mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Tallboy C 2 vs Tallboy C?

I've been searching to find the difference between the 'tweaked' Tallboy 2 carbon, and the original Tallboy carbon. I've spent 3 years on the original Tallboy C, and was quite happy with the reliability, but always felt there was strong pedal feedback in the small ring climbing, and a lot of bob on out of the saddle efforts. It was a super fun, plush bike, great all round bike, for racing, trail riding and road tripping. Marketing aside, other than aluminum rockers and a shorter seat tube, are there any significant differences in the updated model of the Tallboy, especially in terms of the VPP performance? Feedback from anyone who has significant saddle in both would be greatly appreciated! Thx.

mtbr member
    Tallboy 2 Owners Thread

This from SC's website: "The geometry of Tallboy 2 remains true to the original. However, we've fine-tuned the shock rate, improved pedaling efficiency, increased stiffness and reduced weight to redefine our most popular trail bike."

Had a demo TB 1 for a little over a week before deciding on the TB LTc.

I found that the original TB had a very progressive shock rate, which to me, felt like it blew through the travel too quickly (for me).

I now have a TBc2 and it is indeed a much more linear shock rate; I think it is vastly improved. They've also relocated the pivots to enhance the pedal efficiency.

I've read how some have had their shocks "pushed" (from the original TB) with good results.

There are some really good deals on the TB1 right now.
    2014 Tallboy 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have a 1st gen TBc with a PUSHed RP23 kashima shock, and I like it a lot. If I were buying a new bike I would go with the TB2c, but I feel no desire to replace my old one.

I went from a 1st gen. 650b TRc to a SOLOc, and I think that the shock tuning made more difference than any difference in VPP pivot points. The SOLO pedals and climbs more efficiently, but it also has less small bump compliance, so it's a tradeoff. I suspect that the TB2 would be the same -- that is, the Fox CTD vs. RP23 makes more difference than the VPP geometry. A TB with the shock custom tuned to your weight and riding style is a super nice riding bike.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    I have a 1st gen TBc with a PUSHed RP23 kashima shock, and I like it a lot. If I were buying a new bike I would go with the TB2c, but I feel no desire to replace my old one.

I went from a 1st gen. 650b TRc to a SOLOc, and I think that the shock tuning made more difference than any difference in VPP pivot points. The SOLO pedals and climbs more efficiently, but it also has less small bump compliance, so it's a tradeoff. I suspect that the TB2 would be the same -- that is, the Fox CTD vs. RP23 makes more difference than the VPP geometry. A TB with the shock custom tuned to your weight and riding style is a super nice riding bike.
    One ride in, so could be new bike syndrome, but I'm using the same shock from my TR on my Solo and it feels like it climbs better and has better small bump sensitivity/plushness. There is brand new pivot hardware/bearings in that equation too though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    One ride in, so could be new bike syndrome, but I'm using the same shock from my TR on my Solo and it feels like it climbs better and has better small bump sensitivity/plushness. There is brand new pivot hardware/bearings in that equation too though.
    Good data point. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Fwiw...I recently went from a TBc1 to a new TBc2 (thanks Wiley from SC). I had questions about if my original rear shock could be used or did it need any tuning to the new TBc2 frame. The fine folks in SC tech confirmed the rear shock spec tune is the same between both TB versions.
    The ride between the two is similar but like others have stated above the rear is more linear. I was happy with TB1 and even happier with TB2. You can't go wrong with either version.

Cheers,
    Mike

mtbr member
    I have the TB1 carbon and I really like it. However I feel that it doesn't pedal as well as my old DW Turner Sultan. Do you think a PUSH tune would be a good idea for someone my size (6'2" 185lbs) that rides mostly XC?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Do it. Push tune transformed my TB. Day and night difference.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Getting my shock Pushed on my Tallboy would been a great thing to do, too bad I didn't think about it before I sold it... Does the new Tallboy still ramp up at the end, or with it being more linear does it blow through it's travel faster?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Do it. Push tune transformed my TB. Day and night difference.

i am considering getting my RP23 on my TB1c PUSHED in the name of getting a little more platform for better pedalling efficiency hopefully without losing too much plushness.

what do you mean specifically when you say night and say difference?

mtbr member

Re: Tallboy C 2 vs Tallboy C?

Quote Originally Posted by honkonbobo View Post
    what do you mean specifically when you say night and say difference?
    More platform in the middle of the stroke. Doesn't wallow anymore.
    Nicer smaller bump compliance.
    Propedal on my 2011 Fox RP23 makes a difference now. Can feel the firm mode right away. It was always guessing before the Push treatment.
    Feels like the shock utilises the travel better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I've just went from 18 months on a XXL TallboyC 1 to now being a few rides in on a replacement TallboyC 2. It's got the same shock and build kit so it's really just the frame that's changed.

There's no major os massive differences, but the new frame does ride a little bit differently.

It's definitely stiffer, and I *think* the frame is a tiny bit smaller. This equates to the bike just feeling a little more 'fun' I think, and though it might be new bike syndrome, I just find myself trying to find all the little ramps and bumps to launch off of and the bike is super fast through the berms, I leave my mate standing on his crack n fail scalpel now on most downhills.

Hope that helps a little, it's very un-scientific and I wouldn't spend the money just to upgrade, but I do think the TBc2 is a decent evolution by SC.