Page 18 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Superlight Love

Live to Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    I agree with your assessment of the Superlight, but I'm curious if you had a chance to try out the rental Blur before it broke?
    I did. It's frame was smaller than I was used to, so I'm not sure it was the best assessment. My Superlight is an XL and the Blur was an L. Blur front shock was a Fox RLC 140 and very nice, but that was the end of the difference for me. I just didn't see the advantage in the Blur, but it might have just been not dialed in for me and we all know how long that can take.

One big advantage for me in the Superlight is the rear swing arm being above the chain. My last bike had serious issues in the chain/chainring clearance in the rear triangle and it was that design either the Superlight or the Heckler based on the geometry of the rear triangle that lured me to the Santa Cruz line. The Superlight is the right bike for me, every time I ride.
    *** ride it again!

mtbr member
    Thanks. I plan on renting a blur to see what I'm missing.
    It is hard to imagine it being more efficient peddling than the SL, and as far as plush travel, I don't mind a little stiffening during downhill braking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hey guys, just bought a Superlight from e-bay used about a month ago ! 2001 Medium Ano Silver. (with straight top tube)
    http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/u...z/IMG_0173.jpg

Building it up with Hope Pro2 Hubs, Mavic XC717 Rims, Hope Tech X2 brakes, Shimano XT drivetrain, Rockshox SID World Cup fork and Ritchey WCS cockpit ! Gonna recieve the fork next week hopefully It's my first mountain bike actually ,as before I used to ride BMX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by totemsub
    Hey guys, just bought a Superlight from e-bay used about a month ago ! 2001 Medium Ano Silver. (with straight top tube)
    http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/u...z/IMG_0173.jpg

Building it up with Hope Pro2 Hubs, Mavic XC717 Rims, Hope Tech X2 brakes, Shimano XT drivetrain, Rockshox SID World Cup fork and Ritchey WCS cockpit ! Gonna recieve the fork next week hopefully It's my first mountain bike actually ,as before I used to ride BMX
    That's going to be a sweet ride for a first mountain bike! Congrats.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks mate ! All the parts are new except for the frame Got quite a few good deals on the parts ! Got the SID 40% off from Chain reaction as it was the 2009 model and they were already selling the 2010 model ( the only difference being the 2010 model has a carbon steerer tube which I wasn't too keen on anyway )

Had a hard time removing the Cane Creek headset it had on it (in the pic) ! Will now fit a Chris King

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hey guys - Update

Been building my superlight finally here's a few pics !

Sorry bout the crappy pics as they were taken with my iPhone.

Question - does the rear derailleur cable pass through the swingarm ? Won't this mess up my shifting when the rear suspension is active ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by totemsub
    Hey guys - Update

Been building my superlight finally here's a few pics !

Sorry bout the crappy pics as they were taken with my iPhone.

Question - does the rear derailleur cable pass through the swingarm ? Won't this mess up my shifting when the rear suspension is active ?
    The blue and silver theme looks really cool. What is the blueness I see around the BB? Is that just your stand?

Yes the deraileur cable passes through the swingarm, with housing on the front side going into the swing arm, and bare cable on the back side until you reach the housing going from the dropout area to the deraileur.
    It doesn't effect shifting because swingarm movement doesn't change the cable length, it just causes the housing to bend, making a bigger loop in the housing. It never pulls on the cable.

mtbr member

BIKE now for sale

It is time to move on . Time to sell my superlight. If anyone interested let me know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The blue and silver theme looks really cool. What is the blueness I see around the BB? Is that just your stand?

Yes the deraileur cable passes through the swingarm, with housing on the front side going into the swing arm, and bare cable on the back side until you reach the housing going from the dropout area to the deraileur.
    It doesn't effect shifting because swingarm movement doesn't change the cable length, it just causes the housing to bend, making a bigger loop in the housing. It never pulls on the cable.

Thanks The blueness is just duct tape on the stand so that the frame doesn't get damaged.

Having a hard time with the brakes (Hope Tech X2) as the pads seem to be rubbing the discs and no matter how hard i try they still rub. Dunno if this is a matter of the pads wearing in, or the calipers not adjusted properly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hi - here's the final update of my SL The only things that will be changing are the saddle ( that old Flite will be replaced with an SLR) and the pedals will be replaced with Egg Beaters ( I have platforms on as I want to get used to riding again !)

Question - When the rear shock is active, and the swingarm moves, my gears seem to "jump" - is it because i have set the cable in the swingarm too tight ? Should i have a looser cable in that area ? In fact, when I put a water bottle in the cage it REALLY messes up my shifting as the cable gets pulled out by the bottle. I think it's too tight.

mtbr member

cable in the swing arm

it does look like your cable is way too tight. I have a size large and the cable housing that passes threw the swing arm is 8'1/4" long and I have no problems with shifting.
    I hope this helps.

mtbr member
    yea that definitely looks way too tight. mine has a nice bend in the housing where yours is straight.

other than that, looks great. i love the ano silver and the blue highlights. ive never ridden a Sid but always thought the new ones look really cool. you need to ditch the yellow saddle and get a matching blue one though!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    just before winter really started to set in
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Superlight Love-dsc01934.jpg  

Superlight Love-dsc01908.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for the info guys ! I got some new cable housing and now the SL Rocks !

BDW - yes i ditched the yellow saddle and got a black Selle Italia SLR XC Gel Flow instead

Propr
    Quote Originally Posted by markham_guy
    2010 Sl
    The green/blue combo is Sick dude! Nice choice.
    12 Bandit Two9 (sold)
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Tarmac SL3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksearsor
    just before winter really started to set in
    I'm just curious. Is that your normal seat height?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    hi all...just got this from the post office earlier...

Any idea what is the seatpost size ?? 30.9 or 27.2 ? need your input on this...

thanks again...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    mine - a 2001 SL , has a 27.2mm seatpost.

mtbr member
    The one in the picture is at least a couple years newer than your '01. The difference between 27.2 and 30.9 is large enough that it should be easy enough to measure using a mm scale.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by magpies14
    hi all...just got this from the post office earlier...

Any idea what is the seatpost size ?? 30.9 or 27.2 ? need your input on this...

thanks again...
    That vintage would be 27.2.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The one in the picture is at least a couple years newer than your '01. The difference between 27.2 and 30.9 is large enough that it should be easy enough to measure using a mm scale.
    It's apparently a 2006 model, based on the previous seller posting....

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm just curious. Is that your normal seat height?
    not really just came down a long decent and knew i was stopping at the bridge. I bought the bike about a year ago, never ridden in the forest prior, i used to be really bad at bmx so i started playing paintball and that got way too expensive, so i came back to bikes, im saving for a free ride bike. now i cant seem to get off my bike since i bought it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    So, was fiddling with my '06 Superlight (Size L) yesterday and let all the air out of the rear shock, a Float R.

I tried to push the bike all way down and the piece bolted across the two seatstays (on top of the wheel) to stiffen up the frame touches the front derailleur cable on the seattube (actually pushes the cable a bit) when the bike is at full travel.

Is this normal? U guys have the same thing happening to your bike as well?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by magpies14
    It's apparently a 2006 model, based on the previous seller posting....
    Just finished rebuilding the bike....

Frame - 2006/7 Santa Cruz Superlight (L size)
    Shock - Fox RP23
    Fork - Rock Shox Reba SL
    Shifters SRAM X9
    F - Der. XT
    R - Der. SRAM X9
    Cables/Housing Jagwire black
    Crankset/BB Shimano XT
    Casette SRAM PG-980
    Chain KMC X9
    Pedals Xtension Pedals
    Brakes XT Hydro Brakes with XT 180mm rotor in front and Avid G2 160mm in the rear
    Headset Chris King
    Stem Thomson Elite X4 70mm 0degree
    Seat Post Thomson Elite
    Bar Ritchie Low Riser Carbon
    Saddle Fizik Gobi XM
    Wheels American Classic Terrain 26"
    Tires Kenda Nevegal "Stick-E" 2.1

rough weight - 12.5 kg @ 27.5 lbs

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Superlight Rear Shock

I have a 2003 Large Superlight that I need to replace the rear shock on. The re-builds don't seem to take anymore. Can someone tell me what the travel is? I have tried a 2.25" from a Blur that should be right according to SC but the rear wheel hits the seat tube even when I run almost no sag. Oddly, my original rear shock will do the same when it's deflated but I've never had a rubbing problem with the original shock when it's set up. I've seen places that state the original rear shocks were 7.875X2.0. Could that be the problem? If someone knows for sure, I would appreciate it. Also any recommendations on brand/model for a replacement?RP23?

Page 18 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 ... LastLast