mtbr member
    May 2008

Tallboy 2 Vs Solo for Midwest riding

Gents im looking for some insight for the midwest riders. Im looking at getting a Solo for Michigan/Indiana riding. Curious if anyone is in a similar situation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm riding a Tallboy C v1 in Michigan mostly on our XC trails (SE Mi). I was riding a DW Turner Sultan before this and definitely wasn't using it to it's full potential. I've not ridden a 5" 27.5" (Solo or other) so I don't know if that is also overkill. I've found that overkill on XC trails is not as much fun.

I've demoed a few others recently (Yeti SB95c, Niner Jet RDO, and RIP) back to back with my TBc and I still prefer the TBc for my typical flat, rooted, XC singletrack ride.

mtbr member
    I'm from the STL, MO area and have the Solo. If pressed, I'd say the TB2 would be the better bike for midwest-type of riding but for me my Solo is perfect! Note: I am a shorter rider and find 29ers to just feel too big for me.

The Solo may be a bit too much bike for my trails, but you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands before I give it (and the 650b wheelsize) up. It isn't an XC bike but it pedals great, climbs great, and rails the turns. It is more fun to ride than my 110mm Cannondale Rush 650b.

I took it out to Brown County, IN last month and it was an absolute blast (the bike, the trails, and the bike on the trails)!

My buddy rides a TBLTc and loves it -- he doesn't think it is too much travel for our midwest trails.

I say try and get a leg over both and get the one that gives you that special tingling feeling.
    2013 Santa Cruz Solo C
    2013 Santa Cruz Chameleon 650b SS
    2012 Giant Defy (Roadie)

Not smart enough to shift
    Barry1me,

My wife and I are both TallboyC owners, and couldn't be happier. I have not ridden a Solo yet, but my buddy has one on order. He rode my Tallboy and liked it, but he's on the shorter side and comes from a BMX background so he's all over the 'tweener wheels.

I'd say ride both if you have the opportunity. We're in the Indy area and have a large and medium.

Cheers,
    -A
    Disclaimer: I'm a fan-boi for Jenson USA.

b a n n e d
    I'd agree that you should ride both, but I lived and rode in Michigan for a long time and if I were looking for a bike, I'd choose the TB2 between those two, hands down . . .
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

default title
    Mar 2008
    I'd wait for the Santa Cruz fatbike for midwest riding.
    Kidding. Mostly.
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy