Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Tall boy carbon gear problem

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  lkfoster 
#1 ·
I am the new (happy) owner of 2012 Tall boy Carbon M size came originally with SPX kit which was upgraded as follows:

Shimano HG74 Chain 10 Speed (came with the SPX build kit from santacruz)
XTR 11-36 Cassette
Front derailleur XTR FD 981 - 3 Speed
SRAM XO Rear derailleur long cage 10
Sram XO Shifters 3*10
Black XT 3 rings crankset (came with the SPX build kit from santacruz pre-installed)

The problem that I have:
When I go on the 2nd ring on the XT crankset and on the 1st gear on the rear XTR 36 Cassette and I pedal to the back…. The chain goes off to the 3rd ring on the cassette.
The chain line looks bad!

Please help (it does not happened on pivot 429 with same set up)

The local dealer did not know how to solve it!

Thank you

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I would first check the alignment of the drop-out. Is the rear deraileur parallel to the chainline. Park Tools makes a tool for checking and adjusting alignment in vertical and horizontal axis'.

I'd be interested in knowing how your tires handle Israel trail conditions. I'm bringing my TBc over when I return and have doubts about the OEM Maxxis Crossmarks.

#6 ·
Tiers I am using are rear small block 8 front maxxis icon - not the one thsat came with the SPX kit

I checked the alignment of the front derailler no impact
check the alignment of the drop-out it is 100%

the chain line looks like it can never work - any ideas how to solve it?

#10 ·
Yes I am sure about the Chain installed fine.
Yes forward it all function perfect
Regards the number of rings on the BB - it was preinstalled by SC - it has ring on the right side.

I checked with friend the has tallboy - L - same gears but with XTR 2 rings cranckset, this problem at this bike exists rarely and only after 4-5 rotating backwards.

#11 ·
Got official answer from SC - So just to update here some qoute - and if someone has solution for me I will be more then happy .....

"this is pretty normal. Pedaling forward- the chain should stay on, but I would expect the chain to fall off when pedaling backwards in this gear." "Regardless, this really shouldn't be an issue while riding."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.