Page 58 of 147 FirstFirst ... 8 48 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 68 108 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 3658
    father, mountain biker
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryn View Post
    I ordered two Hans Dampf tires for front and rear today in the Trailstar snakeskin compound.
    If you find the rear a little soft on the climbs, swap it out for a Pacestar, which has a bit more firmness to the compound. So far liking that setup on my TBLTc in the wet rocks, roots, and dirt that fall brings to Northern California.
    "He seems quite arrogant and ignores quite some valid points." -Millfox
    "I don't like you" -ne_dan

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Now older but less slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Welcome to 'practical'! So what, did your bike go from 28lbs to 28.5lbs, or did yo pick up an extra 2lbs like me w/ the Conti TK 2.4s?
    We shall see. I'm guessing that its going to add 1/2 lb over the Ardents. 1lb over the Ikons.

It's probably going to put the bike north of 29lbs..., that's like a TON!

Now older but less slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by shredjunkie View Post
    If you find the rear a little soft on the climbs, swap it out for a Pacestar, which has a bit more firmness to the compound. So far liking that setup on my TBLTc in the wet rocks, roots, and dirt that fall brings to Northern California.
    So you prefer the PaceStar on the rear and the TrailStar on the front?

I went with the TrailStar as what I really need is grip. A little extra slowness on the climb isn't going to slow me down as anyone who has ridden with me will know that I'm usually the last up a climb I'm happy with the fact that I'm often one of the first down though!

I'll keep the PaceStar in mind for the future though. Hopefully these will last longer than the Conti Mountain King II I had on my last bike. They where grippy but I lost knobs every ride as they self destructed. With that performance it made me shy to try the Trail Kings on this bike - even though I know a lot of people like them here on the Front Range.

mtbr member
    A quick shock question, I'm really having trouble dialing in my RP23 at 200lbs. It just isn't feeling plush at all at any reasonable sag. I'm considering either pushing it or upgrading to the Cane Creek Double Barrel Air, I just called cane creek and they just came out with the 7.87x2.0 in the air. Any thoughts, other rear shocks options or thoughts would be appreciated, but I'm getting sorta pumped thinking about the Cane creek DB.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i honestly think the new ctd fox is marvellous. I think the ccdb air is way too much for that bike and it has not the uphill features as the ctd which are for me pretty important.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpca10 View Post
    A quick shock question, I'm really having trouble dialing in my RP23 at 200lbs. It just isn't feeling plush at all at any reasonable sag. I'm considering either pushing it or upgrading to the Cane Creek Double Barrel Air, I just called cane creek and they just came out with the 7.87x2.0 in the air. Any thoughts, other rear shocks options or thoughts would be appreciated, but I'm getting sorta pumped thinking about the Cane creek DB.
    Rockshox Monarch Plus RC3. Still has the 3 compression settings, and more air volume to get you to a different place on the air spring curve. Also, you can tune it. I've got one that's pretty dialed for the TBLTc, then traded a Reverb for another for my Blur LTc. The Blur's RC3 is tuned all wrong, but I've found enough data to reshim the compression and rebound stacks.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ricki1nz View Post
    Updated LTc now, Enve AM rims with CK hubs. Rolls sweet.!!
    Very nice and very similar to my build....I have the same wheelset but with black King hubs and Nobby Nics are both ends. I went full XT (24-38) with XTR derailleurs. Easton carbon seatpost, bars and the new Haven stem. Will post pics when it's complete, packages start arriving tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Tallboy LTc - RS Monarch RT3 shock tune?

Did anybody here try Tallboy LTc with RS Monarch RT3 rear shock? What factory tune has to be used for LTc? For regular Tallboy c Santa Cruz use H - rebound, M - compresion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vencacampa View Post
    Did anybody here try Tallboy LTc with RS Monarch RT3 rear shock? What factory tune has to be used for LTc? For regular Tallboy c Santa Cruz use H - rebound, M - compresion.
    Monarch Plus RC3 HV on mine w/ needle bearings on the link side. It has a M/L (reb/comp) stock tune, and seems to work very well. The only adjustment I'd tweak is air volume...I'd go for the LV air can version. But, you can get tuning rubber bands to do the volume tune more precisely if you happen to get a HV air can.

Edit: I'm 190-195lbs kitted up. If you're lighter, a lighter comp tune w/ a HV air can might work better for you
    Last edited by Pau11y; 11-23-2012 at 12:23 PM.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    quick question. to convert the i23 frequency rims on my tallboy lt
    to tubeless do i need rim tape? i don't thinks so using stans sealant but i thought i ask.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by conformers View Post
    to tubeless do i need rim tape? i don't thinks so using stans sealant but i thought i ask.
    Yes you will need to use rim tape of some sort to seal the spoke holes, if it isn't there already.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    They are already taped. You just need to insert the valve stems which should have come with the bike and add some sealant.

mtbr member
    Anyone running a 2.4? I am liking the ardents but find that my rims are taking a beating with the smaller tire. I ride in a lot of rocks and the rear is showing the battle scars. Thinking of moving up to a 2.4 Hans dampf.

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by Cult Hero View Post
    Anyone running a 2.4? I am liking the ardents but find that my rims are taking a beating with the smaller tire. I ride in a lot of rocks and the rear is showing the battle scars. Thinking of moving up to a 2.4 Hans dampf.
    I'm on 2.35" Nobby Nics. No problem with the fit. Awesome so far

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by grimx View Post
    They are already taped. You just need to insert the valve stems which should have come with the bike and add some sealant.

Thanks 2nd unrelated question is.... What dropper post are you guys using on your LT's and which one works the best?

mtbr member
    I had the Hans on the front for a couple rides but its a little to big (2.4) for Bay area stuff I ride and it didn't roll all that well. That being said Its going to be perfect for places like Downieville also it weighed in at 900grams compared to the 720 grams of the NN 2.3 I'm running now

mtbr member
    Thanks 2nd unrelated question is.... What dropper post are you guys using on your LT's and which one works the best?
    I have a KS lev and it has been great. No issues at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

father, mountain biker
    KS Lev: Dropper mechanism has been rock solid. The head clamp has a bit of play, but not enough to notice while riding. Head clamp also develops a bad creaking sound after a couple of rides, although a bit of teflon grease between the two plates solves the problem.

Hans Damfs: I put a Trailstar front and Pacestar rear on my TBLTc. They definitely have bumped up the shredability factor in the softer winter soil here in Marin, and are also a confidence inspiring tire in the rocks. Have not noticed that they are any slower on the uphill and have only decreased my downhill times.

Mulleticious
    Rockshox Reverb - excellent operation and very durable. Easy to bleed if necessary

mtbr member
    Ive been using my reverb for about 5-6 months 2-3 rides a week no problems at all! love that thing! took my riding to a whole nuther level! All my riding buddies are jealous
    My Girl friend said, " it's not about how LONG your travel is... its's how well you use it!"

father, mountain biker
    Quote Originally Posted by grimx View Post
    Hmm, mine didn't come with valve stems (also no grease gun). Starting to think my LBS is holding out on me. What did others here receive with their full bike build?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    When I bought my Tallboy from my LBS, I did not get a grease gun. But when I purchase an LTc frame only, it came with a grease gun.

Mick
    Jun 2011

Amazing TallBoy

Just got back from Rotorua New Zealand ( 11 days ) , this is my second trip to this mountain bike heaven. This time I had my TBLTC and the difference was just amazing, last year I had a Specialized Epic Carbon 29er which was an awesome bike but the difference between that and the TallBoy was astounding , I don't think my riding ability had improved that much in 12 months , it was the bike.
    This thing climbs and descends better than anything I have ever ridden , I'm no expert by any means
    but anything that can improve my riding ability that much must be something very special .........
    This just a comment , but if you are having trouble making up your mind on what bike to purchase , then I can't recommend the Santa Cruz TallBoy LTC enough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    ^^^

Couldn't agree more! I feel like a dirty cheat when I ride my LTc. I know I'm not a great rider, but this bike lets me do things I never could before and rather than hanging on for dear life, I flow with it and it just loves whatever comes its way. All the while making me look as though I know what I'm doing.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc

Page 58 of 147 FirstFirst ... 8 48 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 68 108 ... LastLast