Page 136 of 148 FirstFirst ... 36 86 126 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 146 ... LastLast
Results 3,376 to 3,400 of 3680
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jab70 View Post
    yeah i wanna know bout that too!! I'm itching to do it but I'm thinking an aluminum 42t cog may not be strong enough, i weigh 300 . how big are u pau11y?
    190 kitted up w/ 70oz of water.

The 1x10 is good...when paired w/ the OneUp RAD cage...that front is only a 26T. Shifting is 95% of the XT/XTR level, but I'm running on a used cassette. I also managed to get my mitts on a real 10spd 16T XT cog, not some aftermarket hacktastic butchery. The big pizza cutter is plenty strong...there's a LOT more material there than it looks...pushing 3/16" thick at the driveshell. The only thing I'd mod is a 0.10mm shim between the last cassette cog and the pizza cutter. I'm finding the spacing a bit too close and the chain would rub a bit on the pizza cutter when it's sitting on the 36T cog. And, if I tune that out, it's sitting too far down/out on the smaller cogs...this is why I think a 9spd 16T cog (I found and bought some of those too) would work better...it's a bit thicker than the 10spd ones. Setup the shifting for the smaller cogs and the upper will have that little extra room. I'll need to test this out and I have a brand new cassette I can test this on...will update.

FYI on running a shock w/o any form of platform lockout or CS lever:
    If you're doing a smallish ring...say no larger than a 30T...altho I don't know anyone strong enough to push that kind of gear (30T) on a wagon wheel here in the CO/Front Range w/ our climbs right out of the parking lot, then the chain tension will make a lockout on a shock pretty much a moot point. I have my LSC pretty loaded up...a bit more than 60% closed...while the rebound is on the open side of mid range...40%-ish? The resi chamber is slightly more open than mid way and I'm not running too much pressure (200psi out of 300 possible) so the shock won't ramp too fast at end of stroke, because the TB LTc's fish hook compression curve. And lastly, that black disc under the spring is a linear thrust bearing spring seat. When I open up the shock's LSC for downs, that shock is unreal smooth! Oh, also have a needle bearing kit in the link side eyelet.

That fork, just one ride in, has broken in VERY nicely...as smooth as the Pike. Fox executed their negative air chamber a bit differently...you push down a touch to equalize the two chambers vs pulling up...and it seems the fork doesn't get sucked down. I'm liking a useful HSC vs the 3-position of the Pike. All settings were set to ~40% in from wide open for initial ride, and I haven't needed to open it up any more riding a pretty chundery trail (Chimney/Apex for those who know...smilinsteve). But, I also didn't ride at speed either, so I can see some tweaking on my next outing. The 20mm...again, wasn't riding at speed so can't say I noticed anything on the first outing. But, I just "feel" better knowing it has the bigger axle...yeah, could just all be in my head. I think I'll need to go back to the Pike to feel anything for comparison.

Next project, rebuild that Reverb w/ some quad seals...fun times ahead!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hi everyone - so I have a stupid question that I absolutely cannot locate the answer to. SC's site no longer has any info about the LTc, and I'm getting different answers from both the bike seller and Joe at SC Tech Dept.

I'm currently shopping a 2013 SC BLTc, and can't figure out the rear axle setup. Did the frames come with a 12x142? 12x135? 10x135? Also, for the rear....does SC use a thru-axle or thru-bolt?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have M60's also. Where did you get the decals to match the tallboy?

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkerBike View Post
    Here it is...finally built out.

ENVE Wheels
    Cane Creek DB Air
    Pike RCT3 Solo Air
    Thomson Elite

This bike is perfection. A work of art.

Attachment 914481
    2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    iDream Images

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisingrassia View Post
    Hi everyone - so I have a stupid question that I absolutely cannot locate the answer to. SC's site no longer has any info about the LTc, and I'm getting different answers from both the bike seller and Joe at SC Tech Dept.

I'm currently shopping a 2013 SC BLTc, and can't figure out the rear axle setup. Did the frames come with a 12x142? 12x135? 10x135? Also, for the rear....does SC use a thru-axle or thru-bolt?

Thanks!
    Mine is a 2013 as far as I know it's a 12 x 142. Through axle is a DT Swiss, threaded flavor.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Mine is a 2013 as far as I know it's a 12 x 142. Through axle is a DT Swiss, threaded flavor.
    Aluminum frames came with a narrower rear axle, but only early production years, IIRC. Carbon has always had 12x142, again if IIRC. Both frame materials are now 12x142. My 2013 carbon has a 12x142 DT Swiss threaded axle.

mtbr member

Thanks!
    Do you mean the Blur LTc or the Tallboy LTc?

Here's the best info I have for you on the 2013 Blur LTc: Santa Cruz Bicycles Blur LT Carbon Mountain Bike Frame | Competitive Cyclist
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Competent User

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread

You have to service the fox 34 every 30 hours, but the Pike requires much less regular service.

So there's that.

mtbr member

Re: Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Quint View Post
    You have to service the fox 34 every 30 hours, but the Pike requires much less regular service.

So there's that.
    200 hours on the Charger damper, 100 on the FIT. 30 hours is for the lube oil in the lowers.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post

Here's the best info I have for you on the 2013 Blur LTc: Santa Cruz Bicycles Blur LT Carbon Mountain Bike Frame | Competitive Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by whoodie View Post
    Aluminum frames came with a narrower rear axle, but only early production years, IIRC. Carbon has always had 12x142, again if IIRC. Both frame materials are now 12x142. My 2013 carbon has a 12x142 DT Swiss threaded axle.

Thank god I spotted this in the ad pictures. He had the bike listed as a 2013 Blur LTc, but I asked for pics of the rear axle setup. Sure enough, the frame has standard dropouts and he was running one of those 5mm skewer QR's. Total fail.

Thanks a lot for your help, I relied on your knowledge and link as the basis for challenging him. Hope someone else doesn't get ripped off for $3500 and then find that little surprise.

Competent User
    200 hours on the Charger damper, 100 on the FIT. 30 hours is for the lube oil in the lowers.
    This is why you shouldn't believe what morons (me) write on the internet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Quint View Post
    This is why you shouldn't believe what morons (me) write on the internet.
    200 hours is a LOOOONG time! I'd totally open up that fork before then...more like in the 100 hours realm. But that's just me and I have the ability and tools to do it. Like for cars, oil is cheap, replacing bits aren't.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by lejordi View Post
    I'll be interested to hear how you got in with the supercomps. I had the same build except Flow EX rims and kept breaking NDS spokes on the rear wheel after about a year. They all fractured at the end of the thread. Wheelbuilder rebuilt it for me using DT Swiss competition spokes and all is well so far. Not broken any Supercomps on the front wheel though.
    So far no issues at all with the spokes. The Derby rims are so stiff to begin with spoke stress is minimized. Although sometimes it really comes down to the wheel builder and the rider's style

mtbr member

Thank god I spotted this in the ad pictures. He had the bike listed as a 2013 Blur LTc, but I asked for pics of the rear axle setup. Sure enough, the frame has standard dropouts and he was running one of those 5mm skewer QR's. Total fail.

Thanks a lot for your help, I relied on your knowledge and link as the basis for challenging him. Hope someone else doesn't get ripped off for $3500 and then find that little surprise.
    I have a 2010 BLTc that uses 135x10 QR and it's a fine bike, but not $3500 fine. If it were me, I'd call him out and offer only $2k. It can take a 650b wheel without mod (at least for a size large). Or, you can short-shock it (125-130mm)and have an amazing 4x bike that's like a shorter top tube version of the 5010, if you also do the bigger wheels. BB comes in around 13.2in... and it rails on the trail! The rear end is SO stiff it won't matter if it's a narrow 135mm. I mated mine to a shortened Float 36 RC2 (140mm) and use it to rip around Trestle Bike Park's green and blue trails. SO fun!
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Formerly of Kent
    Just bought a 2013 Tallboy LTC on Steep and Cheap. Pretty awesome deal, 45% off MSRP with a CTD. Going to built it up with an AngleSet, 130mm fork, ENVE XC wheels (I'm 145lbs) and XX1 with XT brakes.

Unfortunately, the bride-to-be and I live in a lovely little cottage. Emphasis on little; it seems very likely that I will have to part with one of my bikes. Will almost certainly have to unload my 2013 Blur LTC (S) with the same build as above. I don't ride it much, so it won't be a huge loss, but still. Damn.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Just bought a 2013 Tallboy LTC on Steep and Cheap. Pretty awesome deal, 45% off MSRP with a CTD. Going to built it up with an AngleSet, 130mm fork, ENVE XC wheels (I'm 145lbs) and XX1 with XT brakes.

Unfortunately, the bride-to-be and I live in a lovely little cottage. Emphasis on little; it seems very likely that I will have to part with one of my bikes. Will almost certainly have to unload my 2013 Blur LTC (S) with the same build as above. I don't ride it much, so it won't be a huge loss, but still. Damn.
    Put a 140 or 150 fork on it and you won't need the angle set.

Formerly of Kent
    Trying to keep the bike light and fast, yet stable on the downs. Like I said, I'm a lighter guy, and I've always been able to get away with less travel than most. And, 140/150 on a 29er would be too much travel, and too much bike for 99% of the riding I'll ever do.

This is going to be a long travel XC, light AM build. A do everything bike to complement my 18lb 29er HT race rocket.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Trying to keep the bike light and fast, yet stable on the downs. Like I said, I'm a lighter guy, and I've always been able to get away with less travel than most. And, 140/150 on a 29er would be too much travel, and too much bike for 99% of the riding I'll ever do.

This is going to be a long travel XC, light AM build. A do everything bike to complement my 18lb 29er HT race rocket.
    Go with a 140mm Pike.

Trust me, it will be perfect for both the up and down lollipop loop and Good Luck at Hardy Road.

Anything shorter than the 140mm and the front end gets too steep. More travel will be mismatch for the rear end. The 140mm still lets you hammer the bike out of the saddle and corner like a xc bike, but still descends like a good trail bike.

Formerly of Kent

Well, I just picked this up:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep on Rockin...
    Nice. What specific fork is that?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    A few more shots before hitting Northstar last weekend. The Status belongs to my buddy, it was Brad Benedict's Sea Otter bike a few years back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-img_20140810_112055.jpg  

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-img_20140810_112850.jpg  

Formerly of Kent

Nice. What specific fork is that?
    DT Swiss XMM "120" OPM 29er. Has over 130mm of travel. Like 133mm.

Been very impressed with the EXM 150 on my Blur LTC. Hope that continues with this one.

Keep on Rockin...
    Forgive the slight derailment, but I've noticed there are some pretty knowledgeable riders on this thread, and I've got a quick question...

I need a 10 speed chain fast and the LBS only has a Wipperman Connex 10sG in stock, for a good price.

I'm running full XT and have never deviated from using only Shimano chains with my Shimano drivetrains.

Any potential loss of shifting performance with this chain?

mtbr member

Forgive the slight derailment, but I've noticed there are some pretty knowledgeable riders on this thread, and I've got a quick question...

I need a 10 speed chain fast and the LBS only has a Wipperman Connex 10sG in stock, for a good price.

I'm running full XT and have never deviated from using only Shimano chains with my Shimano drivetrains.

Kinda related to your derail, but I've had better shifting out of a road DA 7900 chain than the XTR one. Might want to see if they have an Ultrega one. I'm thinking it might do better than the XT. And yes, the Shitmano 10 SPD chain is asymmetrical with inside and outside specific sides. That said, I did use a cheap $10 Cutter chain and didn't notice much of a performance loss. But YMMV... no exp with a Wipperman chain.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Formerly of Kent

Wipperman: 5.9mm, Shimano: 6.1mm. It'll work, but the quick link is direction sensitive, if my memory serves me.

mtbr member

I've used the stock shimano chain and KMC chains on my full XTR 10-speed drivetrain. No detectable difference.

In the past (8 & 9-speed) I always preferred Sachs/SRAM or KMC to shimano chains. With my current XTR bike I found the shimano to be fine, and the KMC just as good.
    --Reamer

SC Tallboy LTc
    Ventana ECDM 26
    ventana el Ciclon
    Litespeed Classic
    Seven Ti Axion Tandem
    1989 Stumpjumper