mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Superlight Shock Placement

I'm sure many superlight owners know that carrying a water bottle on their superlight can be a bit of a hassle. The cage mount on the underside of the downtube is a bit hard to reach while on the fly, and the mount on the inside of the front triangle requires a small bottle that is a hassle to remove. With the placement of the shock, the propedal lever will sometime get clicked off when pulling the bottle out or putting it back in.

This weekend at a race I saw two other superlight owners and they both had their fox rp23 flipped 180 so that the "body" of the shock with the lever/valve were mounted to the rear portion of the frame leaving a ton of room for a large water bottle.

It sounds silly but can anybody confirm that mounting the shock this way is perfectly fine? I asked both these guys and they said it works the exact same. Seems silly to me that if it in fact did work the same that santa cruz would mount them that way from the factory to give lots of room for a cage/bottle. I just wanted to make sure I don't mess up the feel or the way the shock should work before going and flipping it on my own bike.

Thanks

tmp
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have my float r mounted that way, no difference in shock performance, do it.

Before flipping mine, I called Fox. Their tech guy said that I could mount the shock in any orientation. First, I mounted it with the lever pointed downward, but found it was difficult to reach. I flopped it over, so it's now on the rear, facing upward. It's easier to reach and it works perfectly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Awesome, exactly what i wanted to hear, thanks a lot.

Legend
    Nov 2004
    When they said "mount it in any orientation", did he mean it can face any direction or that you can make either side of the apparatus move with the suspension.

I am just questioning how well the shock can detect pedal-bob or whatever if the part that is designed not to move is moving and the part that is designed to move is stationary.