Page 38 of 43 FirstFirst ... 28 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast

Thread: Superlight Love

CDK
    mtbr member
    Yes I definitely do need to trim the hoses bad!
    To me the stickers are kinda hard on the eyes and after only a couple of rides on trails in the phoenix area they were already all messed up from rocks so off they came.
    I do not have access to a scale to weigh it but it is not too heavy at all.
    I will be trying a little smaller of a rear tire when this ones done. The vigilante Is pretty awesome but is also pretty big so a smaller tire would for sure help with clearance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm thinking of going with a 2013 SL 29er.
    Can anyone compare the ride with the Stumpjumper FSR 29er?

Just Ride!
    Wondering if there is going to be room in the rear of a Superlight 29er for the new Mid-Fat or 27.5+ tire standard that WTB is working on? If so I may have to consider if for a quiver killer with two wheelsets. Maybe a typical 2.25" 29er for all round summer bike and a floaty Mid-Fat for winter or sand duties.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Anyone seen the 2014 Superlight in the R XC build? Its on the sc website, but I have not seen in shops or online.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Seen one and own one! I picked it up on Friday.

Great bike, I test rode in blue but it was gone by the time I made up my mind, so ended up with a white. I did two shortish rides on it this past weekend (3 miles and 6 miles) and really love it. It rides so much different than my 1995 Kona Explosif Hard tail.

Can't wait to do some more trails on it over the upcoming weekends.

They are in some of the stores in the Bay Area.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    BTW Competitive Cycle has a great deal on an XT build of the Superlight right now - last years frame/fork/shock and different wheel set than the 2014's, but you get XT components. I was really tempted on this but had already committed to my 2014 and got a pretty good deal on it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kustomz View Post
    Wondering if there is going to be room in the rear of a Superlight 29er for the new Mid-Fat or 27.5+ tire standard that WTB is working on? If so I may have to consider if for a quiver killer with two wheelsets. Maybe a typical 2.25" 29er for all round summer bike and a floaty Mid-Fat for winter or sand duties.
    That is a great question. One I would love to know the answer to as well.

mtbr member
    GF's Superlight - pretty much finished now.

mtbr member

Superlight Love

Quote Originally Posted by akaBrowntown View Post
    GF's Superlight - pretty much finished now.
    Nice! Love the color, don't see many the same color as mine.

@CigarsNJeeps

mtbr member
    +1 on the color choice. You guys have good taste! Playing around with my first clipless pedals... I think I may be a convert.
    Superlight Love-20140604_114333.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    My main ride. 2001 front frame and shock. Everything else is 2006. I've been wanting to switch to 1x10 for a while. I also wanted to do a 650b conversion. I have finally decided to leave the bike the way it is. I love it and she is fast, nimble and fun. It will stay a 1x9/26" forever and I will ride that frame into the ground before I upgrade. Lots of love!

Superlight Love-2014-06-08-07.31.22.jpg

Superlight Love-2014-06-08-07.31.28.jpg

Superlight Love-2014-06-08-07.31.46.jpg

Hi There!
    ^^Nice!^^
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

SL or Blur XC 1st edition?

I have already a SL 2008-9 (?) set up as 1x10 and converted to 650B as my XC go to bike... however I saw a Blur XC 1st edition for sale and it's mint... will it be a candidate for a parts transplant 120 mm fork and 650B ties and all??? anyone tried if they fit the mid size(27.5) tires? thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudforlunch View Post
    2004 Superlight - Anodized root beer. Bought used in 2009, to this day I still ride it more than any of my other bikes. During non-winter months it gets 60-80 miles a week on it, average. I replace parts as they break. Only original components left from when I bought it are the headset, handlebar, seatpost, stem, and brakes.

Attachment 886593
    Nice bike! Mine is a 2002 and I'm the original owner. The only original parts are the rear cog (I'm amazed or don't recall replacing it) and the brake levers.
    Superlight Love-20140525_135240.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matw View Post
    My main ride. 2001 front frame and shock. Everything else is 2006. I've been wanting to switch to 1x10 for a while. I also wanted to do a 650b conversion. I have finally decided to leave the bike the way it is. I love it and she is fast, nimble and fun. It will stay a 1x9/26" forever and I will ride that frame into the ground before I upgrade. Lots of love!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-06-08 07.31.22.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	272.3 KB 
ID:	899676
    How long ago did you change out the rear triangle? Did you notice a difference in the suspension with the updated design? I read that they made that design change because the original triangle without that "bevel" near the shock mount caused the air shock to ramp up too much, since it was originally the Heckler design which used a coil shock (more linear).

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm not the original owner. I know the rear frame is from 2006. Sorry I can't answer your question.

mtbr member
    I just joined the club and finished my build a couple nights ago. I snagged one of the sale 3.2 frames in XL and really like it! I transferred over the parts from my hardtail and it's around 23.3 lbs.

So far I'm loving it! I've been riding a hardtail for a long time and it's nice to not get beat up from all the bumps.

Superlight Love-djg_44111.jpg

mtbr member
    23 pound FS bike. Sweet!

Is Santa Cruz still selling old Superlight 26er frames?

Or does that just look like a 26er because its an XL?

mtbr member
    There are a few clearance ones left on their website. Limited colors and sizes though.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Uh-Oh....!
    Yeah, there are some left - I just bought one 2 hours ago. Large green 3.3.
    But now I'm worried. In my excitement, while I'm waiting, I've been reading this entire thread, and back in 2011 somebody wrote that he was disappointed that he bought a new SL because it wouldn't fit a 36T middle chainring.
    What?? I ride 1 x 9 with a 38T front (located in the middle chainring position). Am I in trouble? Will my 38T chainring in the middle postion really not fit my new frame?

Please somebody put me out of my misery about the chainring size. I can't imagine what it would rub on? It can't be the chainstays? Is the post-2007 suspension pivot a lot wider than my old models?

(I bought my first Superlight in 1997 (except back then it was called a Heckler, which has now of course morphed into more of an AM bike). Then in 2002 I got a 1998 Superlight ("still called Heckler"), and then last year I got a real Superlight - a 2004 model (I've made it a wonderful 23 lb). I still have my 1998 and 2004 models and they're awesome, but I want to go 650b and I read that the post-2007 models have more tire clearance and are laterally stiffer. (Plus after 17 years of 2nd hand bikes, I would really like to try a new one - especially since they are on SALE.) So, as I said, I just bought one and it was a huge decision, and now I'm worried.)
    Last edited by goog64; 06-17-2014 at 03:16 PM.

mtbr member
    38 is a pretty big middle, and a pretty big ring for a 1X set up.
    I don't know if there is room for your 38 or not. I'm sure you could get it to work somehow. Worst case is you would mount it in the big ring position.

Looking at pictures in this thread of 1X set ups, a 32T ring is pretty far from the pivot, which is the only place I can see it rubbing, so, I also have trouble picturing that you would have a clearance issue.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    38 is a pretty big middle........................................... Worst case is you would mount it in the big ring position.

Looking at pictures in this thread of 1X set ups, a 32T ring is pretty far from the pivot, which is the only place I can see it rubbing, so, I also have trouble picturing that you would have a clearance issue.
    I have been looking at all those photos too, plus an hour searching Google images to try and see if it would fit, but I can't tell.
    I sure hope someone can weigh in here with a definitive answer. Please?

(I rode single speed on my Superlights for many years, so the 38T with a rear cassette still seems like cheating. (But it's nice.))

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Props for riding 38T! I'm on a 32 in a 1x9 and hoping to go 34 next season.

Would it be a problem for you to mount it in the big ring position?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by matw View Post
    Props for riding 38T! I'm on a 32 in a 1x9 and hoping to go 34 next season.

Would it be a problem for you to mount it in the big ring position?
    One of the reasons I was a single speeder was for the efficiency (including the perfectly straight chainline). That, plus being mildly obsessive, means it would be tough for me to have it in the big ring position.
    I already try to avoid using the biggest cogs at the back because I just cringe when I look down and see the angle of that chain!!

(As for riding 38T, the biggest climb around here is only about 400 vertical feet, so thanks for the props but it's not very hard.)

trail stalker
    Jul 2012
    Superlight Love-boom.jpgSuperlight Love-candy.jpg

Bought my frame a couple months back. Ive been riding a 650b'd Rush for awhile. As my riding progressed I began experiencing pedal kickback. Pre conversion I never had it. Other than that I LOVED my Rush's. Well, I ended up deciding to change bikes. The choices were Kona's new 650b, a used Specialized Camber, a used SC Tallboy 2 (used decently already), or a SC Superlight 29. I wasnt sold on 29er Koolaid and was skeptical. Being 5'8" and change- I had issues being able to "toss" 29ers that I had tried. Found a last years model in my size to test....and was sold! Ordered a new frame that day!
    The SL29 climbs just as good as my 650b Rush did, seems to roll alot faster as well as smoother, and surprisingly does not turn like a 63 ford galaxie! I also have no issues getting pump and lift on little jumps and no pedal kickback. Im running a tapered 120mm Fox with CTD along with 15mm thru up front to add a little stiffness. The weight isnt race light, but you dont notice while riding. Love this bike!!

Page 38 of 43 FirstFirst ... 28 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast