mtbr member

From Superlight to Solo Question

I'm currently on a 2009 Superlight (love it), but am ready for the next level...The Solo.
    Not an agressive DH'er, just a 57 yr old weekend warrior who loves this sport. Yer' basic trail rider (Demo, Wilder, Grant Ranch, Stevens Canyon, etc). I consider myself a better than average climber though.

My question: Coming from a 71 degree HT angle to the slacker 68, might I notice some front end wander on steeper climbs?

I realize this is subjective, dependent on riding position, stem length etc. Just looking for some real-world feedback.

I'm 6'0, 180lbs with gear. My SL is a large.

Thanks y'all!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I've owned both the Superlight and the Blur TRc. There is a huge difference in the way these two bikes climb. I think that despite the slacker head angle, you'll enjoy the Solo more. The VPP2 is much more efficient and while the front may wander just a wee bit more, it won't be hugely noticeable. The downhill will be so much more fun, however, that the trade-off will be more than worth it! (My TRc was stolen last month and I've ordered the Solo to replace it, if that tells you anything. )

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by speckledtrout View Post
    I've owned both the Superlight and the Blur TRc. There is a huge difference in the way these two bikes climb. I think that despite the slacker head angle, you'll enjoy the Solo more. The VPP2 is much more efficient and while the front may wander just a wee bit more, it won't be hugely noticeable. The downhill will be so much more fun, however, that the trade-off will be more than worth it! (My TRc was stolen last month and I've ordered the Solo to replace it, if that tells you anything. )
    I hope my 650 converted SL will keep me happy and serve me well as I cannot afford a Solo.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    I hope my 650 converted SL will keep me happy and serve me well as I cannot afford a Solo.

Any bike we are lucky enough to play on serves us well.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by speckledtrout View Post
    Any bike we are lucky enough to play on serves us well.
    True. True.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glenj View Post

My question: Coming from a 71 degree HT angle to the slacker 68, might I notice some front end wander on steeper climbs?
    When I got my Nomad - 67 deg HT angle and 160mm fork I found it hard to climb steep stuff. Front wheel lifted and felt odd.

5yrs later I charge the steepest lines both up and down and I never think twice about that front wheel it just does what it's supposed to.

There may be an adjustment period...both in terms of how you climb as well as your position on the bike. Don't worry if you have issues you will sort them out, but don't hesitate to experiment with bike adjustments and technique adjustments.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Muchas gracias to all for your responses...just was I was looking for. Vik, great encouraging words! Trout, I'm looking forward to something other than a single pivot (not that it was bad, but I've heard good things about VPP).

Glen

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by glenj View Post
    Muchas gracias to all for your responses...just was I was looking for. Vik, great encouraging words! Trout, I'm looking forward to something other than a single pivot (not that it was bad, but I've heard good things about VPP).

Glen
    Love the passion you all have for riding I will my solo soon