    SLIP TIP
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I think this green strip down the back of the seat tube might be a bit too obnoxious for me. What would be a good way to cover it up, like with some black or gray or carbon looking tape?

    What size stem are you using and is that a medium frame.
  • 04-30-2014
    smilinsteve
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SLIP TIP View Post
    What size stem are you using and is that a medium frame.


    It's a medium frame with 60mm stem flipped down. I'm 5'9 but with a long torso, and still playing with fit. I think I want a little more reach and the bars a little higher, so my next plan is to flip the stem back up, and raise it with some spacers, and rotate the bar so the sweep is partially up. I could also move the seat back a bit, since its at the middle of the rails right now. that will probably give me the bit of extra reach I want, but if not, I have a 75mm stem laying around I could try as well.
  • 04-30-2014
    smilinsteve
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gripo View Post
    ^ look into 3M's wrap tape that's the current fashion in the after market car scene....people cover their cars completely in it....available at goid auto stores and even on eBay...

    I used it on my Solo to cover the green....

    Do you have a specific product name or number? Did you actually wrap your bike, or just lay down a strip? Got any pictures?
  • 04-30-2014
    Gripo
    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread
    try here

    http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ping/?MDR=true

    I cut strips and applied over the stock decals, cleaned it first with some alcohol and used a hairdryer to get it to comply with curves and set..
  • 04-30-2014
    smilinsteve
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SLIP TIP View Post
    What size stem are you using and is that a medium frame.

    Here's a picture when I picked it up at the shop. You can see the stem was higher and the bars are swept upwards.
  • 04-30-2014
    TwoTone
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Do you have a specific product name or number? Did you actually wrap your bike, or just lay down a strip? Got any pictures?

    Having done both the 3M and Framskins- I'd suggest Frameskins.

    Yes more expensive, but it's laser cut and fits perfectly. Saves a ton of time.

    Frameskin for SC Tallboy2 - Frameskin
  • 04-30-2014
    smilinsteve
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Having done both the 3M and Framskins- I'd suggest Frameskins.

    Yes more expensive, but it's laser cut and fits perfectly. Saves a ton of time.

    Frameskin for SC Tallboy2 - Frameskin

    That's pretty cool. You linked to the Tallboy 2 however. Here's the link to the TBLTc

    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc - Frameskin

    So the stickers have the graphics printed on them? It looks like they have the sticker set for last years colors, which is pretty cool, since I like the orange better than the green, but the stickers were in different places last year, and I don't think they provide a sticker for the back of the seat tube.

    How'd your bike come out?
  • 04-30-2014
    smilinsteve
    After more research, I think the frameskin stuff is transparent, and wouldn't work to cover up a color.

    There is this company called Vidiom that is doing some cool replacement graphics stuff. The stickers go right over your old graphics I guess. This blacked out Bronson looks awesome:



    Stealth Bronson (a.k.a The Zephyr) - Straightshotmtb's Bike Check - Vital MTB
  • 04-30-2014
    Gripo
    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread
    ^ they are in Canada.....theres also a black/pink and black/blue in the Bronson thread...
  • 04-30-2014
    SLIP TIP
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Here's a picture when I picked it up at the shop. You can see the stem was higher and the bars are swept upwards.

    Yeh...I see the bar angle. 1st glance bit like a riser. . Im 5.10 with large. Ive had to bang my seat max forward ive gone 90 on the stem. Climbing is now so much easier. If you get a chance a good fitment is worth it. Saves a lot of testing expenses. I also needed a wider saddle. Nice bike pics!
  • 04-30-2014
    smilinsteve
    Duplicate
  • 04-30-2014
    smilinsteve
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SLIP TIP View Post
    Yeh...I see the bar angle. 1st glance bit like a riser. . Im 5.10 with large. Ive had to bang my seat max forward ive gone 90 on the stem. Climbing is now so much easier. If you get a chance a good fitment is worth it. Saves a lot of testing expenses. I also needed a wider saddle. Nice bike pics!

