Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2424849505152
Results 5,101 to 5,121 of 5121
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    How does it feel in tight switchbacks? I have the same fork so our geometry would be the same. I ride mostly slower technical stuff so a steeper HT may be better.

I do feel "on" the bike vs the "in" feeling with the Intense Primer and Hightower that I also like.

In tight downhill switchbacks I get that feeling like the wheel wants to flop and I'm gong to go over the bars on the DH side. Of course thats probably something no bike will completely eliminate, but I'm curious what effect a 1 degree Works would have on slow speed handling.
    Slow speed handling is affected some. Mostly when climbing at slower speeds. During faster sections I just make sure I add a bit more weight to the front wheel when turning. I have considered reinstalling the oem cane creek headset to improve the slow speed handling, then I take it down a steep, rocky fast section of trail and say ďnope , so worth itĒ. That reminds me why I put the neg 1 degree headset in to begin with. I feel it is an improvement to the Tallboy LT unless you do only cross country type riding

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Bladder at 200PSI, 3 spacers in Postive, and maybe 2 in negative. That should help get sag close to 30% and get rid of the midstroke wallow that can be an issue with this bike.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Right now Iím at 300psi main / 200 bladder. 3 spacers Neg and 1 Positive. Itís much better. Going to try your suggestion as well.

mtbr member since 1996
    Quote Originally Posted by M320 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. Right now Iím at 300psi main / 200 bladder. 3 spacers Neg and 1 Positive. Itís much better. Going to try your suggestion as well.
    DVO Topaz

Great thread on the Topaz. There is also one for the diamond, but it is usually easier to dial in.
    My Wife's Channel for Women - LadyMTB

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Reywcms View Post
    Fantastic write up! Keep them coming. I need try the new high tower out
    So today I did some more demos under the belt. Rode the Intense Carbine 155 rear travel, Yeti 5.5, SC Nomad 2018, and of course the Hightower Long Travel. All these other bikes were equipped with aluminum wheels with the exception of the Hightower LT, which ran the carbon reserves.

Worst bike: Intense Carbine 29er. They are calling it JS suspension but the guy was honest that it really is VPP. It is just that the link is split down the middle. Anyway, the frame seems to be much heavier as the bike was specced so much similar to the other bike in components. Yet, it was very heavy. However, the weight was not noticeable when riding but it was when climbing. The suspension had very apparent pedal bob and it was very annoying. The bike did not really feel that agile and I was blowing through the travel so easily. I think it could have been the shock, Rochshox RT3 Delux. I had my sag set and compression and rebound was just as I like it. This bike killed me when I was climbing.

The top bike was the Hightower LT. Had the carbon Reserve wheels, DT350 hubs, and top of the line Fox shocks that had the black coating, no Kashima. By feeling, I would say this bike felt about 27-28 pound range. My tallboy LTc is at 26.5 lbs and the little weight gain was not that noticeable. This bike climbed really really good. I was really not expecting this. It climbs just as good as the regular Hightower, I saw no difference, I really didn't. People who have been complaining about the 73.7 degree STA obviously have ridden it. I left the Fox DPX2 in open setting and need to do nothing to it. Downhills, man this thing rips and it eats large boulders for snacks, purposely rode over. This bike loves to jump and fly in the air, which is a welcome thing to me. The carbon wheels were very nice, they were not as stiff as the Enve wheels ride, which feel like they kick back and bounce you around. I like a set of wheels that if I ever damage them I can get a new one, no questions asked.

The Yeti 5.5 was nice. I would say the switch infinity had an edge to it in climbing over the Hightower LT. I did not say it is night and day or so much better, I said it seems to have a bit of an edge in climbing. However, downhill there was no comparison. The Hightower was so composed and really erased mistakes you make on the trail which inspires confidence. That thing on the bottom bracket, switch infinity, was mud magnet and the demo guys says it need TLC every 4-8 weeks depending on how much riding done. The Yeti is a really fast bike and it seems very agile and capable. I liked it better than the Pivot bikes and much better than the Ripley LS.

The Nomad 2018, with this new placement of the shock and linkage, I was super impressed how much better this climbed for the amount of travel. Now saying that, I would say it climbed a tad better than the Intense Carbine, believe it or not. This bike is very agile and very capable for downhill action. However, I will be honest I am not 27.5 wheel fan but had to try this bike.

I went back to the Hightower LT and really this bike to me was much better than the regular Hightower. I really don't see the point of the regular Hightower any longer. Because really, I don't see any drawback and you get more travel. I did not like this grey color, to me it did not look very appealing. The yellow/green looked much better.

Compared to the Tallboy LTc, I think the Hightower LT is right now the only bike I have ridden that I would sell it for. I just can't get myself to like those colors. The yellow/green is growing on me but I don't know. I'll be honest, the Tallboy LTc is a bit more agile in carving turns than the Hightower LT but speed wise it is a wash. When jumping and landing, not even close, the Hightower LT feels so soft in landings.

The Yeti 5.5 climbs better than the Tallboy LTc but it is not by much. Descending and agility, I would say the Tallboy LTc is more agile but descending I think the Yeti 5.5 is better and that is probably due to a longer wheelbase. I would not trade my LTc for a Yeti 5.5. I felt like LTc is more agile than the Nomad, but not as capable and stable as the Nomad, that was noticeable. However, I would take the LTc in long climbs over the Nomad any day.

Keep in mind the LTc has a Works 1.5 angleset and has a Pike 150 up front. I am also running a Schwalbe hans damp 2.35 in the rear and switching between a Magic Mary 2.35 and a DHF 2.5. So I am running some nice wide tires on the LTc. Again, I have to say the LTc must have been ahead of its time because when you ride other new bikes, they are not that comparable. I have not rode and Evil following or an Evil Wreckoning. Yes they should have made the LTc with at least a 67-68 HTA and a 74 STA, but it is what it is. And for what it is, it is still good and relevant compared to these new geometry bikes.

Sorry so long, hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the download. I'd highly recommend riding an Evil before you throw down any cash. I was fortunate to get into a TB3 from a TBLT via crash replacement but had I been in a situation to buy a frame outright I probably would have ended up with a Following MB. I really liked how they rode.

mtbr member

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread

I demoed a Mojo3 yesterday. I did a pretty good ride on familiar trails. Iíve got to say my 2012 TB LTc is a keeper. Definitely preferred it over the Ibis. Towards the end of my ride on the ibis I began to see a couple attributes, but overall not impressed.

It didnít help that the bike, right out of the Ibis demo van, wasnít very well maintained...
    Last edited by reamer41; 10-15-2017 at 11:41 PM.
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by whoodie View Post
    Thanks for the download. I'd highly recommend riding an Evil before you throw down any cash. I was fortunate to get into a TB3 from a TBLT via crash replacement but had I been in a situation to buy a frame outright I probably would have ended up with a Following MB. I really liked how they rode.
    Interested to hear if the TB3 was your choice or SC's. I would think the TBLT is more "equivalent" to the HT in the current lineup, and if I had a frame failure I'd probably push for a HTLT assuming one is available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterBaker View Post
    Interested to hear if the TB3 was your choice or SC's. I would think the TBLT is more "equivalent" to the HT in the current lineup, and if I had a frame failure I'd probably push for a HTLT assuming one is available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TB3 was my choice, I wanted to try a little less travel this time. The wallowy rear suspension was one of my only complaints about the TBLT.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I am about to upgrade to carbon wheels; should i get 29er or go 650+? Will prob just buy hoops from light bicycle. im running 29er flows right now

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooled View Post
    I am about to upgrade to carbon wheels; should i get 29er or go 650+? Will prob just buy hoops from light bicycle. im running 29er flows right now
    I just upgraded my rims on my TB LTc. I went with a wider 29Ē rim. I hope to run 29x2.60 tires or so. Near Plus width, on a 29 platform.

(I love my 29x3.00 hardtail)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Pics dude

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post
    I just upgraded my rims on my TB LTc. I went with a wider 29Ē rim. I hope to run 29x2.60 tires or so. Near Plus width, on a 29 platform.

(I love my 29x3.00 hardtail)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good luck, 2.35 Nobby Nics on a 23mm ID rim were pretty tight. One muddy ride and I had scratches on the rear swing arm. Mud was stupid sticky that day though, couldn't clear from the tire tread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whoodie View Post
    Good luck, 2.35 Nobby Nics on a 23mm ID rim were pretty tight. One muddy ride and I had scratches on the rear swing arm. Mud was stupid sticky that day though, couldn't clear from the tire tread.
    Yeah, I know itíll be tight. Have to see what the tires actually measure. Iíve got Ardent 2.4s on 29mm internal rims on there now. Plenty of room. Iím hopi g to see what the Maxxis Recon 2.60s look like when I can get them.
    NNs are pretty high volume. What do they measure in width?
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post
    Yeah, I know itíll be tight. Have to see what the tires actually measure. Iíve got Ardent 2.4s on 29mm internal rims on there now. Plenty of room. Iím hopi g to see what the Maxxis Recon 2.60s look like when I can get them.
    NNs are pretty high volume. What do they measure in width?
    True true on width. I don't recall what they measured, I do remember that they were really big. On par in volume with a 2.35 Ikon, which is a tiny bit bigger than a 2.4 Ardent.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Im about to change my xtr 2x to a sram 1x
    whats the Q factor on a xl tbltc so I know what crank to order?
    Also gonna upgrade my flows to some chinese carbon hoops im thinking 30mm w the 12k gloss top, input is appreciated
    GOD I LOVE THIS BIKE

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    also would like to hear thoughts on getting 650 hoops instead of 29er

mtbr member since 1996
    I demo'd a Hightower LT yesterday. Rode up a very technical climb, then down a fast singletrack section with a really chunky section with some turns. Not a very long demo, but rode some terrain that helps discern between a good/bad on climbs and DH.

Thoughts...the Hightower LT was better on the downhills. They felt about the same on the climb. Enough to make a huge difference? Not really. I actually left feeling better about my Tallboy LTc. I do have a 150mm DVO diamond on it (no angle set) and Topaz so that sure helps.

I wish I could have done some uphill and downhill switchbacks. The Tallboy LTc may have the edge there.

My conclusion is: The Tallboy LTc with longer travel fork holds up very well. If you ride a lot of bike part, jump, or really fast trails the Hightower LT is the better bike. The slower, more you keep your wheels on the ground, and more twisty your trails, the Tallboy LT is probably better.
    My Wife's Channel for Women - LadyMTB

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That is crazy that this thread has had over 1 million views. Tallboy LTc must be a popular bike and it off the making for a couple of years already.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    its the best one bike u can own imo

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've had my TB LTc for 5 years now this October.
    I've done everything from Multi Day stage races to Enduro's with it.
    I have an out and out 650B trail bike and a 29ťr Hardtail in the stable too, that I use for everything else, but the TB never ceases to amaze me with how capable it is.
    I've thought about the upgrade .. but being on the tip of the African continent, the price of a Hightower frame is eye wateringly stupid.
    Then I think, seriously how much better can it be that the TB ... So for now I'll cherish my TB, in the knowledge that it will take a special kind of bike to knock this legend off it's pedestal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I still love my TB LTc. I've added a fatbike and a Bronson CC X01 v2 since getting it but the TB LTc is my favorite do everything bike. I've yet to find a 29er FS that I like even remotely close to it to think about replacing it with. The HT definitely does something better, but as an everyday bike for me I prefer my TBLTc. Still haven't demoed a HT LT, but based on the HT demos I've done I believe it would be even more better at somethings while not meeting my every need.

Besides, I have my Bronson V2 if I really want to get rowdy. I'm not enduro racing or bike parking to want something bigger, and I don't race to want something more efficient. I love my TB LTc because it can go anywhere, its nimble in the slow speed stuff, and it suits my style.

Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2424849505152

Members who have read this thread: 140