mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Superlight build

Hi

I currently have a Bullit and am contemplating a Superlight as an XC bike.

My question is - if I want to build it up as nice XC bike that can also handle the occassional trail ride - 2 foot drops and technical rooty stuff - what would be a good rough weight to aim for... 26lbs is my thinking.

I am 5 11 and weigh 78kg.
    Last edited by ChrisFFTA; 03-20-2006 at 11:12 PM.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFFTA
    Hi

My question is - if I want to build it up as nice XC bike that can also handle the occassional trail ride - 2 foot drops and technical rooty stuff - what would be a good rough weight to aim for... 26lbs is my thinking.

It is going to end up weighin more than that. My wife's Superlight weighs in at about 27.5 lbs. built up like this:

Superlight Medium/5th Air
    Marzocchi MX Pro
    SRAM x.9 Shifters
    SRAM x.9 R. Derailluer
    Shimano XT F. Derailluer
    Hayes 6" Hydro F&R
    XT Disc/Mavic 717 F&R
    Truvativ Stylo Team Cranks
    FSA Platinum BB
    Thomson Post
    FSA XC 115 Stem
    Easton EA50 bar
    King HS
    Terry Saddle
    XT Cassette
    WTB Exi Wolf Race 2.1 F
    WTB Nanoraptor Race 2.1 R
    Shimano 540 pedals

The only place to really lose weight will be in the wheels and by doing so will make for a weaker wheel.

Compared to your Bullit, any thing under 30 lbs. will seem really light.

mtnbikej

i wear armor cus I suk

... and if we just ... superlight conversion

Well this is what I have done this year. My SL is a 2001 version. (set up below). Back in the day the best trail bike seemed to be the best XC bike. Not so anymore. As I get older I am becoming less concerned with being the fastest on the climb, or being lighting quick on the trails, to being more concerned with really enjoying the ride, more comfort, and less "work" and more "fun". Thus I fugured a BLT or Nomad was the ticket. Rode them both.

Well, the Nomad was the ticket, but at a cost of $8,000. You see, no way I was getting one w/o my wife getting one as well. So the conversion of my 25 lb outstanding XC weapon into more of a trail bike began. I think it is over now but it never really ends does it It is awesome baby!! With only a few changes.

I am 6-1 and 185 - 190 w/ gear

Old set up.

SL large frame
    King disc hubs laced to 317 rim front and 717 rear 32 spoke, Alloy nipples
    Hope C2 breaks w/ braded cables
    Sid 100
    Fox Float RL
    XT front Der.
    XTR rear.
    XTR cassette
    XTR chain
    XTR shifters
    Easton CT2 carbon flat bar
    Stella seat
    Thompson post
    Thompson 120 mm stem
    959 SPD pedals
    Continental Explorer Pro's 2.0 front, 1.85 rear

Weight with pedals, just over 25 lbs.

Here are the changes:

* REBA Team U-turn - awesome
    - (115 mm changed the rake, stiffer, plusher, adjustability) adds about 0.5 #
    * Monkey lite hi rise bar (taller and wider than flat)
    * Comfy ODI lock on grips
    * Spacers to get the seat at or just below the bar
    * Panaracer Cindars 2.25 all around. These things are incredible and are the best tires I have ever run. They deserve their own review, but (and I hate to say this because it can't really be true can it??) there are times when these go over wet roots better than the conti's went over dry ones. + 0.5 #

I expect (but have not weighed) that I am right around 27 lbs

The bike is transformed. Smoother, easier and more fun to ride. Ok with the beefier rubber my rocket accelleration is down to jet like proportions, but is by no means a dog. It rides EVERYTHING better. It still rocks on the trails and the climbs. I needed to make some brain and body adjustments on climbs but easily done. Does it make me not want a Nomad? No, but I can enjoyably ride this puppy for the next year or two and not look back.

ps. I do 2 foot drops on this bike all of the time and it is not a problem. Likely threes would be max at my weight.

Jus' Ridin' Along

SL xc build

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFFTA
    Hi

My '01 SL is tipping right around 26 with this build:
    Lrg frame w/ Swinger 3 shock (eliminates need for lock out and has been more reliable than Fox)
    Bontrager rims, alloy nips 15/16 spks on King hubs
    XO twisties, XO rr mech, xt frnt mech
    Avid Ultimate linear pull brakes w/ Paul LP levers (rims are ceramic, brakes work as good as mech. discs and way lighter)
    Race Face LP Turbine cranks (42/32/20), Race Face Ti Taperlock bb, SRAM 32/11 cassette
    Ti WTB saddle
    RaceFace XY post and antique Ringle stem (sorry, not purple; wish it was), Easton MonkeyLite crbn bars, cut down SRAM grips, plastic lizard on stem
    Minute 3 fork w/ Race Face headset
    Currently have Kenda 2.35 Nevegal up frnt (hope it wears out soon, heavy and sloroller) and wtb 2.1 velociraptor rear (traction but slo) filled w/ Stans NoToobs.
    I had it around 25 w/ a SID, but that fork sckd.
    I've used it for lite all mountain, Telluride to Moab w/ panniers(6 days), Gooseberry, Sierra, etc.; all good.

But my BLT is at 28.5 lbs, and much cusher, so the SL doesn't see as much dirt as it should (plus I have to fix a stripped derail hanger).
    Have fun with that bike!

i wear armor cus I suk

yup

I agree,no question the Blur is a better more "modern" ride that the SL can't match in my opinion. Both the Nomad and the Blur were superior to the SL I thought. I was just impressed at how much better the bike is as a trail bike with those simple mod's.

Hey I forgot about cranks in my setup, I do run RF Next cranks and a Phil Wood Ti BB and a RF bash ring. These rides are fun arn't they! But I can easily see if I got a Blur or a Nomad my trusty steed would sit as well. So I guess to address the original post, If I were building a xc bike now a single pivot SL would not be the first choice. .

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    keep em coming guys

what are peoples thoughts on the 200g manitou s-type srl shocks?

utilitarian biker
    I've got a bullit as well. It is now my long travel trail bike supporting 6" travel in the front. I bought it after riding my SL since '99. I still have it and still ride the SL on training rides (hill climbing fire roads) My SL wieghs in at 29 lbs. My bullit is at 38lbs. I'll ride the bullit on the epics, because the suspension is so sweet and I still clilmb hills all day with the 5th element rear shock..

99 SL
    2000 MArz Z1CR
    Mavic Crossmax
    XTR drivetrain
    Fox float RC
    crank bros egg beater C
    Hellbent riser bar
    Hayes Mag brakes

Here is a pic of the SL on the back of our reserve rig.