mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Tall Riders on an XL Bronson?

Getting ready to buy a trail bike, and my first choice is a Bronson. I'm 6'4.5" with pretty long legs and arms (road seat height is 86.5 cm from BB to top of saddle). I am pretty fit and flexible (175 lbs, ride a 14 cm bar drop on my road bike). I don't have a current mountain bike to replicate position off.

I won't be able to test ride my exact size, and I'm troubled by the fact that a search here revealed several complaints that the XL Bronson doesn't fit tall riders well and that we'd be much better served with the XXL Tallboy LTc. Candidly, I'm not sure why that would be. While the XXL TB has 1.4" higher stack and 0.25" longer reach, it'd be awfully easy to get a nearly equivalent bar position with 10 mm more stem and switching from a flat bar to a 1.25" riser.

Anyone my height compared the two directly? Thanks!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Could be the idea -- born out with facts or not -- that 29ers just seem to fit taller riders better. Illusion?

I'm 6'2 with a 34-inch cycling inseam and monkey arms. I previously owned a Bronson in size XL with a 50mm stem and 800mm bars. It fit me perfectly, perhaps the best overall fitment I've had on a bike.

To be honest, depending on your body proportion, I think it'll be a tough fit for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Could be the idea -- born out with facts or not -- that 29ers just seem to fit taller riders better. Illusion?

I'm 6'2 with a 34-inch cycling inseam and monkey arms. I previously owned a Bronson in size XL with a 50mm stem and 800mm bars. It fit me perfectly, perhaps the best overall fitment I've had on a bike.

To be honest, depending on your body proportion, I think it'll be a tough fit for you.
    What are you riding now?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    E29 S-works.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    If I was any taller than 6'1", I probably would have stuck with 29.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now