Page 3 of 146 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 103 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    DMFT - Thanks for the review on the TallBoy LT ... Nice ... Very Nice Bro !!!
    2011 Santa Cruz TallBoy carbon & 2013 TallBoy LT carbon - S/C All the Time !!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Carbons.....Large's in May, other sizes in June........

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by markymark View Post
    was that a full bike, or frame only?
    Sorry for delayed response....it is a complete bike. No shipping info from me on frames only. LBS spoke to Santa Cruz today and they have everyone building bikes to fill the huge demand.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose512 View Post
    No shipping info from me on frames only. LBS spoke to Santa Cruz today and they have everyone building bikes to fill the huge demand.
    Who the hell wants complete bikes....give us the frames ASAP SC, FFS.......

BIGME
    Mine as well as my friends Lt's arrived on Thursday and were ready for pickup on friday morning (thank you Cycle Masters in Turlock). However, I was on a camping trip with the wife and the kids so I didn't really get to try it out yet. Just went to install by GD seat post and realized i didn't have the right shim. I may have to ride like a normal person for a week or two.

I really wanted to post this on Friday, but didn't have time before I left for the Lake.

More to come..........

So stoked about this bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    I might have amnesia, but at least I don't have amnesia!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    IS that black with black graphics or did you take the graphics off? Looks cool whatever you did. I'm just wondering how you did it so fast.

BIGME
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    IS that black with black graphics or did you take the graphics off? Looks cool whatever you did. I'm just wondering how you did it so fast.
    As Stock as Stock can be (at least right now)

b a n n e d
    It looks like the gunmetal grey.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGME View Post
    As Stock as Stock can be (at least right now)
    What color is this? Was this one of the CCCP bikes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pachaven View Post
    Just ordered the Carbon Orange with the XTRam29 and Fox 34 to go with little sister TB
    Little sister? Looks like a happy family...

BIGME
    What color is this? Was this one of the CCCP bikes?
    No it's not one of the CCCP's. it's one of the 2 options for the aluminum frame (Gun Black)

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm considering selling my SJ to get one of these. Has anyone read any info on why the Aluminum one is 135? I was wondering if they are using a stock Tallboy rear triangle.

I want an Alum, but I also want the 142. Wondering if they may update at a later date.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've looked at your bike about 5 times already and every time I say that is sick! Have you rode it yet? Impressions? My tallboy carbon has still not come in and I'm really tempted to cut bait and tell them to make it a Tallboy LTc. Give us a review on that bad boy!

BIGME
    I've looked at your bike about 5 times already and every time I say that is sick! Have you rode it yet? Impressions? My tallboy carbon has still not come in and I'm really tempted to cut bait and tell them to make it a Tallboy LTc. Give us a review on that bad boy!
    Put about 2.5hrs on it tonight. All in all, I really like it, (that could be because i am trying to justify my purchase though ) I need some time to set up the fork as the pressure tables don't seem to suit my riding style very well. Once I had it in plush mode i was having a blast. The tire choice is iffy (at least where I was riding).

I think the coolest thing was that, since I don't have my dropper post on it yet, I was actually pretty comfortable riding all but 2 sections with the seat up at about my highest climbing position. I am a wee portly and tend to eat it with the seat up, so this was a bonus.

I have been riding a Remedy 9 with the 36 talas as well as all of the other goodies, and I was able to clean a few nasty climbs on the TBLT that I have a 50/50 record of on the Remedy. I would say that is a pretty good start to the relationship. (could be new bike syndrome, but I don't care)/

Can't wait to put the dropper on and see what kind of trouble I get in to.

BIGME
    The Dropper has been installed. Looked online at the fork manual and figured out how to set the front to my liking. Heading to the local enduro area tonight for test run #2. Sat i am meeting with 3 riders who are a whole lot better than i for our first High Sierra adventure of the season. Pics and Fish stories to come.

Still giddy like a little girl.

mtbr member
    BIGME- If you don't mind me asking when did you place the order for the bike, you seem to be one of the first folks in the country to get their hands on one. Glad your initial impressions are favorable, look forward to the review with the reverb.
    Scooter Riding Girl Scout

BIGME
    Our local shop wasn't open until Tuesday the 3rd, or I would have ordered on that Sunday the 1st. I am pretty sure it was on that tuesday, but no later than Wed the 4th. My friend ordered his the same time. I am not sure if it makes a difference or not, but the shop I go too is only about 125 miles from Santa Cruz. Another buddy just picked up a carbon nomad from directly from their HQ.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripo View Post
    Carbons.....Large's in May, other sizes in June........
    My lbs told me the same thing the other day. They didn't know when in June for the xl's.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by markymark View Post
    My lbs told me the same thing the other day. They didn't know when in June for the xl's.
    Just talked to CBO. My XL alloy is slated to arrive to them on June 1st

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that the TB LT & TB TLc package deal prices aren't consistent?

TB LT with Ram29 kit is $3199, frame only is $1999 so build kit cost is $1200.
    TB LTc with Ram29 kit is $4399, frame only is $2699 so build kit cost is $1700.

$500 difference in build kit cost.

TB LT with SPXam29 kit is $4299, frame only is $1999 so build kit cost is $2300.
    TB LTc with SPXam29 kit is $5299, frame only is $2699 so build kit cost is $2600.

$300 difference in build kit cost.

Ref:
    Santa Cruz Bicycles
    Santa Cruz Bicycles

I know the rear hub required is different between the 2 frames (135 vs. 142) but I can't see where the $300-500 difference is.
    The answer from MtotheF from SC here:
    Tallboy LT pricing

BIGME
    So the LT made it's first "real" ride of the season. 20 miles with 2500 ft of climbing. Would have been more, but there was too much snow above 7000ft. The trail we were trying to get to starts at 8600, so we ended up turning around and making our way to one that tops out at about 6,800i. It's still is a little early in the season, but hey, we had to try.

Climbing: All of my serious climbing has been on 26" wheels so there is some adjustment, but I climbed everything and I mean everything, in the middle or big ring (and I am not all that strong of a climber), so I am pretty sure this bike passes that test.

Descending: I didn't magically become any better than I was the last time I rode this trail, but I did clear everything that I have previously cleared on my Remedy (with the exception of 1 really long shoot) the first time on it, and even cleaned a climb that has about a 3 ft rock face (which I have never cleaned before.( Had I had a pair big enough to get off the brakes and let the bike do what it was meant to, there is no doubt the bike would have done it.) My friend Bruce who also bought the bike, pinned it. He was tearing everything up. His previous 29er was a 5" travel Ventana, and he swears this bike is a big step up. He is very happy too.

Still not overly impressed with the front tire, however, it is a awesome rear tire, so I am not sure if it's because of me, or the tire.I have been riding Nevegals for so long i may be traction spoiled.

Kick Ass way to start the season. Hopefully the snow melts and I can put a few good beatings in on this soon.

Want to go back tomorrow, may have bribe my wife with something fancy,
    Attached Images Attached Images          

Bikes!
    Thanks for the report BIGME, it's sounds like an honest appraisal of your first ride!

Enjoy the bike it looks great!
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
    2015 Trek Farley 8

mtbr member
    Just demo'd the LTc, and here's my $0.02.

First, the sizing... I'm on a large BLTc, but demo'd the med TB LTc. I wanted to ride the large, but screwed up...ran to my car to get my CC and got sent to the back of the line. Actually, I think this little "denial" was a blessing in that the med felt GREAT! I took a look online at the geo and found my lrg BLTc's TT was 23.5", and the med TB LTc's TT was 23.1. Both bikes w/ a 90mm stem and the TB didn't feel cramped at all! I'm thinking a 100mm stem will resolve any sort of reach issue and get me into the ideal length whereas a large would put me at using roughly an 80mm stem...

The ride.
    Well, everything they said about the larger wheels is true. It's just a touch harder to start it rolling, but once there, not as difficult to keep it there because the trail chunder just slows it down less....yeah the roll-over ability. The traction was also STOOPID! If any of you know about Apex on the CO Front Range, you know it's a chunder-fest w/ a variety of loose jagged baby-heads and sand/dust covered slabs at the steepest portion JeffCo Open Space placed to reduce erosion. On my BLTc and my MK1 Nomad, both would spin-out on these pitches. I plowed the TB LTc into every one of these pitches to get a feel of its traction. On one in particular, I decided to slow my roll on the pitch to see how the traction was, but stalled out. So, you know what a PITA starting up again mid-steep pitch can be...my demo's front end didn't even hint at rising, and the thing just scooted on up with minimal body-English! I was stunned!

Downhill
    During the lift operation season, I ride DH...typically high speed flow the blues, or just hang out on the blacks and jump lines all day. Just saying I know how to bend frames in turns. I did NOT feel the TB LTc's frame, wheel (some WTB mfg'd wheelset), or fork (Fox Float 34?) flex at all. I think the rear shock needed more air since less than a foot drop off water-bars got more than 95% rear travel...didn't bottom tho. Despite the smaller frame, the bike was very stable at speed in the Apex chunder, but with the advantage of allowing me to use more body-English (flick)...I think why I buzzed my butt a couple of times In a (off-camber) turn, it felt like a well carved turn on a fat-ski! There was no hint of steering lag due to the larger wheel. Like OO7 said, you'd totally forget you were on bigger wheels! This is only true until you roll into chunder...29ers are VERY well suited for ppl who likes to plow into rocks on the downs! The bike was VERY neutral in the air...I had on flats and ran my demo bike like I'd ride my DH bike...surprised a couple of other TB demo-ers when I passed them My ride needed some anti-seize here and there, but generally took what I dished out w/o any drama.

Finally, my legs were pretty shot from a road ride up Lookout Mountain yesterday...the same hill climb the US Pro Cycling Tour went up while buzzing around Golden, CO...only I did it in 4x their duration due to my lack of fitness from (grad) school work. But I swear, the pace I was able to sustain on the TB LTc was close to twice that of my BLTc! I climbed better, spun-out less (despite the crappy demo WTB tires), and was just able to keep rolling longer between stops. When (yeah, not if) I order mine this coming fall/winter, I think I would keep to the medium. The thinking is the benefits of the smaller frame on tech/chunder trails. I can get used to 0.4" of reach for long smooth trails, but having the whip-ability of a smaller frame when the trail gets dicey would supersede long haul comfort any day...at least for me and my home terrain.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Just sent you a PM for more details.
    Thanks!

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGME View Post
    ... My friend Bruce who also bought the bike, pinned it. He was tearing everything up. His previous 29er was a 5" travel Ventana, and he swears this bike is a big step up. He is very happy too.

Want to go back tomorrow, may have bribe my wife with something fancy,
    Did you get out for another ride over the weekend?

If your friend is on MTBR, I'm sure all of us that are waiting for bikes to arrive would like to read his bike report.

Page 3 of 146 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 103 ... LastLast