    I put my trusty Specialized saddle on. I think it's called an Avatar and it's the widest version. It weighs 355 vs the 235 for the WTB saddle it came with. A quarter pound gained, but my booty is worth it!
  • 04-30-2014
    TheNormsk
    1 Attachment(s)
    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    This thread needs more pictures!

    Here you go!

    Attachment 889759
  • 04-30-2014
    smilinsteve
    Nice one! You could probably sell that shot to Santa Cruz!
  • 04-30-2014
    Jonesy22
    Ok I may place my Ltc order tomorrow. So now black and yellow or blue. But seems like all of my bikes have been blue lol
  • 05-01-2014
    max_croft
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Nice one! You could probably sell that shot to Santa Cruz!

    not with those bar ends! j/k :D
  • 05-01-2014
    TheNormsk
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by max_croft View Post
    not with those bar ends! j/k :D

    Funny! I thought that myself. However in the 1500 ft of climbing to get to this point I used those bar ends a lot. I walked a lot as well but that is another story..... :D
  • 05-01-2014
    Milwillfly
    1 Attachment(s)
    Been on here for a while now but only just got round to registering , anyway here's mine!

    Attachment 889887
  • 05-01-2014
    alwync
    1 Attachment(s)
    This is in Sabie South Africa

    Attachment 889892
  • 05-01-2014
    smilinsteve
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Milwillfly View Post
    Been on here for a while now but only just got round to registering , anyway here's mine!

    Attachment 889887

    What kind of wheels are those?
  • 05-01-2014
    cytoe
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    What kind of wheels are those?

    Looks like e*thirteen
  • 05-01-2014
    smilinsteve
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cytoe View Post
    Looks like e*thirteen

    Oh. Thanks Cytoe.

    I just mentioned you in this thread:

    http://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/carbo...az-911072.html
  • 05-01-2014
    Milwillfly
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    What kind of wheels are those?

    Yeah, they're the E*Thirteen TRS+'s.
  • 05-01-2014
    SLIP TIP
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by alwync View Post
    This is in Sabie South Africa

    Attachment 889892

    Is that cross max ST. ? Im about to pull the trigger in a set. How have they been?
  • 05-01-2014
    Pau11y
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 05-01-2014
    TheNormsk
    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post

    Not wide enough! :D
  • 05-01-2014
    reamer41
    1 Attachment(s)
    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread
    Celebrated our two-year anniversary today!
  • 05-02-2014
    Jonesy22
    How do you like the carbon rims?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mr.Quint View Post
    I think my TBLTc is just about finished up for now. I think it looked a hell of a lot better with my white Sun Ringlé Charger Pros, but I'll take performance over looks in this case.

    I started with RAM kit in the fall, and the long winter gave me a lot of time to pile up brown boxes with goodies.

    I love this bike. But, we have a newborn, and riding time is perilously limited.







    Highlights:
    Reverb
    30mm glossy Chinese carbon rims on Hope Pro 2 Evo (40t) hubs
    SLX brakes
    Spank Spikes
    Enve DH handlebar, cut to 760 with Easton grips
    Chromag Trailmaster LTD saddle
    Wolftooth 42t giant cog with 30t Race Face N/W chainring

  • 05-02-2014
    smilinsteve
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post

    Is this one of those "Find the bike in the picture" games?

    I'll play:

    Attachment 890200
  • 05-02-2014
    smilinsteve
    1 Attachment(s)
    This was today. I switched my stem from 60 to 75, and it seems to be about right. Also rotated my bars so the sweep goes a little upward again. Felt good.
    Did some good climbing today and got plenty of use out of my 26x42 granny.

    I also realized that my Reverb post is about a half inch too long even with the lower part of the post completely down into the seat tube.

    I wonder if there is a way to put in a spacer to reduce the amount of post exposed at full extension?
  • 05-02-2014
    reamer41
    1 Attachment(s)
    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Is this one of those "Find the bike in the picture" games?

    I'll play:

    Attachment 890200

    Me too.