mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Superlight Bent Rear Derailleur DropOut

I just got a Superlight, 1998, with the rear derailleur dropout bent. Can the dropout be straighten, or do I need to get a replacement rear triangle? If I need to get a replacement triangle, are they available?

thanks
    ron

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    may be search ebay for a complete frame, you never know one might come up, or contact SC they may have one in stock!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Are you talking about the derailer hanger or dropout where the wheel mounts. Replaceable derailer hangers are usually adjustable with the right tool. And the hanger alignment can have a big (not good) effect on shifting. The derailer mounting point should be adjusted so that it is in the same plane as the rim so it may have to be bent both vertically and horizontally.
    Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The frame does not have a removable rear derailleur hanger. The rear derailleur hanger is part of the dropout.

ron

I'd try and straighten it (with a Park DAG-1 personally), but it is aluminum and do you know if this has been done before? I'm betting that SC doesn''t have that swingarm any more but it never hurts to check. I've got an old Heckler (99 or so) with the same permanent hanger deal and have only had to make a minor adjustment or two with the DAG-1 but I haven't ridden that bike much the last several years either...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Just another FOC'er
    I bent the derailleur hangers back on my 97 Hecker and 01 Bullit multiple times. A couple were really bad bends caused by the derailleur going into the spokes. I eventually had to helicoil new threads into the Bullit hanger, but other than that they are still working fine. Like my frames, I think your Superlight is 6061 aluminum as well. True? The 7000 series aluminum is more brittle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    It's possible it can still be straightened. Depends on a number of factors. See a good mechanic in a reputable LBS who can determine if that's a realistic possibility for your frame. But for proper shifting it is important for it to be aligned in the same plane as the rim.
    Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save