Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Superlight Love

mtbr member
    May 2007
    from the picture above, does that mean the F100 Knob hit the downtube?

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Cleaned up thread by deleting posts with broken photo links.

mtbr member

Here it is:

My sweet baby!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Love my 05 SL

mtbr member
    May 2005

07 SL w/125 Fork?

Can anyone who has a 07 SL w/125mm fork post a side on photo and give a mini review on 100mm V's 125mm fork.

mtbr member

Fox 100/120/140

Here are 3 pics of my 07 SL with the fork set at 100 then 120 then 140.

My local riding is steep and long up then steep down. I typically climb in 100 and often locked out. The lockout does not matter much on the climb. I descend at 120. Rarely use the 140, but may do so at a location such as Moab or some of the rocky sections of Downieville where I think the extra travel is needed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

06 1x9

Here's my 06. it's been a sweet ride, coming in between 24 and 25lbs depending on tires, best drivetrain that shifts ever (i'm not strong enough to ride my ss anymore), and the frame has been tough.

I just recieved my 07 frame, though. it seemed they fixed the minor things that bugged me (cable routing that cut my knees, extra flex, rear tire clearance, etc....), so i'm working on the new 1x9 black beauty. i'll post pics when it's done (hopefully fathers day).

cheers,
    Last edited by holiday; 06-09-2007 at 10:21 AM. Reason: title

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

my new superlight

07 small liquid blue, the Revelation set at 115 mm works fine
    Last edited by boobee; 06-10-2007 at 07:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

hmmm,not sure I shouldn't go for a 80mm fork instead of the 100mm

but: great ride
    The Quebeco-Flandrien in B.C....

SC SuperLight

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AmosIv
    My sweet baby!
    nice picture though it gives me vertigo

Mt Wilson Motoboy

The wife's new superlight!

Here's my wife's new 07 Superlight. What a great bike! She hasn't ridden in about ten years so it's great to see her riding again. The new swingarm design is really nice with plenty of room for fat tires and the replaceable derailer hanger is a plus. I think Santa Cruz did us all a solid with this re-design. The thing handles super nice (69.5 degree head angle). OK, so the D kit isn't all that... but the off the shelf price ain't bad either.
    "My people are the people of the dessert!"
    said T.E. Lawrence picking up his fork...

Hud
    Singletrack minded

Finally...

Here's a couple of pics one pre ride one post first ride.
    I had some dramas with some extreme ghost shifting under suspension comression-hard pedal load. Turned out the gear cables were too short. Fingers crossed the next ride will be fine.
    Other than that - loved it!

mtbr member
    May 2007

New Superlight DXC

I bought my SL with a DXC kit at Guy's Bicycles near Philadelphia, Pa (they had one or two in stock when I left). Yesterday I went out on my first hardcore run on the bike. The frame and suspension performed flawlessly. I did have some issues with ghost shifting like the above poster mentioned, and I bent my rotor and rotor mount on a rock. I'll replace my rotor and mount and fiddle with my derailleur some and the bike should be ready to rock and roll. Here's some pics of the SL not in its natural habitat.

The blue ano is amazing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

2007 black beauty

So, just finished my latest SL.
    i also included the last one, now built for friend.

the new one is a 1x9, and the only shimano parts are the pedals.

stans rims, x 0, formula, ready to role.

the geometry seems like it will work now that i put a 80mm x 15 degree stem.
    it was too long otherwize, but now I love it. will it be as good as the old one?

we'll see.

cheers,

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

23.9 pound large and sweet 07 SL

a.k.a. BicycleKicks

Makes me want to run out and buy one, but there are none!

Quote Originally Posted by Tricone
    That is soooooper nice. Maybe you can make it 23.8lbs with a skinnier saddle

Every time someone posts a SL with an ultimate build like that, I want to run out and buy one... but you can't hardly find any frames available, especially in a particular size and color combo... RATS!

I dunno, but sooner or later I can tell I'll end up on a SL . Sell me yours??
    I read that on the internet.

a.k.a. BicycleKicks

This is my imitation Superlight

Quote Originally Posted by Tricone
    Is it legal to post this pic here? I guess it would sort of blend in. This is my "imitation" Superlight... a 2004 Haro XLS R7... I like it a lot, but the new SL is just sooooo awesome.

Compare and contrast...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

haro

nice pics,
    I havn't weighed my blk one yet, but I think it's going to 24.5 or so,
    I have a 2.55 weirwolf LT up front that's heavy, and I used formulo oro k24's, that are bit heavier then the xtr's on my previous SL that came in at 24.25, but everything else is light and of course, no front shifter or derailer.

nice Haro pic, I had a Haro werx XLS between my first 2 SL's and it was my first geared bike in 5 years. i enjoyed it, but went back to the SL for weight and wheelbase reasons. the SL frame is lighter and the XLS had a very long wheelbase that was cumbersome in many of my favorite tech climbs...

you can get SL's at colorado cyclist. I read all this availablity stuff, wanted a l blk frame (powder so I could pull the stickers) and they had it in stock at CC. I ordered it and got it in a week.

I'm writing a full review of my 07 vs. my 06 and will post in the next day or so. i usually don't post here or anywhere much, but i got good info here during this decision and build and wanted to give back a bit...

cheers,
    Last edited by holiday; 06-30-2007 at 04:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

The weight of a built-up '07 SL

Quote Originally Posted by holiday
    nice pics,
    I havn't weighed my blk one yet, but I think it's going to 24.5 or so,
    I have a 2.55 weirwolf LT up front that's heavy, and I used formulo oro k24's, that are bit heavier then the xtr's on my previous SL that came in at 2.25, but everything else is light and of course, no front shifter or derailer.

nice Haro pic, I had a Haro werx XLS between my first 2 SL's and it was my first geared bike in 5 years. i enjoyed it, but went back to the SL for weight and wheelbase reasons. the SL frame is lighter and the XLS had a very long wheelbase that was cumbersome in many of my favorite tech climbs...

you can get SL's at colorado cyclist. I read all this availablity stuff, wanted a l blk frame (powder so I could pull the stickers) and they had it in stock at CC. I ordered it and got it in a week.

I'm writing a full review of my 07 vs. my 06 and will post in the next day or so. i usually don't post here or anywhere much, but i got good info here during this decision and build and wanted to give back a bit...

cheers,
    When I built up my medium I weighed it with really light xc tires (Supersonics) and no pedals. It was 24.5 lbs. Now that I've got some gnarlier tires on it and pedals and bottle cages it's about 26.15 lbs (yes, I have an accurate digital scale). If you can build yours up with beefy enough tires for your trails and pedals and it's still 24.5 lbs--good for you! Got some pics--frame weight, bike as described weight--trust me, the front wheel is not touching the carpet!
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yep,
    I loose weight by not having a front derailer, shifter or cable, and stans no tubes olympic rims and of course, no tubes, is very light. i don't see what wheelset you have, but olympics are substantially less then most wheelsets. It also has all xo, so it looks like a non discript blk bike, but it's pretty gucci .

nice pics

by the way, i posted a first impression of my 07vs06 in it's own thread.

cheers,

mtbr member
    Mmmm I'm thinking of getting an 07 Superlight. Does anyone know how well they run with 80mm forks on the front?
    NZ mountainbiking online --> www.vorb.org.nz

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Superlight XL from Poland

I've finally had my SL built It's an XL frame and the bike weighs 11.95 kg. I'm going to race it a little bit, so I went for the straight handlebar with bar ends.

we have fossils, we win
    Just ordered ...... XL SL R in orange or white. I couldn't tell which color was faster so we'll have to see which one gets here first.

So now the wait begins. LBS said 3-6 weeks and we both laughed.

Dave

Mt Wilson Motoboy

S***ty

Get at least 100mm. REBA Team U turn w/85~115 is super slick.
    "My people are the people of the dessert!"
    said T.E. Lawrence picking up his fork...

"so pitted"
    Loving the new ride (SL 07...Thanks Willie). Pushed Fork (130 with the right amount of sag to stop front wheel wallowing) and Rocco Air in the Rear. Rides so good. 2.5 tire up front to keep things really fun and 2.1 in the rear to keep things precise. Get Awesome!

a.k.a. BicycleKicks

This is my REAL Superlight !

Quote Originally Posted by 40hills
    Is it legal to post this pic here? I guess it would sort of blend in. This is my "imitation" Superlight... a 2004 Haro XLS R7... I like it a lot, but the new SL is just sooooo awesome.

Compare and contrast...
    I did it... bought a Superlight! Mostly the same parts from the Haro pictured above, with the exception of the seatpost, headset, and bottom bracket (using Shimano bearings now instead of the Race Face). I LOVE IT
    Last edited by 40hills; 07-30-2007 at 08:52 AM. Reason: added race pic

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Have had her since May now, best bike i've owned. I'm in Love

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    That's what I've narrowed it down to myself.Orange or white.Super tough,cause they all look killer.I make my choice next spring.

mtbr member
    Nice color. Just got it and already raced with it? Nice!

mtbr member

Maybe this will help you with youre decision.

