Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Superlight Love

JJK
    AZ MTBR

New Superlight

Here's a pic of my new bike. Got it a few weeks ago.. 3rd Superlight 4th SC bike

Later,
    John K
    Attached Images Attached Images

Soy Chingon
    Soy Chingon

Here is my 2000 superlight.

Great bike. Really liked it. <br>

Fireball in the Night

It's been quiet over here .. .. ..

It's been quiet over here .. .. ..

CK hubs, Valiant / Valiant Asym rims, DT spokes alternating black and silver
    Clear shrink tube over XT disc braided steel lines
    220mph speedo & speakers that go to 11

~ Rex
    Last edited by Rex_Skidmore; 06-16-2006 at 11:02 AM.
    everyone drives a Used Car

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    * Large ano-blue, 2001 Superlight with 100mm SID Air and Fox Float RC w/ lockout.

- Full XT/Bontrager/Easton Carbon build with Chris King wheels/hubs and headset.
    - Total weight (w/ pedals) = 24lbs.
    - Hope XC disc brakes.

Turning it into a singlespeed this autumn... will post new pix after the build. Peace!

mtbr member
    I have had mine...for quite a while. I think it is a 2002 with a replacement swingarm (the original cracked at the pinch/pivot bolt)
    I cleaned it up this morning in preperation for a time trial this afternoon with a cross country race in the morning.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Anyone running a 5" fork on their SL? I was thinking about moving from a creaky Fox RLT to the Marzocchi All Mountain 1 set to 110mm travel.

Tracking up the place
    Would not do it.....Leverage issue ...plus it mess up the handling characteristics
    "Home of the Bearlodge Mtn Classic"

The only hill is the one you make of it....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Cheers from the Netherlands.

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    I am ordering my SL sometime late this week. Still dont know want color to go for. Im between the White, and the Orange. The white is really catching my attention. Hopefully shipping wont take too long, and i'll be posting pics on this thread soon.

Soy Chingon
    White is nice!!!
    IMG_2547.JPG
    Soy Chingon

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    I called, and they only have Polished and Orange left!? damn! i wanted white! i guess i'll order an Orange one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbFlorida Brian

Just wondering, is this colour Slate anodized?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Here's mine.

I got the frame at Ebay and transferred everything from my GT Avalanche. It's my first FS bike and it is sweet!

mtbr member
    So thats the Slate eh, was wondering what color to get, guess this is it!

Soy Chingon
    Thinking of upgrading some components on my SL. What shock and Fork are you running? What about brakes and wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by MtbFlorida Brian

Soy Chingon

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Post your love!

Quote Originally Posted by ReD_tomato
    I called, and they only have Polished and Orange left!? damn! i wanted white! i guess i'll order an Orange one.
    Hey RT, you've already landed your orange SL right? Do post your pic soon! Dun keep us in suspense!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by matt0li
    * Large ano-blue, 2001 Superlight with 100mm SID Air and Fox Float RC w/ lockout.

- Full XT/Bontrager/Easton Carbon build with Chris King wheels/hubs and headset.
    - Total weight (w/ pedals) = 24lbs.
    - Hope XC disc brakes.

Turning it into a singlespeed this autumn... will post new pix after the build. Peace!

What size is your lizard skin chainstay protector, I'm not sure if I should get a Jumbo or Super Jumbo.

dcubed
    Brand New, never ridden, upgraded RP23 shock, "D" kit.

Adjusting the pedaqls and wrapping the chainstay now.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Beautiful!

Yet another reason why trans red is my favorite SC color

Quote Originally Posted by desmo13
    Brand New, never ridden, upgraded RP23 shock, "D" kit.

Adjusting the pedaqls and wrapping the chainstay now.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I bought the frame brandnew from Ebay 2 years ago, it was one of the last US made Superlight frames. I've just completed building it up, still need to to shorten the brake lines and cap the shifter cable ends. Specs:

- 2003/4 Superlight Frame with Fox Float RL
    - 06' Marzocchi Marathon SL
    - Chris King Nothread headset
    - Easton Monkey Light SL carbon handle bar
    - Race Face Deus XC stem
    - WTB dual compound grips
    - Shimano XTR M952 Rapid Fire shifter pod and XTR shifter calbes
    - Shimano XTR M951 long cage rear derailluer
    - Shimano XTR M960 front derailluer
    - Shimano XTR / Dura Ace 9-speed chain
    - Shimano XTR M960 cassette
    - Shimano 959 clipless pedal
    - Race Face Deus XC crank set with intergrated bottom bracket
    - Hope Mini disk brake with red anodized floating rotor
    - Hope cable guide and blank.
    - Easton EC70 carbon seat post
    - Hope seat collar.
    - Flite Titanium saddle
    - Chris King ISO disk hubs/Mavic 717/DT 14-15 spokes/Red Anodize alloy nipples.
    - Salsa titanium skewers
    - Classic Kelvar Panaracer Smoke and Dart tires.
    - Performance Lunar Light tubes.

Weighted at 24.8 lbs

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Anybody know the shock length on an 2002 Superlight XL???

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinox73
    Hey RT, you've already landed your orange SL right? Do post your pic soon! Dun keep us in suspense!

sorry i took so long to post pics... well, they snook a white one out for me quicker than i expected...

Don't Stop Spinnin'!

Taking The Superlight Out for some fun!

mtbr member
    7 7/8", with a 2" stroke.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    love the sticker!! what size engine in the truck?

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFFTA
    love the sticker!! what size engine in the truck?
    95 jeep cherokee 4.0 liter

My MTB Jeepster... i got my daily driver on the side.

few more of jeep and bike love!

Last edited by ReD_tomato; 01-16-2007 at 03:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    from spain

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Wicked

Aww man, that's one wicked ride! Geez, would love to be on an '07 SL. Now my '05 SL looks like one from the stone age.

Fireball in the Night
    That's a great color match for the Fox fork. Does it look that closely matched in person?

I was reading "Ask R.C." online and found this rider that closely resembles my riding :

Q. R.C., I was just about to drop the cash for a Blur LT frame, then I read your review of the Superlight. I now am thinking I should maybe go with the Superlight and take the money I would save and upgrade my fork. My question is, will I miss much performance in buying the cheaper Superlight? I am 6'3'' 205lbs and I strictly ride xc trails with lots of climbing. Thanks
    Scott/mbaction.com - 1/13/2007 4:45:43 PM

A. RC: I'd have to say that, in your case, the Superlight ('07 version) would be a better-performing machine than the Blur LT.

And this other subject was interesting:

Q. Q: I am the owner of an '06 Superlight, so i have read with great interest the glowing reviews of the '07. Is this a "must buy" improvement over the '06, or are the changes subtle? I am an overweight rider who rides on rocky, root filled trails frequently. With my heft,(250 #) i don't even notice the true damping capability of my RP-3 shock, as it is normally set at 250 psi to keep from bottoming. Can PUSH revalve something like this to fit a big rider- or should i be looking for a coil spring shock?
    Doug/mbaction.com - 12/29/2006 4:38:42 PM

A. RC: The original Santa Cruz Superlight has onld-school racing geometry and feels lightm nimble and a little flexible under power and when pushed hard through technical situations. The new Superlight is very rigid in both its steering and pedaling departments. Its geometry is slightly slacker, and it outhandles the original by a magnitude without giving up any climbing efficiency--yeah, I'd say it's a must buy--especially if you have worn out your older Superlight and want to step up. Yes, Push Industries can boost the compression damping and rebound stack to get your air shock riding smoothly under your weight. Your situation is common for heavier riders using low-volume air-sprung dampers.

Looks like R.C. is a big fan of this frame.
    everyone drives a Used Car

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Wait time?

Hey XCGUY, I too ordered an ano slate medium with RP23 2 weeks ago. I'm hearing middle of Feb?

How 'bout you?

I've got a white F100RLC going on the front. I hope it looks good!

BTW, check out the Dirt Rag forum. Jeff Guerrero is building up a liquid blue SL and that color looks Hot!

I wish we had more Ano choices! I would have loved red or orange. How would Ano white look I wonder?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

That well-known SC wait time

Quote Originally Posted by velez3000
    Hey XCGUY, I too ordered an ano slate medium with RP23 2 weeks ago. I'm hearing middle of Feb?

How 'bout you?

I've got a white F100RLC going on the front. I hope it looks good!

BTW, check out the Dirt Rag forum. Jeff Guerrero is building up a liquid blue SL and that color looks Hot!

I wish we had more Ano choices! I would have loved red or orange. How would Ano white look I wonder?
    When I ordered mine the guy at the shop said "it's gonna be awhile" but all of us here in Colorado know there's no riding till March anyway. He called the factory and found out they had zero frames in stock, ano or powdercoated.

I emailed Santa Cruz and asked them if there was anything I could do to speed up the delivery, like being flexible about ano color or Float R vs RP23. They said: lengthy production process and large amount of backorders means 4-8 weeks but they were "hoping to get it to the shop on the shorter time side". The frames are anodized at the factory in Taiwan with no priority for frame color. They said Fox is right down the road so getting a RP23 "shouldn't be a problem". If a shipment comes in with a blue ano they'd ship that instead of slate, if that was what I wanted so I wouldn't have to wait another set of weeks for the next slow boat to arrive. They also said the new SL is worth the wait!

So, it'll get here when it gets here. I have other bikes to ride but I was hoping I could get it built in time for Moab in late March. Can't think of a better place to get acquainted with my new 2007 SL!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    When I ordered mine the guy at the shop said "it's gonna be awhile" but all of us here in Colorado know there's no riding till March anyway. He called the factory and found out they had zero frames in stock, ano or powdercoated.

I emailed Santa Cruz and asked them if there was anything I could do to speed up the delivery, like being flexible about ano color or Float R vs RP23. They said: lengthy production process and large amount of backorders means 4-8 weeks but they were "hoping to get it to the shop on the shorter time side". The frames are anodized at the factory in Taiwan with no priority for frame color. They said Fox is right down the road so getting a RP23 "shouldn't be a problem". If a shipment comes in with a blue ano they'd ship that instead of slate, if that was what I wanted so I wouldn't have to wait another set of weeks for the next slow boat to arrive. They also said the new SL is worth the wait!

So, it'll get here when it gets here. I have other bikes to ride but I was hoping I could get it built in time for Moab in late March. Can't think of a better place to get acquainted with my new 2007 SL!
    I have an '07 ano slate on order too. They told me 5 weeks (I'm a week in). We'll see...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Fork and Ride Report

SWEETER.

Is that a Talas you have up front? If it is a Talas, what travel do you ride it on?

Dying to hear a ride report. What bike are you coming from or is this an addition?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I am a week in for my Gang Green SL with RP23. I sold my old XL SL thinking the new XL SL would work but that thing is huge! I am just under 6'3 and it was about an inch too big! I dropped down to the large ecause i think with a 100mm stem I will be perfect! They told me 6-8 weeks at my LBS.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    My superlight came in a few days ago. I got the complete with XT in Ano Slate. My only complaint is that it was advertised as having 4.2d rims and was delivered with 4.1, but that's life.

Last edited by dirtyroadie; 01-26-2007 at 09:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Great Looking!!! What does it weigh? What hubs are you running with those rims?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The weight is 26.76 lbs according to a scale which is supposed to be innacurate but it seemed right on target. The hubs are DT Swiss 340. At the moment it's all stock but a Thomson X4 and Easton EC90 flat bar are going on before I take it home... and possibly a King headset if I can justify it.

Got A Lust for Life...

Since when...

