Page 100 of 100 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100
Results 4,951 to 4,961 of 4961
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Breaktheory View Post
    Wheelset upgrade - I have the basic stock wheels that came w the bike - what would a good sub $1000 wheelset upgrade be? Any thoughts on carbon - this is for my 2014 xt
    Look into light-bicycle carbon rims on Hope hubs. Should come in around or below 1K. Fantastic wheels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Light bicycle carbon on the best hubs you can afford.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    I keep on hearing this said but I just don't believe it. Perhaps when you're still young you may get stronger but some of us are getting to the wrong side of our mid life crisis. No matter how much I try, I don't get stronger - my lungs run out of oxygen, my legs hurt and I get off an walk....
    Well, it is a true statement and to be honest I'm probably right behind you in age being in my early 40's. There are several factors, how much are you riding? Nutrition? Have you tried using Creatine? I know it is usually associated with bodybuilding but it does work for muscle endurance and strength building and let's be honest that after soreness we get at our age, creatine takes care of that. I can tell when I have been off creatine for a couple weeks because soreness really hits home, when I'm using creatine I never get sore and I can go and go. I recommend creature by beast sports because it is a blend. I'll be honest its not a drug, if it was, it would not be available on amazon or in Vitamine shopp so with that it takes a good 3 weeks before you will notice good results, i.e., increased strength, faster recovery, no more soreness,etc.

My increased strength in my riding has come from using the 1X though, it has challenged me and I have grown into it and I love the simplicity and weight savings. There has only been one time that I wished I had the new eagle 1x system. Done some riding in NM area, MI area, and now Tenn area and the 1x has served well. I suspect if I went with a single speed I would become an even better, faster, and stronger rider. I don't plan on that though, all I'm saying is 1x does challenge you mentally and physically and will grow from it and never miss 2 or 3x's.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    Well, it is a true statement and to be honest I'm probably right behind you in age being in my early 40's. There are several factors, how much are you riding? Nutrition? Have you tried using Creatine? I know it is usually associated with bodybuilding but it does work for muscle endurance and strength building and let's be honest that after soreness we get at our age, creatine takes care of that. I can tell when I have been off creatine for a couple weeks because soreness really hits home, when I'm using creatine I never get sore and I can go and go. I recommend creature by beast sports because it is a blend. I'll be honest its not a drug, if it was, it would not be available on amazon or in Vitamine shopp so with that it takes a good 3 weeks before you will notice good results, i.e., increased strength, faster recovery, no more soreness,etc.

My increased strength in my riding has come from using the 1X though, it has challenged me and I have grown into it and I love the simplicity and weight savings. There has only been one time that I wished I had the new eagle 1x system. Done some riding in NM area, MI area, and now Tenn area and the 1x has served well. I suspect if I went with a single speed I would become an even better, faster, and stronger rider. I don't plan on that though, all I'm saying is 1x does challenge you mentally and physically and will grow from it and never miss 2 or 3x's.
    Frequency of rides is key. It's hard to make the jump doing 3-4 rides a month, but once you get to 2-3x a week, it happens fast and is great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    I keep on hearing this said but I just don't believe it. Perhaps when you're still young you may get stronger but some of us are getting to the wrong side of our mid life crisis. No matter how much I try, I don't get stronger - my lungs run out of oxygen, my legs hurt and I get off an walk...

I recently upgraded the chain set, a 175mm 22(I geared down from 24)-32-42 M785, on my '13 spec LTc and I replaced it with 170mm 22-30-40 M780. For me at least, I love this combination. Even though I'm near 6ft tall, I find the shorter cranks with the smaller chain rings allow me to spin that much better and keep going on the steep stuff.

If I wasn't in Colorado perhaps I may change to 1x, however around here there seems to be three types of riding:
    1) Grunt climbing, best done in the 22
    2) Descending, great in the 40 (even if not going that fast on technical descents) as the high gear gives plenty of torque/slower cadence to remain in control
    3) for everything else (which is not much ) the 30.

Of course, ymmv and this is a very personal, location specific thing.
    K,
    A 22 frt / 36 rear ratio is 0.611.
    A 26 frt / 44 rear ratio is 0.591.

And, the diff between 175 and 170...
    1-170/175 = a bit less than 3%

Now, just think about dropping 1.5 lbs off your bike by going to 1x...albeit, it'll also lighten up your bank account a bit too

And no, 1x DOESN'T make you stronger...see above math. BUT, it does teach you to carry your momentum, since your front ring is so small. I typically spin out the gears at ~24mph w/ the 26/10 of the 1X Sram setup. But, at 24 mph, I'm not pedaling on singletracks anymore!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    K,
    A 22 frt / 36 rear ratio is 0.611.
    A 26 frt / 44 rear ratio is 0.591.

And, the diff between 175 and 170...
    1-170/175 = a bit less than 3%

Now, just think about dropping 1.5 lbs off your bike by going to 1x...albeit, it'll also lighten up your bank account a bit too

And no, 1x DOESN'T make you stronger...see above math. BUT, it does teach you to carry your momentum, since your front ring is so small. I typically spin out the gears at ~24mph w/ the 26/10 of the 1X Sram setup. But, at 24 mph, I'm not pedaling on singletracks anymore!
    It doesn't make you stronger if you select a ratio that optimizes the low gearing and not the high. If you split the difference, you'll have to adjust a bit. (I tend to optimize the low gear, which is why I upgraded from 1x10 to 1x11 as soon as I could afford it.)

Bodhisattva
    interesting topic to stumble across. I'm 47, have been riding hard since age 20, have taken my hiatuses due to life, kids, injuries, etc , but still maintain a strong level of fitness and commonly ride with guys younger.

1x isn't going to make one stronger. Unless one is forcing oneself to ride in stronger gears, which can be accomplished with any drivetrain

Fact: it's hard to build muscle in your 40s, and nearly impossible once you hit 50. you can maintain muscle, but building - without use of hormonal aids - is very difficult. I do believe it helps to be on a regular riding program, to cross-train when possible, to not become a complete slug during winter, take your rest days to avoid overtraining (which happens more easily these days) and to eat healthy. But there's no way to beat father time.

I'm also of the belief that crank arm lengths and gear ratios are a matter of personal preference and terrain.

I ride 175 cranks on my LTx, 165 on my Nomad, and have no problems jumping back n' forth.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    What's wrong with 2x? If you like it, use it! I have 2x10 M780 on my TBLTc and it's great. Heck, I have 3x XT M770 on my Maverick Durance and old Klein Palomino and I have no intention of replacing them anytime soon. If and when I get around to building up another bike maybe I'll go with 1x12, but for the type of riding I do (I'm no pro) 2x10 is just fine.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sikkfreerider View Post
    Has anyone tried the XT M8000 1x11 on their tblt? I'm so close to just ordering it. I think Ill go 32t up front, that should go low enough for me.

Also the reverb is giving me troubles after its 4th rebuild. I'm going to cut a stealth routing hole and get the grommet from Santacruz. My dad has had good luck with his KS Lev. I'm just so tired of dealing with hydraulic fluid bleeding the reverb and rebuilding all the damn time.
    Hey SikkFR-
    Sorry to wake up an old post, but can you describe exactly where you cut the stealth routing hole? I'm about to do the same thing, but am torn if I should go a little above or below the front derailleur. (I'm running 2x10)
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwa72 View Post
    What's wrong with 2x? If you like it, use it! I have 2x10 M780 on my TBLTc and it's great. Heck, I have 3x XT M770 on my Maverick Durance and old Klein Palomino and I have no intention of replacing them anytime soon. If and when I get around to building up another bike maybe I'll go with 1x12, but for the type of riding I do (I'm no pro) 2x10 is just fine.

I agree with all of this. There is nothing wrong with 2x. I love my 2x system for long days in saddle. A few weeks ago I rode my TBLTc for 2 days with 2x and demoed a Bronson 2 with 1x11. I will say the last few uphills with the 1x became a chore. Eagle definitely solves any 1x argument really IMO, I personally will have it on my next bike, but I'm definitely not going to replace my 2x system on my current bikes.

Ride what you got and have fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwa72 View Post

For me, the reason was that front derailleurs are terrible. There are always compromises in their adjustment, and they are way more likely result in a failed shift (and potential chain drop) than the rear, especially in rough terrain. I figured I might be able to get by without one, and that ended up being true. On a bike where I'm doing less frantic gear changes on milder terrain, the flexibility of 2x is great.