mtbr member
    Oct 2012

suspension presure advice

Hi all,

since im a newbie in setuping a bike, can anyone provide me on what air pressure should be on my TBc FoxFloat RP23 please? Im 93kg.
    Or if there is any table on all weights...
    Many thanks

mtbr member
    It's best to measure by sag in my experience. Measure the shaft, and do around 25-30% of that using the o-ring sitting on the bike with it fully open (propedal off). Then adjust if it's too stiff or you bottom out too easy.

mtbr member
    ^ Yup, exactly that.

I've found that the manufacturer suggested pressures only get you in the neighborhood. They have no idea what bike it's going to go on, or the terrain you're going to ride. So in general, if you like a stiffer rear suspension, aim for 25% sag. If you like a more plush suspension for downhill, go for 35% to start. Add 2psi if you're bottoming out, or it just feels too mushy when pedaling.
    "Got everything you need?"

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Santa Cruz website has a table it is under the support link on the TBc page. This is for the Fox float CTD. Around 200 PSI for your weight. I suspect the RP23 pressure would be close to this. Also Fox webpage will have information for the RP23. As others have said, the sag method is really the way to go, and the Fox webpage WebHelp has instructions on measuring sag

b a n n e d
    To add to what has been said already, make sure you set up the sag fully geared up to ride. Helmet, shoes, pack, everything . . .
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Setting SAG, I got different results at different low speed compression, or CTD. So I got in touch with fox and the response was that SAG must be set or gauged with your suspension in the descend or lowest compression as this apparently isolates your air spring. It made a huge difference in my set up as I was really fingering around and I could not get decent ride. And I was setting up with reference to SC and or Fox, same specs. Now it is just tooooo good. What a difference.