mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Superlight 29water bottle space?

So I just built up a large SL29. I went to put a bottle in the cage but nope! It doesn't fit. Why have I not heard of this before and why is it designed like this. Makes no sense. Often on short rides I like to go with a small seat bag and a bottle and leave the cumbersome Camelbak at home. It looks like maybe I can flip the shock and squeeze a bottle in. I really don't like mounting shocks in the dorky upside down position but it might be my only choice. Other than that I love the bike so far. Rear suspension is surprisingly great, and I've ridden alot of bikes. Anyone else have this problem? I don't remember seeing other shocks flipped.

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Check this thread out: From a SC Superlight 26 to a Superlight 29 and mini-review. Near the end of thread, one poster states a Bontrager sideswipe cage will work. You can also use the bottom down tube mount, but that mount allows mud to collect on the bottle. A covered water bottle with a flip lid would work on the bottom mount.

Warrior's Society
    We flipped the shock around on my wife's Tallboy so that she could run a waterbottle on the inside of the frame.

With the shock in the normal position, the bottle would run up against the Propedal lever.

We also went with the Bontrager side load cage. Works really well.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Lezyne also do a nice side load cage, in tasty carbon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I tried a Specialized Z cage, which usually works well in tight spots. The bottle won't clear the CTD lever. Not just tight, won't even fit in. I'll try to look at the Bontrager cage and the Lezyne. I just sold a bike with a generic cage that had the slider clamps. If I can find one of those that might be the answer. For the trails that I ride the under down tube mount wouldn't work. Plus the guys I ride with don't let up long enough for me to stop and get the bottle out. Also, reching down during a ride would make for an awesome youtube moment!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I just built one up myself and noticed the same thing... although with the smaller water bottle I'm using, it just barely fits. I think eventually I'll just flip the shock upside-down to give myself a little more clearance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I put on a 2014 Specialized Z cage that has a flat base vs the canted base of previous models. I also flipped the shock and put a Lizard Skin on it. Fits a large bottle but just barely I'm still going to look at the Bontrager bottles.it. The CTD is great on my bike. I was also wondering if the lever on the CTD sticks out more than the RL. If so it's still worth Thanks for all of the input. I'll keep playing with it and post up any good results.