mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Superlight Love-p4pb11104366.jpg
    The Flandrien in Québec...

12 Santa Cruz SuperLight
    00 Trek 7000 SS winter bike

mtbr member
    May 2014
    New 2015 Superlight is posted on the Santa Cruz website.

Santa Cruz Superlight

Interesting approach for 2015 - Small and Medium are 27.5 and Large and XL are 29er. Also gone is the Fox 32 in this years line up replaced with the Rock Shox Recon Gold 120.

Both kits get an upgraded rear derailleur, 2x Chain rings, and SRAM Hubs (only front was SRAM before). Shifters on the R kit downgraded from SLX to Deore.

Not a bad build, still happy with my '14 R-kit build Large. being just shy of 5-10, I was torn between the M and the L. I'm guessing the M with 27.5 and L with 29 will make riding and sizing even more of a challenge/decision now for those right in between sizing.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Wow, those 2015's look nice. They brought this out a week too late and in the wrong size - I have been thinking for a year that if Santa Cruz made a 27.5 Superlight I would buy it. But I bought a 2013 frame last week to convert to 27.5, and I ride a large so I still couldn't get 27.5 if I bought a 2015 model.

Interesting that even Santa Cruz sell the poor Superlight short - right there on the Superlight page it says:
    "Want to take your riding to the next level? Perhaps consider the multi-award-winning Tallboy"
    Next level schmext level - what a load of baloney. I've ridden all sorts of fancy "next level" bikes during the past few years and none of them beat any of the three Superlights I've had. And I mean "beat" - I've done time trials on all of them. Plus teh Superlight is just as much fun, or more.
    They should say "Want to take your maintenance to the next level? Try the......"
    Last edited by goog64; 06-24-2014 at 08:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goog64 View Post
    Wow, those 2015's look nice. They brought this out a week too late and in the wrong size - I have been thinking for a year that if Santa Cruz made a 27.5 Superlight I would buy it. But I bought a 2013 frame last week to convert to 27.5, and I ride a large so I still couldn't get 27.5 if I bought a 2015 model.

Interesting that even Santa Cruz sell the poor Superlight short - right there on the Superlight page it says:
    "Want to take your riding to the next level? Perhaps consider the multi-award-winning Tallboy"
    Next level schmext level - what a load of baloney. I've ridden all sorts of fancy "next level" bikes during the past few years and none of them beat any of the three Superlights I've had. And I mean "beat" - I've done time trials on all of them.
    They should say "Want to take your maintenance to the next level? Try the......"
    Did you consider a Bantam? Looks a lot like a 27.5 Superlight. 1 inch more travel and 1 degree slacker head angle. Pretty nice single pivot bike.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Did you consider a Bantam? Looks a lot like a 27.5 Superlight. 1 inch more travel and 1 degree slacker head angle. Pretty nice single pivot bike.
    Yes, but I'm a bit of a weight weenie cross country guy, so I ruled it out. I think I'll be very happy with my converted 26er.

trail stalker
    Jul 2012
    The Pricepoint of the Superlight and simplicity in suspension design is the draw for alot of people. $1095 is the cheapest proven name brand 650b you will find. I like where they went with this and just sent a link to a buddy that was looking for a 650b dual frame with more options for tires than his conversion.
    I was going to go with the Tallboy, but it came down to cost. At the pricepoint you can build a SL rig with better components (than the website builds) for less money with research. I have ridden a single pivot in the CO mountains and it did great, not worried about the 120/100 travel. There were people mountain riding on rigid hardtails back in the day, its more about skill level.

I really like my 14' M as a 29er. It responds the same as my 650b Rush did, with a couple benefits. For the record, I am 5'8 3/4" tall.

mtbr member

My new SL650b

Picked up the v3.3 frame from the SC sales site. Most parts are off another bike. The pic is after its shakedown ride. The results were great. I really like the single pivot suspension. I have had a VPP bike (SC Solo)and for whatever reason, I prefer the feel of the single pivot design.

Superlight Love-photo-1-.jpg
    2013 Santa Cruz Solo C
    2013 Santa Cruz Chameleon 650b SS
    2012 Giant Defy (Roadie)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What tires on that beauty?

mtbr member
    What tires on that beauty?
    They are all beauties in this thread but in case you were talking about mine... :-)

Pacenti Neo Moto's. 2.3 Front and 2.1 Rear.
    2013 Santa Cruz Solo C
    2012 Giant Defy (Roadie)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sandyeggo View Post
    They are all beauties in this thread but in case you were talking about my mine... :-)

Pacenti Neo Moto's. 2.3 Front and 2.1 Rear.
    Yes, thanks, I was talking about yours.
    Will the 2.3 also fit the rear?

mtbr member
    Yes, thanks, I was talking about yours.
    Will the 2.3 also fit the rear?
    I haven't tried the 2.3 in the rear yet. I've always gone with the 2.3/2.1 combo on my 650b bikes. I'll post back if I try it, though.
    2013 Santa Cruz Solo C
    2012 Giant Defy (Roadie)

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Sandyeggo, what's the weight on that sexy build? I want!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xBONGx View Post
    Sandyeggo, what's the weight on that sexy build? I want!

One thing about the Superlight is it isn't super light. I also don't have the lightest build. :-) She weighs in around 27.5 pounds but rides much lighter than that (if that makes any sense).

Build:
    SL 3.3 Medium
    RS Revelation
    650b Stan's Crest with X-9 hubs and Pacenti Neo Motos (2.3/2.1)
    1 x 10 drivetrain with Wolftooth chainring
    SLX cranks/BB
    SLX rear derailleur
    XT brakes (180/160)
    Raceface cockpit and seatpost
    WTB Volt seat
    spank spike flat pedals
    2013 Santa Cruz Solo C
    2012 Giant Defy (Roadie)

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks for the breakdown sandyeggo. 27.5lbs is not bad.

just ride
    Oct 2006
    Nice build! I had Blur LT and I too prefer the feel of a Single Pivot SC. I had Superlight and currently own a Nickel. Thinking of getting the Bantam but we'll see...

Picked up the v3.3 frame from the SC sales site. Most parts are off another bike. The pic is after its shakedown ride. The results were great. I really like the single pivot suspension. I have had a VPP bike (SC Solo)and for whatever reason, I prefer the feel of the single pivot design.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (1).JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	165.9 KB 
ID:	904752

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjay View Post
    Nice build! I had Blur LT and I too prefer the feel of a Single Pivot SC. I had Superlight and currently own a Nickel. Thinking of getting the Bantam but we'll see...
    Thanks Tjay. I thought for sure I would be in the minority of those who preferred the SP frames.

The Bantam would be a nice ride!
    Last edited by sandyeggo; 07-13-2014 at 04:48 PM.
    2013 Santa Cruz Solo C
    2012 Giant Defy (Roadie)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks Tjay. I though for sure I would be in the minority of those who preferred the SP frames.
    I've been riding single pivot Santa Cruz bikes since 1997. Every few years I get caught up in the marketing hype about "new" bikes and their fantastic suspension designs. And every time I've been disappointed and returned to my wonderful single pivot.

mtbr member
    I've been riding single pivot Santa Cruz bikes since 1997. Every few years I get caught up in the marketing hype about "new" bikes and their fantastic suspension designs. And every time I've been disappointed and returned to my wonderful single pivot.
    2013 Santa Cruz Solo C
    2012 Giant Defy (Roadie)

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Anyone in south cali (im in glendale,Ca) have a small or medium frame I can sit on?
    Looking to get a frame just want to get a feel of the size difference before.

DHMTBR.com
    I started in 2006 with a stock Superlight 2.0 and last year decided that I needed to upgrade the old bike to something a bit newer and more current. I picked up a 3.2 frame during their super sale and did a frame swap. I kept the drivetrain (XT 3/9) but change the rear shock (2014 CTD), the brakes to 2014 Shimano XT, the wheels (Shimane XT Tubeless) and just last month added a Fox D.O.S.S. Drop Seatpost and a Fox Factory CTD (2015) front fork. Have been dialing in the new fork - but yesterday was totally happy with it's performance and ripped up some Colorado Downhill Mountains! See photos.

Superlight Love-img_0989.jpgSuperlight Love-img_2380.jpgSuperlight Love-img_2744.jpgSuperlight Love-img_2752.jpgSuperlight Love-img_2830-edit.jpgSuperlight Love-img_3052.jpgSuperlight Love-img_3077e.jpgSuperlight Love-img_3100.jpgSuperlight Love-img_3106.jpgSuperlight Love-img_3257.jpgSuperlight Love-img_3260.jpgSuperlight Love-img_3272.jpg
    Regards,
    Chris Sgaraglino

Yup, follow me on Google+
    https://plus.google.com/+ChrisSgaraglino

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Nice pictures

mtbr member

Superlight Love

Great bike and great pics!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    You guys making me want to order a frame.

What affect does the head angle have when using the SL 3.3 frame with 650b wheels and 120mm fork? I'm a new rider so I don't think I will feel a difference but I have those parts on my current bike and would like to switch them over.

Also for you guys with a medium frame, how is the stand over? I'm about 5'8 and inseam is 29-30 max. Would a medium still be good? My current bike is a hard tail jamis medium and my nuts sit right on the top tube.

DHMTBR.com
    I'm 5'8" with a 30-32 inseam and prefer the small frame - The RED frame in the photos as actually a medium and I felt out of place in it, so when I bought the white - I went with the small and I love it.

Let me caveat that with this: I started racing DH in the mid 90's and though I don't race any more, I have always preferred a ride that I can freely maneuver underneath me. This SC is my all-around bike, but I also have a Giant Reign X1 setup for All Mountain and DH that is also a Small Frame.

If there is any opportunity to ride them both at a local bike shop before you buy - you might want to go that route first.
    Regards,
    Chris Sgaraglino

Yup, follow me on Google+
    https://plus.google.com/+ChrisSgaraglino

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks for the reply. I've only tried the medium bantam and the top tube is just as high as my current bike. But arm length felt great. i visited 2 lbs but they don't have a small to try out. Santa cruz doesn't have a small frame for sale so I guess I'll have to wait. Sucks, I want a SL.

Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 LastLast