Page 5 of 141 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    I own a 2011 S/C TallBoy carbon with Fox 32 Talas 29er fork - I leave it in the 120mm setting ... I can't say enough Great things about this bike ... I have a S/C TallBoy LTc coming ... If, I could only have One bike, I would go 2012 S/C TallBoy LTc all the way !!! No Question !!!
    Last edited by JohnnyG 1970; 05-15-2012 at 06:56 PM.
    2011 Santa Cruz TallBoy carbon & 2013 TallBoy LT carbon - S/C All the Time !!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by max_croft View Post
    Hey guys. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a tallboy, but I can't decide which one. The Tallboy C or the LTc. I'm only allowed one bike, which of the two is the most versatile? For those who own/have ridden both. If you had your choice, which way would you go and why? I know this might sound like a really vague question, but I've been through the pros and cons on each in my own head for far too long. I need a new perspective. Thanks guys.
    Pfff... easy one! Trade-in (return) the chic who'd only let you have one bike, save some moneys and get a LTc and keep your C. Problem solved
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGME View Post
    Probably going to be hard to get unbiased recomendations in the LT ownersthread. That being said LT all the way
    Oh crap! I had the "Tallboy vs. Tallboy LT" thread open and this one in the other tab and mixed them up.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    You need to give a little more info. Where do you ride? What kind of riding do you mostly do? XC or AM?
    In the past, I mainly rode AM/FR sort of bikes. I enjoyed dropping off big stuff. I haven't been proper riding for about 3 years due to a basketball injury. In that time, I've ridden a few bikes that my friends own which is what convinced me that I'd really like a 29er. I'm no longer interested in riding only big stuff and I'm really glad to be getting away from those heavy bikes. Now, I enjoy a mix of fast and flowy singletrack as well as the more technical/big rocks and root stuff too. This is why the 29er was a no brainer as I'm not doing super tight stuff so I'm not going to miss my 26" wheels.

Until the LT was announced, I had my heart set on the Tallboy. But then the reports of the LT suggested that it was just as nimble, climbed just as well and had a more plush ride started to give me doubts. By the sounds of it, it comes across as being more of a Tallboy version 2. I guess I'm just trying to find out if that's an accurate claim. I guess since about 80% of my riding will be XC kinda stuff, the Tallboy seems the clear winner. Yet I keep hearing about how the LT does everything the Tallboy does only better, argh, I keep going in circles. Ultimately, I want/enjoy a plush comfortable ride but I still want it to be quick on the flat stuff as well as a good climber. By all accounts the LT seems like it does it all, but I just don't want to make the wrong choice.

I suppose if I could get more feedback from riders of either what they think the strengths and weaknesses are, it could help me finalise my decision. I'm able to demo a standard Tallboy, but not the LT which makes things a bit harder. Damn you Santa Cruz, why could you have just made the LT strictly an AM bike and made it really heavy and ride like a pig

mtbr member
    Oh crap! I had the "Tallboy vs. Tallboy LT" thread open and this one in the other tab and mixed them up.

In the past, I mainly rode AM/FR sort of bikes. I enjoyed dropping off big stuff. I haven't been proper riding for about 3 years due to a basketball injury. In that time, I've ridden a few bikes that my friends own which is what convinced me that I'd really like a 29er. I'm no longer interested in riding only big stuff and I'm really glad to be getting away from those heavy bikes. Now, I enjoy a mix of fast and flowy singletrack as well as the more technical/big rocks and root stuff too. This is why the 29er was a no brainer as I'm not doing super tight stuff so I'm not going to miss my 26" wheels.

Until the LT was announced, I had my heart set on the Tallboy. But then the reports of the LT suggested that it was just as nimble, climbed just as well and had a more plush ride started to give me doubts. By the sounds of it, it comes across as being more of a Tallboy version 2. I guess I'm just trying to find out if that's an accurate claim. I guess since about 80% of my riding will be XC kinda stuff, the Tallboy seems the clear winner. Yet I keep hearing about how the LT does everything the Tallboy does only better, argh, I keep going in circles. Ultimately, I want/enjoy a plush comfortable ride but I still want it to be quick on the flat stuff as well as a good climber. By all accounts the LT seems like it does it all, but I just don't want to make the wrong choice.

I suppose if I could get more feedback from riders of either what they think the strengths and weaknesses are, it could help me finalise my decision. I'm able to demo a standard Tallboy, but not the LT which makes things a bit harder. Damn you Santa Cruz, why could you have just made the LT strictly an AM bike and made it really heavy and ride like a pig
    Man, you only live once, so splurge and get the LTc and make many faces as you "have multiples" in your bike shorts! I'm gonna...this winter! Starting to collect bits now...142 rear King axle, researching a LOT on those cheap carbon rims, checking on the White Bros Loop 29er 140mm fork... Next, research on mixing 9spd 34/22 front rings w/ 10spd 11-36 stack.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    But, the LT is going to be heavier, specially the 140mm fork, and also the frame.
    I've read in multiple places (launch articles) that the LTc frame is actually lighter than the regular TBc frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH View Post
    I've read in multiple places (launch articles) that the LTc frame is actually lighter than the regular TBc frame.
    You are right. I checked the SC site and the LT frame should really be a bit lighter.
    Another + for the LT.

mtbr member
    One for Portugal

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfas View Post
    One for Portugal

which size is it? noooo nice

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Pfff... easy one! Trade-in (return) the chic who'd only let you have one bike, save some moneys and get a LTc and keep your C. Problem solved
    Haha!

The other thing I was thinking about today was, since it has to be a do-it-all bike, I'll probably be using it about twice a week for an hour each day for small errands around town. Would I be correct in assuming that since they're roughly the same weight and utilize the same VPP suspension, that they would be equal in terms of performance on the road/pavement or would the slacker geometry and 20mm taller fork have a larger effect on pedalling efficiency?

Sorry if these questions seem dumb/obvious to you guys. I've only ever ridden rather heavy AM bikes in the past. The lightweight 29er world is completely new to me.

mtbr member
    Size L

mtbr member
    One for Portugal

I really, really would like to stick to my approx $3500 budget, but DAMN that LTC is nice. Someone mentioned that you only live once, and now my crazy ass is considering the LTC. Gotta get a road bike too, so I'm looking at around $6000 all at once. If only I were even remotely as drawn to the aesthetics of the aluminum version. Geez...I completely forgot about tax being added on. $4800 is insanity.

Got some seeeerious soul-searching to do, haha. Congrats on your new frame brotha!

BIGME
    Haha!

The other thing I was thinking about today was, since it has to be a do-it-all bike, I'll probably be using it about twice a week for an hour each day for small errands around town. Would I be correct in assuming that since they're roughly the same weight and utilize the same VPP suspension, that they would be equal in terms of performance on the road/pavement or would the slacker geometry and 20mm taller fork have a larger effect on pedalling efficiency?

Sorry if these questions seem dumb/obvious to you guys. I've only ever ridden rather heavy AM bikes in the past. The lightweight 29er world is completely new to me.
    I wouldn't classify this in the lightweight category. If it's not an xc slayer by any means. If I were going to race in any capacity (which isn't on my bucket list), my LT probably would not be the weapon of choice.

As far as pavement performance, i don't think that consideration was given in this design. Tire selection will decide this outcome.

Buy this bike because of the fun factor. It does really well in many different areas; however, I do not belive that it would be seriously competitive in any one strict discipline. It's a 29er with 5" of travel. it's basically a lazy boy with a 10sp cassette that when you pedal it doesn't feel very lazy anymore, but the comfort is still there. Probably a terrible analogy, but it's the best i could come up with at the moment.

good luck.
    I might have amnesia, but at least I don't have amnesia!

mtbr member
    sometimes I think to myself:

Am I scrooge... or do I really have dificulty in spending the hard money earned... or do I get Undersalary...

Besides that though:
    CONGRATS, GREAT BIKE, HOPE YOU ENJOY!

mtbr member
    The bike isn't mine, is a test bike from Pernalonga. I'm thinking trading my BLT for ... BLTc or Tallboy LTc not for now, maybe in the end of the year, maybe.

The other thing I was thinking about today was, since it has to be a do-it-all bike, I'll probably be using it about twice a week for an hour each day for small errands around town.
    If you need a commuter/errand bike, buy a used mtn bike HT or something. Do you really want to be locking up a ~$4-6K bike outside of a store?

b a n n e d
    The bike isn't mine, is a test bike from Pernalonga. I'm thinking trading my BLT for ... BLTc or Tallboy LTc not for now, maybe in the end of the year, maybe.
    As soon as carbon framesets are available, I'll be building one up and selling the BLT.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Is that a black/green SL29 in the window? It looks good. Lower-slung than I was expecting. Probably a smaller size, but still.

mtbr member
    I stopped into the LBS and was surprised to see a row of Tallboy LTs on the rack!
    Nice looking rides. I'm waiting for an LTc but it was good to see the bikes on the rack. They are real!
    Adventure Bikes in Gilbert, AZ if anyone needs one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post
    I've been riding my Tallboy LT for a couple of weeks now. And I like it more the more I ride it! It climbs well thanks to the VPP suspension, and is light enough to not feel bulky or heavy while doing so. On the downhills and in the rough it really shines.

I got the Ram kit, which is a super smoking deal. I've only upgraded the brakes to Shimano Xt so far. I'll probably fit a little wider bar (the Ram kit comes specced with a 688mm truvative bar that feels a little heavy) and a new stem, have ordered a Chronolog seat post, and may change out the Shimano 3 x 10 for an XTR 2x10 crankset. Still works out to a great bike for the money and a great bike regardless of the money!

I've always been slow on some of the deeply rutted single track downhill trails, but recently found that I am catching up with the wiry little skinny guys with mad skills, if they don't also have a long travel bike.

Color me impressed!
    +1

I have the same bike. What made you swap brakes after two weeks. Are the XT Ice that much better? It's like a $350 swap right? If you say its worth it and makes a difference I'll pick up a set for sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Intense29 View Post
    +1

I have the same bike. What made you swap brakes after two weeks. Are the XT Ice that much better? It's like a $350 swap right? If you say its worth it and makes a difference I'll pick up a set for sure.
    I have Exilir 7s on my Stumpjumper and hate them, my XT disc brakes from 2000 are better than these.

I already talked to my shop, IF I order a R kit, he'll swap out the brakes for XT and all I have to pay is the difference in cost.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

WWJR

LTc coming

Will be here end of June...

Black Matte/Carbon XL
    Fox 34 Float fork
    Stans ZTR Arch EX, laced to red i9's
    thompson stem/seatpost
    XTR brakes
    XT everything else

*should be one badass 29

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hullendersauce View Post
    Will be here end of June...

Black Matte/Carbon XL
    Fox 34 Float fork
    Stans ZTR Arch EX, laced to red i9's
    thompson stem/seatpost
    XTR brakes
    XT everything else

*should be one badass 29
    Are you SurlyOldManMN on the Legacy forums?
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Intense29 View Post
    +1

Definitely make the switch. The XT brakes are fantastic. Go with bigger rotors too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Can anyone confirm what hubs come on the Carbon with a R kit?

Website says XT, but as far as I know, XT doesn't come in a 142 rear.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Can anyone confirm what hubs come on the Carbon with a R kit?

Website says XT, but as far as I know, XT doesn't come in a 142 rear.
    DT 350 says MtotheF (and he should know...)
    Tallboy LT pricing

Page 5 of 141 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast