Page 29 of 43 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 ... LastLast

Thread: Superlight Love

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stencil View Post
    I test rode both as well and went with the SL and I could have afforded the Tallboy. I just love the simplicity and geometry of the frame.
    I did the same thing and found setting up the VPP rear suspension was a little more user friendly. It also made itself fairly invisible on the trail compared to the single pivot. However, at 100mm it wasn't enough of a difference for me to pay the extra cost.
    SC:12' Butcher (sold)
    SC:12' Superlight 29er (sold)
    SC:12' Juliana (wife's)
    SC:12' TBLT

mtbr member
    I noticed a couple of the SL's here have a swept back seat post on them. Any problems with handling after moving the seat back? I was thinking about trying this to help me fit on a large SL frame, instead of the suggested XL. I'm 6-3 and there are a lot more used Large frame bikes out there for sale than XL.

Thanks,

Dan

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Nice bike. Did you have an air shock on there before the Vanilla? How do you like the ride with a coil shock?
    Yeah, I love the coil! makes for plush ride. Thou, i riding it with a Fox RL now. I had a tiny bit of pedal bob with the coil, and i mean "tiny", i still have the coil for when i blow out the Air shock. heh .

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Just finished my build and first ride.

2012 SL size large xw CTD Float thanks to the SC warehouse sale
    x9 drivetain with XO crank and MRP Bling Ring
    MRP Micro Guide
    Avid Elixir 7
    2008 Fox f100
    Bontrager Race Lite wheelset.
    Thomson stem and post

Sourced 90% of the bike off of eBay and came in well under a similarily priced bike would cost retail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Superlight Love-superlight-1.jpg  

clk
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Built this a few months ago

mtbr member
    Weighed both bikes today and had quite the surprise.

Both the Juliana and Superlight 29 are 2012s with Rxc kits. Both bikes have replacement tires measuring 2.2 in width. The Juliana has a rear UST continental mountain king II while the front tire and 29er has the mountain king protection. The 29er has wider than factory bar, but I cannot rember the weight difference.

And the results are........

27.7 LBS without pedals.

Yes, the small juliana and large superlight weighed almost the exact same. what the hell!?! Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by SCFast View Post
    The oddest thing is that the 29er frame is lighter. Top tube is the same length stand over is not the same and is about 3/4 to 1in higher on the 29 and BB sits 8/10ths lower on the 26.
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    something else

my wifes small juliana only weighs one pound less than my large 29er. Both are RXC kits
    Quote Originally Posted by SCFast View Post
    Must be thinner wall tubing on the 29er's. It's only about 1/10lb lighter for a given size.

Ordered a thomson 70mm X4 stem today...Now to get bar's squared away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Saw View Post
    I've never looked real close at a 29 SL until now. I didn't realize there was that much difference in the frame. That's amazing.
    SC:12' Butcher (sold)
    SC:12' Superlight 29er (sold)
    SC:12' Juliana (wife's)
    SC:12' TBLT

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

2012 Superlight 650b

I just finished converting my Superlight to 650b. I shimmed the shock a few mm and removed the front derailleur cable stop, but everything else was a perfect fit. I shortened a 650b White Brothers Fluid 130 fork to 110 mm, so it has the same axle-to-crown as the stock 120mm fork. I have a 2.1" Nevegal on the back and a 2.3" on the front mounted on Azonic Outlaw wheels converted to tubeless. The wheels aren't light or all that efficient, but they're stiff and durable. They make me work with the 1x10 drivetrain! Overall, this bike is awesome. It rolls better than it did with 26" wheels, is still a blast to ride, and I don't miss the 10 mm or so of travel I had to limit on each end. I highly recommend that anybody with a Superlight does this conversion!

Superlight Love-005w.jpg
    Superlight Love-006w.jpg
    Last edited by mountainbiker24; 02-24-2013 at 04:58 PM.

just ride
    Oct 2006
    1) 2013 Superlight Medium weigh 6.1 lbs... Anyone knows how much does the 2012 Superlight Small weigh? I did some search and found that it weighs in at 5.5 lbs but I'm not sure if this is for the 2012 or older models.

2) Anyone using Cane Creek angleset (1.5 degree slacker) headset on their SL? If so, can you post pic and where the degree is now with the angleset installed?

Thanks!

just ride
    Oct 2006

Good job!

It took about 1 week to get my new (but used) bike. It weighs 30 lbs when I got it. After installing the parts I had on my hardtail, I was able to bring the weight down to 24.3 lbs and this is with the 640 grams of Gravity Dropper Turbo (425mm/30.9mm/multi-position).

Superlight Love-img_6836.jpgSuperlight Love-img_6840.jpgSuperlight Love-img_6830.jpgSuperlight Love-img_6834.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

My Superlight

Superlight Love-130201_0006.jpg
    Here's my baby!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Superlight 29er

Almost a year with it... and love this bike...

Recent Upgrade: ZTR Arch / F Hope Evo2 / R Octane Pro / DT Swiss Competition Spokes and red nipples

Everything at closeout price from Jenson and Universal Cyclist.

The stifness is incredible plus the advantage of running tubeless... no tubeless tires and they work just fine.

Not flex at all, great in climbs, no bombs, nice in descends, very agile in technical climbs, and always it depends more in the rider.

Just one complete service during a year, well maintained with grease and chain wax.

Reba is responsive and smooth at 100mm, I'm 132 pounds. Some day will try 120mm, for my riding style at 100mm its ok.

Just the fck shox for service because an oil leaking... after that any comments, no guarantee.

Some front overlap with shoe and wheel, the logic consequence of small frame and big wheels. It happens in bends, don't make me very happy, at all it is the only disadvantage of the geometry.

The stock saddle makes me suffer... just ordered a new saddle.

Not a weight freak, just for data: 27.5 pounds without pedals.

Name:  031 - Copy.jpg
Views: 1306
Size:  57.8 KB

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Re: Superlight Love

Hey guys,

Just got into riding again after about a year off. And what better way to get back than with a nice frame upgrade?

This is also my first FS. Always shunned them since I like bikes that climb well but I saw a good deal and read great reviews so I went for it and swapped all my parts.

Was able to try it out for a few minutes, some rough/rocky sections, plus an uphill climb (paved).

Didn't lock the shocks so I could test how the bike reacted to my pedaling and I ended up asking myself, why didn't I do this sooner?" Man, I knew FS was great on rough stuff (never had to get off my saddle) but what shocked me was how great this bike is even when I'm mashing on the pedals!

Still using my old Epicon tho, it still works well for me so I decided to stick with it first.

Cheers!

lorsban

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member

Spent 2 hours meticulously cleaning/re-lubing/greasing up everything on the bike the previous night...

Also removed the spacer off the front reba fork for 15mm more of travel!!!

Nothing brings a smile to a face of any MTBer when he cleans up his favourite bike and gets it dirty all over again!!! Especially when its white in color!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Just fell in Superlight Love

Here's mine I had built a couple of months ago. what a great bike,
    I love the geometry, feel & build. A superb all rounder.
    Plus hopefully with all the mud around Yorkshire at the moment fairly hassle free maintenance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Superlight Love-img_0568.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

650b Conversion

Just finished this 650b build. Sturdy!

Superlight Love-6.20.2013-small.jpg

just ride
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for sharing! What size kenda tires are those? I noticed you removed the front cable stop, did you have to shim the shock as well?

Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    Just finished this 650b build. Sturdy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.20.2013 small.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	809612

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjay View Post
    Thanks for sharing! What size kenda tires are those? I noticed you removed the front cable stop, did you have to shim the shock as well?
    The Kenda Nevegals are 2.35" in the front and 2.1" in the back with plenty of side clearance. I removed the front cable stop since I don't plan on running a front derailleur any time soon, but it is still necessary to shim the shock. I'm estimating about 3 millimeters worth of shims, which stops the tire a couple millimeters short of the seattube. I plan on replacing the Nevegal with a faster tread when it wears out, so I should be able to take out a couple millimeters worth of spacers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Swapped my 2010 Suntour Epicon for a 2012 RS Recon Gold Tk. Recon's more stiff, way lighter. But the Suntour is a bit more plush.

This is from last Sunday. Was supposed to just be a 1 hour ride around town. Ended up being a long 3 hour ride crossing 2 rivers. Superlight is the best bike I've ever had.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by lorsban View Post
    By any chance are those Alex XD Lite 650B rims?
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    By any chance are those Alex XD Lite 650B rims?
    Hey JMac, those are regular 26".

What's 650B? 27.5? Will that fit my frame and fork?

NedwannaB
    Hey JMac, those are regular 26".

What's 650B? 27.5? Will that fit my frame and fork?

Yes. 27.5. I have a set of them. They will fit the frame, not that fork.

I'm thinking of converting one, which is white and would look almost identical, Nevegals and all.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Yes. 27.5. I have a set of them. They will fit the frame, not that fork.

I'm thinking of converting one, which is white and would look almost identical, Nevegals and all.
    Interesting.

Is there a fork that would work for both 26 and 650?

Would be cool to be able to swap between the two sizes.

Oh, and I'm using Kenda Cozmic light tires. Need to replace them soon for better mud performance.

Last edited by lorsban; 06-26-2013 at 12:42 AM.

NedwannaB
    Interesting.

Is there a fork that would work for both 26 and 650?

Would be cool to be able to swap between the two sizes.

Oh, and I'm using Kenda Cozmic light tires.
    Yes. Pretty much any 80-120mm FOX fork and tires from 2.1-2.35 that you would want to use on that bike. Even if you just put a 100mm fork and 650 tire up front you'd notice some good benefits.

Kenda Nevegals would work great for mud front tire, there are lots of other manufacturers coming out with 650 tires in different tread designs from hard pack to mucky trail conditions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Yes. Pretty much any 80-120mm FOX fork and tires from 2.1-2.35 that you would want to use on that bike. Even if you just put a 100mm fork and 650 tire up front you'd notice some good benefits.

Kenda Nevegals would work great for mud front tire, there are lots of other manufacturers coming out with 650 tires in different tread designs from hard pack to mucky trail conditions.
    Oh Fox. Those are really pricey here.

Will try out the Nevegals. It's rainy season here so I need all the grip I can get.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    X-Fusion makes a few forks designed for 26" wheels that fit 650b wheels as well. May need a spacer to prevent bottoming the tire on the crown, but maybe not.

Page 29 of 43 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 ... LastLast