Page 59 of 150 FirstFirst ... 9 49 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 69 109 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 3731
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have spent time on the LTc and compared to my Tallboy C, I found it to be really fun and easy to ride and almost just as fast. It seemed even fast on the downhills but I was impressed that it climbed so well. I found that I got so used to it that when I got back on the TallboyC it seemed strange and a bit cramped.

I wonder how the comparisons will be now that the RIP 9 RDO is coming shortly. This is Niners attempt at going head to head with the LTc.

mtbr member
    Every SC VPP bike that we receive at my LBS comes with the grease gun.

Your dealer probably forgot to give you one.

Wouldn't hurt to ask.
    2014 Tallboy 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    A question for the people riding the 2013 spec derailleurs, especially those on 2X10.

I was talking with the LBS and they stated that they don't put the e13 chain guide on their SPX 2X10 builds as they believe that the XT derailleurs do a good enough job of controlling the chain (they would give me the chain guide separately with the bike so that I could sell it, they're not keeping it).

How have people found the new derailleurs' ability to control chain slap / drop? Is the chain guide really required?

For reference my local trails are hardpack (at the moment, they turn to mud in winter) with tree roots, rocks (mostly of fist size or smaller) and are generally bumpy. Other trails in the general area which I ride occasionally have bigger drops (nothing over a few feet) and more jumps.

Mulleticious
    Mine came with a grease gun

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by max_croft View Post
    ^^^

Couldn't agree more! I feel like a dirty cheat when I ride my LTc. I know I'm not a great rider, .... .
    How does one know if they are a good rider or not a good rider?
    I am a LTc owner, but I'm a pretty good road biker, I know that from speed, distance, cadence... But Im new to MTB, I read the forums and ended up with the LTc.
    I have limited experience, but I do find myself on "black run" trails, I dont find some sections easy, but I get thru them, even though they look "hairy".

Assuming its a good bike,
    • Am I a good rider on a good bike
    • Am I a shitty rider on a good bike?

How to tell?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kzrocky View Post
    Well, I'm the slowest in the group with my friends so that's the first sign. Other things I suppose would be technique. There a things that (regardless of speed) my friends fly over or flow through more gracefully. Where as I come behind them seemingly hitting and bouncing off every rock. I'm getting better and I the more I ride the more I'm learning better ways to ride certain parts of the trail which in turn makes it much more enjoyable.

I've also ridden these same trails on my older bike and quickly found my limit on certain terrain. Things I wouldn't dare hit on my 2004 Norco are a breeze on my LTc. In my case, I know it's the bike, but I understand where you're coming from if you're new to MTB, it's difficult to gauge. In the end, the only thing that really matters is that you're having fun!
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Almost done!!!!! Just need to trim the brake lines and that darn rear derailleur is giving me hell. And just making sure everything is all torqued. My first ever mtb build!

Yellow TB LTc with Fox RP23 with Kashima
    Haven bars, post and stem
    Deore brakes with 180 rotors front and back
    xt shifters, rd and cassette
    AKA cranks with bling ring
    Sunringle charger experts with ardents front and back
    Fox Factory Float 29 140mm with Kashima

Waiting for an MRP Lopes guide and she should be done!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ronyc View Post
    Almost done!!!!! Just need to trim the brake lines and that darn rear derailleur is giving me hell. And just making sure everything is all torqued. My first ever mtb build!
    What's going on w/ your rear mech...throw up some pics of your issues if you can? Is it DM or normal mount? I slapped a Park rear mech hanger alignment thingie on it first, and it did need a bit of tweaking... Are you using a torque wrench?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kzrocky View Post
    I am a LTc owner, but I'm a pretty good road biker, I know that from speed, distance, cadence... But Im new to MTB, I read the forums and ended up with the LTc.
    I have limited experience, but I do find myself on "black run" trails, I dont find some sections easy, but I get thru them, even though they look "hairy".

Assuming its a good bike,
    • Am I a good rider on a good bike
    • Am I a shitty rider on a good bike?

How to tell?
    Here's a good way to establish a baseline...get on a 26er and ride the same trail and see how many more times you need to get off and walk. I did that recently...have a Blur LTc and a TB LTc...and I notice a lot more effort to do the same lines on the Blur vs the TB. Just be careful about really stomping down on the pedals on a 26er w/o shifting weight since they have less traction.

Edit: oh BTW, I'm slower than snot on the ups too, but it's a fitness thing. I can generally clear most techy ups, and the TB's ride characteristics makes things a lot easier than the Blur by far!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by ronyc View Post
    almost done!!!!! Just need to trim the brake lines and that darn rear derailleur is giving me hell. And just making sure everything is all torqued. My first ever mtb build!

Yellow tb ltc with fox rp23 with kashima
    haven bars, post and stem
    deore brakes with 180 rotors front and back
    xt shifters, rd and cassette
    aka cranks with bling ring
    sunringle charger experts with ardents front and back
    fox factory float 29 140mm with kashima

waiting for an mrp lopes guide and she should be done!
    pics!!

mtbr member
    I am considering buying the TB LTc. Found a 2012 for a great price. I actually planned to pick it up after a final test run on a friends bike in the AM. What concerns me is my friend told me to go relatively slow when descending back to town on the fire roads. His primary concern is rocks/pebbles being thrown from the front tire at "damaging" the carbon frame. What I want to know is the concern about cosmetic damage or could this actually put the frame at risk.

I typically run down the fire roads at 40 plus on the way home. I also drop the bike from time to time on rocky technical descents... the last thing I want is to be paranoid while doing something that should be relaxing. I can live with cosmetic damage but not having to have repairs every couple of months.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LB412 View Post
    I am considering buying the TB LTc. Found a 2012 for a great price. I actually planned to pick it up after a final test run on a friends bike in the AM. What concerns me is my friend told me to go relatively slow when descending back to town on the fire roads. His primary concern is rocks/pebbles being thrown from the front tire at "damaging" the carbon frame. What I want to know is the concern about cosmetic damage or could this actually put the frame at risk.

I typically run down the fire roads at 40 plus on the way home. I also drop the bike from time to time on rocky technical descents... the last thing I want is to be paranoid while doing something that should be relaxing. I can live with cosmetic damage but not having to have repairs every couple of months.
    Cosmetic damage. If you want to see how tough SC carbon is watch the pinkbike video. It's been posted many times in the SC forum.

mtbr member

RAM vs. SPX

What are the MAJOR differences between the RAM and SPX kits?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    better components all around, that means lighter, stronger, faster everything, crisper shifting, better brakes, stiffer feel. If your really seriious about your riding get the spx you wont regret it. if you want nice components that will still be awesome and want to save money get the ram.

on my last bike i had the ram, it was good but I always wanted to upgrade stuff after a while, on my new bike i got spx and it is everything and more
    My Girl friend said, " it's not about how LONG your travel is... its's how well you use it!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sikkfreerider View Post
    better components all around, that means lighter, stronger, faster everything, crisper shifting, better brakes, stiffer feel. If your really seriious about your riding get the spx you wont regret it. if you want nice components that will still be awesome and want to save money get the ram.

on my last bike i had the ram, it was good but I always wanted to upgrade stuff after a while, on my new bike i got spx and it is everything and more
    Found a shop with 4 2012 TB LTc on sale 3 are mediums and one large. The mediums are SPX the large is RAM. I'd prefer the SPX but not sure about the fit on the medium. Riding one a few miles tomorrow. If I go with the large I can afford a few upgrades. I'm thinking forks and wheel set.

Mulleticious

You can get the Cytoe protector just in case. Fits like a glove and very protective. Search for it in this thread

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just built, cant wait to ride. Bought as a frameset so the build is a little bit of everything for now.

b a n n e d
    Ordinarily, I think that colored cable housings look rather disgusting . . . that ^^^^ however, works well.

Nice jerb.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Nice TB right there
    Niner Jet 9
    Santa Cruz Highball Carbon

mtbr member
    Rode the medium this morning and it felt cramped. That leaves the option of adjusting the saddle and possibly shortening the stem to make the size large fit. Unfortunately the only option they have on sale is the RAM kit.

The bike is 30% off MSRP(about 23% off normal shop price) so I can afford to make some upgrades. My initial thoughts are front fork, brakes, cranks, and possibly the wheelset. Pobably cant afford all so I would appreciate everyones opinion.

Dozer
    My initial thoughts are front fork, brakes, cranks, and possibly the wheelset. Pobably cant afford all so I would appreciate everyones opinion.
    Wheels/tires are always the best bang-for-buck upgrade. Grams saved/stiffness added here translates more drastically than, say, saving 30 grams off your crankset. Then I'd swap brakes next, only because I don't like Avid hydraulics very much.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Got to ride my LTc for the first time this morning, felt just as great as the day I demoed one in early summer! My Blur LT and Niner EMD will be up for sale real soon, this bike combines both of those for me and then some, lots of some! Came in at 27.5 pounds...large frame, Fox Float CTD front/back, Arch EX on 240's, combined with my 2x9 XO/Elixir CR drivetrain and brakes from my Blur LT. Also have my old Joplin 3 lever seat post on it and some orange Chris King bling here and there. Really happy with it! Pics to follow one of these days.

I might next summer convert to the 1x11 Sram XX1 after seeing how much people love/hate it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Got my stock 2012 Tallboy LTa R AM kit today. Looks awesome!
    I will switch some stuff from my niner RIP 9. Already switched my Thomson seatpost and WTB Rocket V SLT saddle. I will also swap the 3x10 XT crankset, XT shifters, Answer carbon bars and thomson stem from my niner.

How good are the WTB wheels? Should I switch them for my Charger PRO wheels or should I keep the WTB with XT hub (back only)?
    Same question about the brakes; stock elixir 5 vs Hayes Prime PRO?

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I am about to purchase the same bike... Heard nothing but negatives about the brakes

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I am about to purchase the same bike... Heard nothing but negatives about the brakes
    I like the Hayes, but I never had those elixir so I would like to have some opinions before switching.

Page 59 of 150 FirstFirst ... 9 49 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 69 109 ... LastLast