Rat Fink

Superlight dropouts

I heard the dropouts on the Superlight are non-replacable - can anybody confirm?

I assume that means if you bend, you're on the hook for a new swingarm. Is that correct? Anybody shed any insight if it's a big problem or nothing to worry about?
    Raspberries, nature's poison ivy bait. (Formerly, 'Stops to eat the raspberries.')

Gittyup!
    Confirmed... the SL does not have a replaceable drop-out / der. hanger. If you bend it, and it can't be bent back, then yup, it's time for a new swing-arm under the SC crash replacement program.

If you look at the swing-arm you'll see that it's pretty stout at the drops. For what its worth, I've never had a problem w/ my SL der. hanger after plenty of riding, nor have I heard much of anything on these forums or on the trails about people actually having issues. Mostly just people worried about it.

Bottom line, if you have your heart set on a Superlight and like the way it rides, I wouldn't let that issue stop you from buying one. It's a great bike. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by mbmojo
    I heard the dropouts on the Superlight are non-replacable - can anybody confirm?

I assume that means if you bend, you're on the hook for a new swingarm. Is that correct? Anybody shed any insight if it's a big problem or nothing to worry about?

TR
    Angry bunny

I would not be worried about it.
    If you hit your derailleur on something hard enough to bend the SL's hanger, chances are that you have also hit it hard enough to break the swing arm too.
    It is one solid lump of metal.

mtbr member
    I have an '03 SL. I've abused it to no end. Banged the drop a dozen times. Broke the derailleur three times, and never a scratch to my dropout. The SL is a beast. After three years of riding I just replaced the pivots which is recommended every few years.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

I bent my dropout after about a year. Got it straightened and never had a problem in the two following years I had the bike. Broke plenty of deraillieurs, though.