Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 41 ... LastLast

Thread: Superlight Love

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by TAOS1 View Post
    So I'm a LONG time GT mtb rider....I was nervous buying the Superlight ^ and was hoping I'd be happy....well I'm STOKED! SC knows how to make a bike! This is the best bike I've ridden. Handles perfect....quick in the turns, climbs with ease and handles great in the air!

I will be a Santa Cruz rider for life! Thanks SC for knowing what you're doing!
    Cool. It's weird, I have a Superlight 29 and I get so many people asking about it; how do you like it, how does it ride, etc. Not saying that people don't ask about other bikes, but so many people want to hear about the single pivot.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Very cool article!

-I have a 2001 which was apparently the last year they were made in the USA (I've got the sticker, which is cool!)
    -They also say the first gen bikes like mine are the only ones compatible with air or coil shocks. I always wondered how a coil would do on mine, as the air shock ramps up pretty quickly at the end of travel. I might have to try that.
    -I wonder why they would say that the first disc brake models were compatible with 160mm rotors max? that doesn't make sense to me, unless there is a clearance issue fitting a larger adapter (never tried, but there doesn't look to be a clearance issue).

I thought this quote interesting:

With the relative size of bikes becoming smaller here on the Shore, and the trend towards more pedally rides, we are seeing more bikes like the Superlight pop up again locally
    Even though my Superlight is my second bike now, I still love taking it out. It is light and efficient enough to replace a hardtail, and also acts like a capable trail bike. With my 90-130 Talas on it, it is very versatile. It does a lot of things well.
    -

rubber side down
    From what I've read, they moved production to Taiwan in or around 2005. My SL has the "made in USA" sticker as well. I'm sure mine is not a 2001....I dunno?

I'm glad I read that about the rear shock too, I was thinking of upgrading mine and now I know not to go for coil...

That quote is strange.....but I agree, the SL is a pleasure to ride. I need to take about 2 pounds off mine tho
    TAOS on pinkbike

mtbr member
    From what I've read, they moved production to Taiwan in or around 2005. My SL has the "made in USA" sticker as well. I'm sure mine is not a 2001....I dunno?
    Your bike year is 2002-2006 based on the swingarm style. I don't know how to tell the exact model year. I think the serial number could have that info. Are the first 2 digits of your serial number something like 03 or 04 etc?

IIRC correctly the change to version 2 actually happened in the middle of 2002, so both styles were made that year.

The article says the switch to Taiwan happened in 2002, but it may have been a gradual switch, with production happening in both places for a while. So it doesn't surprise me that there are version 2 SL's that were made in USA, but I would think they would have to be the earlier model years.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brownc9 View Post
    Attachment 834900

Question I have is headset. Seems like a Cane Creek for about 75-80 bucks to go with the tapered headtube, Anyone have a link to the exact model that fits this bad boy?

STOKED!
    This is what ive just ordered for a similar frame build with a 1-1/8 fork with tapered headtube:
    Universal Cycles -- Cane Creek 40 ZS44/EC49/30 1 1/8" Tapered Headset - Fits 1 1/8" Forks

rubber side down
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Your bike year is 2002-2006 based on the swingarm style. I don't know how to tell the exact model year. I think the serial number could have that info. Are the first 2 digits of your serial number something like 03 or 04 etc?

IIRC correctly the change to version 2 actually happened in the middle of 2002, so both styles were made that year.

The article says the switch to Taiwan happened in 2002, but it may have been a gradual switch, with production happening in both places for a while. So it doesn't surprise me that there are version 2 SL's that were made in USA, but I would think they would have to be the earlier model years.
    Thanks for the info! I was hoping the serial # would help, like in GT's..... Mine is "A50332271" So maybe a 2003? I was told it was an 05....doesn't matter to me, I just geek out on sh*t like that.....
    TAOS on pinkbike

mtbr member
    Almost there!

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by akaBrowntown View Post
    Almost there!
    You're a little farther along than me. Mine's sitting identical, sans brakes!

Did you get a sale frame off their online store too?
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info! I was hoping the serial # would help, like in GT's..... Mine is "A50332271" So maybe a 2003? I was told it was an 05....doesn't matter to me, I just geek out on sh*t like that.....
    My serial number is 2KZBH02011. I'm pretty sure it is a 2001 model. I see no pattern in the serial numbers. Maybe the year info isn't even in there. If your year is the 4th or 5th digit, mine isn't, because my 4th and 5th digits are both letters.

mtbr member
    Yeah, what a great deal. Its actually replacing my GF's old epic, which had a blown "brain" shock that needed to be replaced and was going to cost around 450-500 from Specialized.

Only thing it is waiting on now is a new brake line and to install crankset/derailleurs.

NedwannaB
    I'm running 650b wheels on mine so haven't figured out if I'm going 2x or 1x crank set for more tire clearance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    I'm running 650b wheels on mine so haven't figured out if I'm going 2x or 1x crank set for more tire clearance.
    Please report back with what you decide. I'm looking to order rims in the next week and start building them. Lots of hype on the 650b but I don't want to go to excessive lengths to make them fit.

mtbr member

V 3.3 Geometry

The 26" Superlight is no longer on the website and am looking for the geo numbers for the 3.3 frames they have on sale. Is it the same as the geo numbers below? This is from the UK SC website and is the 2010 model year.

Superlight Love-superlight-geo.jpg

mtbr member
    I know the V3.3 headset is now tapered but just want to confirm the TT, Seat & Head angles, and BB height are the same.

akaBrowntown, what upper headset are you using on your bike? I am looking for a low stack height upper headset and that looks to have a very low upper.

mtbr member
    The upper is a Cane Creek 40 series ZS44 (zero stack). Great quality in the 40 series stuff for the price.

A dial caliper is a great tool for building up frames, saves the time of researching a bunch of pages to find measurements, well as long as you have the frame.

mtbr member
    I have the same upper on my Rip 9, must be the photo. I know the stack and reach that I like and was just going to make sure they didn't make any drastic changes on this latest update. Moot point now. I just ordered 2, one green and one white. My nephew has really gotten into biking and at 12 years old and 5'8", he'll be ready for a large in the spring.

NedwannaB
    Excessive is relevant with toys. Following these SL conversions has varied results. Some have just put wheels on and that's it. Some mod the shock slightly, some remove fr der cablestop and run an offset clamp on type. Some use shorter cage (SLX?) fr der. Some had to run 2.0 Quasi's some got away w/2.1 Neo's or even 2.2 Racing Ralph's.

NedwannaB
    Latest models 3.2(st hdtube) and 3.3 same geo numbers. You should be able to get a quick email turnaround reply from SC to confirm I would think.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Here's mine on it's maiden voyage...

Bought my Superlight 29er this spring just before a 4 day trip on the Kokopelli trail.

Superlight Love-p1010672.jpg.jpeg

Since then it's mostly seen CT singletrack. It may not be the most light, plush, stiffest, or efficient design, but man does it have sweet handling! Mine is 29lbs with lighter wheels and tires (but with a heavier saddle and grips). The geometry on this bike is totally dialed for tight New England singletrack. I've been riding mine with the rear shock completely open (on the "descend" setting) for everything but pavement. Really, really like this bike.

mtbr member
    I just noticed on the Santacruz bikebuilder for the SL 29, they only show options for the 2 lowest end builds (D and R). No SPX, XO, XX, or XTR.
    Even though I'm sure you could order it with any of those builds, I think its BS to assume that people aren't interested in a high end build for a Superlight.

NedwannaB

Bump!

Quote Originally Posted by akaBrowntown View Post
    Almost there!
    Too bad we can't get the new posts to hit on the end of the thread. They seem to get thrown in wherever and hard to find thru out the many years of this thread!!

Carry on. That is all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Too bad we can't get the new posts to hit on the end of the thread. They seem to get thrown in wherever and hard to find thru out the many years of this thread!!

Carry on. That is all.
    Go to the top of the page, right above the first post on the page.

On the right side drop down
    Display/then, switch to linear mode.

NedwannaB
    Worked great thanks!

rubber side down

27.5 conversion?

I'd like to convert this SL to 650b/27.5

I know others have with the SL's, but was wondering about this 2005 model. I researched other threads to try and find an answer, but did not see anything on this older one.

Anyone help me out with some information....I know I'll need a new fork (running an old Rockshox Hyracoil 100....would I need a Fox? 2008 or older?

also obviously need a new wheelset/disc brakes. Anyone have experience with the China made carbon ones off the bay?

Appreciate any help in advance!
    TAOS on pinkbike

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hey guys, I'm on the same journey. I rented a superlight in co and loved it. Found the cheap 26" wheel frame online from Santa Cruz direct... What a deal! This will be my first bike build and I'm really excited. One big question, did you go with the 100 mm front shock or the 120mm? I have a old trek 4900 that received a recall on the rock shock Judy 80mm and the bike shop replaced it with a 100mm, and it totally screwed up the climbs. The front end was way light. I assume the 100 or 120 mm will work about the same since santa cruxes recommends either.

Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 41 ... LastLast