mtbr member

superlight need the rp23

looking at buying a superlight probably with the rxc build, but all of the 2008 "deals" that I have found on new bikes have the float r on the back. Most of these shops that are close to me (2 + hours close) aren't willing to or can't put the rp23 on the bike for the $95 or whatever the amount is from santa cruz. If I were to buy a superlight would the float r work well enough going uphills that I could put off having to buy an rp23 for a little while, or even send the float r to Push and get a propedal added. Any info from riders with experience with either shock would be great -- Appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    eBay

mtbr member
    yeah -- but even the rp23 on ebay is still more than I want to pay right now after buying a bike.

mtbr member
    I've been riding the float r (07 SL) for 2 seasons now & can feel the preset propedal working on climbs, roots and out of the saddle. I have thought about going for the rp23 but continue putting the money in other upgrades. Maybe I just don't know what I'm missing, interested in finding out what others think

mtbr member
    well I had a friend of mine just switch his float r for the rp23 on his cannondale rush and he said that the only real difference is the ability to lock the shock out with the lever. But I was reading a post on the forum where someone mentioned that the superlight is no good with the float r and you need the rp23. I would have posted on that topic but it wasn't what the topic was about and I didn't want to butt in

Bring on the Funk!
    Mar 2007
    Have raced my Superlight a few times. You NEED the RP23. The bike climbs ok with ProPedal off, but the minute you flight the switch it's a rocket on the climbs. Spend the $95 and have fun.

mtbr member
    I was also thinking that I if I got the float r I could send it to push industries and get the propedal added for I think $150. Has anyone done this to the float r

kerryjchinn
    I have an 07 SL with Float R shock. Perhaps in years prior to 07 the R did not have built-in propedal, but it does from 07 on (at least on the SL). So the only difference between the RP23 and Float R with internal propedal is that you can't adjust the propedal setting. You can't turn it off entirely and you can't lock out the shock.

The Float R that comes on 07's and 08's operates the same as if you had an RP23, set the propedal to 1 and never changed it. If you want to play around with the settings get the RP23, if not get the R.

Personally, I can't detect any pedal bob with the R. Although I must admit, it would be nice to turn off the propedal on technical terrain.
    Last edited by kerryjchinn; 09-29-2008 at 11:10 AM.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    I would look at it like this. The upgrade to the RP23 is $95 (not sure why shops won't work with you for this, I think mine did it on my 07 for $80) and a new RP23 will set you back $350. I would pay the $95 or whatever extra and if you still want to spend the extra to have it pushed, do this to the RP23. This way you won't spend the rest of your life guessing if you made the right decision. If it's within your pricepoint, do it!

That being said, I have always had the RP23. From what I hear the reduction in bob is pretty huge when compaired to the other.

I would make me mental to if I had not gotten the upgrade and I thought about it all the time. I would always think, "maybe my bike would handle or climb better."

mtbr member
    Seems weird that none of the shops are willing to order the RP23 for you. While it may not be a great monetary gain for the lbs, it shows me how much they care about customer service and how willing they are to go the extra mile to make you happy.

I bought my heckler a couple of months ago and they let me take the float R on the bike for 2 weeks until the RP23 showed up. Upgrade was $71. I was quite impressed with the R on the heckler, not nearly as much bob as I expected, but am happy I got the RP23.

Good Luck with yours.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmack
    I would make me mental to if I had not gotten the upgrade and I thought about it all the time. I would always think, "maybe my bike would handle or climb better."
    Hey -- you sound like me I think I found a bike with the RP23 so hopefully everything has taken care of itself. Thanks for the responses and information.

mtbr member
    well the decision is finally made -- getting a superlight with the rp23, decided to look around more and just find one with it already on the bike. I should see the bike next tuesday, being shipped from out of state. thanks for the help and info. -- made me realize not to settle on something that was just short of what I wanted.
    Last edited by qdawgg; 10-01-2008 at 04:17 AM.

Legend
    Nov 2004
    23 is nice; turn it off on the downhills, or the open flats that are bumpy ... back on for the clumbs / smoother stuff. In endurance races, I play with the 1-2-3 setting as well.