Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
Results 901 to 1,000 of 5092
    Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    The Ikons I have are the EXO ones as i wanted the extra sidewall protection for tubeless and rocky terrain.

I tried mounting with my hand pump but no dice. I then tried with my compressor and also no dice. Still I wasn't trying with soapy water.

I then put the tube in so that the tire can get to shape. While pumping it made loud pops as the bead seated in the i23 rim. The bead on the i23 rim really locks the tire to the rim but the initial seating takes some effort. At the weekend I'll try again mountain tubeless with soapy water. I thing the trick is to get that initial pop as the bead seats then it should hold fine.

I'll let you know how it goes.

mtbr member
    just put a deposit down on a shop in SoCal that had a large yellow SPX AM build kit in. Will be making the drive and picking it up in a few weeks.

I was really on the fence and back and forth between this bike and the Intense Carbine 275. In the end it came down to price, I got a great deal on a 2012 and am pretty stoked.

I was honestly surprised by the inclusion of the SLX cassette and shifters on the SPXAM build kit, kinda sly on a $5299 bike so I am going to swap those out for XT.

Also gonna go with a reverb seatpost, XTR shadow RD and haven carbon bar. Apart from that just plan on riding the piss out of it.

Any experience with the Rock Shox Revelation? That is what this build kit comes with and the reviews I have read all seem favorable. Pretty well versed on the Float and Talas, but not so much on the Revelation.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cult Hero View Post
    just put a deposit down on a shop in SoCal that had a large yellow SPX AM build kit in. Will be making the drive and picking it up in a few weeks.

I was really on the fence and back and forth between this bike and the Intense Carbine 275. In the end it came down to price, I got a great deal on a 2012 and am pretty stoked.

I was honestly surprised by the inclusion of the SLX cassette and shifters on the SPXAM build kit, kinda sly on a $5299 bike so I am going to swap those out for XT.

Also gonna go with a reverb seatpost, XTR shadow RD and haven carbon bar. Apart from that just plan on riding the piss out of it.

Any experience with the Rock Shox Revelation? That is what this build kit comes with and the reviews I have read all seem favorable. Pretty well versed on the Float and Talas, but not so much on the Revelation.

Cheers
    Are you sure they didn't F with you? I've ended up with a TBc, but when the LT was first announced and put on SC's website I spent hours looking at the kits, deciding what to do, the SPX kit has always been all XT as far as I can remember.

Sounds like you bought an Ram29 kit.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

I agree with TwoTone. You should not have an SLX cassette or shifters. The SPXAm kit has always had an XT cassette and shifters. This could be the shop swapping out these components slyly in order to give more "deal".

Now that's not to say Santa Cruz themselves don't do shitty things to "save money" (ahem, should that not be to make more money?)... In my email to them on the lack of Ti rails on their susposedly Volt saddle I got this response.

" Sorry if there was any confusion about the saddle. I think that we order that stuff specific and stayed away from the Ti rails to help keep the cost down. A lot of OEM stuff is pretty specific. Just like our black Fox forks... if you buy the same fork through Fox, it’s white."

Now I can expect some customization of OEM stuff to match the bike, such as paint colors or saddle covers, but if the retail saddle has Ti rails, would you not expect the OEM one to have Ti rails as well?

Anyway, saddles are a very personal thing and most will probably get swapped out anyway so it is not something to get worked up over, but still it is annoying and it makes you wonder what other shortcuts have been taken to "save money".

Speaking of annoying things. I took my bike back to the shop yesterday to get the stem swapped out and the steerer cut. Upon ordering the bike I had clearly voiced concern about knowing what size stem to order (as the build kit states 60, 70, or 80mm). I was told explicitly that it did not matter as they had all the stems in stock and the stem size can be selected upon my final "fitting".

My bike came with a 60mm stem. I want to change it out to the 70mm having now ridden it a bit. The shop now tells me that they don't have all the stems and that Santa Cruz ships the bike with only one stem depending on the frame size. For my large it ships with the 60mm. They would swap it out for a Truvati Stylo stem of 75mm but I feel this is a downgrade and not what I want. They offered a Thomson X4 for retail cost different between $100 (Thomson) and $35 (Truvati AKA - which online is $40) so the cost different is $65. I've said no to both. I don't want the Thomson - too many stories of the plates in this breaking.

I've decided on a Syntace Megaforce 2 stem in 70mm length. I b*tched at the shop about this whole thing and so I am waiting to see what price they will do the stem for, before I order it online for less than retail.

mtbr member
    Just called shop and it is full XT. Brakes, shifters etc etc. only diff is the revelation fork. Guess I was confused

mtbr member
    Is anyone running a flat bar at all?

The Haven on my SPXam build us almost flat. Why'd you ask?

mtbr member
    I am thinking of trying one out to see if it feels much different from the haven when I get my bike next week. When I had a demo bike on loan for several days I played around with the setup a bit and felt most comfortable with no spacers below the stem which was the 70mm one. I'm only 5' 9 but don't like a too upright position am just curious about other peoples setups.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by fakemind View Post
    Is anyone running a flat bar at all?
    I had a Haven on my LTc when I built it for about 5 min took it off and put a flat bar on. Two weeks later the Haven is back on and loving it. I'm 5'9" and on a med.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fakemind View Post
    ...Do you find the Ikons roll very fast?
    I've been running Kenda SB8s on my previous bike and haven't notice any slow down with these.

What wheels will you be using?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I had a Haven on my LTc when I built it for about 5 min took it off and put a flat bar on. Two weeks later the Haven is back on and loving it. I'm 5'9" and on a med.
    Thanks for that as we seem to be around the same size. What's length stem did you end up with?

Quote Originally Posted by rx4mtb View Post
    I've been running Kenda SB8s on my previous bike and haven't notice any slow down with these.

What wheels will you be using?
    I'll be rolling on some nice enve all mtn's laced to dt240s but unfortunately they won't arrive until october so my lbs has generously offered me a loaner set of wheels to use until they come in. Btw, my tires just arrived. I'll have to see if I decide to mount them up or just use whichever ones the shop wheels are mounted with. Can't wait till next week!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Well, just ordered up a xl LTc frame in yellow. Waited all summer for this decision, but now NV rep said it wont get here til late september.....ugggh! Ive waited this long, whats another month. It will give me time to shop for a drive train at Interbike.

Ive been looking into a rear tire....Wanted a Kenda small block 8, but just realized they only come in a 2.1 Anyone got a super awesome rear tire that they are running tubeless in the 2.3-2.4 range?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    to add to the last post, i live in Tahoe and all trails are dusty and loose now. dont want to be sliding around and want some good hook up on the rear tire

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hrindo View Post
    to add to the last post, i live in Tahoe and all trails are dusty and loose now. dont want to be sliding around and want some good hook up on the rear tire
    Hans Dampf in 2.35! I am running them front and rear with the Trail Star compound and they are amazing. The grip in all different types of conditions is off the charts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have a Havoc Carbon, 50mm Thomson Stem and no spacer below it. I'm 5'5" on a Medium. Just as good as my old small Nomad.

Sylvain

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TLD80 View Post
    Hans Dampf in 2.35! I am running them front and rear with the Trail Star compound and they are amazing. The grip in all different types of conditions is off the charts.
    I second this. Massive traction in all of the conditions I tried. If you want to stay Schwalbe front and rear, take a look at the Racing Ralph in the back. Specialized Captain is also a good choice.

banned
    Oct 2004
    On a 26, this tire w/ Black Chili is stellar! I have no idea what it's like on a 29er. But if the traction is amplified by the larger diameter wheel, this tire should be insane! However, it has a HUGE profile and is a friggin' PIG...1100g/ea
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-conti-tk-2.4-tb.jpg  

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-conti-tk-weight.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Well, just ordered up a xl LTc frame in yellow. Waited all summer for this decision, but now NV rep said it wont get here til late september.....ugggh! Ive waited this long, whats another month. It will give me time to shop for a drive train at Interbike.

Ive been looking into a rear tire....Wanted a Kenda small block 8, but just realized they only come in a 2.1 Anyone got a super awesome rear tire that they are running tubeless in the 2.3-2.4 range?
    I mounted 2.4 Racing Ralphs on my LTa. They are noticeably bigger than the 2.25 Ardents that came with it. There seems to be some trade off in traction in certain situations - I feel the ardents were better on rock face, but the ralphs hook up better in semi-loose over hardpack and hardpack trail. The ralphs are lighter - although, for all the talk of rotational weight being most noticeable, I can't honestly say I noticed that much of a difference.

mtbr member

Lovin' it!

After riding it hard for the past month and a half, I cannot say enough great things about his bike. Love it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-img_7639small.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    SOOO. Who has seen the new Intense spider carbon 29er. Anyone think this thing will be better at things than our beloved Tallboy LTC. It has a slacker head angle by 2 degrees with a 140mm fork, which leads me to think it must be better on the decents. Well I still love my LTC and will not get rid of it considering how well it does ant EVERYTHING.

I think the new Spider is a nicer looking bike that the TBLTc and the fact that you can add a bottle mount is a plus.

It may have a slacker headtube but I did not find my rig lacking when I took it down a 100 ft rocky descent with an average 20% grade so I don't think the TBLTc need be worried.

Consequently the TBLTc may handle better for aggressive XC and train riding because of its steeper (but still relatively slack) geo.

As I ride my bike more I am finding it a truly awesome aggressive cross county machine. Tonight I beat by own Strava KOM on one flowing segment. The bike flowed tight single track which flowed up and down and round the side of a hill for a mile at speeds between 18 and 28mph. The bike tracked true to where I pointed it, the wheels absorbed the numerous rocks ready to catch you off guard without a fuss and it was easy to put the power down when needed to keep momentum up over the next climb.

I'm sure the Intense will be good but I have no regrets about buying my TBLTc. I'm currently loving it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ski1970 View Post
    SOOO. Who has seen the new Intense spider carbon 29er. Anyone think this thing will be better at things than our beloved Tallboy LTC. It has a slacker head angle by 2 degrees with a 140mm fork, which leads me to think it must be better on the decents. Well I still love my LTC and will not get rid of it considering how well it does ant EVERYTHING.
    There is always something better. But as my man ICE-T said, "Don't let the things you want take you away from what you have."

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Tallboy LTc XTR kit from SCruz

I am planning on ordering a TB LT c and was considering one of the santa cruz kits. The xtr am kit has a front hub I've never heard of...(e13xcx). Does anyone have any experience with it?
    santa cruz tall boy xtr am 29 kit lists these wheels: WTB Frequency Team i23 TCS rims laced to E13 XCX front hub and DT 240S rear hub w/ DT 14/15 spokes...
    Does anyone have experience with the e13 xcx hubs? The SPX (XT) AM lists: WTB Frequency Team i23 TCS rims laced to DT 350 hubs w/ DT 14/15 spokes, alloy nipples "

I don't know anyone who has used them? Anyone out there have a comment

WWJR

XT kit + XTR brakes + sick wheelset!

IMHO, unless you have a lot of $ or you are a weight weenie racer type, then pass on the XTR kit. the XT kit is everything you need! Plus, the differences are minimal in "weight vs replacement cost" after you break sumthn. Well... except for the XTR brakes. Get those for sure. But they shouldnt cost you more than a $200 upcharge for the swap by your LBS.
    ISave yourself a little $ and upgrade where it counts. ie: wheelset, brakes, gearing, etc... I think youll be much happier! Just my 2c
    Last edited by IH8MUD; 08-26-2012 at 01:11 PM.
    -Santa Cruz TBLTc
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down... all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I agree that the standard upgrade price to xtr is a little steep. My main question was about the wheels...the xtr kit price includes some nice parts and I can get a pretty good deal on it...so it is not a big stretch for me. Are these great wheels or not?? thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    The end of May?! of 2013?
    I thought the end of October was bad.

My take is for the cost difference to XTR over the SPX build you would do better getting the SPX kit and then selling the wheels to put on a nice carbon set, like the Reynold MT29 wheels.

I think wheels make a bigger difference on this bike than the components.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    what tires and wheels are you using on your tb ltc? Are carbon rims durable enough for someone who is not sponsored?

mtbr member
    I ordered the SPX build and like Kerryn said, changed out the wheels. My lbs took 1k off for them (WTB) as they said they could easily sell them and they are pretty solid, nice wheels, and took that amount of a set of carbon enve all mtns. I don't mind paying one grand less for these and am pretty confident they will transform this bike to make it even better.

WWJR
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebike View Post
    I agree that the standard upgrade price to xtr is a little steep. My main question was about the wheels...the xtr kit price includes some nice parts and I can get a pretty good deal on it...so it is not a big stretch for me. Are these great wheels or not?? thanks
    those DT hubs are nice, but theres better. Ive also heard from a few on here that the WTB wheels are pretty stiff and ride well. I know that combination isnt the lightest in the world. I think it might be a good starting platform, but if you can upgrade from the get-go, make it happen.
    -Santa Cruz TBLTc
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down... all for the sake of a race on the internet.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Just finished the build. Bathroom scale method says 28.5 lbs and that's w/ those 1100g/ea tires. I'm thinking I can drop at least another 1.5 or 2 lbs by going to lighter rubber...

Photos to come...tomorrow, after the lifts at Trestle close

Edit: say, anyone know how to switch the XTR front shifter from 3 to 2? That silly screw setting thing doesn't hold when flipped over to 2...just springs back :/
    Last edited by Pau11y; 08-25-2012 at 08:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebike View Post
    I am planning on ordering a TB LT c and was considering one of the santa cruz kits. The xtr am kit has a front hub I've never heard of...(e13xcx). Does anyone have any experience with it?
    santa cruz tall boy xtr am 29 kit lists these wheels: WTB Frequency Team i23 TCS rims laced to E13 XCX front hub and DT 240S rear hub w/ DT 14/15 spokes...
    Does anyone have experience with the e13 xcx hubs? The SPX (XT) AM lists: WTB Frequency Team i23 TCS rims laced to DT 350 hubs w/ DT 14/15 spokes, alloy nipples "

I don't know anyone who has used them? Anyone out there have a comment
    The front hub is a "Chub hub" rear is DY 240s laced to WTB i23 rims. Doesn't seem all that special.
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

10 weeks and counting!!

As you've probably already guessed I've ordered a tallboy ltc 10 weeks ago and still no bike.

Right so here is the spec
    Tallboy ltc in naked carbon and orange size L
    Rockshox revelation rct 3 29 2013
    Full shimano Xt groupset including brakes
    Hope hoops with stans flow rims 15mm front, 12mm dtswiss rear
    Richey bar and stem
    Giant contact switch seatpost
    Specialized sworks the captain tyres.

The only problem is the forks are still out of stock!!

But i can't wait to ride the new toy.

banned
    Oct 2004

...still waiting for the Blackspire Stinger

Last steps... the Stinger and Stay Wrap. The brakes can use a bleed also.

Side note, the 34 "can" have its travel bumped up to 150mm. But, the damper side doesn't have the spare length for topout. So, even tho the bushing and air side is good, the damper side will cause a pretty loud clunk at topout, especially if you pull up on the bar.
    Lastly, when I went thru all the pivots to check torque and Loctite-ing everything, I had the shock off. When I cycled the rear thru its range, I noticed if the shock compressed too far, the compression struts (seat stays) will hit the upper link's frame knuckle. So, extra stroke on the shock = no bueno!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-imag0288.jpg  

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-imag0280.jpg  

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-imag0281.jpg  

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-imag0282.jpg  

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-imag0283.jpg  

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-imag0287.jpg  

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-imag0278.jpg  

WWJR
    Last steps... the Stinger and Stay Wrap. The brakes can use a bleed also.

Side note, the 34 "can" have its travel bumped up to 150mm. But, the damper side doesn't have the spare length for topout. So, even tho the bushing and air side is good, the damper side will cause a pretty loud clunk at topout, especially if you pull up on the bar.
    Lastly, when I went thru all the pivots to check torque and Loctite-ing everything, I had the shock off. When I cycled the rear thru its range, I noticed if the shock compressed too far, the compression struts (seat stays) will hit the upper link's frame knuckle. So, extra stroke on the shock = no bueno!
    love that yellow!! did you already post the build? size...weight...? bring on the numbers brutha!!!! (oh, and get yur ass down to the frt range and lets pound some dirt!)
    -Santa Cruz TBLTc

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

couple of updated pics....

love the Bike leave next Thursday for a week in the Alps...TP route 2012....;-)
    Added the EThirteen TRS dual..(Tip you only need the gold washers (both)) took for four attempts to get it right...works lovely now...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-img_2112.jpg  

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-img_2109.jpg  

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-img_2110.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by hullendersauce View Post
    love that yellow!! did you already post the build? size...weight...? bring on the numbers brutha!!!! (oh, and get yur ass down to the frt range and lets pound some dirt!)
    Pau11y is already a Front Ranger. Perhaps we should all have a TBLTc group outing. Apex anyone?

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryn View Post
    Pau11y is already a Front Ranger. Perhaps we should all have a TBLTc group outing. Apex anyone?
    You two clowns... lemme get in a shakedown before you Strava queens throw me a beat-down, yeah?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JWCR View Post
    love the Bike leave next Thursday for a week in the Alps...TP route 2012....;-)
    Added the EThirteen TRS dual..(Tip you only need the gold washers (both)) took for four attempts to get it right...works lovely now...
    What are you using as a downtube protecter?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by murrdogg11 View Post
    What are you using as a downtube protecter?
    Frame defender cut down and I have just order cytoes protector also....

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Anyone on the East coast? Im in Ma, Boston area moved over from the UK so looking for people to hit some trails with....

So Pau11y, why'd you run your lines down the top of your seat stays rather than below them where the guides are?

Workin Hard To Stay Young
    Not to put down another man's ride, but I don't dig the look of that frame protector at all. Are you really that worried about rock strikes while riding that you need to add all that stuff? Seems like overkill considering these are mountain bikes and really kills the sweet lines this frame has. I'm more concerned with protecting myself (not the bike) when riding.

banned
    Oct 2004
    So Pau11y, why'd you run your lines down the top of your seat stays rather than below them where the guides are?
    2 reasons:
    1. rubbing on that upright of the disc side. putting it up top doesn't touch anything and the length will only shorten (but then so does going under...).
    2. my brake hose was just short...Goodridge hoses cost a crap-ton and this avoids getting another.

As a side benefit, both lines cross the shocks "stanchion" path but w/o making contact. So if on a weird occasion that something gets kicked up at the damper's most vulnerable spot, the lines may just reduce the chance of impact against that surface (but I think this one is reaching a bit)

The mech line will get wrapped w/ Stay wrap where the rubber tape is.

...and that guy who said the thing about ruining a frame's lines...two words: my bike.
    When you get yours feel free to leave it nekkid. But I'll tell ya, as low as that BB is to the ground, ruining lines or not, I want a guard down there. AND, if you've ever ridden behind a guy w/ sticky tires (1st hand experience riding DH w/ such tires), you'll know just how much crap gets picked up by the tires. That foam and the skid plate...less than 1/4 pound...I think I can live w/ that.

I'm kind of digging the frame protector Pau11y put on the downtube. The only thing I don't like is the way the Santa Cruz wording of the graphics is covered up.

Still with the pointy rocks we have and the way I was worrying about my linkage when maneuvering large natural rock obstacles I can see me picking up some of this myself (definitely the skid plate).

banned
    Oct 2004
    The only thing I don't like is the way the Santa Cruz wording of the graphics is covered up.
    You can trim it so the logo shows. But for me, I think it would remove too much material for glancing blows, so NO LOGO FOR ME!
    Oh and Cytoe's skid plate fits over the foam very well, if you slip in a presta valve nut on a longer bottle bolt. You may not need a longer one tho. And, I'm pretty sure you can peel off his pads from the inside when used this way. What I like to do is put a heat gun on it and curve the link portion up a bit more...but not enough to hold water. Either that or drill s couple of small drain holes...say 1/16"...?

Edit: Oh K, Race Face makes those crank boots for their SixC carbon cranks (~$10). It fits the old XT AL arms very well (dunno about the new) and does take the edge off crank arm strikes. I have some on my Saints for me DH bike and it takes the edge off that spin-jarring shot when you hit rocks.

Crank boots? I wish I had heared about that before I mashed up the ends of my new XT cranks on our beloved rocks!

Workin Hard To Stay Young
    PAU11y,

Never said it wasn't your bike to do as you please, that was just my opinion. But while we're on the topic, I'm curious what you meant about riders in front of you with sticky tires throwing rocks. While I understand that concept completely, how on earth would those rocks make their way to your downtube? I've thrown rocks from my front wheel into my downtube, but I would imagine your front tire and forks will block anything being thown by a rider in front of you before they hit your downtube.

And for the record I already have mine (got it in June) and after 2 months on it, couldn't be happier. Here's the pics if anyone's interested

http://forums.mtbr.com/members/darks...s/tallboy-ltc/

banned
    Oct 2004
    Crank boots? I wish I had heared about that before I mashed up the ends of my new XT cranks on our beloved rocks!
    Okay, this is strange...
    Why the hell would these be on NewEgg?!?!

Newegg.com - RaceFace Carbon Crank Boots Black Sold in Pairs

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Newegg is running like Amazon, Using the storefront to market different sellers. Xtreme Bike & Sport is the seller, they are all over ebay too.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sanman View Post
    Newegg is running like Amazon, Using the storefront to market different sellers. Xtreme Bike & Sport is the seller, they are all over ebay too.
    I didn't realize this...thanks
    BTW, that's a good price for those, if they don't pound your ass for shipping!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm kind of digging the frame protector Pau11y put on the downtube. The only thing I don't like is the way the Santa Cruz wording of the graphics is covered up.

Still with the pointy rocks we have and the way I was worrying about my linkage when maneuvering large natural rock obstacles I can see me picking up some of this myself (definitely the skid plate).
    If you don't like the way it covers the logo here is what I went with on my Tallboy and it is clear and it works sick. Had some large rock strikes already and not a problem. Oh and the logo is visible as ever.
    Shelter baby, Shelter:

Shelter Bicycle Frame Protection - YouTube

Shelter

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    An FYI out there, saw this today on ebay. I don't think the dude knows what he has. He says it is top of the line but it appears to be SPX kit, if it has only been used as he says then at $4500 it seems to be a good buy, but again...

Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon 29er *LIKE NEW DEMO* 2013 | eBay

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    An FYI out there, saw this today on ebay. I don't think the dude knows what he has. He says it is top of the line but it appears to be SPX kit, if it has only been used as he says then at $4500 it seems to be a good buy, but again...

Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon 29er *LIKE NEW DEMO* 2013 | eBay
    Shimano Deore XT Forks
    Rock Shox revelation 29 in. rear shock
    Fox float RP23 seat post
    Thompson Elite seat
    WTB Volt handlebars
    East Haven stem
    Truvativ rims
    WTB frequency 123
    Team 29 tires
    Maxxis 29 x 2.25
    Tubeless Hubs DT Swiss 350

Ha ha! Deffinitely doesn't have a clue. The way that parts list is formatted had be laughing. Perhaps a little reformatting would help.

Shimano Deore XT
    Forks: Rock Shox revelation 29 in.
    Rear shock: Fox float RP23
    Seat post: Thompson Elite
    Seat: WTB Volt
    Handlebars: Easton Haven
    Stem: Truvativ
    Rims: WTB frequency i23 Team 29
    Tires: Maxxis 29 x 2.25 Tubeless
    Hubs: DT Swiss 350

Wow, doesn't that make a difference now.

Judging by the homes in the photo I would say that this was bought on a whim by some rich dude that then decided that it wasn't for him, or decided to get a hard-tail instead.

mtbr member
    Pau11y- any reason why you don't have a Kashima shock? You're the first TB LTc that I've seen without one. Float or Talas 34?

And I'm digging the yellow/red combo, on paper I thought it would never work, but looks so good.
    konahonzo

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Pau11y- any reason why you don't have a Kashima shock? You're the first TB LTc that I've seen without one. Float or Talas 34?

And I'm digging the yellow/red combo, on paper I thought it would never work, but looks so good.
    I bought the frame only... so I'm not sure what went on w/ that...don't really care since I'm looking at the X-Fusion HLR Air.
    Fork is a Float RLC.
    As for the colors...I'm thinking of adding a bit of green for the Rastafari thing

Now that SC has ran out of RP23s they are shipping with the CTD shock. As standard, SC is being cheap and putting the lower spec Evolution model on. If you want Kashima with boost valve and trail adjust you have to cough up an extra $205.

That was the only thing that left a sour taste in my mouth with this bike purchase.

Okay, this is strange...
    Why the hell would these be on NewEgg?!?!

Newegg.com - RaceFace Carbon Crank Boots Black Sold in Pairs
    'cause Newegg is trying to go all Amazon on us and be a storefront for other companies. There is a difference between Newegg and Newegg Marketplace.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TLD80 View Post
    I have about a half dozen rides on it so far but just got the wheels and tires last night. This bike is so smooth and controlled even at warp speed and it climbs like a scalded cat too.

Medium Frame
    Fox 34 TALAS
    Race Face Atlas Bar in Stealth
    Race Face Atlas Cranks in Stealth
    Straitline SSC Stem
    Race Face Sniper Grips
    XT Brakes
    XT Front Derailleur
    XT Shadow + Rear Derailleur
    E.Thirteen TRS+ Dual Chainguide
    Stans Arch EX Rims laced to I9 hubs
    Hans Dampf 2.35 tires
    Selle Italia SL saddle
    Seatpost is temporary until after Interbike at which point I will decide which dropper post to get.
    Final weight as pictured is 28.04 lbs. After the dropper post is added it will be around 28.5 lbs. Best bike I have ever ridden and my first Santa Cruz too! So stoked!
    are you running the trailstar or pacestar Hans Dampf's

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

TB LTa

Second ride. Still dialing in the shocks. This bike handles quicker w/ a 70mm stem than my TB did w a 90, but more stable and much more plush. More on the ride after some more trail time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-img_1153.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

delete please

Delete Delete Delete
    Last edited by rjedoaks; 08-28-2012 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Delete

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by neveo View Post
    are you running the trailstar or pacestar Hans Dampf's
    I have the TrailStars front and rear. I was a little concerned with how the rear tire would wear with the softer compound but so far it seems to be doing great. I can't say enough good things about the Hans Dampfs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks View Post
    Second ride. Still dialing in the shocks. This bike handles quicker w/ a 70mm stem than my TB did w a 90, but more stable and much more plush. More on the ride after some more trail time.
    Nice ride, I also went to a 80mm stem and it handles much quicker without any drawbacks on climbs.
    Tallboy LT

mtbr member
    May 2012
    someone has official infos about changes on the 2013 LTa modell?
    just looked today @SC hp and saw that the LTa has been upgraded to 142x12 and slightly shorter chain stays? (pdf says 17,7", hp 17,9") would be a nice improvement and my largest concerns about the LTa frame.

An update on my bike.

I had complained about how when I ordered my bike I had been told that I did not need to worry about the stem length and that I could adjust it between the 60, 70, 80mm stems list against the part spec only to find that the bike came with a 60mm and that my options were not as expected. I had turned down the alternatives and I was going to source a Syntace Megaforce 2 70mm myself as a replacement. I had given the shop a chance to see what price they would do this for (I could get it online for $75 but I have a $500+ credit with the shop) and last night they phone me tell me that I could have the stem for free as a straight swap of the existing stem.

What a way to stand by your customers! Thank you Sports Garage.

I then told them to order the Kind Shock LEV 125mm seat post as well. This should finish my immediate changes to the bike. I'm looking forward to getting my first adjustable seat post and seeing what that does to the ride.

banned
    Oct 2004
    An update on my bike.

I had complained about how when I ordered my bike I had been told that I did not need to worry about the stem length and that I could adjust it between the 60, 70, 80mm stems list against the part spec only to find that the bike came with a 60mm and that my options were not as expected. I had turned down the alternatives and I was going to source a Syntace Megaforce 2 70mm myself as a replacement. I had given the shop a chance to see what price they would do this for (I could get it online for $75 but I have a $500+ credit with the shop) and last night they phone me tell me that I could have the stem for free as a straight swap of the existing stem.

What a way to stand by your customers! Thank you Sports Garage.

I then told them to order the Kind Shock LEV 125mm seat post as well. This should finish my immediate changes to the bike. I'm looking forward to getting my first adjustable seat post and seeing what that does to the ride.
    K, what's your inseam? I'm 33" and the 4" Reverb is plenty long enough w/ the post completely buried in the frame.

Over the weekend I changed out my tires to Maxxis Ikons and set them up tubeless, At the same time my weight weenie tendencies popped up, so here are the wheel weights (of the SPXAM kit) if anyone is interested...

Rear wheel assembly
    DT 350, XT Cassette, ICE Rotor, WTB i23 rims, Ardent + tube - 2450g

Made up of..
    Maxxis Ardent 29x2.25 - 760g
    Maxxis tube 29x1.75/2.125 - 202g
    Shimano ICE 160mm rotor - 115g
    Rotor bolts 11g
    Wheel + rim tape + cassette 1360g
    (I could't get the cassette off at this time - I think the lock ring had been over torqued and my lock ring tool was stripping the lock ring - this needs to go back to the shop. But, if the cassette is about 337g (shimano's specs) then the rear wheel would be about 1023g)

I then removed the stickers which reduced the weight further (and cleaned up the look) to 1356g, so the stickers weighed 4g.

I got rid of the tube and swapped the tire for a
    Maxxis Ikon 29x2.20 3C EXC EXO - 612g
    Valve 7g
    Sealent - ?
    Total tubeless wheel weight - ?

I forgot to make a note of the final wheel weight (I will update later) but it took about a 1/2lb off it.

Front wheel assembly
    DT350, ICE Rotor, Ardent + tube - 2000g

Made up of..
    Maxxis Ardent 29x2.25 - 750g
    Maxxis tube 29x1.75/2.125 - 203g
    Shimano ICE 180mm rotor - 136g
    Rotor bolts - 13g
    Speed sensor magnet - 3g
    Wheel + rim tape - 896g (with the stickers removed 889g)

I then set it up tubeless with:
    Ikon 29x2.20 3C EXC EXO - 606g
    Valve 8g
    Sealer - approx 58g

Front complete tubeless - 1718g (saving 282g).

Getting the Ikons mounted on the i23 rims was not easy. However once mounted they are tight and I have no issues.

The bead of the Ikon has to "pop" into the i23 rim. For the front, this only worked once I removed the valve core and used my 60gal compressor (at 120psi) to dump the air in. It took lots of soapy water and hitting the tire to get it seated, but once that first "pop" of the bead seating was heard, the rest of the tire popped into place and inflated okay.

The rear was even worse. The only way I found I could mount the tire was to first mount the tire with a tube. Inflate it to pop the bead into place. Then deflate and carefully unmount one side only to remove the tube leaving the over side still locked into the bead. Then remount the tire with value and inflate until the other side pops into place.

Once I had the tires "dry mounted" they would leak air around the bead but as soon as I put the Stans in, they sealled up just fine. No subsequent leaks.

So how do they ride? These tires are fast! At risk of annoying everyone I Stravaed a load of new personal records and got another top 10 crown. However I fear I may have made a mistake with the front. While a fast rolling tire I have lost cornering traction. Although quick, with the current bone dry conditions and dusty trails we have, I found my corning was very on the edge to the point that I may have lost more time due to lack of confidence with the front. Admittedly I was pushing the bike to the max at the time, so I was going very fast into loose single-track and the front was probably a little over inflated at 28psi so I will see how it goes.

I'll give the front another couple of rides to see if the front washout was just because of the increased speed I'm carrying and to see if I adapt to it, but I may end up putting the Ardent back on front and keep the Ikons for the rear, where i like it a lot.

K, what's your inseam? I'm 33" and the 4" Reverb is plenty long enough w/ the post completely buried in the frame.
    I have a 32" insteam. I checked with Kind Shock on sizing of the LEV post and how much room is needed for the collar. They replied with

"Just add 1.25" for the collar of the LEV which sits just above the seat tube collar."

So based on that I have bang on 125mm from the top of the collar to my usually maxed XC riding height. For climbing I may go a few mm more. I like the look of the post with the collar all the way down on the seat tube so I ordered the 125, even though I probably only need the adjustment of the 100mm post.

I wonder if saddle size also makes a difference?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Racing Ralph 2.35 front

Over the weekend I changed out my tires to Maxxis Ikons and set them up tubeless, At the same time my weight weenie tendencies popped up, so here are the wheel weights (of the SPXAM kit) if anyone is interested...

Rear wheel assembly
    DT 350, XT Cassette, ICE Rotor, WTB i23 rims, Ardent + tube - 2450g

Made up of..
    Maxxis Ardent 29x2.25 - 760g
    Maxxis tube 29x1.75/2.125 - 202g
    Shimano ICE 160mm rotor - 115g
    Rotor bolts 11g
    Wheel + rim tape + cassette 1360g
    (I could't get the cassette off at this time - I think the lock ring had been over torqued and my lock ring tool was stripping the lock ring - this needs to go back to the shop. But, if the cassette is about 337g (shimano's specs) then the rear wheel would be about 1023g)

I then removed the stickers which reduced the weight further (and cleaned up the look) to 1356g, so the stickers weighed 4g.

I got rid of the tube and swapped the tire for a
    Maxxis Ikon 29x2.20 3C EXC EXO - 612g
    Valve 7g
    Sealent - ?
    Total tubeless wheel weight - ?

I forgot to make a note of the final wheel weight (I will update later) but it took about a 1/2lb off it.

Front wheel assembly
    DT350, ICE Rotor, Ardent + tube - 2000g

Made up of..
    Maxxis Ardent 29x2.25 - 750g
    Maxxis tube 29x1.75/2.125 - 203g
    Shimano ICE 180mm rotor - 136g
    Rotor bolts - 13g
    Speed sensor magnet - 3g
    Wheel + rim tape - 896g (with the stickers removed 889g)

I then set it up tubeless with:
    Ikon 29x2.20 3C EXC EXO - 606g
    Valve 8g
    Sealer - approx 58g

Front complete tubeless - 1718g (saving 282g).

Getting the Ikons mounted on the i23 rims was not easy. However once mounted they are tight and I have no issues.

The bead of the Ikon has to "pop" into the i23 rim. For the front, this only worked once I removed the valve core and used my 60gal compressor (at 120psi) to dump the air in. It took lots of soapy water and hitting the tire to get it seated, but once that first "pop" of the bead seating was heard, the rest of the tire popped into place and inflated okay.

The rear was even worse. The only way I found I could mount the tire was to first mount the tire with a tube. Inflate it to pop the bead into place. Then deflate and carefully unmount one side only to remove the tube leaving the over side still locked into the bead. Then remount the tire with value and inflate until the other side pops into place.

Once I had the tires "dry mounted" they would leak air around the bead but as soon as I put the Stans in, they sealled up just fine. No subsequent leaks.

So how do they ride? These tires are fast! At risk of annoying everyone I Stravaed a load of new personal records and got another top 10 crown. However I fear I may have made a mistake with the front. While a fast rolling tire I have lost cornering traction. Although quick, with the current bone dry conditions and dusty trails we have, I found my corning was very on the edge to the point that I may have lost more time due to lack of confidence with the front. Admittedly I was pushing the bike to the max at the time, so I was going very fast into loose single-track and the front was probably a little over inflated at 28psi so I will see how it goes.

I'll give the front another couple of rides to see if the front washout was just because of the increased speed I'm carrying and to see if I adapt to it, but I may end up putting the Ardent back on front and keep the Ikons for the rear, where i like it a lot.
    I was going to chime in when you talked about making the switch to Ikon's front and rear.
    On my Tallboy they worked well f/r, but I wouldn't want one on the front of the LT. RR 2.35 works well on the front, rolls well. Rich

banned
    Oct 2004
    I have a 32" insteam. I checked with Kind Shock on sizing of the LEV post and how much room is needed for the collar. They replied with

"Just add 1.25" for the collar of the LEV which sits just above the seat tube collar."

So based on that I have bang on 125mm from the top of the collar to my usually maxed XC riding height. For climbing I may go a few mm more. I like the look of the post with the collar all the way down on the seat tube so I ordered the 125, even though I probably only need the adjustment of the 100mm post.

Yeah, the saddle height off the rails will make a diff... I have two WTBs, one is about 1/2 to 3/4" shorter than the other.
    From reading, I think the Lev is adjustable in extension so good choice there. But I sincerely hope KS fixed their issues. I went thru 3 900s before just giving up and going to the Reverb.

So, I still haven't gotten in a shake down yet... I found my Elixir CR has a leaky master cyl...SUCK! Good thing about that is SRAM/Avid is pretty damn good about warrantying their bits... However, I do have a set of Codes I can move to the bike (tonight). So hopefully, I can do the Chimney/Apex tomorrow (an even day) and do the final dial-in.

Oh, so I spec'd the XTR triggers for my ride... the 2x front setting is spot-on for spacing w/ a 22/34/Bashy combo, w/ fine-tuning on the throw limit and cable tension!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

If you are going to drop the seat, might as well drop it as low as you can. Good call on the 5" post.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

70 stem

Quote Originally Posted by Intense29 View Post
    Nice ride, I also went to a 80mm stem and it handles much quicker without any drawbacks on climbs.
    thanks, I've never ridden a short stem before, makes lifting the front wheel so much easier .

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by darkstar1974 View Post
    I'm curious what you meant about riders in front of you with sticky tires throwing rocks. While I understand that concept completely, how on earth would those rocks make their way to your downtube?
    The point was, if a rider out in front of you can toss up pea to marble sized rocks at you...or at least kick them up high enough for you to slam into...what kind of pounding do you think your downtube will take from your own front tire/wheel? The shot peen'd/ano'd finish of my old Nomad can get pits in it from these rocks kicked up, and it's magnitudes harder than the resin used on these plastic-fantastic frames... Also, when that front wheel flips up a rock that misses your rim, what's the next item that will cross its path...downtube/BB? I slapped on the same foamy thingie on my Jedi, and sure as sh!+, the next ride I kicked up a dinner plate into my BB. It shredded the foam (repaired w/ rubber cement), but didn't touch the frame. And, from my limited time on the demo TBLTc, this bike can haul mail, every bit as fast as an 8" DH bike in the chunder! It's only limited by small/light weight tires, which is why I went big w/ the Conti TK 2.4s.
    So, for less than a 1/4 lbs combined (the Frame Defender and Cytoe's BB skids), why not remove/reduce that concern (about rocks damaging an expensive frame) from the equation...when any damage to the frame will easily exceed the cost of a $25 piece of foam + $45 skid plate?

mtbr member
    tapatalk error
    Last edited by neveo; 08-30-2012 at 10:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Over the weekend I changed out my tires to Maxxis Ikons...
    I punctured my rear Ikon EXO yesterday (4th ride on it). It was spewing sealant through the hole, but I figured I'd I give it a shot of CO2 and lean it over so hopefully something would plug it up. No luck though. I've got a tube it there now and will need to pick up another to carry for tomorrow's ride.

I don't know if I can remount the tire with fresh sealant and get it to plug or if I can patch it... I don't have any tubeless experience, but I bet the tire is trash.

I'll run the tube until I can decide what tire to go with. I might get another Ikon, but IDK.

mtbr member
    I punctured my rear Ikon EXO yesterday (4th ride on it). It was spewing sealant through the hole, but I figured I'd I give it a shot of CO2 and lean it over so hopefully something would plug it up. No luck though. I've got a tube it there now and will need to pick up another to carry for tomorrow's ride.

I don't know if I can remount the tire with fresh sealant and get it to plug or if I can patch it... I don't have any tubeless experience, but I bet the tire is trash.

I'll run the tube until I can decide what tire to go with. I might get another Ikon, but IDK.
    try hitting it with some super glue from the outside then reinflate tubeless.

mtbr member

I've patched from the inside. With standard tube patch kit patch to genera lily good effect. Make sure all sealant is removed and tire is clean n dry.
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I love your Strava comment!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I bought the frame only...
    As for the colors...I'm thinking of adding a bit of green for the Rastafari thing
    i can dig it, my plan is to order up CK hubs and headset in green. Race face atlas handlebars comes in green also. might be too much tho, might have to go for carbon bars as origionally planned

mtbr member
    Placed my order for a LTa. Not going to arrive until late October

I went with the charcoal frame and RAM package. I got back into riding last year after picking up a Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc off CraigsList. I suffered on group rides with my 26" hardtail in an attempt to get back in shape. It worked. Then I went on a few demo days at local parks and after a month of deliberation decided the Tallboy was the one for me. Afterall, I'm 6'3" and the name just seems fitting. I chose the LT because I need a bike that will do everything. I ride mostly single track cross country but a few of the nearby parks have enough elevation for me to build up speed and make use of the travel. I'm so excited. Going to be the longest 2 months ever!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
    Placed my order for a LTa. Not going to arrive until late October

I went with the charcoal frame and RAM package. I got back into riding last year after picking up a Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc off CraigsList. I suffered on group rides with my 26" hardtail in an attempt to get back in shape. It worked. Then I went on a few demo days at local parks and after a month of deliberation decided the Tallboy was the one for me. Afterall, I'm 6'3" and the name just seems fitting. I chose the LT because I need a bike that will do everything. I ride mostly single track cross country but a few of the nearby parks have enough elevation for me to build up speed and make use of the travel. I'm so excited. Going to be the longest 2 months ever!
    I just sent an XL frame in that color back to competitive cyclist. I thought that HucknRoll/CC had completes in stock.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Went for a shakedown ride today...up Apex and down the $luth Box side (damn filter picked up "$lut"). Found all SORTS of little bugs
    Damn Fox 34 has creaky/poppy stanchy/crown interface...because when I stuck on the Marz 44, no more noise (warranty)! And, I think the rubber roller of the Stinger is squeaking like the hamster wheel, rubbing against the chain, the chain is about 6 links too short at the full 116 links w/ the SGS rear mech and 34T front, 36T rear, and the headset bedded in and began knocking around w/ play. Lastly, I scratched my new carbon rims :/
    Besides all this bi+chin', the bike rode GREAT!! HAHAHA! The only flaw...ME! Riding DH does NOTHING for one's aerobic fitness! And oh, if anyone wants me to photo document the scratched rim repair, let me know...

One more shakedown ride to see about the additional 6 links and to gauge the 44's flexiness. Feels good buzzing around the apartment complex...

mtbr member
    Total buzzkill with that Fox 34 creaking. And so soon too, on the first ride. First time reading about it happening on the first ride and first time hearing the 34 creaking. Only read about tapered 32 and 36 especially. But Fox should take care of you with a new CSU but still quite annoying to happen on a $970 fork.

As for the rim repair, I would love to see some pics, always enjoy DIY stuff. Post away!!
    konahonzo

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    As for the rim repair, I would love to see some pics, always enjoy DIY stuff. Post away!!
    Copy that...but after the shakedown w/ the Marz 44.
    Not too concerned about the Fox...so long as they warranty that CSU. If the 44 is stiff enough, besides the one on the bike, I've bot a brand new one in box and a set of black lowers to slap on. Silvery legs instead of the Kashima gold still works...then I sell the Fox
    I'm also looking at changing the rear Fox to a X-Fusion Vector HLR Air...I've read nothing but glowing feedback on X-Fusion stuff.
    Gonna slap the HLR coil on her to get a feel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by c-wal View Post
    I just sent an XL frame in that color back to competitive cyclist. I thought that /CC had completes in stock.
    I don't know. I'm going through my local store (gotta support local business, especially when they give you a discount off retail and organize regular group rides).

banned
    Oct 2004
    Had to check the frame issue w/ the 2.25" stroke rear damper...
    I think the pic is pretty self explanatory.

Bike w/ the Marz 44 Micro Ti and the X-Fusion coil is 31.5lbs

Bike w/ the Marz and the Fox CTD is exactly 30lbs.

Between the 1st weighing w/ the 34 Fox and this weighing w/ the Marz, the skid plate was added, and the Elixir CRs were replaced w/ Codes.

Parking lot brake check didn't show the skinnier 32mm Marz stanchies to be any more flexy than the larger 34mm Fox. But will tell ya, the nickel coat just feels smoother...both have been rebuilt the same way, and both were used/broken in. Trail testing tomorrow
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-2.25in-stroke-rear-shock.jpg  

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-30lbs-tbltc.jpg  

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-31.5lbs-tbltc.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks great with the white fork.
    konahonzo

banned
    Oct 2004
    The Marz 44 Micro Ti 29er works juuuuuust fine, thank you!
    Yes there was flex. But the only place where you'd notice it is in the tight switchbacks. Everywhere else, not so much. And yes, it is a much smoother fork. Small bump canceling dusts the 34 if the TST is left wide open. Wide open on the climbs so you don't get bounced off line, and engage it 25-50% when coming down to keep the g-outs from cratering the thing. I know, this is prob some bass ackwards thinking to most of you...just try it before you start flaming me

Edit: had a chance to reflect on this last shakedown ride...whoever is saying 29ers retards the trail...you sir/ma'am are a pvssy! I came across a section that I typically have probs w/ on a 26er...a very narrow rock squeeze...typically walk around. But then, remembering the additional traction, the high side rock wall caught my eye. So, backedup to take a run at it...like it wasn't even there! There are a few trenches on it where a 26er might loose it, which is why I didn't bother w/ that move before. My point: these wagon wheel bikes should allow you to pick rowdier lines than you could on a smaller wheel'd bike!
    Last edited by Pau11y; 09-03-2012 at 06:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Here is my ride. 26.36 # with reverb, and large rotors. XTR w/ XT crank. 2x10, Roval Carbon wheels. I like to call it "Mr. T"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-20120831_182557.jpg  

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-20120831_182610.jpg  

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-20120831_182621.jpg  

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-20120831_182638.jpg  

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
    Here is my ride. 26.36 # with reverb, and large rotors. XTR w/ XT crank. 2x10, Roval Carbon wheels. I like to call it "Mr. T"
    Gutch, size? Sub 27...LOVE IT!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks, size large.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Changed my setup to 1x10 with 32t bling ring, swapped out talas fork for float, and switched rear dérailleur to xo type 2. Got my LTc down to 24 lbs flat. Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1346789159.413069.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Here are a couple more pics

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1346789272.169681.jpgTallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1346789293.873329.jpgTallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1346789318.317165.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tonloc08 View Post
    Got my LTc down to 24 lbs flat. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346789159.413069.jpg 
Views:	1130 
Size:	199.8 KB 
ID:	721666
    That is seriously light weight.

I stuck mine on the scale last night and it came in bang on 28 lbs. Mine though is a large with the standard SPXAM kit with XT triple but with tubless Maxxis IKON EXO tires instead of the Ardents and a computer mount and sensor. Otherwise stock.
    Last edited by TheNormsk; 09-04-2012 at 01:58 PM.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Here are a couple more pics

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346789272.169681.jpg 
Views:	1050 
Size:	222.2 KB 
ID:	721667Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346789293.873329.jpg 
Views:	1047 
Size:	217.9 KB 
ID:	721668Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346789318.317165.jpg 
Views:	1055 
Size:	189.2 KB 
ID:	721669
    Hey, are you running those "cheap" Chinese carbon (Nancy) rims? The profile looks familiar
    UD matte finish w/o the sacrificial layer of carbon? Any issues w/ nipple holes distorting if they are those Nancy rims?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey, are you running those "cheap" Chinese carbon (Nancy) rims? The profile looks familiar
    UD matte finish w/o the sacrificial layer of carbon? Any issues w/ nipple holes distorting if they are those Nancy rims?
    Yes they are the 12k and I have a set of 3k on my race bike. No problems with either one. Had a set of roval control sl's that I sold because I liked the wider profile of the Chinese rims better.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Yes they are the 12k and I have a set of 3k on my race bike. No problems with either one. Had a set of roval control sl's that I sold because I liked the wider profile of the Chinese rims better.
    Yeah, I'm running the 3K glossy, heavy. DAMN these rims build some NICE wheels, and I'm only in the ~95 to 100kgf range. Most on that thread are running tighter tensions, and yet, when I go to unwind the spokes by side loading the wheel, I can't get the thing to budge/flex at all, even at the lower tension!
    I'm collecting bits for a 2nd set and I think this time, I'll go light/normal rims w/ light spokes (Revo), and run light rubber and see if I can shed some weight from my LTc

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Well heres a quick update, STILL NO FORKS!!!!!

Been waiting two weeks and still no forks. Can't wait to finally get this thing built and get it out on the trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have revo's on one set and cx-ray's on the other. Can't really tell the difference as both sets are very stiff. Love them both.

Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 147