mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Superlight D XC vs R XC?

Hey all, I'm taking a serious look at a Superlight as my first full suspension bike. I'm trying to decide whether it is worth the extra money to make an upgrade to the R XC kit.

The D XC would include a Rockshox Recon silver fork, and the R XC with a Fox Alps 120.

Kit specs can be found here: http://santacruzbicycles.com/superlight/#kits.php

Any thoughts? Thanks, and happy holidays.

k^2
    Flamingo
    Dec 2007
    Fork out few more $ and get a Blur.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by k^2
    While I agree with this statement (its what I did after all) unless you are getting a BLOW-OUT deal on a superlight (which would be well below $2K) I would save my money and go for a Nickel or Blur. The Superlight is a tired design in my opinion. However, your budget is what it is, and if your budget says "Superlight" and you are set on getting a FS now, then go for it. Its not a bad bike by any means . . . not even close. But the cost/benefit ratio of upgrading to a new design is tremendous.

In more direct response to your question, I would definitely recommend upgrading to the R kit if you decide to go that route. In addition to a (slightly) better fork, the rest of the componentry is pretty well upgraded from the D kits.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Back in 2006 I bought a Superlight 'D XC' and its been my primary bike since then (also my first FS bike). I bought it because I wanted to do some XC racing plus general trail riding. I think the strengths are that it carves up singletrack really well, and climbs nicely. On the downside, it has a really low BB and is at a disadvantage for descending.

In the first couple years I upgraded at least half of the components to try and reduce weight, since the complete D XC bike weighed over 30 lb with pedals (definitely NOT super light). I don't think this is the most cost-effective route, so I'd recommend the R XC package. I don't know the Alps fork at all, but the drivetrain components look pretty solid.

Maybe you've already done this but I suggest you think more about the type of riding you do now and what you might want to be doing in a couple years, if you're just getting started with FS. My Superlight has been great but I think there are more versatile machines in the SC lineup, and maybe a Nickel or a closeout BLT would work better for you. Do you ride with a group? What style of bikes do the people who've got a little more experience ride?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by k^2
    If by a 'few' you mean at or over $1,000 more then yeah. He's looking at the two least expensive build kits, so I'm assuming he either cant afford a better build/ or a BlurXC.

To the OP. . . . I picked up a Superlight R XC maybe 7 months ago, but upgraded to the RP23 shock and F100 fork so I spent around $2,400. The bike has been an absolute BLAST to own.If like me you pretty much only ride XC trails, it's a great bike that I would gladly buy again in a heartbeat. If you're looking for a more all around trailbike then I'd look at something with a bit more travel. If the Superlight is what suits you, it's definatly worth the few extra bucks to upgrade the build kit.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Go! Ninja Go!
    If by a 'few' you mean at or over $1,000 more then yeah. He's looking at the two least expensive build kits, so I'm assuming he either cant afford a better build/ or a BlurXC.

To the OP. . . . I picked up a Superlight R XC maybe 7 months ago, but upgraded to the RP23 shock and F100 fork so I spent around $2,400.
    My 2011 BlurLT with RP23 and 150 FLOAT RLC was just under $3K out the door . . .

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7
    My 2011 BlurLT with RP23 and 150 FLOAT RLC was just under $3K out the door . . .
    When I think Blur I think carbon BlurXC. If the OP was thinking Superlight which is solely an XC bike, I think of the XC oriented Blur.

Warrior's Society
    I usually recomend getting the highest kit you can afford.....it will always be cheaper to get those upgraded parts in a kit package than it would be trying to buy them piece by piece.

SC usually does a pretty good job of putting together thier build kits.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Maybe this might make things easier--I'm in high school, and I ride for fun and maybe a few races in the future. My budget (preferably as low as possible) would be around $1500-2000 tops. If I could, I would definitely go for the Blur, but the Superlight seems to be more in my price range.

b a n n e d
    Honestly, you can definitely afford a Blur for $2K. Snag one of the remaining ChainLove deals and get the frame for ~$900. Then buy the best components you can afford with the other $1K and build your own bike. Honestly, you'll learn something in the process, appreciate your bike even more knowing you put it together, and you'll have a bike you can grow into instead of growing out of. Plus learning to wrench your own bike is a skill that will last you a lifetime.

mtbr member
    Superlights are KILLER!

Especially so with the platform damping that's available on today's shocks.

This is the bike that put SC on the map.

Sure, it's an "old" suspension design, but it still holds up.

It's a great frame.

SC's warranty/customer support is part of what you're buying.

Go for it and get riding.

Both component specs you sited are good.

If you've got the cash, go for the higher end option.

But, in reality, even the base level is good quality and you'll be getting a fair deal on a new bike.

If you were looking for a longer travel option=5+" then def look at a BLT or Heckler. But, if it's a great 4" travel XC rig you are looking for, you'll love the Superlight. The "advantages" of a Blur/VPP suspension aren't as pronounced as some would have you believed on a shorter travel XC bike.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7
    Honestly, you can definitely afford a Blur for $2K. Snag one of the remaining ChainLove deals and get the frame for ~$900. Then buy the best components you can afford with the other $1K and build your own bike. Honestly, you'll learn something in the process, appreciate your bike even more knowing you put it together, and you'll have a bike you can grow into instead of growing out of. Plus learning to wrench your own bike is a skill that will last you a lifetime.
    Doing your own spec and ordering everything might be too much of an adventure for a high school student.

If you parents allow you to temporary borrow...then order the super light frame, then wait til 2011, and buy a 2010 bike online. Once both orders are here, swap the parts, then sell the extra 2010 frame as "new" on craigslist.

Much simpler this way, and you end up with a bike that would have cost 500 to 1000 more.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyli
    Maybe this might make things easier--I'm in high school, and I ride for fun and maybe a few races in the future. My budget (preferably as low as possible) would be around $1500-2000 tops. If I could, I would definitely go for the Blur, but the Superlight seems to be more in my price range.
    [oldguy] My first two cars didn't cost $2000! Combined! [/oldguy]

Seriously, I think the Superlight would make a great first FS bike for you. You have to be careful asking questions on MTBR because people will always talk you up in $$ (whereas it doesn't cost them anything). That's just the nature of the 'enthusiast'.

Go for the D XC complete, ride the heck out of it, then in a few years when you've got a job you can think about forking over the $$ to upgrade. You'll better appreciate what you've got.

mtbr member
    If you shop around, you may get lucky like me and find a Superlight with the R XC kit selling for the same price as the D XC kit. Although the only difference was that mine came came with LX shifters rather than SLX.

The guy at my local shop mentioned that sometimes SC will bundle various leftover components with a frame and sell them at a discount to the shop.
    "To be the man, you gotta BEAT the man!...Whoooh!"

mtbr member
    I bought a superlight and rode it for about 1 month, took it to downieville, sold it and bought a 575. I highly suggest 5" or more of travel, Blur, 575, any other number of more travel bikes. Once you ride 4" of suspension, your first thought is "man 4" feels good, but I wonder how good 5-1/2" feels"

It feels good. I already think about moving up to a nomad or 7...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckb77
    I bought a superlight and rode it for about 1 month, took it to downieville, sold it and bought a 575. I highly suggest 5" or more of travel, Blur, 575, any other number of more travel bikes. Once you ride 4" of suspension, your first thought is "man 4" feels good, but I wonder how good 5-1/2" feels"

I was actually debating between the 4 inches vs longer travel, and I would probably be able to get a stumpy comp for the same price as the R XC--I may actually go that way instead (sorry santacruz! maybe a blur when I'm in college

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckb77

All depends on where you ride. I ride nothing but tight and twisty root infested singletrack and the Superlight is absolutely perfect. Can't think of a single 5 1/2 inch bike I'd rather ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyli
    I was actually debating between the 4 inches vs longer travel, and I would probably be able to get a stumpy comp for the same price as the R XC--I may actually go that way instead (sorry santacruz! maybe a blur when I'm in college

Get the Santa Cruz, I feel they are better specced than Specialized bikes. Also, you are probably not going to have any more money in college.

You said you may race, well the Superlight is going to be great for that, but what area of the country are you in? What type of riding is the closest? Where are you going to go to college? What is the type of riding close to campus?

You came to the Superlight instead of the Heckler for a reason, why was that?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddSquirrel
    Get the Santa Cruz, I feel they are better specced than Specialized bikes. Also, you are probably not going to have any more money in college.

You said you may race, well the Superlight is going to be great for that, but what area of the country are you in? What type of riding is the closest? Where are you going to go to college? What is the type of riding close to campus?

You came to the Superlight instead of the Heckler for a reason, why was that?
    I am in the Bay Area, and I plan on staying here for college if I can. Not sure about racing (cause of my parents), but I doubt I'll be doing any races while in high school. I'm considering the Superlight over the Heckler simply based on price--it is about $200 cheaper (new).

Village Dirtbag
    On that tight of a budget, you might want to consider used. There are some great bikes out there. Just lower your budget a couple hundred bucks on the used bike in case you have to replace some bearings, drivetrain parts, fork seals, etc. Then, you might be able to get a much lighter, better riding Blur. Don't be afraid of the Blur classic if it's in good shape- great bike. I'm still riding the piss out of my '03. It's quiet and I've only had to do pivot bearings once. I estimate about 7500 miles on it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    If you decide to go with buying frame separate:

Wait for the Chainlove.com Santa Cruz LT2 frame deal for $859 or skip the web monitoring and just go to the affiliated Departmentofgoods.com side and get one for $1050
    ( however, they have only a few XL and M and S sizes remaining)

You can get a Blur carbon XC frame at Competitive Cyclist for $1799

Also just received a email from Colorado Cyclist on some SC Superlight and LT2 frames for sale:

Santa Cruz Blur LT 2 Frame SM Black

List Price: $1942.00

Our Price: $1499.99

Santa Cruz Blur LT 2 Frame SM White

Santa Cruz Blur LT 2 Frame MD Yellow

Santa Cruz Blur LT 2 Frame MD Lime