Page 51 of 148 FirstFirst ... 41 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 61 101 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 3677
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryn View Post
    I did not but I'm in the US. I have two shock pumps already so I wasn't bothered by it, but I would contend that a bike this expensive with two air shocks really ought to come with one.
    No pump for me either, and I bought the frame only.

K, use the "Quote" button. It's sometimes hard to follow who you're addressing.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kzrocky View Post
    Heh Big AC,

I used My Mountain in Brunswick. Happy enough with store, but distributor sucks.
    The distributor in QLD has no idea. Let me know if you want more info.

Seems like there might be minimum 3 in Melb.
    Im off to Lysterfield tommorow. I only got the TBLTc 3 days ago.
    If I do a face plant, I'll post the pics!
    Thanks kzrocky. I was considering either them or Cycleworx in Box Hill.

I hear you on the distributor, no response on when a XXL will be available down here (I read November for the US somewhere around here).

Once the XXL becomes available it will be a case of will any of the 3 Melb stores move a bit on price. TBSM in Sydney are the best advertised including the cost of sending it to me made up! (just have to put front wheel and handlebars on).

Enjoy Lysterfield and post some pics of the TBLT in action.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    hi guys. I have a talas 29 rlc 2012 on my tallboy. but i am not really satisfied with the fork cause there are always, even after pushing it really hard 2 cm left. and I really dont need this adjustable feature cause I never put it down on uphills. therefore, my question would be: is a float 29 better and does it uses all travel?

Creepy tooth fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by OneSlowBusa View Post
    Well, my LT showed up to the LBS today. Its a AL with the matte black CCCP.

Hopefully they will get it built up tomorrow and I can get out for a ride Wed. Super stocked about how the CCCP turned out. Went by and grabbed few crappy cell phone pics of it fresh out of the box.

Hope the photos show up
    Is the CCCP Satin with Black Metallic or Trans Black? Looks great!
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post
    Is the CCCP Satin with Black Metallic or Trans Black? Looks great!
    Black Metallic- I'm really impressed with the way the CCCP has help up after 600+ miles. Thanks Edit: Here's a pretty recent photo after switching to the shadow + rer mech.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-2012-08-19_18-46-18_807.jpg  

Scooter Riding Girl Scout

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt

TBLTa Creaking...

Pretty sure it's the lower link of the shock on my TBLTa. It only creaks when I'm coasting. As soon as I pedal, the creaking goes away. Bolts are tight... I've only dry-washed the bike (only a few months old), never hit it with water from a hose. My lower VPP link has plenty of grease. Anyone else experience this? It seems a bit premature to get creaks but I don't know how long my bike sat at the LBS (prior to my purchase) so maybe I need to disassemble the link and do a clean/lube? Thanks in advance!
    Can you hear me now?

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Quote Originally Posted by cycljunkie View Post
    Pretty sure it's the lower link of the shock on my TBLTa. It only creaks when I'm coasting. As soon as I pedal, the creaking goes away. Bolts are tight... I've only dry-washed the bike (only a few months old), never hit it with water from a hose. My lower VPP link has plenty of grease. Anyone else experience this? It seems a bit premature to get creaks but I don't know how long my bike sat at the LBS (prior to my purchase) so maybe I need to disassemble the link and do a clean/lube? Thanks in advance!
    Google is your friend... Found this link helpful. All of my pivot axles were a little loose and the collet-heads were void of any grease. After adjusting the bearings and applying some grease, etc. silence is golden!!!
    Last edited by cycljunkie; 10-15-2012 at 04:42 PM.
    Can you hear me now?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Anyone running a coil shock?

I never use the propedal, maybe the rare occasion I can ride to the trail head - even without it I don't find the suspension moving much due to pedaling. Any advantage to going coil over the rp23 Kashima.

Gotta say, I love this bike. I've ridden my ti hardtail once since getting the LTa, I think the old ht is going up for sale.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Just got my LTc last friday after placing the order on monday night. I test rode a turner sultan, specialized camber and tallboy al. I didnt like the camber (and didnt want to go with any brain shocks) and I loved the sultan. The tallboy was in the middle but was very good. there were zero demos on the LT around here, but the geometry was similar to the sultan and it was half the price so I decided to go for it.

There was a LBS in pleasanton, ca that sold the LT a for $2500 (2800 with tax + shipping)for the R AM spec which was a great deal. Unfortunately I live in texas and so they wouldnt sell it to me unless I went to the shop.

None of the LBS here carried it the LTa stock and with tax they wanted around 3500 for the R AM spec. One of the online dealers had a carbon R AM spec for 3900, so for $400 more I decided to just get the carbon. From the time I ordered it only took 4 days to get here just in time for me to ride it all weekend.

The bike is solid, although Im new to cycling (only ridden about 400 miles on my 2000 gary fisher FS) so I dont have much to compare it to.

im trying to resist the urge to upgrade anything and just enjoy the stock build for awhile.

Im still getting the bike adjusted properly, but one issue Im having is a lot of pedal strikes. I noticed that Im using all the travel on my front and rear suspension on only moderately technical trails so I will air those up a bit. However are pedal strikes the norm for this bike? On my 26er I would maybe get 0-2, on the ltc on the same trails Im getting maybe 15-20. Last night I pinned my toe between the pedal and a rock pedaling through a rock garden. That really hurt.

Now older but less slow!
    Yep I find pedal strikes are a lot more common.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    im trying to resist the urge to upgrade anything and just enjoy the stock build for awhile.

Im still getting the bike adjusted properly, but one issue Im having is a lot of pedal strikes. I noticed that Im using all the travel on my front and rear suspension on only moderately technical trails so I will air those up a bit. However are pedal strikes the norm for this bike? On my 26er I would maybe get 0-2, on the ltc on the same trails Im getting maybe 15-20. Last night I pinned my toe between the pedal and a rock pedaling through a rock garden. That really hurt.
    Just do it! UPGRADES!

The pedal strike thing...yeah, you'll need to start doing the stutter steps when you're pin-balling thru rocks.

Can you do me a favor and take an as accurate of measurement as you can of your BB height - BB center to the flat ground w/ the bike unloaded? And also, what kind of sag are you running on the rear shock and fork. Lastly what kind of tire and its size is on your bike?

KerryN, and Hallendersauce (now CO2xxx something), can I bum you two to do the same?

I'm trying to get an idea of just how big these Conti TK 2.4s are. My BB is sitting at 13.75", unloaded and you'll notice that's 0.35" taller than the claimed stock/OE geo. Just for comparison, my Blur LTc's BB sit's at 13.2", and that's w/ a pair of Conti TK 2.2s. TIA guys.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Now older but less slow!
    I can measure my BB height tonight. When I first rode the demo bike I was getting a huge amount of pedal hits whereas my old bike never got any. I measured that one and i recall that it was 13.4", the same as my old bike. The difference is my old bike had only 4" front, 3" rear travel with about 25% sag. The new one has 5.5" front, 5.3" rear with around 30% sag. When settled, the BB is a lot lower to the ground and it blowes through its travel a lot easier than my prior ride.

I would guess that while riding the BB is around a 1/2 inch lower to the ground and that makes a huge difference. So far to me this is the only negative to the bike. It takes a lot more effort to avoid the pedal strike. I strike less now but it still takes me by susprise from time to time and generally knocks my foot of the pedal when it does.

An extra 0.4" on the BB height may be hice but then perhaps that would mess with the GEO of the bike that makes the rest feel so great.

Creepy tooth fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by mlx john View Post
    A little bit of back story:
    I work at a LBS as a mechanic, so am able to purchase EP bikes once a year, ride them for a year and then sell and get another.
    Started mountain biking in 1990. Started out riding fully rigid Cannondales, then a Delta-V with a headshock in 1993. Made the switch to full suspension year 2000 and rode a Raven II and then a Jekyll (first version). In 2010 started work at a LBS, went from single pivot to an aluminum Spez SJ FSR. In 2011 I rode a Remedy 9, then 2012 went back to SJ FSR (carbon this time). All of the bikes up to this point were 26ers I was one of those guys who scoffed at 29ers, calling them clown bikes, wagon wheelers, etc.

When the shop received a couple of LTc's, I took one on a parking lot ride and realized I had to have one.

I've ridden a few of our 29 demo bikes (aluminum FSR SJ, and the Epic). Was not impressed. The Tallboy felt more agile. When I started considering the LTc, I took our AL Tallboy demo out for about 6 rides. My SJ @ the time was full XO, carbon, and weighed 26.9# setup tubeless with a RS reverb. The Tallboy weighed 29.5# with sealant tubes. I was shocked, first ride I smoked all of my SJ's times (I admit I use Strava, srry bikesnob) both climbs and descents. By minutes.

Most of our rides here in Albuquerque consist of long technical climbs, followed by long technical descents. The only complaint I had with the Tallboy was the 100mm travel. It was capable, but would start to get overwhelmed at times. This sealed the deal.

This is the last bike I think I will ever buy. In one word, Sick.

Climbs as well as the Tallboy (beat the regular tallboy's climb times) and is unbelievable on the descents. Scary fast.

Only change I've made is ditched the Ardents and threw on 2.25 Nobby Nics setup tubeless. They are expensive, but worth it IMO. The tires are great, hook up well, and are reasonably light. 650 grams each, the Ardents were 850 grams so shaved off just under a pound. The bike is 28.5# with XTR trail pedals.
    Cool review, sir. I am coming from a slightly different direction in that I have been aboard bigger travel and burlier SC rigs for a long time...Heckler, Nomad, Butcher. I started mountain biking 3 years before you so we are otherwise in a similar camp. I currently ride a Butcher that clocks in at 32.5 lbs so sure I could drop some weight off of it. A game changer for me was this summer throwing a leg over a Kona Honzo. I had up until then never ridden a 29'er that I did not feel like I was up on a bar stool after a few too many regarding the handling. The Kona however ripped up the climbs and smoked on the descents. It's combo of a slack front end and a steeper seat angle are what does it, ATMO. My question is while the LTc at a lighter weight and with big wheels will be a better climber, how will it fair next to the beasts I have rode (and loved) on descents (the nastier, the better)? I am on the East Coast with trails trails characterized by steep heart-breaking climbs, thick forests and very twisty, rocky, rooty, sloppy trails. I don't know anyone who is riding one of these yet, but I intend to look into picking one up next year. I also would set it up with a Angle set headset to slacken the front end even further. What say you?

mtbr member
    I can measure my BB height tonight. When I first rode the demo bike I was getting a huge amount of pedal hits whereas my old bike never got any. I measured that one and i recall that it was 13.4", the same as my old bike. The difference is my old bike had only 4" front, 3" rear travel with about 25% sag. The new one has 5.5" front, 5.3" rear with around 30% sag. When settled, the BB is a lot lower to the ground and it blowes through its travel a lot easier than my prior ride.

I would guess that while riding the BB is around a 1/2 inch lower to the ground and that makes a huge difference. So far to me this is the only negative to the bike. It takes a lot more effort to avoid the pedal strike. I strike less now but it still takes me by susprise from time to time and generally knocks my foot of the pedal when it does.

An extra 0.4" on the BB height may be hice but then perhaps that would mess with the GEO of the bike that makes the rest feel so great.
    Thanks K.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post
    Cool review, sir. I am coming from a slightly different direction in that I have been aboard bigger travel and burlier SC rigs for a long time...Heckler, Nomad, Butcher. I started mountain biking 3 years before you so we are otherwise in a similar camp. I currently ride a Butcher that clocks in at 32.5 lbs so sure I could drop some weight off of it. A game changer for me was this summer throwing a leg over a Kona Honzo. I had up until then never ridden a 29'er that I did not feel like I was up on a bar stool after a few too many regarding the handling. The Kona however ripped up the climbs and smoked on the descents. It's combo of a slack front end and a steeper seat angle are what does it, ATMO. My question is while the LTc at a lighter weight and with big wheels will be a better climber, how will it fair next to the beasts I have rode (and loved) on descents (the nastier, the better)? I am on the East Coast with trails trails characterized by steep heart-breaking climbs, thick forests and very twisty, rocky, rooty, sloppy trails. I don't know anyone who is riding one of these yet, but I intend to look into picking one up next year. I also would set it up with a Angle set headset to slacken the front end even further. What say you?
    I don't own this bike yet (I ride a regular TBc now) but plan to pick one up this weekend.

Speaking specifically to your question, I read earlier this week about a guy who took his LTc to Trestle Bike Park at Winter Park and was taking it down all the full blown DH runs. He did nothing but rave about the bike.

mtbr member
    HELLBELLY,

My favorite bike before the LTc was the Remedy, which is very similar to your Butcher.

My Remedy had 6 inches front and rear and for all intensive purposes, the same head tube angle (Remedy 68 degrees to the Butcher's 67.5)

The LTc is a far more capable bike in every regard than the Remedy. Not even close. 3 to 4 foot drops (to a flat landing) no problem. It blasts through rock gardens and climbs like an XC bike. It really is astounding to me. There has been a little bit of a learning curve in regards to handling after riding 26ers exclusively for so long, but the LTc is surprisingly nimble. Easy to manual and pretty responsive for a long travel 29er. It does like to be ridden aggressively.

An angleset is an interesting idea. I know that the SB95 has a HA of 68.6. Bringing the LTc HA of 69.5 closer to that might make it even more of a downhill shredder, but might make the steering a little sluggish. SC does state that the LT was designed for a 130mm to 150mm fork. Don't know of a 150mm 29er fork at this point.

I do recommend the Fox 34 though. The 32 on the Remedy seemed overwhelmed at times.

BTW, the bike handles tight trails and switchbacks with no problem. Excellent traction on the rocky climbs and corners like it's on rails.
    2014 Tallboy 2

Now older but less slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    KerryN, and Hallendersauce (now CO2xxx something), can I bum you two to do the same?
    Based on my limits of measuring I got 13.25 inches BB height (floor to center of axle). I currently have on a 2.25 Ardent (front) and 2.2 Ikon (rear).

I'm currently running 28% sag front and about 25% rear. I'm not getting full travel at the mo (getting about 90%) though so I need to soften up the suspension a bit. When I do I expect to get a few more pedal strikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Based on my limits of measuring I got 13.25 inches BB height (floor to center of axle). I currently have on a 2.25 Ardent (front) and 2.2 Ikon (rear).

I'm currently running 28% sag front and about 25% rear. I'm not getting full travel at the mo (getting about 90%) though so I need to soften up the suspension a bit. When I do I expect to get a few more pedal strikes.
    I measured 34.3 cm (13.5"). My sag was too low I think (Im just eyeballing but it was around 25-30% front and rear) so I upped the pressure so Im about 20% front and rear.

My pedal clearance is 17cm.

Both the bottom bracket height and pedal clearance are the same or just a bit higher than my old bike. So it is clearly a travel issue. I think airing the shock will help as it isnt really a geometry problem.

mtbr member
    I measured 34.3 cm (13.5"). My sag was too low I think (Im just eyeballing but it was around 25-30% front and rear) so I upped the pressure so Im about 20% front and rear.

Both the bottom bracket height and pedal clearance are the same or just a bit higher than my old bike. So it is clearly a travel issue. I think airing the shock will help as it isnt really a geometry problem.
    Hey, thanks guys! Looks like I've got between 3/8th to 1/2" on either of you. If this is an indication of tire height and overall size...holy crap the TK is a LOT bigger in volume!
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Im running stock wtb i23 with the maxxis ardent front and rear

Creepy tooth fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by mlx john View Post
    HELLBELLY,

My favorite bike before the LTc was the Remedy, which is very similar to your Butcher.

My Remedy had 6 inches front and rear and for all intensive purposes, the same head tube angle (Remedy 68 degrees to the Butcher's 67.5)

The LTc is a far more capable bike in every regard than the Remedy. Not even close. 3 to 4 foot drops (to a flat landing) no problem. It blasts through rock gardens and climbs like an XC bike. It really is astounding to me. There has been a little bit of a learning curve in regards to handling after riding 26ers exclusively for so long, but the LTc is surprisingly nimble. Easy to manual and pretty responsive for a long travel 29er. It does like to be ridden aggressively.

An angleset is an interesting idea. I know that the SB95 has a HA of 68.6. Bringing the LTc HA of 69.5 closer to that might make it even more of a downhill shredder, but might make the steering a little sluggish. SC does state that the LT was designed for a 130mm to 150mm fork. Don't know of a 150mm 29er fork at this point.

I do recommend the Fox 34 though. The 32 on the Remedy seemed overwhelmed at times.

BTW, the bike handles tight trails and switchbacks with no problem. Excellent traction on the rocky climbs and corners like it's on rails.

I think it is all about the differences in geometry. On the Honzo (read my take about here), it is very pronounced and there are very few bikes that have this kind of set up. The Tallboy LT is on the more mild side of the equation with it's 69.5/72.6 angles versus the Honzo's 68 (67 with a 140 fork)/74 angles. I would go with the angleset on the the Tallboy LT out of the gate. My friend is getting the Banshee Prime and it's geometry matches the Kona, but I have always been a diehard SC fan having owned 5 of them. I have never had any climbing issues with the slack front ends on my bikes so I would not expect it to be a problem with the Tallboy LT. I suspect that a 150mm 29'er fork may be coming along. I would love to see Rock Shox do a 29'er Lyrik SA, but we'll see.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Last edited by Err; 10-17-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I have a 1.5 angleset in mine. With a Fox 34 Talas it measures up at about 67.5 in 140 mode and around 69 in 110 mode. I find it to be pretty darn good for use as an agressive AM bike that I can still pedal up very quickly on. The WB is definitely fairly long and requires a fair bit of input but it's hardly unruly and makes for great stability up around 30+ MPH.

Build shakes out like -
    Frame: Med TB LTc, RP23
    Fork: TALAS 34 RLC
    Headset: Angleset @ 1.5
    Stem: Chromag Ranger, 50 mm
    Bars: Easton Havoc Carbon, extended to 31" with ODI wingtips
    Grips: ESI Chunky
    Brakes: XTR Trail, 180 Fr & Rr
    Saddle: Selle Italia SLR TT
    Clamp: Chromag NQR
    Cranks: Race Face SIXC, 175
    Chain Ring: Chromag, 32t
    Guide: MRP Lopes
    Pedals: XTR trail
    Shifter: X0 10spd
    Cassette: XX 11-36
    Rear Mech: X0 10spd
    Wheels: I9's laced to CCC rims, setup tubeless w/1 wrap Gorilla tape & Stans valves
    Tires: 2.35 Nobby Nic or 2.35 Hans Dampf dep on conditions

Weight: 26.9 lbs with Nobby Nics

FWIW, I'm starting to feel that 29'ers tend to benefit as much as 26'ers when it comes to slack angles for all-around ripping. NOT in the sense of preventing over-the-bars scenarios but rather in keeping the front end stable at very high speeds. I find that I spend a good bit of time at higher top speeds on my 29'er than I typically did on my 26'er trail bike. The gyroscopic effect of the larger wheel is complementary to this, but I don't think it's quite enough in all situations. Slackening out the front end lends a ton of high-speed stability. Also on the up-shot, the added traction of the 29" wheel means I'm comparatively not washing the front end in flat turns like on very slack 26". Perhaps it's just a fix for very niche riding style tho.

mtbr member

Good job!

Sick build.
    2014 Tallboy 2

Mick
    Jun 2011
    The Tallboy LTC is the "GUN" bike !

Page 51 of 148 FirstFirst ... 41 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 61 101 ... LastLast