mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Tallboy LT carbon vs alloy- is it worth the extra $$$

Hello,
    I'm about to purchase a SC Tallboy LT. I would like your opinion about which one to buy- alloy or carbon. I don't do competitions but I ride fast and hard and love "air time". I live in the desert and have a lot of rock gardens here. The carbon looks great but is it worth the extra $$$? Will the carbon front triangle stand rocks hitting it?
    Thank you

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    "worth" is very tough to answer. you really have to decide that for yourself. If done right carbon is stiffer, lighter and in my opinion looks amazing. In the grand scheme it will be as durable as alloy. I own both types and my suggestion is to consider what the money means to you. if your first thought is that you could do a lot more with the money than buy a slight upgrade, alloy is probably the way to go. if carbon is a splurge but wouldn't stop you from going about life without a big sacrifice maybe you splurge for the joy of something special.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    May 2009
    IMO it is worth the extra money. I am a 250 lb guy and have been on a few different carbon Santa Cruz bikes the past few years. I am currently on the TallboyC and love it. My first carbon mtn bike was the 2010 Blur LTc. All of my bikes have been carbon since. I have not had one issue with durability, and I was able to tell a noticable difference in stiffness when I went to carbon. The carbon Tallboy LT is 1.5 lbs lighter than the alloy one, which is pretty significant IMO. It is stiffer and more durable. I think it was Pinkbike that did a video a year or two back at the Santa Cruz HQ that showed them testing carbon and alloy frames. In most cases the carbon was twice as strong as the alloy frame. There was not a single test they did where the alloy even came close to being as strong as the carbon. I have rocks flip up and hit the down tube all the time. Seldom does my bike get even a scratch from it. I will always go carbon over alloy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    If you are struggling to put food on the table, then maybe the savings is meaningful, but otherwise it is worth the money.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thank you for your advice guys!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    for whatever reason I could find sales on the carbon bike, but not on alloy. Carbon was about $300 more. For 1.5 lbs I thought that was a pretty good return. Even for the normal price increase of $600, it is a pretty good $/gram

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    for whatever reason I could find sales on the carbon bike, but not on alloy. Carbon was about $300 more. For 1.5 lbs I thought that was a pretty good return. Even for the normal price increase of $600, it is a pretty good $/gram
    True, and there are plenty of advantages beyond weight savings. Stronger frame, no fatigue damage, tuned damping characteristics, stiffer, etc.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

Tallboy LT carbon vs alloy- is it worth the extra $$$

Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    Oh yeah...for an extra $300? That's almost a no brainer.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I am on my second Carbon SantaCruz, a TBc and now TBLTc. I have had 0 issues . I would def. go with the carbon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Anyone actually ridden both. Many are claiming the carbon is stiffer but any press releases i have seen from Sc say that the alloy frame is 1.5 lbs heavier so they could achieve the same stiffness. Other reviews Ive read say they ride the same except for the weight difference.I;ve had several carbon bikes and they do have a crisp lively feel to them which differentiates the ride. Whether there is added stiffness depends on the alloy version tube design and designers philosophy. I've got a Giant Ax 29er and there is very little difference in weight going to the carbon version. I've also read that the alloy version actually has a more lively trail absorbing feel to it. Opposite to what you would expect.
    Just asking, because locally there is still a very hefty premium on the TB LT carbon and no chance to test ride either.