mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Superlight history / help needed

I have pretty much worn out my 2001 Superlight. I believe it is a large (it has the angled top tube). I have seen 2 other 2001s/2002s that have a straight top tube--would those be mediums? I ask because sellers are usually clueless.

Also--does anyone have a listing of the different generation of superlights?

I know the first gen was something like 98 to 99 that had a rider weight limit on it. The second generation was 2000 to ????? maybe 2004?

What changed in the next generation and what year did production shift overseas?

I just looked at the new 2013 Superlights and they look like they weigh more than my 2001 frame. Hmmmmm.

Any thoughts?

Also--if anyone has a like new second generation Superlight in Large--let me know--I am looking.

Warrior's Society
    For the money, you are better off picking up one of the nee generation SL's. no rider weight limit, stiffer frame, better rear shock, designed to run a longer fork, replaceable derailluer hanger, better tire clearance....frame weight should be the same if not a little lighter.....and a warranty.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member

uncertainty principle

Superlight Year and Size

Not sure if this will help but here are pics of my 2002 medium Superlight and the catalog (no geometry charts in the catalog). I did a rough measurement of my medium from the middle of the crank/bb hole to the top of the seatpost clamp as pictured and it was 18". And here's a link to the history of the Superlight:

The History of the Superlight - NSMB.com Mountain Bike Reviews, News, Photo and Video

Superlight history / help needed-dscn5598.jpg

Superlight history / help needed-dscn5600.jpg

Superlight history / help needed-dscn5604.jpg

Superlight history / help needed-dscn5605.jpg
    Bumper sticker spotted: "If you’re riding a single speed in the woods and no one sees you, is it still cool?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Centaurus View Post
    Not sure if this will help but here are pics of my 2002 medium Superlight and the catalog (no geometry charts in the catalog). I did a rough measurement of my medium from the middle of the crank/bb hole to the top of the seatpost clamp as pictured and it was 18". And here's a link to the history of the Superlight:
    Thanks for that history--I have actually run a coilover with a ti spring on my ver 2 superlight for about 10 years--and with a 120mm front shock.

I swear yours looks like a large to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    For the money, you are better off picking up one of the nee generation SL's. no rider weight limit, stiffer frame, better rear shock, designed to run a longer fork, replaceable derailluer hanger, better tire clearance....frame weight should be the same if not a little lighter.....and a warranty.
    SC always has a crash replacement warranty. The ver 2 has no rider weight limit--so that is not an issue--I don't do any jumps anyway. Also--10 years on my current frame and I have never had an issue with the derailleur hanger breaking or bending. I remember SC used to be so proud of not having a replaceable derailleur hanger--saying they did not need it and they beefed up the rear drop outs. Thanks for the input. The jury is still out. Especially with that sale deal!

uncertainty principle
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonMTB View Post
    Thanks for that history--I have actually run a coilover with a ti spring on my ver 2 superlight for about 10 years--and with a 120mm front shock.

I swear yours looks like a large to me.
    Yea, I think the seat tube measurements were a little different back then...the medium also had the bend in the top tube but I think it was a little more shallow than the large (I'm 5'7" -- right in the middle of the medium size chart and it fits me perfectly). I think the SL pictured in the catalog is the large, see how the bend goes back UP to connect to the seat tube where mine is straighter into the seat tube.

I loved my SL and rode it almost every weekend for 10 years and didn't have a single problem with the frame or suspension. I was lucky and picked up a TRc for a great price last year -- I would highly recommend going to a VPP if you can, the ride is amazing but it does require much more attention, setup and maintenance than the single pivot (along with the bike I picked up bike tools and do ALL my maintenance myself now).
    Last edited by Centaurus; 04-20-2013 at 08:03 AM.
    Bumper sticker spotted: "If you’re riding a single speed in the woods and no one sees you, is it still cool?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Centaurus View Post
    Yea, I think the seat tube measurements were a little different back then...the medium also had the bend in the top tube but I think it was a little more shallow than the large (I'm 5'7" -- right in the middle of the medium size chart and it fits me perfectly). I think the SL pictured in the catalog is the large, see how the bend goes back UP to connect to the seat tube where mine is straighter into the seat tube.
    On that history article--my 2001 or 2002 Superlight has the Made in US flag on the front triangle with the 2nd generation rear swing arm. Explain that one! The article says all 2nd generation models were made overseas????????? I got it straight from SC.

uncertainty principle
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonMTB View Post
    On that history article--my 2001 or 2002 Superlight has the Made in US flag on the front triangle with the 2nd generation rear swing arm. Explain that one! The article says all 2nd generation models were made overseas????????? I got it straight from SC.
    I noticed that - mine is a 2002 (2002 stamped on the bb w the serial number) but I have a Made in USA Flag on the back of the seat tube...

Warrior's Society
    They didn't go to overseas manufacturing until 2004 or so. My 2002 Chameleon was US made, but my 2004 was made overseas.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member

Al clean and ready for a 50km off road ride.

This bike is hardly clean. It'll be clean for 1-2 days before it gets dirty again. I use it as my daily commuting bike now.