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyroadie
    The weight is 26.76 lbs according to a scale which is supposed to be innacurate but it seemed right on target. The hubs are DT Swiss 340. At the moment it's all stock but a Thomson X4 and Easton EC90 flat bar are going on before I take it home... and possibly a King headset if I can justify it.
    Does a King need justification? Nice ride Ryan. I checked it out yesterday. My thought? "Holy sh1t, that thing is very, very nice." Welcome aboard.
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Nice bike Ryan! I can not wait to get my frame. I am trying to decide between the DT 240s and the CK hubs. Yes, I know... does a king need justification? I can get a lighter wheelset with the DT Swiss. I will be interested to read your thoughts on your 340 hubs.

Got A Lust for Life...
    A riding buddy hasn't had to touch his 240 hub in 3 years of riding in all kinds of muck...if that means anything to you. That, and they come apart without tools, they don't need to break in, they have excellant CS, and they can easily be converted to a thru bolt. Not trying to sell you or anything....
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm sure the 340's will be pretty damn good. I have a pair of the old Hugi 240s on my road bike with some un-Godly amount of miles (like12000 or so) and their still running perfectly, but the cassette is beginning to cut through the aluminum freehub body. Never used DT Swiss on a mountain bike though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    At first, I will apologize for my very poor english.

SWEETER.
    Is that a Talas you have up front? If it is a Talas, what travel do you ride it on?
    Yes, I have old Talas RLC on front, with 85-125mm of travel. Now I have setup on 100mm, but with full 125mm geometry is also nice. Perfect for technical descends.

Dying to hear a ride report. What bike are you coming from or is this an addition?
    With ride report... Hmm, sorry - but you must wait.
    We have winter now, with frost and lot of snow. My only rides are on hometrainer.

On the last year I rode 06'Heckler with XC setup (27,8lbs). Before I bought them, I tested them on Tatra Mountains and I was really amazed. Excellend balanced and handling bike. But mostly I'm riding long distance rides and races, and on fall I decided that Heckler is too slack for me. Otherwise, I had problems with knees. It was very hard decision to sell this frame...

At first I was decided to buy Cannon Rush. But when I saw new Superlight...
    Oh man, it was love. Superlight love.

But my wife is'nt jealous. She rides bike too

boomer
    Hey XCGUY,

For the life of me I can't find this article; could you post a link for the Dirt Rag impaired? I'd sho appreciate it.
    Calvin

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

message received loud and clear

Hi Sweeter, you're English is just fine. I bet you're ready to get that new SL out on those beautiful trails!

I'm also coming off a Heckler and was considering a rush!

Big surprise this weekend is that my new SL will be here much sooner than I thought! This Thursday, 2/1 It's coming built up so expect a full ride report!

BTW here's the link to the Dirt Rag article

http://www.dirtragmag.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12903

boomer
    BTW here's the link to the Dirt Rag article

http://www.dirtragmag.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12903
    Thanks for hookin' a brotha up.
    Calvin

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    my superlight

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Luckeeeee!

Sorry no ride report. Weather was absolute crap today.

Here's a few pics;

Pic 1, hangin w/ big bro.... Harry the heckler
    Pic 2, so much is right in this pic
    Pic 3, coming off nevegals, these babies look scary!
    Pic 4, 07 XTR, nice shot of the Ano
    Pic 5, My new buddy Sammy

Build;

Full 07 XTR
    King no thread black
    Race face Next SL OS riser bar
    Thomson X4 90mm, 10 degree rise
    Mavic SLR
    kenda Small block 8, 2.1 w/ tubes
    Thomson masterpiece seatpost
    WTB rocket V
    Candy SL's
    Juicy Ultimates
    ODI Ruffian grips

I weigh 160 and I'm staring the fork out at 75PSI and the shock at 120 PSI with the propedal set at 2 rebound and compression set in the middle on the fork and four clicks of rebound adj, on the RP23.

We'll see how this goes.....

I CANT WAIT TO GET HIM ON DIRT

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    that reflector tape or what ever on the rims is pimp do they sell something like that?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Guess you could

yeah, I stripped the stickers off of my Hecklers crossmax xl's, down to black.

You could then buy reflective tape at Home Depot and design your own thing.

The SLR's are just plain bad ass.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast