mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Superlight Fork? 100mm or 80mm?

Anyone have a 100 mm on their superlight and switch to an 80mm? i have had a terrible time dialing in my med SL with a 100mmRLT. Switched btwn 120 and 130 mm stem and stack heights.

thinking about selling the 100mm and getting a 80. my other ride is a viscous metal guru with an 80mm. maybe thats what i like and the super lite is too slack a head angle?

any suggestions appreciated.

100mm fork 4-sure

I had a med SL with a 100mm Minute 2:00 and loved it. The very first day that I swithed from a 80mm fork to a 100mm, it was like "wow why didn't I do this sooner?" I'm not sure but I think that I had a 90mm stem. I'm 5'10ish and about 175 lbs (in the summer). I seam to remember that I would run my rear shock (float) lower than the recomended PSI, and the rebound about one or two clicks from full slow, but thats just me.

Good luck, stick with the 100mm fork.

Porch
    "If we were Vikings, Rocky Mountain aspen stands would be our Vahalla and its singletrack our bounty" - Mtn Flyer Mag #14

mtbr member
    i ride a SL M with a RLC 100... personally i think the head angle would be too steep with a 80mm fork. i have gone over the bars a few times even at the angle it is now on descents i could handle on my hardtail with an 80mm fork. I think youll regret it.

rad to the power of sick
    I tried a sid on my SL for about a month, I found that it gives the bike way to much of a racer feel. If i were racing I'd like the more aggressive geometry, but for anything else I'd prefer a 100 mm fork.

With a 100mm fork, its still racey enough and you're also able to tackle the more aggressive trails.

So in a sense, the 100 mm fork blurs the line between XC racer/trail fun bike.

cheers,
    Aaron

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

I race an SL with a 100mm

I've been racing an SL for 4 years now. rear end is pushed, xtr disc, etc. For 4 years I ran a cheap marzocchi mxc 100mm on the front, and ti certainly never felt as fast as my hardtail with an 80mm skareb. So I had thought about going to an 80mm fork in hopes it would speed up the cornering. But I just dropped the coin for a Reba Team 100mm with remote poploc, and it made a difference-- I knew I could move spacers to get it to 80 if I wanted to try it. I haven't bothered to try it at 80mm yet, it feels to good at 100. Locked out, the head angle is still steep enough that it does not wander on climbs, and it sprints like a rocket. In motion, I have the fork setup fairly supple and the fork sags/dives just enough around corners, etc, that the head angle is plenty steep to steer quickly. With the reba 100, I can dial the rebound and compression so well that it definitely corners faster than with my old fork. BTW, I run lg frame, 100mm stem, flat bar, and about 12mm seat to bar drop-- fairly aggressive position.

I think the way you have your fork dialed in and your basic saddle/bar/stem position will have a MUCH greater effect on how you corner than whether you have 80 or 100.

banned
    Apr 2004

Haven't tried my superlite with 100mm

Quote Originally Posted by jomissa
    Anyone have a 100 mm on their superlight and switch to an 80mm? i have had a terrible time dialing in my med SL with a 100mmRLT. Switched btwn 120 and 130 mm stem and stack heights.

thinking about selling the 100mm and getting a 80. my other ride is a viscous metal guru with an 80mm. maybe thats what i like and the super lite is too slack a head angle?

any suggestions appreciated.

I am ready for a rebuild on my RLT 80 and have a reputable shop that says they can change the RLT 80 to 100 (which I didn't think was possible with the RLT)
    but I hesitate going 100mm because I like a fast twitchy front end and this 80mm setup feels at home on the tight rough singletrack downs and I can climb some real sketchy steep stuff without clicking out.

Redwood Dancer
    I have to second this advice. I had a 80mm marz on my SL for YEARS. The guys at my LBS always said don't go over 80mm or you'll ruin the geometry... man was I stupid to listen to them. I still get pissed just thinking about it!!!!

Soooo, one year ago I bought a Fox Talas-R 130mm and put it on the SL. I cranked it down to 100mm and couldn't believe it was the same bike. Everything was better. Stable on fireroads, calmer on dropoffs, better jumping, not so twitchy... I could go on for days on this list. PLEASE, DON'T GO TO 80MM ON A SUPERLIGHT --- BIG MISTAKE (unless your a midget riding a small size one).
    RAIL OR F*!%#!*^G BAIL

Redwood Dancer
    Not only that but you'll get more pedal smack... which the SL is notorious for anyway.
    RAIL OR F*!%#!*^G BAIL

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    It's been a while since I had my superlight (about 3 years ago), but in it's latest outfit it had a 100mm Fox Float on it. It was the best setup ever for my superlight (before the Fox I ran a 80mm manitou fork) . When I got the Fox I first started learning there is a world out there other than XC ... The bike handled simply great in XC as well as on technical single track.
    It handled so well, my riding skills went up a notch in a short while. Soon after, I was at the local SC dealer looking for a Heckler (that was in 2003 when the first new model Hecklers hit the shops) ...

Jus' Ridin' Along
    I can't believe no one suggested an adjustable travel fork! I started with an 80mm on my SL in '00, then switched to a Psylo w/ U-Turn when they first came out. What a cool way to go... crank it down for the "ups" or for when I wanted that twitchy too steep of a head angle feel, then crank it out for a slacker angle and better manners on the downs.
    I currently have a Minute w/ the RWTD feature on my SL (the lowest it goes is 90mm, actually a nice feel) and a TALAS on my Blur LT. Here in SoCal where it's either up or down, it's nice to have a choice.
    BTW, my gal has a Zoke MX comp with the ETA feature on hers, and 2 of her "Supalite Sistas" switched to those after seeing that (2 settings: 85mm and 105mm [I think]). Very simple and a sweet fork.