Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Tallboy 2 Owners Thread

Didn't see a thread for the new Tallboy, so I thought I would go ahead and create one.

Waiting on mine, Matte blck/white carbon SPX XC but replacing the WTB rims with Spez Roval Control Carbons.

Received a Large TB2c at my shop yesterday with the XO 1 kit.

Weight was an impressive 24.16 w/o pedals setup tubeless.

BTW, coming off a Tallboy LTc, which I've ridden for the past year.

I really loved that bike, but looking for something a little more xc that can still handle all day trail riding.

Cheers!
    2014 Tallboy 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I currently ride a TBLTc and also interested in the changes made to the TB especially any diff. in pedaling. A brief mini review would be helpful. Any new owners out there?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I just got my Tallboy 2 Carbon with X01...one word = awesome.

I cannot comment on comparison with Tallboy LTc, never ridden that, but I have some experience with recent Niner Jet9, several hardtails, an older Trek Fuel FS.

As for the Tallboy 2 C, I am completely/totally smitten. I got the fancy shock/fork, Kashima whatnot, with the CTD settings. Total bike weight, ready to ride = just over 24 lbs.

As for pedaling/pedal bob, with both the fork/shock on 'climb' (stiffest setting), it feels a LOT like riding a hardtail with low rear tire pressure, there is certainly some pedal bob, but nowhere near what I thought there would be. I would say that it has actually improved some of my climbing (compared to my Karate Monkey hardtail), because now the rear tire stays stuck to the ground instead of bouncing off the rocks so much. The Tallboy being several pounds lighter helps this too.

I can say I have never ridden anything like the Tallboy 2, not even close.

Now...some of what I just wrote probably has some of that residual warm-fuzzy, just got a sweet new bike nonsense mixed into it...but it really is a great bike so far (only ~30+ miles on it though)...probably going to sell the hardtail as I really do not see a point in it now, with a FS bike that can feel so stiff/efficient like the Tallboy.

Already crashed it once too...I got a bit mashed up, but the bike was fine, hooray!

If anyone has specific questions, I can try to answer them.

FYI: I have been trying to make a KS LEV Integra work on this thing for days now...it may be impossible. That seat post relies on movement of cable housing relative to frame thru a grommet in the frame. Once the release button is pushed, seat lowers, but the return springs on the post are not strong enough to force the cable housing back away from the post, which keeps the release button mashed, which in turn makes that seat post suck out loud. Not the bike's fault...just leaves me scratching my head on why oh why would KS make an internally routed seat post cable housing move relative to the seat post...any friction on the housing kills the function...some feedback from a guy at Santa Cruz indicates the RockShox Reverb stealth post is the way to go.

Anyone want a brand new, only ridden once (so far) KS LEV Integra?!

Update on KS LEV Integra: After some great tips from AaronJobe on this forum, I decided to give the post one more try before tearing the installation apart and trying some of the tips (more flexible Jagwire housing, cable, length, noodle position, etc), and the post was being a complete POS...then I decided to 'deactivate it' by making the cable so slack it could not activate the release button, by screwing barrel adjuster all the way 'in'...then suddenly the seat post started working perfectly!!! It now has about 7-8mm of slack in the cable, which requires pushing lever all the way, but it works like a charm now! I retract my offer to sell above...keeping it, works perfectly now, but was a total butt-pain to screw around with.
    Last edited by MonkeyBoy650; 08-31-2013 at 11:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I thought I'd chime in here, just got my Tb2 last week and am having tons of fun on it. I got the green aluminum R XC kit and think it's everything I'll ever need for my riding (mostly all mountain with some XC). I'm riding a large at just under 6'1".

I don't have much to compare it to as I haven't ridden many other bikes for long-term. But I can say it pedals great, just wants to go up hill. I thought it had a more stable and more fun feel than the TB1 and the front is easy to pop up, I tested them back to back. I love the green color, I can't seem to capture the true color on camera though, it's darker green in person. I got red pedals and bottle cage, going with the christmas theme ahah.
    Tallboy 2 Owners Thread-imag0300.jpg
    Last edited by Rootman; 08-29-2013 at 04:04 PM. Reason: added pic

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Great- thanks for posting. I am very happy with my LTc for the chunky, rocky drops that live near me but I do miss the shorter WB and snappy turn in of my previous TBc. My main question is how does it pedal in the small front ring? With long slow climbs in the Rockies I am forced to spend time in a 22/36 gear. Yeh I know I am old and slow but you climb steep grades at 10500 ft, .

mtbr member
    Finally got the TB2 today.

Weighed the stock WTB Frequency 19 wheelset

1810 grams with stan's tape, no valves.

Roval Carbon wheelset 1610 with tubeless rim strip no valves.

I've already tested the wheelset on a '14 Spez FSR, and they lived up to the hype.

Bike weight w/ pedals and Ardent 2.25 UST tires was 27.05 #

With the stock Ikon tires the weight would be about 25.8 #

Going for a long ride tomorrow with lots of rocky/long/steep climbs and descents.

Will post after.

2014 Tallboy 2

mtbr member

Ok, the bike has exceeded my expectations.

Owned a TB LTc SPX bike for a year. I had demoed an original Tallboy for a week before deciding on the LTc. I really liked the Tallboy, but for me, the rear suspension was not quite up to the task on some of the rockier trails where I live (Albuquerque--a lot of climbing/descending from flow to really chunky).

When I heard that Santa Cruz had reworked the rear suspension to make the travel more linear, I took a chance and sold the LTc and ordered the new bike. I was looking for a lighter more cross country bike that could do a little bit of everything.

The suspension is vastly improved, the bike is super agile. It climbs a bit faster than the LTc, and is a bit more playful. Faster on the flatter sections and pops out of corners a bit quicker. What suprised me was it's descending prowess.

There is a very fast, curvy downhill trail section called birdhouse. It's a 2.6 mile descent of about 700 feet. It's littered with fist size rocks, baby heads and has several sections of staircase rocks/chunk. The trail follows a ridgeline, twisting through the trees with several steep switchback sections. There is very little margin of error at speed.

On strava (I am not a stravatard btw, I yield appropriately, treat other users w/respect) I had taken 11th place w/the LTc on this segment. It was the type of day where everything fell into place, went perfectly. I could never quite match the time on subsequent rides, but would come close.

First ride on the TB2, I took 6th beating my old best time by 28 seconds. I attribute this to the sharper steering, and the quicker acceleration out of the turns. Sure the tech sections were a bit scarier, but the bike handled them well.

With that being said, there is another trail called Coyote (about a 5 mile descent) that is scarier, and less twisty that I currently hold the KOM with the LTc, There is no way that I could match that time with the TB2 on that particular trail.

The way I see it, both bikes are great, do a little bit of everything really well. The LTc skews from more towards the AM side of things, The TB2 more towards trail/XC.
    Anyway, very happy with the bike.

Oh, and it climbs just fine in the granny gear.
    2014 Tallboy 2

mtbr member
    BTW, forgot to mention the 2014 Fox 32 120mm fork.

I was worried about that aspect of the bike after my experience with the 140mm 34 (good experience, but it did dive a bit in descend mode)

The 2014 fork is great, Fox has IMO really done a good job with it's changes.
    2014 Tallboy 2

GMM
    mtbr member
    Nice write-up. I demo'd the TB2 and also thought the rear suspension was significantly improved. It was so much fun through fast single track. Glad you like your new ride!

mtbr member
    Update:

SC sent the wrong shock w/ the bike.
    Received the Kashima Boost Valve shock yesterday.

12 mile ride this morning and It's even better.
    2014 Tallboy 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Here is my review, got 7 rides on the tb2. I have owned 2, tbc for the past 3 years.

Both bikes are set up similar, xt 2x10 on both, flow vs flow ex. both have 2.4 ardents on them.
    Dropper post on both bikes, same handle bar and stem on both,
    Basically comparing apples to apples.
    My bikes are set up trail, 27-28lb range.

The biggest change to me, is the bike feels more plus and bottomless in a good way.But the bike is still super snappy and likes to rail corners. The new 2014 fox kashima fork has less fork dive. The old tbc had rp23 kashima, new bike has 2014 cdt kashima.

As far as pedal feedback, this bike feels great, but so did the last 2 bikes, 26/39 front.
    This one might be smoother, or just new bike happiness?

Front range of Colorado home trails
    Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    I ordered mine yesterday. After reading these, I can't wait.
    2014 TallBoy2 C XX1

Warrior's Society
    I am currently waiting for my warranty replacement for my '09 TallboyC. Can't wait to see how different they are.

Just this week, we swapped my wife's medium TallboyAL to a small TallboyC....she is really diggin' it.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    I am currently waiting for my warranty replacement for my '09 TallboyC. Can't wait to see how different they are.
    Me too...SC/Willie is saying the XL are back ordered. :-(
    No ETA...

Cheers,
    Mike

SOG
    mtbr member
    Just built mine full XTR, Mavic SLR, Thompson stem & post & some Renthals
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tallboy 2 Owners Thread-tb2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice build. Do you have a weight on it yet/ride impressions?
    2014 Tallboy 2

SOG
    mtbr member
    24.6lbs & so much fun - far more capable on dh than i imagined plus super efficient climbing

Warrior's Society
    His and her's:

Tallboy 2 Owners Thread-045.jpg

We swapped out my wife's medium Tallboy Al for a small TallboyC. She is really liking it.

Mine is a warranty replacement for breaking my TallboyC v.1.

2 Rides on it so far and it is much different than the old one. Seems a little smaller. However, it is much much stiffer. So far so good.

mtbr member
    Delivery is scheduled tomorrow, Industry9 wheels arrived yesterday. Suspense is eating me up...
    pics to come...
    Crossing fingers for a sub 25lb build.
    2014 TallBoy2 C XX1

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Great thread! Currently have a TBLT and a Bronson. I'm thinking of beefing up the TBLT to replace the Bronson and getting a TB2 as the everyday/trail bike.

SC site says this bike has ISCG-05 tabs, but I think thats a typo. Can anyone confirm?
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    Great thread! Currently have a TBLT and a Bronson. I'm thinking of beefing up the TBLT to replace the Bronson and getting a TB2 as the everyday/trail bike.

SC site says this bike has ISCG-05 tabs, but I think thats a typo. Can anyone confirm?

Got mine last Friday.....negative on the ISCG tabs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Mine:

Tallboy 2 Owners Thread-1266771_571965056197028_1218938430_o.jpg
    Last edited by ruiabreu; 10-16-2013 at 03:40 PM.

mtbr member

Re: Tallboy 2 Owners Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post

So you like the TBLT better than the Bronson?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    So you like the TBLT better than the Bronson?
    Yes, for my local trails (Fruita, GJ, Moab) and most situations, the TBLT is a better all-arounder for ME.

I'm working on a comparison.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member

Tallboy 2 Owners Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SOG View Post
    Just built mine full XTR, Mavic SLR, Thompson stem & post & some Renthals
    Love it. Do you know the weight?

*Edit: just seen it, 24.6

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast