Page 32 of 43 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 42 ... LastLast

Thread: Superlight Love

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Pondhopper View Post
    Hey guys, I'm on the same journey. I rented a superlight in co and loved it. Found the cheap 26" wheel frame online from Santa Cruz direct... What a deal! This will be my first bike build and I'm really excited. One big question, did you go with the 100 mm front shock or the 120mm? I have a old trek 4900 that received a recall on the rock shock Judy 80mm and the bike shop replaced it with a 100mm, and it totally screwed up the climbs. The front end was way light. I assume the 100 or 120 mm will work about the same since santa cruxes recommends either.
    100 on the SL racey, still racey just more cushy with the 120!
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TAOS1 View Post
    I'd like to convert this SL to 650b/27.5

I know others have with the SL's, but was wondering about this 2005 model. I researched other threads to try and find an answer, but did not see anything on this older one.

Anyone help me out with some information....I know I'll need a new fork (running an old Rockshox Hyracoil 100....would I need a Fox? 2008 or older?

also obviously need a new wheelset/disc brakes. Anyone have experience with the China made carbon ones off the bay?

Appreciate any help in advance!
    There is a thread around here somewhere from someone who did this. IIRC he had to remove the rear seatstay brace and he had to modify the rear shock by installing some kind of spacer to reduce rear travel. If you don't do this the back tire hits the seat tube under rear compression.
    The guy liked his mod, but to me it isn't worth it. Didn't you just get that bike? Sometimes people like to fck with their bikes just for the sake of change, not because it actually needs anything. I'm guilty of this as well.

rubber side down
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    There is a thread around here somewhere from someone who did this. IIRC he had to remove the rear seatstay brace and he had to modify the rear shock by installing some kind of spacer to reduce rear travel. If you don't do this the back tire hits the seat tube under rear compression.
    The guy liked his mod, but to me it isn't worth it. Didn't you just get that bike? Sometimes people like to fck with their bikes just for the sake of change, not because it actually needs anything. I'm guilty of this as well.
    Thanks for the reply! I figured I'd need to mod the rear a bit.....I'll have to search for that thread..... Yes the bike is new, but I'm needing a new fork and wanted to convert to disc since I'm sick of always f'ing with my v brakes. I do like to to fk with my stuff tho....Kinda geek on it. Plus I've been hearing nothing but positive responses from the 27.5 crews...

I think this must be the thread you were talking about?
    650b Upgrades: Santa Cruz Superlight

I'm gonna do it
    TAOS on pinkbike

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I saw a video of a German guy describing a hardtail that they put 650b on the rear and 29r on front for more torque and rollover ability. Considering doing that on the sl but with 26 on rear any 650 up front. Will make headtube a little slacker. Thoughts on mismatched wheel sizes?

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by brownc9 View Post
    I saw a video of a German guy describing a hardtail that they put 650b on the rear and 29r on front for more torque and rollover ability. Considering doing that on the sl but with 26 on rear any 650 up front. Will make headtube a little slacker. Thoughts on mismatched wheel sizes?
    Where have you been? That's been done for years..... Called a B6r. Yes it will slacken abit. Give you same excelleration with a tad more front end rollover.

mtbr member
    I think this must be the thread you were talking about?
    650b Upgrades: Santa Cruz Superlight

I'm gonna do it
    Yep that's the one let us know how it goes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Superlight Love-santa-cruz-.jpgWhat do you think this bike is worth? I am looking into getting back in mtn biking.

Info from ad.
    This is a 2012 Santa Cruz superlight 26 inch in excellent condition. The bike is always stored inside and cleaned after every ride. The front fork is a Xfusion 120mm with remote lock out. Rear shock is a Fox RP2 120mm. Shfters are SLX 3x10. Tires are EXiwolf and are setup tubeless, they are in excellent conditon. This is a 19 inch or large frame. I'm 6ft and it fits me perfect, should be good for anyone 5'10" to 6'1".

Said he will take $1000 no less.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Seems like a good deal to me. I'm building a similar bike and am well above a grand in it. If big question is how good a shape it the front shock. Take it for a good test run if you can!

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by impulse2010 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	santa cruz .jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	841350What do you think this bike is worth? I am looking into getting back in mtn biking.

Info from ad.
    This is a 2012 Santa Cruz superlight 26 inch in excellent condition. The bike is always stored inside and cleaned after every ride. The front fork is a Xfusion 120mm with remote lock out. Rear shock is a Fox RP2 120mm. Shfters are SLX 3x10. Tires are EXiwolf and are setup tubeless, they are in excellent conditon. This is a 19 inch or large frame. I'm 6ft and it fits me perfect, should be good for anyone 5'10" to 6'1".

That's a pretty good deal. Probably retailed for $1600.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Seems like a good deal to me. I'm building a similar bike and am well above a grand in it. If big question is how good a shape it the front shock. Take it for a good test run if you can!
    he said i could even have the old shock also. He upgraded for the remote lock out. I didn't want to throw down 1 grand yet, but i priced entry lvl name brand bikes and out the door they will run $600+

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by impulse2010 View Post

Name:	santa cruz .jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	841350What do you think this bike is worth? I am looking into getting back in mtn biking.

Info from ad.

Rear travel is 100 mm not 120.

rubber side down
    Yep that's the one let us know how it goes.

I will, I just popped on a Fox Talas off the bay (100mm-140mm). I think I'll do the front conversion first...mainly due to $. I'll still need a front 27.5 wheel/tire and a front disc. I should be up and running 27.5 front 26 rear by Thanks giving.....
    TAOS on pinkbike

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by brownc9 View Post
    Check out Liteville Bikes. They make some interesting bikes..different wheel combos based on bike size..

mtbr member
    I will, I just popped on a Fox Talas off the bay (100mm-140mm). I think I'll do the front conversion first...mainly due to $. I'll still need a front 27.5 wheel/tire and a front disc. I should be up and running 27.5 front 26 rear by Thanks giving.....
    I have a 90-110-130 Talas on my superlight and its a great match. I only use the 130 for bombing downhill however. It makes the bike a little too slack and floppy for general riding IMO.
    Your 140 will really slack it out, and then consider a bigger front wheel as well, that might be pushing it a bit too far. But if you are going to go 650B front and back then the wheels won't effect the head angle.
    Just something to keep in mind when you are running 27/26

NedwannaB
    I have a 90-110-130 Talas on my superlight and its a great match. I only use the 130 for bombing downhill however. It makes the bike a little too slack and floppy for general riding IMO.
    Your 140 will really slack it out, and then consider a bigger front wheel as well, that might be pushing it a bit too far. But if you are going to go 650B front and back then the wheels won't effect the head angle.
    26 or 27.5 wheels and warranty aside, the guy should drop the tech a quick question on the SC site about running a 130-140 fork on the SL. I'm sure there's a little over engineering on frames but that's stretching abit too far out if you ask me.

rubber side down
    Good info! Knowing me, I'll end up doing it all at once anyway and after reading this, it looks like I'll have to.

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    26 or 27.5 wheels and warranty aside, the guy should drop the tech a quick question on the SC site about running a 130-140 fork on the SL. I'm sure there's a little over engineering on frames but that's stretching abit too far out if you ask me.
    I know the travel is a little aggressive for the bike, I'll most likely run it in the 100mm/125mm most of the time....I like hitting bigger stuff..hell, it it doesn't workout the way I think it will, I'll start looking for a used blur frame

Thanks for comments/advice!
    TAOS on pinkbike

NedwannaB
    Good info! Knowing me, I'll end up doing it all at once anyway and after reading this, it looks like I'll have to.

I know the travel is a little aggressive for the bike, I'll most likely run it in the 100mm/125mm most of the time....I like hitting bigger stuff..hell, it it doesn't workout the way I think it will, I'll start looking for a used blur frame

Thanks for comments/advice!
    Main point is to think about carnage if the head tube snaps off while you're hitting some of that gnar stuff you mentioned. To quote Lance, "Notttt good".....

JKA
    mtbr member
    Superlight Love-mtb.jpg

Like this?

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by JKA View Post

Name:	mtb.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	842544

Like this?
    Or yeah, that too!

NedwannaB
    Hey guys, I'm on the same journey. I rented a superlight in co and loved it. Found the cheap 26" wheel frame online from Santa Cruz direct... What a deal! This will be my first bike build and I'm really excited. One big question, did you go with the 100 mm front shock or the 120mm? I have a old trek 4900 that received a recall on the rock shock Judy 80mm and the bike shop replaced it with a 100mm, and it totally screwed up the climbs. The front end was way light. I assume the 100 or 120 mm will work about the same since santa cruxes recommends either.
    I've split the middle and put a 110mm fork on mine since I'm running 650b/27.5 wheels and didn't want to jack up the BB height much more.

If you're running 26" wheels and do more than simple smooth single track I'd get the 120. Most can be adjusted nowadays and you can always drop it down if it feels too slack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Well, Sierra Green Superlight 3.3 26'er received yesterday and built up. Looks great and is about half a pound lighter than my Whyte E-120 carbon (with all the kit swapped over). Pics to follow when i sort the headset!

rubber side down
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Or yeah, that too!
    Maybe I'll stick with the 26ers
    TAOS on pinkbike

NedwannaB
    Just stay ~120mm on fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    OK, i give in, any ideas for headsets for an SC tapered head tube? I ordered one and the bottom race is waaaay too big (56mm) i need a 49mm but don't know if i need external or integrated.

CC
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bish View Post
    OK, i give in, any ideas for headsets for an SC tapered head tube? I ordered one and the bottom race is waaaay too big (56mm) i need a 49mm but don't know if i need external or integrated.
    Works Components - 1 0 Degree EC34 EC49 Tapered Steerer Tube Headset e g Yeti ASR

Page 32 of 43 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 42 ... LastLast