Page 11 of 101 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast
    GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    I'm running the light-bicycle.com wide carbon rims with Chris King hubs and Bontrager Rhythm Strip tubeless setup, and I couldn't be happier with them. Incredible bang for the buck. Their prebuilt wheel sets are also an absolute steal at ~$550. I had Mike C. build my wheels.
    Just saw my friend crack one of those rims at this past weekend's Master the Mass enduro race. I'll be sticking to name brand carbon if I go that route....
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    Just saw my friend crack one of those rims at this past weekend's Master the Mass enduro race. I'll be sticking to name brand carbon if I go that route....
    I couldn't afford the indestructable carbon rims.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    I couldn't afford the indestructable carbon rims.
    I think they'll be fine for a "light" set, but I'd have a beater set to go to for rough and rocky rides. His wheels did feel really good.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryn View Post

Wanted the matt carbon finish but was told availability is out into September so I went with yellow. Due August 10. Still quite a wait but at least I'll be riding before the snow flies in the high mountains.
    I've had a matt finish frame on order for awhile and they keep dragging it out. Not really going to wait much longer and wait to see what the other companies are going to come up with for next year. I was hoping to be a SC fan boy but we will see what happens.

mtbr member
    I too have a matte frame on order, its been a week to week experience so far. No one seems to know when they are getting them in. Luckily I have a Banshee Prime Prototype to keep my company while I wait, otherwise I'd have a really hard time wasting ride time waiting on a frame without a solid delivery date.

mtbr member
    I've gotten a few more rides in on the LTc.

Awesome bike. And I don't even used the term "awesome." But it fits.
    Tight descending singletrack is pure bliss on the thing. Climbing is easy enough. The bike is never in the way, the ride is always smooth. Fantastic!

anyone recognize the location?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-2012-07-05-13-30-29.jpg  

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-2012-07-05-14-14-59.jpg  

mtbr member
    I ordered the TBLTc over the weekend with SPXAM kit, +k/trail adjust shock and Fox 34 Float.

Wanted the matt carbon finish but was told availability is out into September so I went with yellow. Due August 10. Still quite a wait but at least I'll be riding before the snow flies in the high mountains.

I'm considering getting a lighter XC wheel/tire set for weekday rides which are mostly cross country and keeping the stock i23/Ardents for mountain rides. As an FYI I weigh about 170 kitted up and I am light on wheels (I'm still riding a 13 year old wheelset of Hope/DT Revolution/Mavic X317 rims on the terrain that I will subject the Ardents too) and our trails are mostly dry, dusty and rocky.

The other option is to sell the stock wheels and build up a do it all wheelset with Chinese carbon hoops.

Anyone done this? What wheels did you get?
    I also have light bicycle carbon rims mated with i9 hubs and spokes. I ride a very rocky technical terrain and the wheels are holding fine so far.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post
    anyone recognize the location?
    Buff Creek?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Can someone tell me about the diff in lateral stiffness between the LT and LTc? Is it a large diff? I am a bigger guy at 6'6" and 225 and tend to flex bikes pretty heavily. I spent a couple of days on a TBc before I got my RDO and felt it was adequately stiff but the bike ho in me is tempted by the LT. Let me know. Thanks

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Love my LTc on bike park tracks!
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/45875900?api=1&amp;player_id=vimeoplayer" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    Love my LTc on bike park tracks!
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/45875900?api=1&amp;player_id=vimeoplayer" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
    Is your boy okay? Knocked the wind out?

So is Valhalla the only flow trail at 'Mass? It looked like fun tho! I see what you mean about lippy kickers. How many trails did GL make at 'Mass...trying to find a place to visit when Trestle is buried w/ people during one of their festivals.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Is your boy okay? Knocked the wind out?

So is Valhalla the only flow trail at 'Mass? It looked like fun tho! I see what you mean about lippy kickers. How many trails did GL make at 'Mass...trying to find a place to visit when Trestle is buried w/ people during one of their festivals.
    Yes, he's still limping, but okay.

I think this is the only "flow" trail at Snowmass. I raced there last weekend and didn't get to check out much other than the courses. There were some other killer descents though!
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Can anyone tell me what type of mounting hardware the RP23 comes with on the Tallboy LTC...
    i am aware that its m8x22mm...but am wondering if it comes with the cheap 2 piece style or if it comes with a good 3 piece or their new 5 piece that eliminates the DU bushing.
    thanks

mtbr member
    man that trail looks like fun. i would have no hesitation taking my Blur LTc on that, or even renting a DH bike for it. wish i lived in CO......

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    Quote Originally Posted by murrdogg11 View Post
    Can anyone tell me what type of mounting hardware the RP23 comes with on the Tallboy LTC...
    i am aware that its m8x22mm...but am wondering if it comes with the cheap 2 piece style or if it comes with a good 3 piece or their new 5 piece that eliminates the DU bushing.
    thanks
    As an FYI the 2013 bikes don't come with the RP23 anymore. They come with the CTD shock and if you want the Kashima coating and three position trail adjustment it is a $205 increase over the frame/kit prices. This is a bit of an underhanded price increase that kind of urked me.

If you can find a 2012 model you may still get the RP23 but they are probably short in stock now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    As an FYI the 2013 bikes don't come with the RP23 anymore. They come with the CTD shock and if you want the Kashima coating and three position trail adjustment it is a $205 increase over the frame/kit prices. This is a bit of an underhanded price increase that kind of urked me.

If you can find a 2012 model you may still get the RP23 but they are probably short in stock now.
    Where did you hear that? I've had a frame on order for 2 months and if it shows up with a shock that isn't Kashima coated I am going to be really pi$$ed!

Quote Originally Posted by TLD80 View Post
    Where did you hear that? I've had a frame on order for 2 months and if it shows up with a shock that isn't Kashima coated I am going to be really pi$$ed!
    It was when I ordered my TBLTc with SPXAM + Float last weekend. I thought that the CTD shock was just the same as the RP23 I demoed and I was wondering what the +k/trail adjust option was. The dealer confirmed that the standard CTD shock does not have the Kashima coating nor the 3-position adjustment for the trail setting. That is what the $205 option is on the Santa Cruz website.

I agree, if you ordered your bike with the expectation of an RP23 (or atleast the functionality of the shock) then you should expect to get it. I would recommend that you check with your dealer as it sounds like Santa Cruz may be shipping the standard CTD shock now (as this is what is now spec'ed on their website).

Okay I am a little confused here. What is the CTD shock the TBLTc is shipping with?

From Neveo's pictures it looks like the CTD Float with Kashima coating (which is a $375 shock). Then there is a standard CTD Float Evolution which does not have Kashima (which costs $310). Then there is the CTD with trail adjust and boost valve (which is a $440 shock).

So why the hell am I paying a $205 increase for the top spec shock?

mtbr member
    Okay I am a little confused here. What is the CTD shock the TBLTc is shipping with?

From Neveo's pictures it looks like the CTD Float with Kashima coating (which is a $375 shock). Then there is a standard CTD Float Evolution which does not have Kashima (which costs $310). Then there is the CTD with trail adjust and boost valve (which is a $440 shock).

Dunno... But whatever the Fox POS that's coming w/ it, it's getting sold off so I can go X-Fusion coil (on the way now), and I'll pick up a Monarch or Roco air later. Screw Fox!

Edit: CTD = Apple-ized compression tuning! For those who know how to get the best out of low/hi spd compression settings, this dummy-downed pre-sets blows goats! Notice that Marz stuffed their RC3 and went to the Evo...best move ever!
    Last edited by Pau11y; 07-17-2012 at 11:34 AM.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

aka bOb
    I just called Competitive Cycles and they said their LTC frame will be shipping with the rp23 Kashima Shock but he also said their hoping to have them in a week. Well when the smoke clears out of my a$$ we will see what I really get and who really when that will be.
    Last edited by bdundee; 07-17-2012 at 11:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I called Santa Cruz directly and asked them about the frame they are shipping to my LBS and they told me it was coming with the 2012 RP23 with Kashima coat. They said it will ship either today or tomorrow. For now I am relieved but we will see what actually shows up.

mtbr member

my fork came directly from Fox, i believe my rear might have come from them as well. i'll check with my lbs in the morning. in any event im loving the bike and been playing around with the cockpit and the suspension .

Has anyone received the the TBLTc with the new 2013 CTD shocks yet? Any real world experience?

The one review on MTBR states that so far it is better than the RP23 and I was considering pushing to get the PR23 but looking at the reviews for that they seem to indicate that this shock kind of sucks (I thought it was supposed to be good?) So right now I'm wondering what to do because right now I am kind of pissed off at having to pay an extra $205 for the CTD +k w/trail adjust.

Sorry, I have more questions.... I'll stop, honest, once I get my bike!

For the SPXAM kit tubeless 2.25 Ardents are specifified. Maxxis on their site list 3 types of 29er 2.25 Ardents.

29X2.25 ( 54/56-622 ) Black - 60 tpi - WIRE - 830g
    29X2.25 ( 54/56-622 ) Black - 60 tpi - FOLDABLE - 755g
    29X2.25 ( 54/56-622 ) Black - 120 tpi - FOLDABLE - 885g - eXC/LUST/UST

Any idea which one is coming with the bike? As tubless is spec'ed is it the UST version?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Sorry, I have more questions.... I'll stop, honest, once I get my bike!

For the SPXAM kit tubeless 2.25 Ardents are specifified. Maxxis on their site list 3 types of 29er 2.25 Ardents.

29X2.25 ( 54/56-622 ) Black - 60 tpi - WIRE - 830g
    29X2.25 ( 54/56-622 ) Black - 60 tpi - FOLDABLE - 755g
    29X2.25 ( 54/56-622 ) Black - 120 tpi - FOLDABLE - 885g - eXC/LUST/UST

Any idea which one is coming with the bike? As tubless is spec'ed is it the UST version?
    The ones from SCB are Non-UST 60tpi folding (the creeper ones)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sanman View Post
    ...the creeper ones
    Sanman,
    Can you elaborate on this?
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    the 29X2.25 ( 54/56-622 ) Black - 120 tpi - FOLDABLE - 885g - eXC/LUST/UST is a more expensive tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sanman View Post
    the 29X2.25 ( 54/56-622 ) Black - 120 tpi - FOLDABLE - 885g - eXC/LUST/UST is a more expensive tire.
    Ha! So you meant 'cheaper' nor 'creeper'?
    That makes sense.

My LTc amXTR came with non UST tires. I put some stand stems and sealant in and so far so good, but I prefer the durability of 'real' Tubeless tires.

father, mountain biker
    Quote Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post
    So you meant 'cheaper' nor 'creeper' .
    No, I think he meant 'creeper'. Just wait a few minutes, it'll hit you.
    "He seems quite arrogant and ignores quite some valid points." -Millfox
    "I don't like you" -ne_dan

Creeper. I still don't get it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    For those wanting the XXL, the geo numbers are up on the website . . . . and word from SC is that the XXLs will start shipping by Interbike

I emailed Santa Cruz about the rear shock and what exact version of the CTD they will be shipping and the price difference between at the top flight model.

I won't copy their reply but the gist was:

They are shipping the RP23 for now but real soon they will be switching over to the CTD shock. You can only find out about which stock you will get by talking to your dealer and finding out where in the queue you are, When they do switch it will be for the CTD Evolution model. That is the base model with no kashima coating and no travel adjust.

Why the $205 difference between this and the top shock? Well they buy the CTD Evolution at OEM prices so this is cheaper than the "retail". They claim that the upgraded Kashima + trail adjust shock does not get the bulk pricing so that is why the gap between the stock shock and the option shock is so much greater than what the retail prices indicate.

Personally I say BS to all that. It doesn't help that magazines have only recently been coming out with reviews on the TBLTc and have been basing them on a full fox kit with RP23 and an indicative price range of $4300-5400. Well sorry but as my order of $5904 for the SPXAM kit goes to prove there is a whole extra hard-tail's worth of money between the "reviews" and the reality.

Perhaps I'm a fool as I am still getting the bike, but I am a little po'd. Still if someone else comes out with a decent carbon 650b trail bike between now and August (I'm looking at Intense here) I may just dump my order and go custom as I am already spending more than I thought I would.
    Last edited by TheNormsk; 07-19-2012 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Typos

b a n n e d
    Agreed. It'd be nice if they offered a frame only (sans shock) kit so I can just buy what I want.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    I just got an email from Speedgoat telling me that the matte frame that I ordered about a month ago has now been delayed until September at the earliest. Yellow frames should be available mid-August. It has got me reconsidering the Turner Sultan.

WWJR
    I emailed Santa Cruz about the rear shock and what exact version of the CTD they will be shipping the price difference between at the top flight model.

I won't copy their reply but the gist was:

The are shipping the RP23 for now but real soon they will be switching over to the CTD shock. You can only find out about which stock you will get by talking to your dealer and finding out where in the queue you are, When they do switch it will be for the CTD Evolution model. That is the base model with no kashima coating.

Why the $205 difference? Well they buy the CTD Evolution at OEM prices so this is cheaper than the "retail". They claim that the upgraded Kashima + trail adjust shock does not get the bulk pricing so that is why the gap between the stock shock and the option is so much greater than what the retail prices indicate.

Personally I say BS to all that. It doesn't help that magazines have only recently been coming out with reviews on the TBLTc and have been basing them on a full fox kit with RP23 and an indicative price range of $4300-5400. Well sorry but as my order of $5904 for the SPXAM kit goes to prove there is a whole extra hard-tail's worth of money between the "reviews" and the reality.

Perhaps I'm a fool as I am still getting the bike, but I am a little po'd. Still if someone else comes out with a decent carbon 650b trail bike between now and August (I'm looking at Intense here) I may just dump my order and go custom as I am already spending more than I thought I would.
    Im seeing nothing but CTD Floats w/ Kashima on all the TBLTc's...?....?.....
    What are the changes vs what is being shipped on the Tallboy's "now"? Heres what I read...

Fox Racing Shox 2013
    Posted by mtbleaks on December 15, 2011
    Here are some snaps of the Fox Racing Shox 2013 line.

Notable changes include:

new 32 series lower legs
    new 34 chassis for 26″, 150-160 mm with QR 15 mm
    34 series Talas and Float forks with 160 mm travel
    new CTD damper (climb-trail-descend) for 32 and 34 series
    36 Talas 160 and Float 160 get back the inverted RC2 damper instead of RLC
    27.5″ – 650B fork rumored for 2015!
    CTD shock line
    some new remote options for forks and shocks
    The rear shocks also get some BNG - Bold New Graphics and different damping systems. RP23 is gone, meet the new Float CTD. 2013 shocks also feature Igus bushings, different air canisters and revised IFP settings.And there’s one more thing, the new 2013 Fox DOSS (Drop on Steep **** Stuff) seatpost.
    -Santa Cruz TBLTc
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down... all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Well this is a snippet of the email I got from Santa Cruz.

"In the "2013" specs there are 2 shock options for the Tallboy-LTc.
    The base Float CTD model (No Kashima) and the CTD-K upgrade option (Kashima,
    Trail Adjust, Boost Valve).
    You can compare the two on the Fox page right here -
    Bike FLOAT Shocks | FOX
    The base Float CTD model is at the bottom of the spec list, our CTD-K
    upgrade option is at the top."

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    I just got an email from Speedgoat telling me that the matte frame that I ordered about a month ago has now been delayed until September at the earliest. Yellow frames should be available mid-August. It has got me reconsidering the Turner Sultan.
    I hear ya! At least they are being honest not that it helps at all. I ordered through Competitive Cycles and they just keep telling me what I want to hear (I'm guessing anyways). It's getting so late I might hold off to see more new model for 2013.

WWJR

Bike FLOAT Shocks | FOX
    I guess that changed when the site upgraded.?.?. But I think when SB 1st released the TBLTc, there was only one shock with the build...FLoat CTD w/ K...
    Sucks for those of you who now have to pay the upcharge for the K coating...
    Last edited by IH8MUD; 07-20-2012 at 06:20 AM.
    -Santa Cruz TBLTc
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down... all for the sake of a race on the internet.

b a n n e d

Bike FLOAT Shocks | FOX
    They should have added "Fox will only charge you about $130 for the upgrade, but we're going to charge you $205."

I know I keep going on about this, but I think its poor business practice and basically ridiculous.

Okay, I'm done ranting about this now.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Waited 110 days, but I got my frame yesterday.

Surely that's the record .

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by markymark View Post
    Waited 110 days, but I got my frame yesterday.

Surely that's the record .
    Congrats!! Wish I had patients like that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Congrats!! Wish I had patients like that.
    I'm at 77 days, still patiently waiting. The positive reviews have kept me optimistic, but the "10 more days" explanation is getting old.

mtbr member
    Just got an email from Speedgoat saying that my frame was 1 of 2 that showed up today and will be shipping out to me today Good luck to everyone else waiting

mtbr member
    Anybody get an LTa recently? I ordered one with the R kit. Shop says it ought to be in late next week. You think it'll have the CTD or the RP23?

What about the front fork? Santa Cruz used to spec the Revelation, but now it shows the Sektor on the website. How does the Sektor compare to the Revelation?

mtbr member
    FWIW, I called Competitive Cyclist today and they said "frame only LTc orders will get the CTD shock w/Kashima coating". Still claiming 8/1 for them to receive i think. The 2013 Talas 34 (2012s are ready to go) is BO w/8/1 date also. Makes me wonder if the delay is Fox related...

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by rx4mtb View Post
    FWIW, I called Competitive Cyclist today and they said "frame only LTc orders will get the CTD shock w/Kashima coating". Still claiming 8/1 for them to receive i think. The 2013 Talas 34 (2012s are ready to go) is BO w/8/1 date also. Makes me wonder if the delay is Fox related...
    That's funny the other day they told me rp23.

mtbr member
    ...while they last, I guess.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by hullendersauce View Post
    But I think when SB 1st released the TBLTc, there was only one shock with the build...FLoat CTD w/ K...
    Nope, when the TBLTc came out the shock was RP23 Boost Valve, M tune with K coating.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Just got back from a road trip to the Kettle Crest area of Eastern Washington. Fantastic riding there. Went last year and there is a good chance we'll be back next too.

A few more changes:
    Got the Reverb post installed
    Got the Rocket SLT saddle installed
    Installed an old Profile Design cage on the downtube for carrying a bottle of Gatorade
    Changed the grips to ODI Rogue as I found the stock Peaty grips to thin for me.

Oh ya, I changed back to the Ardents for the trip. They worked fine for the dry conditions on that side of the mountains. They are coming back off though, will put the Purgatory back on and keep the Ardents for dry road trips.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH View Post
    Nope, when the TBLTc came out the shock was RP23 Boost Valve, M tune with K coating.
    That's what came on mine
    --Reamer