Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Superlight vs blur xc ?

Hi guys,

I'm looking to build up a new fully, likely for trail and enduro purposes. Don't do too extreme stuff, so I've kinda decided to narrow my options to the short travel xc category. I've more or less narrowed my options down to the above 2, BUT i've hit a rut. I can't decide ! I know the superlight's using a single pivot, the blur a vpp. But having not really ridden either, I'm looking for some advise/opinions on the feel of either and how the different design translates to feel on the trail. I know they're likely to both be great bikes, I've read the threads. Haha, but could anyone here give me a comparison please ?

Thanks and peace me brothers !

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I haven't ridden a blur but I do own a '08 superlight so I can give you a couple pros of the superlight over the blur, i'm sure somebody can chime in after with the pros of the blur.

-Superlight is much cheaper, MSRP is $1199 vs $1799 for a powdercoated frame.
    -Simple and efficient design, less pivots prone to wearing out/squeaking/etc
    -Maintainence is cheaper, cheaper to replace one bearing. Blur pivots are hard to replace, more costly in both labour and material.

I'm sure they're both great bikes but I have no regretted my superlight purchase for one second. I also know of two other people who have switched from blurs to superlights simply because of maintainence issues.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Chatting to a guy yesterday, says he races his Blur xc and trains on the Superlight, because he said the Blur was alot of maintenance if he raced and trained on it, where as his Superlight just kept going. He said he had them both built the same spec forks wheels tyres etc

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i love my SL....the few times im ridden with people with Blurs...they dont seem as pleased as i seem to be with my SL...rode with a kid who was in a lot better shape than me and he was on a Blur 4x, and I was passing him on the uphills, and staying with him on the downhills....talked to another girl in the parking lot after a ride and she said her blur was like a couch...not that great uphill but nice downhill...

personally i havent ridden a blur, cant imagine that its not a great bike, but Im still happy I got my SL (08)...with the rp23 it climbs with the hardtails and goes down like the blurs (def put a 120 fork up front)

I went with the SL cuz all the reviews (and people) mention having to rebuild the pivots annually on the blur...seems like a bit much without much advantage....either way, havent regretted my decision once...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    hmm so i guess the main issue is with maintainence of the blur ? Thats quite a biggie though coz its prolly gonna replace my hardtail as a do-it-all, and i get super grumpy if I don't get my weekend fix. The bearings have a life time warranty though (correct me if i'm wrong), so maintenance won't cost too much of a bomb ? (again, correct me if i'm wrong).

How about ride chracter ? My fav trail involve a rooty, tight, twisting rainforest trail which loops around a lake, which is where I figured the blur might excel it(theoretically), given its fully active vpp design ? However I have heard numerous claims that the super light climbs like a hardtail, which makes the transition from a hardtail very pleasant

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I just moved to a blur from my old Bridgestone MB-3 (with front sus). It climbs MUCH better than the old stone. I have been amazed at the handling and efficiency of the blur. VPP is just fantastic. Do you have any way to test ride them?

Good luck, either one is a good bike, try to ride them if possible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    with the rp23, the SL climbs quite well...i ride a lot of rooty and somewhat rocky stuff here in NC, and i love how it rides...youve got 3 settings on the Propedal, or you can leave it off if you want...I usually ride in setting 2 which climbs very well and has decent bounce downhill....

I dont think youll have lifetime warranty on the bearings, because they do sell them on their website, not to mention anyone that has a Blur talks about having to order them to replace them, as well as the parts to take them out/press them in...either way the labor is not free...

Youll be happy with either bike is my guess...I found a stupid good deal on my SL that I couldnt pass up, so that and the lack of routine maintenance was pretty much my decision maker when I was trying to make the same choice. The SL handles it all quite well with no compromise, and havent noticed any problems even though im not superlight myself (210#)

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    let me correct myself before someone else does...(you were right, and i was partially right)

"Santa Cruz also guarantees all pivot bearings for life, on all bike models, to the original owner. They offer free replacements in exchange for proof-of-purchase AND your old bearings. This offer is retroactive for all customers with all models.

You must cover the cost to get your bearings to Santa Cruz, but they will pay to send replacement bearings to you. However, Santa Cruz Bicycles will not be liable for any labor costs involved in swapping out the bearings. If you want to get your new bearings fast, include a description of your frame (size, model and serial number) and how long you had your bearings. We suggest that you buy one propack (bearing/hardware) or bearing kit in advance to avoid down time, then send in the old bearings to start the cycle. Please mail your bearings to the following address:

Santa Cruz Bicycles
    Attn: Bearing Replacement
    104 Bronson Street #22
    Santa Cruz, CA 95062"

---so bearings are covered, labor is not, and it may take them some time to get the new ones to you.

mtbr member
    I ride a BXC and love the bike. True that the SL is simpler in terms of maintenance. I put a mud guard/bra thingy for the bottom pivots and re-greasing the bottom pivot once a year isn't that bad. Some folks in my riding clan use the SL and find it a bit 'harsh'. Climbing is rather subjective, but I certainly like the plush-ness of the VPP.

Stay tuned for the new upgraded BXC.... however not sure when is the launch. BLT is out. You might wanna look into that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    New upgraded blurxc ?? I've had no wind of that till now. Any where that I can read up on the pre-production models/plans ? Haha that really got me up and alert. As of now, I'm quite drawn to the SL's longer travel fork capabilities and its low mainetenance/high value, however the blur has the draw of plushness. If the new BXC design allows me to slap on a longer travel fork, this debate will be over ! Any one has news on this development ?

I condsidered the BLT, but i do think its too much bike for me, and I'll never max out its capbilities. Plus I don't quite like the slack head angles on trail bikes, they just feel wierd to me.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have ridden all three (on local trails) the Blur XC the Blur LT (2007) and the SL, I chose the Blur LT only because they do not make a Blur XC in an XL frame size. That being said the Blur in my opinion is a better bike than the superlight.

My riding experience on the superlilght was that it had alot of pedal feedback especially on climbs and when out of the seat hammering on a straight away, where as the Blur XC and LT were much better with respect to pedal feedback. All three bikes were set up with an RP23 with the same pressure for my weight and all three had a fox fork up front set up to my weight. I am not saying that the SL is a bad bike, I am saying that for me the Blur is much better and performs better.

I have my 2007 Blur LT built light and use it as my XC Race/trail bike and it performs very very well, so my obvious recommendation would be to choose a Blur.

The maintenance is not that bad once per year you regrease and locktite the bearings and rears pivots - this is more preventative maintenance that you do at the beginning of the season.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Blur LT @ Co Cyclist

You should check out the deals @ Colorado Cyclist right now. I jsut got an e-mail for a 2008 Blur LT for $1045. Thats a pretty screamin deal if you are looking to build...

mtbr member

On Blur maintenance

Just a note on Blur maintenance from someone who has an original Blur (Classic) and a BLT1 while my wife has a BlurXC and a Juliana...the key to a happy Blur is NOT TO WASH IT. No hose, that is. Wait for the dirt to dry and then simply brush it off. If you need that new bike shine, then simply wipe down with a damp rag when you are done. I do 99% of my cleaning with a Park Tools grunge brush (gear brush?) and an old toothbrush. If you are concerned about pivot maintenance, there are a couple of really great threads in this forum on how to do it. Follow the instructions and do a tear-down/rebuild once a year and that should do it. I go a step further on my LT, prying off the seals from my sealed pivot bearings and stuffing in some fresh waterproof grease. Haven't had to replace a bearing in 3 years of all season riding here in the Inland Northwest. I cut my teeth on my original Blur, learning the hard way not to wash the bike and to check the bearings on a regular basis for smooth operation. Replaced several of those with the SCB bearing removal tool which works rather well. Finally, I don't think that VPP pivot/bearing maintenance is any worse than something like a Stumpjumper (FSR). They all take regular (read: yearly) maintenance to ensure smooth operation.

The new Blur LT (aka LT2) has an improved system for keeping out the crud as well as built in grease fittings on the lower bearings to keep things running smoothly. Look for this update to happen on the Blur XC sometime in the next year (SCB has not committed to a date yet). All that said, the wife's Juliana is somewhat simpler to maintain, but she definitely notices the difference between it and her BXC - the BlurXC is now her primary ride. Note that her Juliana (Superlight) is from before they redesigned it with the new swoopy swingarm, however.

What I like about the Blurs is that they really don't need much if any propedal to work properly. I've ridden bikes with propedal, including my BLT and Niner RIP9, and I find that a good suspension design doesn't need this band-aid. I don't like trading small bump compliance for better anti-bob performance. VPP seems like the best of both worlds to me. I never run propedal on any of my bikes and don't feel that I miss it at all. In fact, when I turn it on just for grins, it makes the bike feel a little "dead" to me. That's the promise of the dual-link bikes with VPP, DW-link, Maestro, etc., right? No pedal-induced suspension bob while maintaining small good small bump compliance. It really works. And the performance on square edge bumps is simply amazing.

You say trailbike and enduro. If you are thinking an all-day, do anything bike, then I think you should be looking at the new Blur LT. Re-designed suspension pivots to reduce maintenance, and more relaxed geometry for all-day comfort and down-hill confidence. Don't be fooled - the BLT climbs just fine and you never feel like you are wallowing in 5.5" of rear suspension, but it's there when you need it. That's the cool thing about VPP. Throw in an adjustable fork like the Fox TALAS and you have a very versatile ride.

Good luck in your search!

MTBmoose
    Spokane, WA

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

3 years on an old superlight

190 lbs and hammer hard for an aggressive XC wanker.
    At least 1000 hours of riding including 3 trips to mammoth,
    so far I've done zero frame or shock maint., zero squeeks, same bearings & bushings.
    I do avoid mud & streams when I can and never hose it down.

It's got a RP3 and doesn't bob much if at all when locked out while climbing.
    And it goes down hill just fine.

When in doubt buy the cheapest.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    wow, thanks for all the replies, they've been real useful. I haven't yet decided fully on which bike i'll go for, but when i do i'll be sure to post a pic of it ! But have to say the almost zero-maintenance and price of the SL is REALLY REALLY appealing to me coz i'm cheap and lazy haha. For now, i think i'm gonna try out both bikes to see which one i feel best on since i suppose feel will be subjective.

cheers on all the opinions guys, you've all been most helpful.

BBW
    mtbr member
    I hade a Sl in 2004-2006. Amazing bike, rode it hard and then move to a horst-link design.
    Sl is a very capable bike but if you do very steep terrain, the SL being single pivot will give you brakejack and pedal feedback (just when you brake in steep Downhills). I haven't ridden a Blur but the difference between single pivot and VPP must be quite alike.

ntj
    guidedbybicycles
    Rode a Blur ages ago and liked it, and it lead me to buy my 07 SL. I haven't been tempted by another bike since because the SL is fast, fun and it takes a beating.

As for pedal feedback, I fitted mine with 22/36 front rings (and a bash guard) after emailing Santa Cruz to find out which sized chain ring would have the least pedal feedback. Pedal feedback has never been an issue. I don't find it needs propedal either, I got an RP23 just so I could ride with it in the open position.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Interesting question: If the Blur XC was in the same price bracket than the SL, would there be more Blur riders than SL's?

I ride a Blur XC med. I very rarely use the Propedal on the RP 23. Climbing is excellent. Riding quality is better than anything I have experienced so far. (The "suspension creak" I had came from the seat post...) I chose it over the SL.
    BUT the SL is one of those classics and is one of the best.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    even if money werent an issue, id be happy with my SL...although in a perfect world id have about a dozen bikes...and prolly a blur lt and a SL

Natural body armor
    Price aside, it really depends on what you want.
    Are you going to race this bike? If weight and price is no problem then I'd go for the BLT

IMHO the Blur XC pedals way better than the SL and that goes for technical and steep climbs. I agree that ProPedal is pretty useless on this bike (save the extra $85 for the RP23) while I'd definitely want it on the SL.
    Other than that the bikes are pretty equivalent, the SL requires less maintenance and also can take longer travel forks (130mm?) while the BXC is limited to 100mm.

Having said that, they are both great bikes and you can't go wrong either way.
    ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Turtle
    Other than that the bikes are pretty equivalent, the SL requires less maintenance and also can take longer travel forks (130mm?) while the BXC is limited to 100mm. Having said that, they are both great bikes and you can't go wrong either way.
    ZT
    SC recomendation for SL is 120 max at front. I'm raiding SL, RS Reba team converted to 115 mm, rarely using ProPedal - on asfalt uphils and on flat sometimes. I gave a try of my friend's Blur XC before. I had some problems to feel a rear on up and down step parts which frightened me away a bit. Blur better flayed on flat and non so step DH IMO, it's not ride - it's flow trough terrain. Superlight hold an opinion to by the easiest bike to convert from HT. It's true

Just a punk in the street
    I too am in the market for a new bike. I have been leaning towards the SL. But I am considering the Blur and Nomad I have only been riding for three years and my knowledge and experience is limited. I love to climb and prefer longer rides. Mainly a xc rider. No drops, jumping or anything like that. Old man here.

Could someone try to explain to me the geometry differences between these bikes and what they mean? I am so confused.

You would think that if your going to fork out 4k+ for a bike that you could at least demo them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've ridden both and I like the Blur better. I am lazy and on a budget too so I got a frame from Ebay for 700 dollars and built it with my old components.

Anyway, the superlight NEEDS the RP23 to perform. On the Blur you dont need any propedal at all. The Blur climbs better than the superlight and has less pedal induced bob although the SL has a minimal amount too.

What are you looking for in a bike? there's really no better or worse, it just depends in what you are looking for and what kind of riding you do.

mtbr member
    I have ridden both. The Blur is way more plush IMO. It will require more maintenance from what I have heard. Try to ride both before deciding.
    Im actually thinking of getting a Blur XC also.

Smarter Than He Looks
    Would any of you that stated a preference for the SL have chosen the BXC if they were the same price?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast