mtbr member
    May 2007

Superlight right for me?

I've been eying up two FS XC bikes lately, one being the Superlight and the other a Spec Epic Comp. Both just a tad over $2K with the superlight R package with a slight price advantage.

I'm 5'7(30" inseam) 135# and this is my first year MTBing. I picked up a used Klein HT, which I've quickly out grown. I need a bike that will smooth out the rocky terrain as I come home beaten from my HT. Right now I'm riding, half XC half trail, with rock and root gardens and the occasional 1-2foot drop, but would like to open the doors to more terrain. I want something that is LIGHT and can climb and pedal through the rocks.

How do you guys feel about the Superlight vs. epic?

Also, I'm getting mixed opinions on sizing (small or medium), thoughts? I'm mostly legs and feel i would probably fit on a small, unfortunately no LBS have one I can sit on.

Thx!
    Last edited by blantonator; 06-02-2007 at 04:06 PM.

mtbr member
    The epic is going to climb better due to the brain function and the fsr, but I think the superlight is going to feel better on the small bumps and chatter. Buy both new, def. The thing I understand about single pivots is that it's hard to find the sweet spot on your shock, so if you run the PSI low to absorb the small bumps, it will bottom out on the big ones, and vice versa. I ride a FSR bike, and although it carries more than an epic, the thing floats over the rocks and I even gap stairs 5 feet high on this thing without bottoming it out, btw, it does have the brain, too. I've been reading a lot about the superlights, and how they're so under-estimated, so I'm looking forward to see what others have to say on the sc board. Race day, I'd choose the epic. Trail riding, I'd go with the sl.

banned
    Apr 2004

I ride a medium SL, 2005

Quote Originally Posted by blantonator
    I've been eying up two FS XC bikes lately, one being the Superlight and the other a Spec Epic Comp. Both just a tad over $2K with the superlight R package with a slight price advantage.

I'm 5'7(30" inseam) 135# and this is my first year MTBing. I picked up a used Klein HT, which I've quickly out grown. I need a bike that will smooth out the rocky terrain as I come home beaten from my HT. Right now I'm riding, half XC half trail, with rock and root gardens and the occasional 1-2foot drop, but would like to open the doors to more terrain. I want something that is LIGHT and can climb and pedal through the rocks.

How do you guys feel about the Superlight vs. epic?

Also, I'm getting mixed opinions on sizing (small or medium), thoughts? I'm mostly legs and feel i would probably fit on a small, unfortunately no LBS have one I can sit on.

Thx!
    at 185lbs and 5' 9'' with a 31" inseam it fits perfect.

When I purchased it in 2004 I was also looking for a good climbing FS to smooth out the bumps. My rides consist of grinder climbs in my quest for moderate to nasty single track descents.
    I was worried about the climbing ability of the SL coming off a 23LB hardtail but my SL at 25.5 lbs with a RP3 rear shock climbs great, not quite as good as my hardtail but still an excellent climber and the down hills are much faster and smoother with way less beating and way less oh sh!t moments.

Members who have read this thread: 0