Quote Originally Posted by whattree?
    That's what I've narrowed it down to myself.Orange or white.Super tough,cause they all look killer.I make my choice next spring.
    I'm partial to Orange but the White is sweet as well.

dcubed
    A year in the life of a superlight...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by desmo13
    A year in the life of a superlight...

I see that you have done some races on the tora fork....how does it do?

Also I see on the geometry list that it has a low BB height compared to Trek and Spec. Does anyone have problems with pedals hitting the ground and stuff?

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    Quote Originally Posted by LosingSleep
    Just ordered ...... XL SL R in orange or white. I couldn't tell which color was faster so we'll have to see which one gets here first.

So now the wait begins. LBS said 3-6 weeks and we both laughed.

Dave

I got a white one, you wont regret it!

06 SL

banned
    I guess I should add my new SL to the collection. I finished building it three days ago. XT build with an LX Crank. Avid BB7 brakes and levers. RP23 shock. RS Recon 351 fork. Weight 26.7lbs.
    Last edited by SNPete; 08-24-2007 at 08:20 AM.

Is my rear tire flat?

2 Superlights Here......

Hers: 2006 PC Orange Juliana Superlight medium. XT build with RP3 and RockShox Reba Fork. 26 lbs

His: 2006 Ano Grey Superlight large. XTR build with RP3 and Fox F100 RL. 27 lbs

We love these bikes as they are perfect for our types of riding. We also use the lockout on the RP3's for those extended climbs. I have owned a Blur and it was nice but the simplicity and reliabilty of the single pivot design made me switch.

db
    Liberty Lake Wa.

RSK
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Photo Op

Photo is a few years old 2001 Team Speedy Mail, all on Santa Cruz..Nothing better than riding in Alaska....Still riding hard on the Superlight and haven't found anything better.

RSK

mtbr member

With updated swing arm. Just threw on a new powder coat finish and fresh parts for this season. This is what I typically use for my daily ride...27.68 lbs.

Handles very well but may switch out the rear shock for something else. The PUSH'ed Float R that is currently installed doesn't seem as plush or responsive as the Cane Creek AD-12 I use to run. Too harsh over the small stutter bumps. I'm running 115 psi for my 165 lb arse with 13-14 mm of sag...don't really want to bottom all the time so that's about as low as I can get away with. Not sure if I should switch out the canister to a high-volume air sleeve (larger style) or try the Manitou 3-way I just bought from SC as a back up.

Anyway, nice riding rig that handles most of what I can dish out.

mtbr member

98' Classic...

Heckler. Okay, so it's not a SL but it is the original design! This one is original paint but mostly modern parts (minus the WB SC-90 fork/w Englund Air cartridges). The Fox RP-3 is also PUSHed but seems to work fine for this build/intended purpose (Opted out of the PUSH sticker treatment and put the stock Fox stickers back on).

What makes this ride a real beaut is the Dave's Speed Dreams wheel build...weight comes in at a hair under 25 lbs, which is pretty darn good considering it's the older frame design/material.

we have fossils, we win
    My SL showed up a couple weeks ago with 08 components.

Last edited by LosingSleep; 08-24-2007 at 05:37 AM.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by whattree?
    If I were you, I make the choice and order now to insure delivery by next spring.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I love my SC
    This bike rocks

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    My 07 SL.

This bike is just awesome.

Jonee loves...
    Jul 2007
    angelo, is that an 08' fork? how much was the full bike...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Nope that is an 07 float. I 've paid 2000 euro's for frame, fork and some small stuff like handlebar, stem,...

mtbr member
    Was hesitant to change from my hardtail, but I've not looked back since. I'm faster and more confident as a result, Thanks SC

mtbr member
    the pic

" width="549">

mtbr member
    This bike looks real Hot! My Cuz just picked up a 2006 SL and is having it put together as we speak. He is moving from a HT that had good components, but a not so good frame. He was fast then. I think he is about to be a little faster, once he gets the feel of his SL.
    Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Here's mine.

Got tired of chasing bushings and bearings on my ano blue, full XTR '04 Blur; recently found a deal on a nice ano blue '01 SL in the correct size; parts swap went fine. The SL is a fun bike.

mtbr member

Now I need to get her dirty!

mtbr member
    Here is is another photo of rear suspension:

Took it on a 7.5 mile trail ride this morning before work. Absolutely love the geometry. Shifting was a little rough and the suspension isn't quite dialed in yet, but I've got high hopes.

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast