Page 24 of 43 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast

Thread: Superlight Love

mtbr member
    Here is my new to me superlight 24.4lb. I know the forks are 140 but its all i have.
    This is my core parts list.
    Frame- Superlight
    Fork- Fox RLC FIT
    Bars- Carbon WCS
    Stem- Carbon WCS
    Shifter- Sram XO
    Crankset- XTR FC985 Race
    Brakes- Shimano XT
    Derailleur- Sram XO
    Wheels- DT Swiss M1800
    Headset- Chris King
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Superlight Love-img_0061.jpg  

Superlight Love-img_0065.jpg  

Last edited by illini; 11-23-2011 at 09:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

2004 SuperLight

Adding to the love, my current ride. I also Just picked up an 09 SL Frame.Can't wait till its done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Superlight Love-389395_2720678576943_1256428862_33156499_866066617_n.jpg  

Last edited by bnyec; 12-02-2011 at 04:06 PM. Reason: typo

XC Hack
    Dec 2011
    I just bought a 2012 Superlight with RXC and I love it. It's my first FS bike--I'm kind of late to that scene.

Edit: OK, I've got the bike dialed more--controls moved around, suspension tuned. This bike rocks. It climbs better than my old Fisher Paragon rigid bike and that's w/o locking anything out. Descends like a champ, nimble on ST...loving it!
    Last edited by fongster; 12-08-2011 at 12:11 AM.

mtbr member
    All this thread ever does is make me drool and want to go ride.
    Too many bicycles to list...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I picked up a ~2001-2003 superlight frame a few weeks ago. My first full suspension bike. Finally got it together with a mixture of Shimano, FSA, Sun, Fox and Ragley parts. Made a few rides this week and I really love the feel of this bike. The 4" of travel soaked up everything my 50 year old riding style could throw at it. The only drawback has been that I want to try a smaller frame. My frame is a medium, it feels okay but as the trail goes on i find myself moving further and further up on the seat. I have adjusted the cockpit some but I would really like to experience a small frame as well. I am a 5'5" rider.
    Santa cruz bikes are far and few between in my area so test riding a small superlight frame is not happening for me.
    Anyone want to part with a used small superlight frame?
    I got some parts to put another bike together and I would like to build another bike for myself and my wife could ride it when she feels like joining me on the trail.
    And by the way, I"ll post a pic of my superlight as soon as i figure out the process.
    I looked at every superlight on this thread, you guys and girls rock, lol, glad to be part of the Super crowd.
    Last edited by 3to4s; 12-15-2011 at 11:41 AM. Reason: corrections

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I still don't have any pics of mine out on the trail. Guess that happens when 90% of your rides are solo and you don't own a camera. Saw two or three other SCs on the trail yesterday, which was nice. I used to be lucky to see anyone else, maybe one at the most.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hey there club mud, is that van 4 wheel drive?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Here's my superlight 1x9 trail bike.

Last edited by 3to4s; 12-14-2011 at 11:04 AM. Reason: pic size

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fongster View Post
    I just bought a 2012 Superlight with RXC and I love it. It's my first FS bike--I'm kind of late to that scene.

Edit: OK, I've got the bike dialed more--controls moved around, suspension tuned. This bike rocks. It climbs better than my old Fisher Paragon rigid bike and that's w/o locking anything out. Descends like a champ, nimble on ST...loving it!
    Damn you! Back in the 2011 models I only had the chance to pick whether black or red. White looks so darn nice!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I've just built a second hand frame up, a '08 Superlight 2. Sorry cant post pics till my post count is up. .
    Question for the faithful... Is it sacrilege to replace the headtube sticker with the newer alloy badge?

Oh its also the same colour as the one above

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    My second Gen has a badge, not a sticker.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thank's, think i'll get that done then

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hello everybody!

I cannot start a new thread due to low (0) post count but have a couple questions about Superlight (newest frame) and thought I might get some info here. (I tried searching and could not find answers to my questions and I also don't have an option of riding/seeing the bike in person before I buy).

What is the max tire width you can put on Superlight (19mm rim). I presume the back is going to be the problem. (I'm looking at 2.35 Schwable tire). Maybe someone would know what is the actual gap for the tire (in mm)?

I'm a bit concerned about riding position (my use would be some recreational trail riding, nothing crazy, and I am not by any means a race type of rider). Is this going to be a problem on Superlight?

Second concern is the low BB. (one of the reasons I want to go with wider tires). I've read a few comments on it. Is this an issue. (I know you can adjust your riding etc. to it but is it necessary to do so)?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    2.2 schwable racing Ralph, 2.2 wolverine wtb, 2.0 specialized all fit with just enough room for clearance. Old style frame, I would think that with the new frame you would just make it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 25lbs&counting View Post
    2.2 schwable racing Ralph, 2.2 wolverine wtb, 2.0 specialized all fit with just enough room for clearance. Old style frame, I would think that with the new frame you would just make it.
    Thanks. I'm hearing that the newer style frame has a bit more room and that 2.35 should fit but I would like to be sure.
    Anyone out there with a newer style frame and a ruler/calipers?

Any feedback on the other stuff?

In the Green Mountains
    I have run 2.35 Kenda Nevgal and Schwable Fat Alberts with no issues. I have 2008 frame.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hvnfun View Post
    I have run 2.35 Kenda Nevgal and Schwable Fat Alberts with no issues. I have 2008 frame.
    Fat Albert seems to be more like 2.25 according to what I've read.
    Kenda Nevegal more like 2.39 though (both according to shiggy's site)
    How much clearance did you have on each side roughly with Kenda Nevegal 2.35?

How about the low BB? Much of an issue?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The BB was a small issue when I first bought the bike, but within a few rides I had already adjusted to it. I can't remember the last time a pedal smacked a root. I live in Houston though, so rocks are basically non-existant. If I were riding around a lot of decent sized rocks it may be more of an issue.

In the Green Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by blighter View Post
    Fat Albert seems to be more like 2.25 according to what I've read.
    Kenda Nevegal more like 2.39 though (both according to shiggy's site)
    How much clearance did you have on each side roughly with Kenda Nevegal 2.35?

How about the low BB? Much of an issue?
    Here is a photo of the clearance with the Nevegel, about 1/4". I've had no issues with the bottom bracket height
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Superlight Love-nevagal-2.35.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hvnfun View Post
    Here is a photo of the clearance with the Nevegel, about 1/4". I've had no issues with the bottom bracket height
    Thanks for the pic Hvnfun. That's exactly what I was looking for

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fongster View Post

I'm having a hard time deciding to get this or a Cannondale flash. Tough decision!

mtbr member
    My 09 - 1X9

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    nice!
    Last edited by intensespider2; 01-30-2012 at 05:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    So now that the superlight has been around for a solid decade +, what's the general consensus on the older frames?

I have a line on what I believe is a 2001 (straight top tube medium but has disc brake mounts) with upgraded juicy 7 brakes in good condition. I have some concerns over frame material, as I read that they made a major change in 2003. Of course I've read about some frames cracking and that sort of thing. Then again maybe some of the changes are for the better.. I like that this one was made in the USA, and I haven't been able to find any info on the frame material differences. But these superlights pretty much a work of art, in my opinion..

I really like the simplicity and overall design of the superlights, but I don't do anything downhill and this is more of a casual trails / xc type of bike for me. I can get a ~2004 jamis dakar for about the same price..
    Last edited by Armatron; 02-01-2012 at 05:12 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    So... I got a superlight 2012.. (pics to follow shortly).

It seems great so far but the only problem I have is that the ride is not plush at all (at the back), wiht the proper sag. I will try lowering the pressure in the shock but I need to get a sus pump first.

A question regarding a standard stem lenght on 2012 model (for xl frame size). Does anyone know what it is? (I opted to change the stem straight away and didn't even see the one that bike normally comes with).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Superlight Love-dsc_5659.jpg  

Superlight Love-img_0035.jpg  

Last edited by blighter; 02-03-2012 at 07:11 AM.

Page 24 of 43 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast