Page 59 of 100 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,950 of 4972
    mtbr member
    May 2010
    I replaced my worn out DU bushings with these and have had great results.

Universal Cycles -- Enduro Rear Shock Needle Bearing Kits

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So is this the only part I would need for a 2013 Tallboy LTC with a CTD shock. NBKRWC2185 $30.99 Would I need to order anything else like a shim kit and if so would it be the 6mm or 8mm shim kit. Thanks

mtbr member
    This Enduro needle bearing thread has been helpful to a lot of people and Chris has been good about answering questions on it:

Enduro shock eye needle bearing kit

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by peter19ue View Post
    So is this the only part I would need for a 2013 Tallboy LTC with a CTD shock. NBKRWC2185 $30.99 Would I need to order anything else like a shim kit and if so would it be the 6mm or 8mm shim kit. Thanks
    I have the same set up as you and I used one of the Enduro Needle Bearing sets, for $9.00 from Universal Cycles - see link above. The M6x21.85 size. Install it where the shock mounts to the upper VPP link. The downtube mount one doesn't rotate much but for $9 you could add one there too for less than the RWC version. Put a bit of light grease, like Slick Honey, in there and they are good to go. I've been on mine for a year without issue other than periodic cleaning/regreasing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scarver233 View Post
    I have the same set up as you and I used one of the Enduro Needle Bearing sets, for $9.00 from Universal Cycles - see link above. The M6x21.85 size. Install it where the shock mounts to the upper VPP link. The downtube mount one doesn't rotate much but for $9 you could add one there too for less than the RWC version. Put a bit of light grease, like Slick Honey, in there and they are good to go. I've been on mine for a year without issue other than periodic cleaning/regreasing.
    Enduro is the name for the RWC bearings, and it looks like Universal is selling a generic substitute, not "enduro" right?

One thing to note on the RWC version (which is more expensive), is that they come with 3 slightly different diameter axles, so you can pick the perfect fit with no play. I guess that in the past some people would have play in their set up because the shock eyelet diameters vary a little. The 3 diameter axles eliminates this potential problem.

JTB
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'll be taking delivery of my new LTc in a week or so - stock X01 build plus Enve wheels. My first new bike in several years...

What should I check for when I go to pick it up at my LBS? Does the bike come with anything? Shock pump, grease gun, ect.?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JTB View Post
    I'll be taking delivery of my new LTc in a week or so - stock X01 build plus Enve wheels. My first new bike in several years...

What should I check for when I go to pick it up at my LBS? Does the bike come with anything? Shock pump, grease gun, ect.?
    My bike didn't come with any of that, but I got a very nice discount, so I'm not complaining. But you should ask them for that.

I would recommend asking the shop to help you with any upgrades you want to make. It will be cheaper than doing it down the road, because they can resell whatever they take off.
    I switched out the heavy high roller II's for lighter tires, got some pedals, and a smaller chainring. These types of things give you bargaining room too.

As far as set up, my Reverb hose was way too long, which I didn't notice until I got it home. It turns out it is easy to shorten and a bleed is not necessary if you do it right.

Check the reverb thumb lever position. they make right and left hand models, and mine came with a right hand lever mounted on the left. This seemed wrong when I got it home, but I googled it and found that a lot of people recommend running the right hand lever upside down on the left so it doesn't get damaged when you turn the bike over to work on it.

My thru axle in the front needed a little adjustment because they had it set up with the handle pointing forward. Easy to fix, but it was my first thru axle so I had to figure it out.

I like working on my bike so I didn't nit pick them about every little adjustment, but they did take the time to go out to the parking lot and work on the shock pressures and sag and stuff with me until it seemed pretty dialed in.

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)

My bike came with the Santa Cruz grease gun and grease. I don't recall getting a shock pump but I had two already....

I took an audit of some of the damage to my bike after 20 months and 1900 rough miles of riding it. A year of riding Hans Dampf tires really took its toll on the chain stays. This is riding in a mostly dry climate so I would hate to see the damage other get in wet/muddy conditions..

Non-drive side is the worse..
    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-img_0644.jpg
    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-img_0651.jpg

Drive side..
    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-img_0645.jpg
    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-img_0653.jpg

I'm a little annoyed at how the rear deraileur tends to push the disk into the chain stay when removing/installing the wheel. That has damaged quite a bit of paint there.
    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-img_0646.jpg

This may be the most worrisome damage. I'm guessing this is from crashing and this is on the top tube. I'll have to keep an eye on this to make sure it doesn't spread - indicating carbon damage.
    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-img_0649.jpg

I also have regular cable rub around the head tube. I probably should have put heli tape on he bike but its probably too late now.. How does this compare your your bikes?
    Last edited by TheNormsk; 04-22-2014 at 11:59 AM. Reason: 20 months not 2...

mtbr member
    Are you thinking of taping the wear areas on the chain stays?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Is anyone running the $199 RWC X-15 bottom bracket and is it worth the price?

mtbr member

Re: Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    I took an audit of some of the damage to my bike after 2 months of riding it. A year of riding Hans Dampf tires really took its toll on the chain stays. This is riding in a mostly dry climate so I would hate to see the damage other get in wet/muddy conditions..

Non-drive side is the worse..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0644.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	887596

Name:	IMG_0651.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	887601

Drive side..

Name:	IMG_0645.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	887597

Name:	IMG_0653.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	887602

I'm a little annoyed at how the rear deraileur tends to push the disk into the chain stay when removing/installing the wheel. That has damaged quite a bit of paint there.

Name:	IMG_0646.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	887599

This may be the most worrisome damage. I'm guessing this is from crashing and this is on the top tube. I'll have to keep an eye on this to make sure it doesn't spread - indicating carbon damage.

Name:	IMG_0649.jpg 
Views:	540 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	887600

I also have regular cable rub around the head tube. I probably should have put heli tape on he bike but its probably too late now.. How does this compare your your bikes?
    I keep going thru forks w/ clicking/creaking CSUs. My Pike just started...air side leg. Ethan @ Maverick Suspension will be sending them back for me.

But as far as your damage to paint, no tire rub in my rear swingarm yoke, no disc caused damage to my stay, and my frame IS covered w/ heli-tape and rubber tape at the widest point in the rr triangle. I DO have some paint flaking off my rr brake tab eyelets...but I go back and forth between XTR Trails and Elixir CRs...FYI, the XTRs don't even come close to the CRs' power!

Sent from my MyTouch 4G Slide using Tapatalk
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member

Re: Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread

Quote Originally Posted by peter19ue View Post
    Is anyone running the $199 RWC X-15 bottom bracket and is it worth the price?
    Are they ceramic bearings? That's mighty expensive for a BB! I'm on Kings and it's only like $140...

Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yeah no BB is worth $200. The King BBs are really nice, though. Buy one and get the grease injector to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    ...and my frame IS covered w/ heli-tape and rubber tape at the widest point in the rr triangle.
    What tape do you use?

While I certainly won't get it pretty again, I may stop it from getting worse..

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    They are ceramic bearing but $199 does seem like a lot. Can anyone point me to a link for the correct King BBs for an LTc with XTR cranks. Thanks!

Would this be it Chris King MTB External Bottom Bracket > Components > Drivetrain > Bottom Brackets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Looks like they also sell a tool that allows you to grease the bearings. I tend to keep riding in the winter when it's rainy and muddy so would this be a better option than the stock shimano bb. Looks like I could reuse the King bracket and grease the bearing if they start making noise and would this be a better option than the X-15 bb @ $199

mtbr member

All taped up

K, sorry the reply button no worky on The Man's 'puter...

in Golden, Colorado, United States - photo by pau11y - Pinkbike

The black tape is 3M 2155, from Home Depot. It's the rubber stuff that's like the pre-vulcanized/self adhering marine electrical stuff. It's ~ 5/8" wide.
    The heli-tape I bought from findtape.com:
    ISC Helicopter-OG-HD Surface Guard Tape at FindTape.com

The heli-tape is a BIATCH to work with...too thick! You can see what happens after time...the stuff starts shrinking and leaves glue residue everywhere. My goal wasn't for prettiness, but for abrasion and minor impact protection:

Anyway, the take makes the bike ugly as hell...hopefully deters thieves too. But, the carbon under there is very nicely protected.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    K, sorry the reply button no worky on The Man's 'puter...

The black tape is 3M 2155, from Home Depot. It's the rubber stuff that's like the pre-vulcanized/self adhering marine electrical stuff. It's ~ 5/8" wide.
    The heli-tape I bought from findtape.com:
    ISC Helicopter-OG-HD Surface Guard Tape at FindTape.com

The heli-tape is a BIATCH to work with...too thick! You can see what happens after time...the stuff starts shrinking and leaves glue residue everywhere. My goal wasn't for prettiness, but for abrasion and minor impact protection:

Anyway, the take makes the bike ugly as hell...hopefully deters thieves too. But, the carbon under there is very nicely protected.
    I'm looking to do some taping tomorrow as I've got some unexpected down time.

Lowes and Ace Hardware, and Wally World are what I got to deal with.

Looking for some clear tape choices.

Advice?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Normsc, I would think that damage is aesthetic rather than structural. I feel your pain though, a few weeks ago I put mine into the side of a rock, a corner of a big rock. Wierd crash where the left side of the downtube ended up being laid with my weight still on the bike into the rock with me still on it. I was very scared of what I might find when i pulled the bike away from the rock. Several gouges at least as deep as the paint, hopefully not into the carbon. I filled it in with enamel and then put some of that bonk tape over the top of it. I did install a frameskin kit when the frame was new, but this incident just missed the frameskin. If the bonk tape had been there from the get it probably would have saved the paint. Hopefully the only thing it will really affect is my resale, but I don't plan on selling this baby any time soon!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Traded in my TB for TBLTc about 6 weeks ago, loving it! Need some advice on my fork tune, NB moved from Fox 100mm to Pike 150mm!! I'm about 80kg fully kitted (177lbs), running 30% sag at 65psi. My favourite trails include lots of rock gardens and single and double drops which the Pike deals with superbly on full open position, they also include some ramps and gaps which have to be "popped" over, here I struggle to get the same pop I used to get with the 100mm (don't have remote so I am still on open). I have one token, have now dialled in the rebound to 4 clicks from fast (the bunny), LSC is 2 clicks from minimum. I get the full 150mm on this.
    Thinking of 25% sag and min rebound (all the way to the bunny). Any body got any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    I'm looking to do some taping tomorrow as I've got some unexpected down time.

Lowes and Ace Hardware, and Wally World are what I got to deal with.

Looking for some clear tape choices.

Advice?
    I don't think you'll find any heli-tape at any of those places. My Blur LTc is covered in 3M clear bra stuff and that's a LOT easier to work with, but it's thinner. The stuff on the stays are a lot easier to be had...at at less than $3 a roll. The heli-tape is easily an order of magnitude more expensive, as is the clear bra stuff.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Sorry so long to reply, what is "BG" fitment? sorry for my ignorance.
    Im 80Kg and now running Hans Dampf up front (22psi) and Racing Ralph at the back (25psi), jury still out on the HD snake skins - pretty heavy. Very sandy on trails in Cape Town at the moment, we'll see what happens when they firm up with the rain which is due!
    Im running XO1 with 30 up front. 32 is good enough though, I'm just lazy!

mtbr member
    I almost went thru a whole role of 3m heli tape. Added it before building the bike, and took a few hours to do. I also rounded all the corners for a smooth look. Still ended up with a few dings after 1 year/1,000 miles.
    2012 SC Tallboy LTc X9 Talas Build in '13
    Prior bikes: 2012 Camber Comp 29er, 2010 RIP9, 2005 D'ale Prophet/Jekyll

mtbr member
    How are the LTc frames holding up for heavier and larger riders (250+)? Also, has shock pressure been an issue for anyone? It looks as though the ratio for this suspension design requires a similar weight/psi to reach proper sag.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Anyone have a TLC on black and yellow for sale? I am 5'11. Prob need a large?
    2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    M might work

mtbr member
    There is one here in az on craigslist with the xt build for$4999

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am 240 geared and have not had any issues in a year. Max drops probably 2-3 feet with some jumping. I ditched the float because it was extremely weak mid stroke, but I ran it at 240-250 psi. CCDB air with climb switch...huge improvement.

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy22 View Post
    Anyone have a TLC on black and yellow for sale? I am 5'11. Prob need a large?
    I'm 5'11 and ride a large. If I were to go back in time and buy again I'd probably buy a medium.

5'11" with 32" inseam is a awkward in between size. You can go large or medium depending on feel.

For me, the large rolls well but it's doesn't like to get its front end up (except when climbing) so I think a medium would return a more playful bike. With that said a medium would probably be less stable on climbs.

You'll really need to test ride both.
    Last edited by TheNormsk; 04-25-2014 at 12:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hmm closest dealer is about 2 hours away
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hmm closest dealer is about 2 hours away
    I'm 5'11 and ride a large. If I were to go back in time and buy again I'd probably buy a medium.

5'11" with 32" inseam is a awkward I between size. You can go large or medium depending on feel.

For me, the large rolls well but it's does like to get its front end up (except when climbing) so I think a medium would return a more playful bike. With that said a medium would probably be less stable on climbs.

You'll really need to test ride both.
    I felt the opposite and yes I'm 5' 10 3/4" with a 32 inseam. Large was perfect, medium too cramped.

Why did I post this, because a 2 hour drive is better than buying the wrong size, regretting it and losing money.
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm 5'10, maybe even 5'9 1/2 with a 32 inseam. I rode a Med LT last year and had a blast, but felt like it was too small in most cases. I'd go with a large for sure if I went back to the TBLT. I'm on a large Bronson now and it's reach is a decent bit longer then a large TBLT and I'm thinking it still feels too cramped at times...

mtbr member
    I'm 5'9" 29" inseam, riding a medium with 60mm stem, and it feels perfect.

Its weird because my other bike has a longer top tube and a set back seat post, and it feels perfect too (Maybe 1 to 1.5" more reach - I'll have to measure).

Part of the explanation is that my bars are wider on my TBLT. I didn't think wide bars would make that much of a difference but I guess they do.

