Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Superlight Love

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    no joke nice bike dood

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Tough having that sweet bike waiting

by the front door and no riding to be had. How tall are you? I'm 5'9" and was planning on running a 105 or 110 mm stem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

stem length

I'm 5'9 and running the 90mm stem with the ten degree rise. This will hopefully feel great.....we'll see, I've always run a 100-110 mm stem but a few buddies on XC'sh bikes told me to give it a shot, especially since at 5'9 we can get away with it.

mtbr member

2007 Hybrid

Here are some shots of my 2007 front triangle, 2005 rear triangle Superlight. The front has the longer top tube of the new 2007's while the rear is the old school swingarm. right now with pedals and somewhat heavy tires it is 25.9 lbs. I am still getting used to the handling of the new frame after spending 6 years on the old one. I have finally settled on a 110mm stem. Now if the weather would cooperate I can get a good ride in.
    Here is a build list:
    Spinergy Cyclone Disk wheelset
    WTB 2.14 Motoraptor front tire
    Bontrager Revolt rear tire
    Ritchey WCS stem
    FSA K-force carbon bar
    Easton CT-2 seatpost
    Terry Fly seat
    2007 Fox F100RLC fork
    Pushed RP3 Fox shock
    XTR 8 speed drivetrain
    Avid BB7 brakes
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by santacruzer; 02-05-2007 at 05:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I'm surprised

Quote Originally Posted by santacruzer
    Here are some shots of my 2007 front triangle, 2005 rear triangle Superlight. The front has the longer top tube of the new 2007's while the rear is the old school swingarm. right now with pedals and somewhat heavy tires it is 25.9 lbs. I am still getting used to the handling of the new frame after spending 6 years on the old one. I have finally settled on a 110mm stem. Now if the weather would cooperate I can get a good ride in.
    Here is a build list:
    Spinergy Cyclone Disk wheelset
    WTB 2.14 Motoraptor front tire
    Bontrager Revolt rear tire
    Ritchey WCS stem
    FSA K-force carbon bar
    Easton CT-2 seatpost
    Terry Fly seat
    2007 Fox F100RLC fork
    Pushed RP3 Fox shock
    XTR 8 speed drivetrain
    Avid BB7 brakes

Nothing like a little carbon, aluminium and titanium on the front of a Superlight
    that your front triangle hooked up with the "new" pivot design. I don't own a previous model SL--just what is different about the '07 pivot? I have BB7s and XTR 8 speed going on my new frame, too. At the moment it's just a dream. Funny how everyone's comprehensive testing of the '07 is being held up by weather. Anybody out in California have a test we can read about?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Sorry.........

That is NOT an 07' front triangle. 07's have ALL cables routed under the top-tube.
    - With the exception of the rear der. cable of course.

On another note : I'm in Ca. and have 3 07' SL's in stock. They're nice, Lighter, Stiffer, Stronger as SCB intended it to be.
    - Only bummer is they didn't think about "facing" the rear disc tabs.... With the new Drop-out it's not possible to get to the lower tab
    with the Magura tool. Heckler's should have the same issue because the design is pretty much the same. It WOULD be nice if they
    would just do it from the factory.
    Last edited by DMFT; 02-03-2007 at 08:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT
    That is NOT an 07' front triangle. 07's have ALL cables routed under the top-tube.
    I'm aware that the cable routing doesn't look like the new one, but the top tube is longer than my old one and it handles differently. I even looked at a brand new late 2006 model and the cable routing is different than that. So who knows? I've been riding this one for a month or so and like it so far.

boomer

On another note : I'm in Ca. and have 3 07' SL's in stock. They're nice, Lighter, Stiffer, Stronger as SCB intended it to be.
    - Only bummer is they didn't think about "facing" the rear disc tabs.... With the new Drop-out it's not possible to get to the lower tab
    with the Magura tool. Heckler's should have the same issue because the design is pretty much the same. It WOULD be nice if they
    I'm sure that if he got that front triangle in 2007 then it is a 2007! We all know that SC DOES NOT DO MODEL YEARS! He may not have the latest model of Superlight but he does have a 2007 Superlight front triangle!

Right?
    Calvin

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

So-let me get this straight

If santacruzer measures his top tube and it is 1/2" longer than his previous top tube it's an '07? Not that it matters to me but maybe Santa Cruz went through some kinda testing phase and he got some one-off that'll be worth a fortune some day! However, since you've brought up the "facing" issue with the rear disc tabs (something none of us would have considered till it was indeed a problem) any other info you could give us wannabe SL owners would be greatly appreciated before we build up our for-sure '07 frames. Like, is this facing issue an issue with BB7s?:

And what the heck are you doing with frames in stock when the rest of us are sitting next to our phones waiting for a call from our LBS that our frame is in????
    Last edited by xcguy; 02-03-2007 at 04:24 PM. Reason: need a smiling face

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by santacruzer
    I'm aware that the cable routing doesn't look like the new one, but the top tube is longer than my old one and it handles differently. I even looked at a brand new late 2006 model and the cable routing is different than that. So who knows? I've been riding this one for a month or so and like it so far.
    - Where did you measure from in regards to TT length? And you did mention you "settled on a diff. stem length (in regards to the handling). New Fork, is it diff. from your last one?
    Lastly, I hope I would notice the diff. being a dealer n' all.
    What matters is you're back on your bike! - Which looks nice by the way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    If santacruzer measures his top tube and it is 1/2" longer than his previous top tube it's an '07? Not that it matters to me but maybe Santa Cruz went through some kinda testing phase and he got some one-off that'll be worth a fortune some day! However, since you've brought up the "facing" issue with the rear disc tabs (something none of us would have considered till it was indeed a problem) any other info you could give us wannabe SL owners would be greatly appreciated before we build up our for-sure '07 frames. Like, is this facing issue an issue with BB7s?:

And what the heck are you doing with frames in stock when the rest of us are sitting next to our phones waiting for a call from our LBS that our frame is in????

- It will not affect AVID users so much. It will make adjustment not quite as easy as it should be and in a very rare case may limit the range of adjustability of the caliper.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

What you got in stock?

- It will not affect AVID users so much. It will make adjustment not quite as easy as it should be and in a very rare case may limit the range of adjustability of the caliper.
    Where's your store and what 2007 SLs do you have onhand. Or is that info off limits to post in this forum? If it is, could you pm me? I have a medium ano RP23 frame on order but I can just see me waiting and waiting and waiting. If I got one earlier from someone else it's for sure my LBS could sell "my" frame when it came in to another rider. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

my new xc rig

Large 07 with a 07 fox float120 (OE fork from another bike brand) king wheel set, juciy carbons and mostly XT. I love the slacker head angle that the fork gives and the longer top tube is nice. The factory propedal on the float R (rear shock) is really good. I had planed on taking care of valving first thing but its pretty much spot on. Cheers!

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    How tall are you m-dub? That seat post seems to be well up. (I'm 6'2 and I'm trying to figure what size I need.)
    It's pretty depressing to hear about the long wait time, how much longer for me in Australia?
    It's good to see real life pics of the two anodized frame colours.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Hud
    How tall are you m-dub? That seat post seems to be well up. (I'm 6'2 and I'm trying to figure what size I need.)
    It's pretty depressing to hear about the long wait time, how much longer for me in Australia?
    It's good to see real life pics of the two anodized frame colours.
    Im 6'2" and have a 35" inseam. I push the size range of the Large but like my bikes to be on the smaller side. The XL is just too long in the top tube for my liking. It really feels good. I only have a few rides in but I haven't thought about the bike once, which to me means its right. Good luck, they are worth the wait.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    From Spain

dcubed
    Rockville (Bay area CA)
    06' superlight

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    some more supalight love...

mtbr member

07 SL Medium

Sure is fun to ride!!!

Plenty of rear tire room compared to pre-07
    Stiff rear triangle
    Pedals great
    Sreamer on the descents

mtbr member

Just picked-up my 07 Superlight!

Here are photos of my new liquid blue bike! Tomorrow morning I will go for my first trail ride! Thanks for all the inspirational photos and comments that led to my purchase.

boomer
    That first photo looks like it belongs in Playboy! Nice bike!!!
    Calvin

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by jpatkinson
    Here are photos of my new liquid blue bike! Tomorrow morning I will go for my first trail ride! Thanks for all the inspirational photos and comments that led to my purchase.

What's the build and what's your previous bike? Tell us all about your first test drive of this beauty.

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    you wont regret it JP!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Beautiful bike

mtbr member

First ride was fantastic!

I took the bike out today on a 14 mile loop through the Marin Headlands: probably not the best terrain for this bike, but I know the route and wanted to compare this ride to the four bikes I had previously tested on this loop. The weather was perfect, but there were some seriously muddy spots ... one of which had me half-way to the hubs under mud/water. Horrible for the trail [absolutely no choice], but I didn't fall down.

Fire road descents on this were just okay: nothing like the SIR9, but equal to the RUSH and the Racer-X, from what I could tell. This bike won't let me out of the saddle on the steepest climbs, as the rear wheel immediately loses traction. I don't know what this says about the bike, the rider, or both ... but I found out that I didn't actually need to get out of the saddle to climb hills on this bike! The seat -- WTB Rocket V -- isn't very good. I may need to upgrade.

I think I may regret a late night sticker-removing frenzy last night. I have already ordered the replacement stickers from SC. I definitely like the shocks better with the Fox advert removed, though. The suspension was perfect: there is absolutely NO pedal bob, but the ability of the suspension to smooth out the bumps and help me navigate a rocky, steep, descent was great. I am a total newbie to FS, but I have no regrets on this purchse!

I love this bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Them '07 SL's are turning me into a green eyed monsta ... Looks like SCB did an excellent facelift for the single pivot. I am happy (not!) for you guys who've got the '07s. Here's a picture of my '05 SL (one of the last frames to be made in USA). I'm still in love with my ride, glad to see this thread getting a new breadth of life!

mtbr member

2006 Sl

Here is my 2006 SL. Absolutely love it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hello from Austria/Europe. I found this Thread and thought i must post my Superlight.

Frame: SantaCruz Superlight 06
    fork: Rock Shox Reba Team Air U-Turn
    wheels: DT 340 disc VR+HR Naben, XR 4,2d Felgen
    RooX S 4.1 Seatpost
    RooX DBS Cross Comp XC
    RooX Dannys MXC Stem
    saddle: "Selle Italia" SLR Gel Flow, Rot
    XT crankset. HT II
    Kassette XT
    trigger XT
    front d. XT
    rear d. XTR
    brake: Avid Juicy Seven 185mm 2007
    headset: Chris King No Thread Set black
    ergon Race Grip Men MR1
    pedals: Time ATAC XS
    Specialized Carbon bottle holder

i hope you like it!

Fireball in the Night
    Quote Originally Posted by jpatkinson
    I love this bike!
    Hey, man, nice shot!
    everyone drives a Used Car

Gravity is cool.
    Here's mine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    i try other pictures:

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro
    About 3 weeks old! Built from an 02' frame.

Built up for general trail duty.

A Joy to ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by jas_hill
    Only had 'Kermit' for a couple weeks but loved every ride. Got the frame as the Blur XC I ordered wasn't going to make it in time for the TransRockies. Count Stylie (the NZ importer) gave me this XL Apple Green beauty to use for the race. All I can say was that it was a magic bike that had no problems, climbed incredibly well and decended like a champ. I just hope the Blur XC will match the high benchmark set by Kermit!
    you guys thought it was only twins right? well they're triplets
    here's my '03 SL with Race Face cranks, Mavic Crossland, Juicy Carbon, monkey lite, Sram X.9 Drivetrain (recently move to Sram, and loving it) SL, Maxxis Tubeless and few other goodies.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have a SantaCruz Superlight that was purchased in '02. It's probably been ridden less than 10 miles, I mean, seriously unused. Where's the best place to sell this bike? Any ideas on what it's worth. It has shimano XT components except for LX pedal cranks. Thanks for any help, as you might be able to tell, I'm not that into this sport!! Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm3ten
    I have a SantaCruz Superlight that was purchased in '02. It's probably been ridden less than 10 miles, I mean, seriously unused. Where's the best place to sell this bike? Any ideas on what it's worth. It has shimano XT components except for LX pedal cranks. Thanks for any help, as you might be able to tell, I'm not that into this sport!! Thanks again.
    Try the MTBR Classifieds, else eBay would be another good option. Good luck.

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    06 Superlight Reddick/Razorback Florida

mtbr member

Good job! Got my new '07 Superlight

I love this bike!
    Check my blog for more shots.
    http://glenalpineepicadventures.blogspot.com/

mtbr member

Good job! Got my new '07 Superlight

I love this bike!

mtbr member

Here is more of the love

This bike is great!

mtbr member
    May 2006

Here is my girls '06 SL (juliana) & my '01 SL too

Got a great deal on the '06 Ano-gold frame, swapped a few parts from her '02 duke blue and then upgraded the rest from there. She loves it!

The other is my '01 SL. The Nomad on the rack is mine as well. Lot's of Santa Cruz LOVE at this household.
    Last edited by mudlover71; 06-27-2008 at 05:51 PM.

mtbr member

I love my new Superlight

And I cant quit taking pictures of it.

mtbr member
    Here's my '00. Recently broke it down, repolished and clearcoated it. I need to get me some action shots though. I went thru many bikes before I got this one, just can't let it go.

Built it up myself with:
    XT shifters/lever combo
    XTR rd and cassette (8sd)
    Race Face cranks (Isis)
    Chris King hubs mounted on Mavic 517's
    Fox Vanilla 100R fork
    Avid 7" mechanicals

It's and oldie, but a goodie. I have never had one issue with this frame and it has been through a lot.
    '00 SC Superlight
    yeah, it's 8 spd...

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by AmosIv
    I love this bike!
    Check my blog for more shots.
    Awesome bike... even more awesome riding!

Whoa there on the headset spacers! 5???!!! Ever considered a higher rise stem and/or riser bar?
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member

where is the love?

come on now.... show your SL a little love while resting!

mtbr member
    I dont think my wife will enjoy sharing the bed, but I will try to show my SL that kind of love. Those CA trails look like a lot of fun. The womans picture on your profile still has me seeing cross eyed - this is weird.

mtbr member
    Thanks and very observative. I asked the guy at the bike shop put those in since I can always take some away but needing to add in later would be an issue. I'm going to take some out after a while in an attempt to find the height I like the most then maybe get a corresponding riser stem or bars. Thanks for the suggestion.

mtbr member
    The bike is one fun ride on the trails, so it's always dirty now. Got kicked right outta bed before ever having a chance.

It could be time to change that pic. still makes my eyes hurt too....

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Superlight & old Heckler shock info
    Superlight & old Heckler shock info

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Now I love superlights!!

mtbr member

superlight lovin

After waiting over six months for my preordered superlight to arrive in the uk , I finally got to ride her on Sunday in the Peak district National park , /wow was it worth the wait , you bet super plush superlight super responsive super climber , I am well pleased, Only problem now is the wife had a ride , and wants to change her 2006 Juliana for a 2007 version now. Ohh well I better start saving again

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Here's some pics of my '07--I hope

On a recent trip to Moab:

The last two kind of duplicate themselves but...enjoy anyway.
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:15 AM.

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast