Page 56 of 101 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,800 of 5001
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Just bought 2014 SC TB LTc. Thought I was going to buy a 650b until I demoed this guy. Been on one 25 mile ride and love it so far. Certainly need to adjust sag, fit, etc., but I'm sure this bike is going to be rad for years to come. With the investment made here, I certainly appreciate all the insight this and other threads have provided. My playground is Western North Carolina and usually in Pisgah NF. More input to come, but just wanted to drop a note of thanks to the usual thread contributors here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    ------

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by partusa View Post
    I have been trying to sell my tallboy LT for a long time but no luck. I'm asking $2770 for an full XT, kashima and RS revelation with 300 miles, is that a crazy price? Ebay, craigslist, mtbr and pinkbike and I only get ridiculous offers.
    Any advise?
    I appreciate your feedback.
    Thanks
    Dude you are ripping pleople off!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by brainzito View Post
    Dude you are ripping pleople off!
    Go ride your crappy Niner RIPoff9 with green grips, green saddle, green pedals, green tires, green cables and green training wheels! HAHAHAH

Village Dirtbag
    I'm shock-shopping for my new Tallboy LT and was wondering what you guys recommend. I see lots of ringing endorsements for the CCDB air, but damn is it a lot of weight and money! I'm also set-and-forget with my rear...I haven't traditionally done on-trail adjustments (except for lowering fork travel on long climbs).

I had a Blur classic. 115mm w/2" stroke 5th element. Pedals great and very supple
    Next was a Tallboy. 100mm w/1.5" stroke RP23. Felt a lot rougher than the Blur...more than the 15mm travel difference would suggest. I think it's the over-leveraged shock. Pedaled great though and lived it's whole life with the propedal wide open.

So, weight and cost are important, but the main reason I'm upgrading to the LT is for ride. Will the extra travel alone whet my appetite, or do I not know what I'm missing from a heavy duty shock.

BTW- I'm 175-180 pounds and live in New Mexico. Lot's of rocky climbs and descents. I do after work 1-2 hour rides a couple days per week and on weekends in the summer will ride 20-50 miles, so weight is important there, but so is comfort.

Edit: I found a new private-seller Pike 29 for a good price in the classifieds, but it's 46 mm offset vs 51. How will that affect handling? Are the classifieds safe?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by @dam View Post
    I'm shock-shopping for my new Tallboy LT and was wondering what you guys recommend. I see lots of ringing endorsements for the CCDB air, but damn is it a lot of weight and money! I'm also set-and-forget with my rear...I haven't traditionally done on-trail adjustments (except for lowering fork travel on long climbs).

I had a Blur classic. 115mm w/2" stroke 5th element. Pedals great and very supple
    Next was a Tallboy. 100mm 2/1.5" stroke RP23. Felt a lot rougher than the Blur. I think it's the over-leveraged shock. Pedaled great though and lived it's whole life with the propedal wide open.

So, weight and cost are important, but the main reason I'm upgrading to the LT is for ride. Will the extra travel alone whet my appetite, or do I not know what I'm missing from a heavy duty shock.

BTW- I'm 175-180 pounds and live in New Mexico. Lot's of rocky climbs and descents. I do after work 1-2 hour rides a couple days per week and on weekends in the summer will ride 20-50 miles, so weight is important there, but so is comfort.

Edit: I found a new private-seller Pike 29 for a good price in the classifieds, but it's 46 mm offset vs 51. How will that affect handling? Are the classifieds safe?
    you can get it for $540 from bikebling.com just ask them to price match bikesonline.com and if both stores have you size they will match. you're welcome everyone.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Next was a Tallboy. 100mm 2/1.5" stroke RP23. Felt a lot rougher than the Blur. I think it's the over-leveraged shock. Pedaled great though and lived it's whole life with the propedal wide open.

Get the CCDBA-CS and thank us later. It would be worth it if it weighed twice as much.

Village Dirtbag
    Really!? It's like half a pound heavier than a Float! I'm curious now, but that's a lot of weight. Is it necessary to fuss with the switch often to get decent efficiency out of it, or does the VPP pedal well enough already that you can generally just leave it open?

Is there anything that fills the middle ground, like some of the piggyback Rock Shox or Fox shocks? How do they stack up to the CCDB or a more XC oriented Monarch or Float?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Really!? It's like half a pound heavier than a Float! I'm curious now, but that's a lot of weight. Is there anything that fills the middle ground, like some of the piggyback Rock Shox or Fox shocks?
    Half a pound sitting in the middle of the frame isn't going to amount to much. The Monarch Plus is supposed to be good. You could also send your Float to Avalanche. Given your priorities, that may be the best thing to try.

Float CTD and RP23 SSD Modifications

Village Dirtbag
    I would, but my RP23 is off my old Tallboy. It's too small for the Tallboy LT, so I have to buy a new one anyway.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I would, but my RP23 is off my old Tallboy. It's too small for the Tallboy LT, so I have to buy a new one anyway.
    I could put a Push tuned Float CTD Kashima on you for a good price.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Really!? It's like half a pound heavier than a Float! I'm curious now, but that's a lot of weight. Is it necessary to fuss with the switch often to get decent efficiency out of it, or does the VPP pedal well enough already that you can generally just leave it open?

Is there anything that fills the middle ground, like some of the piggyback Rock Shox or Fox shocks? How do they stack up to the CCDB or a more XC oriented Monarch or Float?
    Why would you bother? At the point you add a different less adjustable piggy back, it's only a 1/3 more to go with a CCBDAcs
    Tantrum incoming
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread

Next was a Tallboy. 100mm w/1.5" stroke RP23. Felt a lot rougher than the Blur...more than the 15mm travel difference would suggest. I think it's the over-leveraged shock. Pedaled great though and lived it's whole life with the propedal wide open.

I'd be curious to hear where you end up. I'm in a similar situation. I've been on a TBc for about 1.5 yrs now, but want something more plush because my riding has progressed from XC to more technical oriented riding. The TBc is decent, but after demoing a few 6" travel 650Bs lately, I've been bitten by the upgrade bug. I'm going to demo a TB LTc in a couple of weeks and really hope it satisfies.

mtbr member
    You know how having sex with your wife is ok maybe good. Then you you have sex with your girlfriend and hell ya fun......You will be satisfied...Take your credit card,you will buy one.......just saying.....
    Just ride and quit bit$hin....Yeti 4.5...SIR9 SS...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal-Rider View Post
    I'd be curious to hear where you end up. I'm in a similar situation. I've been on a TBc for about 1.5 yrs now, but want something more plush because my riding has progressed from XC to more technical oriented riding. The TBc is decent, but after demoing a few 6" travel 650Bs lately, I've been bitten by the upgrade bug. I'm going to demo a TB LTc in a couple of weeks and really hope it satisfies.
    Bike Magazine's 2013 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc Review - YouTube
    Tantrum incoming
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Fun to watch these older vids and see those 2013 Fox forks blasting through their travel on small stuff. #neveragain

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Anybody know if the mounting hardware for the CC DB Air is 22x8 or 22.2x8?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-img_1432.jpg

I've got my TBLTc tuned up and ready to ride! Still tweaking these new shocks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

2014 Black and yellow/green new build

Only done a couple of rides, but loving it so far. Still fettling with the suspension and the handlebar height. Waiting for CCDB air CS. Came from Tallboy c.
    Playground is CapeTown and surrounds, pretty much hardpack sand and roots interspersed with some nice rocky bits. Sand can get soft and deepish late season with the trail traffic. Then lots of rain in winter!. Any advice on tires appreciated. My wheels are the XC Enves and I am currently using Racing Ralphs both ends.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-image.jpgTallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-image.jpgTallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-image.jpgOnly done a couple of rides, but loving it so far. Still fettling with the suspension and the handlebar height. Waiting for CCDB air CS. Came from Tallboy c.
    Playground is CapeTown and surrounds, pretty much hardpack sand and roots interspersed with some nice rocky bits. Sand can get soft and deepish late season with the trail traffic. Then lots of rain in winter!. Any advice on tires appreciated. My wheels are the XC Enves and I am currently using Racing Ralphs both ends.

b a n n e d
    No idea on winter/wet tires (I live in Las Vegas - rain is an unknown entity in this area), but for the dry, I run a Hans Dampf front with a Conti Trail King rear and its a superb setup. VERY durable against our lava rock with abundant traction, both driving and braking. Durability has been excellent so far. I'd love to ride in Capetown. I have family in Jo'berg.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    TB LTc 203 x 57 Monarch Plus, 160 Pike.
    Bottom Bracket is a touch shy of 13 7/8", and HTA is solidly at 67*.

Oh, and those of you who've been following that Monarch Plus shim stacking thread on the suspension forum, I changed the couple of things on that RC3+...
    1) I bumped the resi IFP from 35mm to 33mm. Using full travel too frequently, so I wanted to ramp thing up a bit.
    2) I changed the rebound from M to L, and the compression from L to M. Because I was pretty much wide open w/ the M rebound tune, I slipped a 10 x 0.10mm shim between the concave piston face on the rebound side and the base shim. A concave piston face is basically just rim-loading the base shim, increasing the LSR. How I'm juuuuuust a touch too slow at fully closed.
    And, I slipped in another 22 x 0.15 shim behind the same spec base shim on the compression side...because I was blowing thru the travel too quickly in the LSC department. So hopefully the combo of IFP and this will give me a more useful full range.

Woo hoo, looking fwd to when the snow melts!
    Just got back for this bike's first ride w/ this setup. The reduced IFP in the M+ works AMAZINGLY well! And, can't even feel the increased compression, but my shock reported only using ~65% travel, as did the Pike. The trail wasn't super-gnar...golf ball to softball sized river rocks were everywhere, but nothing super tech...so the speeds were pretty high.
    Along w/ the increased LSC, the reduction in LSR was also fantastic! In down mode, the ass-end tracked the trail and smoothed out the chatter so well it felt like I was cheating!
    I found a good psi to get pretty much 27% sag on both front and back. The bike just sat higher (the BB was pushing 13 3/4" w/ the longer shock and Pike) than it did w/ the mistaken air can that ended up giving me a 7.6" i2i M+. As result, it did feel a bit more tippy. This didn't bother me tho. But another very noticeable thing was a good bit less pedal strike...as in I can stomp w/ abandon now and not have to worry about studder-stepping as much.
    All in all, VERY worthy experiment...a keeper setup.
    Will report back on the X-Fusion once I receive the thrust bearing and after the VPP custom tune.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    No idea on winter/wet tires (I live in Las Vegas - rain is an unknown entity in this area), but for the dry, I run a Hans Dampf front with a Conti Trail King rear and its a superb setup. VERY durable against our lava rock with abundant traction, both driving and braking. Durability has been excellent so far. I'd love to ride in Capetown. I have family in Jo'berg.
    Did you move? I thought you were in LA. I'm running Minion DHF/DHRII combo, and it's the best tire combination I've ever run. Take a look at it next time you feel like switching things up. Amazing performance on decomposed granite, loose over hard type stuff, and crazy durable. Much more so than any of the Schwalbe tires I've used, which have been a few, because I like their performance a lot (when the tread is in good shape).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FinbarSaunders View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	196.6 KB 
ID:	877319Click image for larger version. 

Views:	185 
Size:	216.1 KB 
ID:	877320Click image for larger version. 

Views:	217 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	877321Only done a couple of rides, but loving it so far. Still fettling with the suspension and the handlebar height. Waiting for CCDB air CS. Came from Tallboy c.
    Very cool wheels. on fitment i did a specialized BG fitment.. best money spend on a bike..even if it is specialized.
    tyres i use conti mountain king protection in front and Xking at the back...what a great combo, but ive found most importantly the pressure for the rolling resistance. i weight 88kg i use 23psi front and 26psi back. on easton EA90s. very cool. not many fellow south africans on this page....what crank and casette combo are you runing ie teeth.
    Supporting the Burry Gap.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    A few recent upgrades have me unbelievably pleased with the bike's performance. Still working on setting the shock, but even now its a marked improvement in most every way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Anyone have issues with their rear tire rubbing on the round insert on the back of the seat tube where the front derailleur cable/ferrule goes into? I have Tallboy LTa medium and run a 2.2 Geax saguaro in the rear, and when I use all of the travel it rubs bad. I removed all of the air from the rear shock and compressed the suspension and sure enough the tire makes contact.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jpo1 View Post
    Anyone have issues with their rear tire rubbing on the round insert on the back of the seat tube where the front derailleur cable/ferrule goes into? I have Tallboy LTa medium and run a 2.2 Geax saguaro in the rear, and when I use all of the travel it rubs bad. I removed all of the air from the rear shock and compressed the suspension and sure enough the tire makes contact.
    Sounds like something is wrong. That's not a very big tire, and my LTc clears everything I've tried on it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Sounds like something is wrong. That's not a very big tire, and my LTc clears everything I've tried on it.
    Thats what I'm thinking. For example a Ardent is a bigger volume than my tire. My front tire is basically a Maxxis Ignitor (2.25) and my Saguaro (2.2) is taller and wider. I emailed Santa Cruz to see what their thoughts were. I was hoping someone on here has dealt with this before.

mtbr member
    It's built to handle up to 2.4. Sounds like a frame problem.

mtbr member

Re: Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread

Pics!

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Are you 100% sure that you have a 200x51 shock?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Are you 100% sure that you have a 200x51 shock?
    I'm not, how can I find out?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm going to the bike shop now, I'll let everyone know what I find out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    200mm is the eye to eye measurement. 51 is the stroke. If you had a 57 stroke by accident, it would cause the tire to hit the seat tube.

Best way to measure the stroke is to take the air out and measure it fully extended and fully compressed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    200mm is the eye to eye measurement. 51 is the stroke. If you had a 57 stroke by accident, it would cause the tire to hit the seat tube.

Best way to measure the stroke is to take the air out and measure it fully extended and fully compressed.
    So the bike shop measured the shock and its the correct one for the bike. They were baffled, the only explanation they could come up with is a defect with the frame, awesome.

mtbr member
    So the bike shop measured the shock and its the correct one for the bike. They were baffled, the only explanation they could come up with is a defect with the frame, awesome.
    HAH! I wonder if someone bolted a Solo bottom link on your frame?
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    HAH! I wonder if someone bolted a Solo bottom link on your frame?
    That is the only thing that makes sense to me today. FYI, I bought the frame about 9 months ago and slowly built up the bike as money became available and then took it for the first ride yesterday and now this. Just my luck : )

Keep on Rockin...
    Rear drop-out question...

The non-drive side rear drop is a hub to carbon interface, correct?

I mean, my frame has no metal insert, or spacer, in that area to buffer the carbon drop from the hub end.

The drive side has a metal insert connected to the RD hanger.

While the rear wheel fits perfectly as is, and no signs of adverse wear, it does seem like there should be something in there to protect the carbon from the hub end. I want to be sure I didn't loose a frame part.

JTB
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quick question: I'm about to order a new LTc. I'd like to upgrade to a Pike (through my dealer) or Enve wheels. Which of these is going to have a bigger impact on riding? Obviously upgrade to the Pike should be much cheaper (if the dealer takes the Fox off of me) so I'm leaning that way...

Any imput appreciated.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by JTB View Post
    Quick question: I'm about to order a new LTc. I'd like to upgrade to a Pike (through my dealer) or Enve wheels. Which of these is going to have a bigger impact on riding? Obviously upgrade to the Pike should be much cheaper (if the dealer takes the Fox off of me) so I'm leaning that way...

Any imput appreciated.
    Do the Pike, and get the cheap carbon hoops and build up w/ a set of Hadley hubs...and save yourself ~$1200, which you can use to upgrade the rear shock and still have a ton left for beers!

Sent from my MyTouch 4G Slide using Tapatalk
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Rear drop-out question...

The non-drive side rear drop is a hub to carbon interface, correct?

I mean, my frame has no metal insert, or spacer, in that area to buffer the carbon drop from the hub end.

The drive side has a metal insert connected to the RD hanger.

While the rear wheel fits perfectly as is, and no signs of adverse wear, it does seem like there should be something in there to protect the carbon from the hub end. I want to be sure I didn't loose a frame part.
    I can double check when I get home, but I'm pretty sure my bike is the same. Haven't had any issues with wear.

mtbr member

Do the Pike, and get the cheap carbon hoops and build up w/ a set of Hadley hubs...and save yourself ~$1200, which you can use to upgrade the rear shock and still have a ton left for beers!

Sent from my MyTouch 4G Slide using Tapatalk
    Yes, I agree. Good advise.
    Get something like Derby or LB rims with Hadley hubs and you should ne able to go with the Pike as well.

JTB
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Get something like Derby or LB rims with Hadley hubs and you should ne able to go with the Pike as well.
    Thanks guys, appreciate it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Just wanted to echo this as well. LB wheelset with good hubs = $1100, Pike = $800, CCDBA-CS = $550 and you've still got money to spare. You also have an INCREDIBLE bike. Trust me, I own one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just wanted to echo this as well. LB wheelset with good hubs = $1100, Pike = $800, CCDBA-CS = $550 and you've still got money to spare. You also have an INCREDIBLE bike. Trust me, I own one.
    Another vote for this. I did just that. Got the pike, CC DB Air CS, Derby Rims w/ I9 hubs. The pike, CC Db air CS, carbon hoop combo on the TB LT is a great choice.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by JTB View Post

Any imput appreciated.
    Tuff call.

I really really like my pike, But also like my carbon wheels.

My carbon wheels make my bike feel stiffer & faster.

My pike saves my ass many times a month.

I would go Pike & LB carbon rims for the same price Enve.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

JTB
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I just placed an order for a Tallboy LTc... To say I'm excited would be a gross understatement! My first new MTB in 8 years or so...

Should have it before the end of April - it is going to be a long wait...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    New video up of some local trails, and more importantly, shots of my TBLTc with a pike and CCDBA-cs. This combo of shocks eats up the small stuff, big stuff and everything in-between

The Wedge, The Greatest Unknown Ride in Utah/ The World - YouTube

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc

This is my buddy Cory's Tallboy LTc but I wish it was mine

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-img_6969.jpg

Full spec and write-up here