I think having the bars slightly lower on my TBLT also moves my weight a bit forward.

Interesting subtleties about proper fit.

When I was shopping, some mediums seemed to fit and sometimes it was a large. Published ETT's were not a good predictor of what size felt best, which was surprising to me. Glad I didn't mail order a bike based on published geometry numbers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Over 5'10" you should definitely be on a large unless you have a really oddly proportioned body. I'm 6' even and there's absolutely no way I could ride a medium. I have a friend who is probably 5'9" and prefers the large.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I hate being between sizes lol. I ride a Medium Yelli Screamy and a Large Bandit 29 now.
    And both feel just fine. I need to hit up a dealer I guess.
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

I should add to my post above that when I got my large I was coming off a stretched out mid 90s XC bike (that was a medium) so I actually got my 60mm stem swapped for a 70mm and it still felt very short coming off the prior bike.

Then as I get older (I'm mid 40s) I'm preferring a more upright position and I found with bar ends (yes I ride with bar ends - don't laugh) that a 70mm is a bit of a stretch. So, I got a 50mm stem.

That was nice with bar ends but then I felt like my weight was a little far back on aggressive XC downhills and my front wheel would start to wash out more. I then dropped my bar ends and went back to 70mm stem. That was nice but I missed the bar ends for alternative hand positions. So I put them back on and I'm stretched out again.

Perhaps I should go 60mm for my stem? I can't help but wonder if a medium frame with a longer stem wound be better for me but I've never ridden one so really don't know. I just feel I could ride both.

Anyway, this weekend I'm going to be putting my 50mm stem back on - hopefully with a new front tire my front will stay planted.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I should add to my post above that when I got my large I was coming off a stretched out mid 90s XC bike (that was a medium) so I actually got my 60mm stem swapped for a 70mm and it still felt very short coming off the prior bike.

Then as I get older (I'm mid 40s) I'm preferring a more upright position and I found with bar ends (yes I ride with bar ends - don't laugh) that a 70mm is a bit of a stretch. So, I got a 50mm stem.

That was nice with bar ends but then I felt like my weight was a little far back on aggressive XC downhills and my front wheel would start to wash out more. I then dropped my bar ends and went back to 70mm stem. That was nice but I missed the bar ends for alternative hand positions. So I put them back on and I'm stretched out again.

Perhaps I should go 60mm for my stem? I can't help but wonder if a medium frame with a longer stem wound be better for me but I've never ridden one so really don't know. I just feel I could ride both.

Anyway, this weekend I'm going to be putting my 50mm stem back on - hopefully with a new front tire my front will stay planted.
    Do you have any spacers under your stem? Might be interesting to play with the height after you switch stems.

JTB
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    ... and I found with bar ends (yes I ride with bar ends - don't laugh)
    Bar ends all the way!

mtbr member
    Tallboy LT with bar ends? I need pictures!

Hopefully they are clamped to some riser bars

And I'm not kidding! Up until recently I rode bar ends on riser bars on my spider 29er and my Superlight. But with my new baby, she is so beautiful, I don't know if I can do that to her!

Originally they were on the risers that came with the SPX build (with a -6deg rise stem ).

Now they are on 10mm "flat" RaceFace Next Carbon bars with the stem flipped for +6 deg rise and look at lot better

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1398480480.036250.jpg

mtbr member
    Looks A-Ok! I recognize that rock!

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Looks A-Ok! I recognize that rock!
    We should ride sometime. I hope to get back down to Buffalo Creek in the next few weeks.

Here's one on the "risers".

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-img_0370.jpg

JTB
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Originally they were on the risers that came with the SPX build (with a -6deg rise stem ).

Now they are on 10mm "flat" RaceFace Next Carbon bars with the stem flipped for +6 deg rise and look at lot better

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398480480.036250.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	284.9 KB 
ID:	888511
    Looks cool! What bar ends are those?

mtbr member
    You guys been seeing those MY'13 on Chainlove for $1900? Nice deal, but only M &XLs.

╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Looks cool! What bar ends are those?
    They're the Ergon GS3 carbon grips/bar combo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Well I have either shrunk as I have gotten old or have always been told the wrong height lol. I thought I was always 5' 11 but after being measured tonight I am not quite 5'10 lol I measure 71 inches and about a 31 inseam.
    I am thinking medium?
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Well I have either shrunk as I have gotten old or have always been told the wrong height lol. I thought I was always 5' 11 but after being measured tonight I am not quite 5'10 lol I measure 71 inches and about a 31 inseam.
    I am thinking medium?
    71" is 5'11" !!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Wow I just need to go to bed and start over tomorrow lol...
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Wow I just need to go to bed and start over tomorrow lol...
    Yeah... don't drink and size yourself for a bike. I still think you should get a large, even if you were 5'10".