mtbr member

superlight sizing help/question

sorry to bother everyone but I appreciate any input. I want to buy a superlight the problem is that where I live I have 3 shops that are an hour and a half - 2 hours away and they don't always carry superlight in the size that I think I need. I think that a medium will fit me but looking for some input from superlight owners. I'm 5 ft. 6 inches and my inseam is around 28 inches. I have a 15 + year old bike that is a medium that fits me perfectly and I have a 2005 rockhopper that is a size 15, which sometimes feels a little too small. I'm pretty sure I need a medium but every bike shop I call I get a different answer so I figure I would ask people who ride them. It would be real helpful if anyone on here had a small and to know their height and inseam compared to people riding a medium. Thanks so much sorry for making this post long.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Compare top tube lengths to your current bikes (taking stem length and bar rise into account).

mtbr member
    yeah I did do that, I actually measured my 15 + year old bike and then looked on the specialized site for the rockhopper measurements. The stumpjumper fsr in a medium is very comparable to my old bike that seems to fit really well, assuming I am measuring accurately. I think why I am second guessing myself a little is that I had a few places tell me that a medium would be way to big for me. so i wanted to see if there was anyone on here riding a medium in my size and if they had tried a small and found it too small.

mtbr member
    I just sold a sm. SC Superlight,after a few rides I should have gotten a med. I'm 5'6"-5'7" @ 160 lbs. But my biggest problem was the headangle,I got to were I couldn't ride without my wrist killing me.So I bought a new Bullit and my wrist problems went away. The sm/med start/end right @ your height I would suggest going w/ the med,but then again my inseam is a 30".try to find a shop that has both in stock and ride them.

mtbr member
    that is how i feel on my small rockhopper, i notice it a lot going up hills I feel hunched over my bike and I dont feel like that on my other bike that is a medium. I was thinking that even though my inseam is a little shorter than yours I can always drop the seat to compensate and than the rest of the bike I think would fit okay.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by qdawgg
    that is how i feel on my small rockhopper, i notice it a lot going up hills I feel hunched over my bike and I dont feel like that on my other bike that is a medium. I was thinking that even though my inseam is a little shorter than yours I can always drop the seat to compensate and than the rest of the bike I think would fit okay.
    I rode both but not long enough to really get the feel for either one,the sm. seemed to fit better,but as stated the medium would have done me better in the long run. But that dang steep headangle on either one was killing me.Crosscountry was all I knew,but ever since I got the Bullit there is no looking back.Not a long trailride bike,but haulin azz downhill is what I like now.. Good luck in your decision.

mtbr member
    i saw the picture of your new bike, thats the lime green right? that is the color that i want to order a superlight in -- that color is pretty sick

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by qdawgg
    i saw the picture of your new bike, thats the lime green right? that is the color that i want to order a superlight in -- that color is pretty sick

You are correct,I wasn't sure if I would like it,but since I've had it the color has grown on me.I think I'm gonna get the shock powdercoated blk. to get and even clean look.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm just about the same size as you 5'-6" 160 lbs, ~28in inseam. I have a '08 SL in medium. Had to go to a shorter (90mm) stem and now all is well. I also went with 175mm cranks and they are just fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsujin808
    I'm just about the same size as you 5'-6" 160 lbs, ~28in inseam. I have a '08 SL in medium. Had to go to a shorter (90mm) stem and now all is well. I also went with 175mm cranks and they are just fine.
    Did you get a chance to try a small? If you did, do you think the small would have been a little too small even if you change a few components?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I did get to try a small. My impression is that while it felt more "maneuverable" initially because of it's smaller size, on longer rides I felt I would be too cramped up. The medium definitely stretches you out a bit more. If your intention is to do a lot of XC, then the medium most likely will be more comfortable in the long run. The combination of a medium frame and a shorter stem worked out for me. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    that definitely helps -- i appreciate the info. the way you described the small frame is exactly how I feel right now on the small rockhopper i have. Feels perfect when i get on it but after a little riding I noticed that I feel a little cramped. I actually noticed it the most on a long uphill, I feel like a big fat guy on a moped -- I just feel crammed over the handlebars.

mtbr member
    don't know if this will help, but i just bought a superlight in Large. I'm 5'9" and the fit is perfect. i think you'd be good with the medium. may have to mess with stem height and length but frame size should be right.

good luck, i LOVE the bike!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I am 5'6 and bought a medium superlight a couple of months ago. Its a good fit, though I do prefer a slightly more stretched position compared to some people. I did put a 90mm stem on it. Its great for all round riding, but particularly good for climbing. No regrets with it at all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I am 5'6 with 30 in. inseam and just bought a medium superlight. I also have long arms so a medium is a good fit for me. I have 175 mm cranks and just put on a 90mm stem for better steering control.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm 5'11", yeah i know i can fit in M and L.

But the point is WTF should i do.
    I will certainly not race, i do alot of technical stuff through roots roots and more roots.
    So, whats your opinion. BTW i'm tired of the position i have on my 19" hardtail, it seems i need to strech too much and is not as comfy as i would like to be.

thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hi
    I am 5'4" and have ridden sc sl small. I ended up with 75mm stem and a riser bar and 170 mm arms.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ricacu
    I'm 5'11", yeah i know i can fit in M and L.

But the point is WTF should i do.
    I will certainly not race, i do alot of technical stuff through roots roots and more roots.
    So, whats your opinion. BTW i'm tired of the position i have on my 19" hardtail, it seems i need to strech too much and is not as comfy as i would like to be.

thanks
    I think you just answered your own question. Get the medium. I am 5'10" with a 30 inch inseam and the medium I have fits like a glove (not Oj's glove). if it feels too tight, get a set abck post or a longer stem or both......

RideMFRide
    www.crankskins.com

mtbr member
    well I bought a rental bike online without riding a medium frame first, I should have the bike next tuesday so we'll see how big of a dip sh_t/dumb_ss I am when I get the bike. I'll either say that I knew the bike would fit perfect or you'll never hear from me again because I'll be too embarrassed for not trying one first.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Also 5' 10" (sorry to hijack)

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoker
    I think you just answered your own question. Get the medium. I am 5'10" with a 30 inch inseam and the medium I have fits like a glove (not Oj's glove). if it feels too tight, get a set abck post or a longer stem or both......
    When you say 30 inseam is that pant size or the true inseam (book in crotch method). My inseam is 33.5 (32pants).

I'm in the same boat, dead center between M and L according to SC's chart. (is that based on a straight post and 100 mm stem?)

The local shop doesnt stock SC but will bring them in (Looking for a frame only).

I ride XC and trails, nothing too agressive

I've tried the fit systems on the Competitive Cyclist web site and it says I need a large,

I've also tried the fit system on the Wrench Science web site and it says I need a medium.

I'm currently on a 19.5" hard tail with a 24 TT (same as the large SL) with a setback and 100 mm stem which feels a little long at times.

Previously rode a 17.5" hardtail wih a 22.8" TT (slightly shorter than the Med SL) with a setback and 110 and 120 mm stem which was too cramped.

I'm leaning towards a Lg with a straight post and 100 mm stem but keep second guessing.

Assuming SC won't be offering a medium-large with a 23.5" TT any time soon can someone offer any help.

As an aside I noticed the bike builder on the SC Website is updated (new colors and forks) and offers the option of running a TALAS on the SL eventhough the FAQ still says anything over 120 will void the warranty. Anyone know if you can run the TALAS at 140 safely/without voiding warranty.
    The Dude Abides

mtbr member
    I KNEW THE BIKE WOULD FIT PERFECT --> I'm still a dipsh_t though for putting that much $ on the line if I was wrong. I got the bike yesterday, put it altogether and rode it around my house for like 10 minutes. It gets dark in the woods pretty early now in upstate NY so I got home too late to got out on the trails but wednesday i'll get a chance to take it out for a trail ride. I can tell just riding it around behind my house that the bike handles the way that I want it to -- feels a lot like a Diamond Back (when they weren't selling junk bikes) that I bought 15 years ago and still have; I've been trying to find a bike as close to that bike as possible for awhile now and I think I've got it. THANKS for everyones input, I really appreciate it!!!