mtbr member
    May 2011

Tallboy LT Foot hits rear derailleur cable when pedalling

Just got a brand new 2013 Tallboy LT 2 weeks ago. I think Santa Cruz messed up the cable routing for the rear derailleur. The rear triangle has 3 hooks for the cable. But the last hook is on the outside of the frame, causing the cable to go from under the tube to the side. My foot constantly hits the cable between these two mounting points. It annoys the hell out of me!

I took it to the LBS and they said nothing could be done. I already tried tie-wraps and a shorter cable.

Does anybody have the same issue or solution?

Here is a pic with the problem spot circled. This isn't my bike but I pulled the pic from the web for clarity.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tallboy LT Foot hits rear derailleur cable when pedalling-tallbooy.jpg  

mtbr member
    Just because the cable mounts are there doesn't mean you have to use them. Move the cable to the top of the stay...?

Tallboy LT Foot hits rear derailleur cable when pedalling-p4pb8766246.jpg
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Or run it on the inside - go from the 2nd stop inside and route it through the brace between the two stays.

Zip tie or a little electrical tape lower down on the chainstay, nearer to the dropout area will keep it from flopping around as much as well.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    On my LTc the cable exits from under the stay about 2 inches from the rear axle so no foot issues. I agree run the cable between the cross brace on the stay. Good luck

uncertainty principle
    ^ ^^ Good suggestions above.

You can also try a cable connector (or zip tie) here to keep the cable taught & flush with the stock routing:

Name:  cable tie.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  41.0 KB

Name:  blur flush cable jpeg.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  66.9 KB

Your bike shop should have been able/willing to work with you a little more to solve the issue...
    Bumper sticker spotted: "If you’re riding a single speed in the woods and no one sees you, is it still cool?"

mtbr member

Re: Tallboy LT Foot hits rear derailleur cable when pedalling

Odd problem....mine is routed the same as your's but much lower profile. I wonder if there is an issue with slack somewhere or if the cable is twisted

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange