mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Superlight 29 vs Tallboy Carbon

Anyone have any experience with both the super light 29 and the tallboy Carbon bikes?

I've demoed the super light 29 and loved it. Definitely felt it needed a 120mm front fork. Loved the way it compressed and firmed up whilst pedalling on the flat and climbs. It felt like more like a hard tail on the descents, which was ok, but left me wondering for something a little more plush in this area.

Only had time to try the Tallboy Alu for a few minutes in a smallish parking lot, suspension felt very plush from the off, but i was unable to really tell what it would be like for distance on the road (flat) and climbs.

I guess I'm wondering if the tallboy will pedal as well and as spritely. Is it the best of both bikes, fast to climb, great flat peddling manners (i often ride to my off road spots) and plush on the way down?

I could pop the front end of the superlight and ride on the rear whilst climbing (partially down to the fact that it shoots up hill), something I've never been able to do on a full suspension bike before. Would a boost valved kashima shock retain the super lights pedal firmness yet make it a smoother descender?

Torn between the two options really, kinda sold on santa cruz either way.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I wonder the same thing.
    The price difference between a SL 29er and a Carbon Tallboy is quite huge. Would the SL 29er with an upgrade to a really nice set of wheels for XC and 8hr. endurance racing be a big downgrade from a Tallboy?? I'm thinking the new Mavic SLR 29ers or DT 240's with Stans rims or something...
    I get that a carbon frame is stiffer and will ride more plush with VPP, but why would SC build a 29er SL if it so outdated and gives a poor quality ride. There are no SL 29ers for me to test ride in my area so any advice is appreciated. Do you get pedal feedback or 'bob' when pedaling a SL on climbs?
    Any idea when they will have a frame only option for the SL?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    i think most people would tell you the Tallboy would climb better than the SL. the VPP makes climbing more firm and bob less IMO than a single pivot (used to ride a Superlight 26 but now ride a Blur LTc). If youve got the money, the Tallboy would perform better. The question is whether or not it performs $1,500 (or whatever it costs more) better than the Superlight,

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The Super light does bob a little with no dampening - open setting, but it's only noticeable when you stand and pedal hard, generally it's very good. The thing i like about it is that it firms up when you pedal, so it makes the bike pull forward with your pedal stroke more immediately than i've found on other suspension platforms. This appeals greatly on road and sweeping trails more than anywhere else.

If the tallboy has the same kind of compelling pedal action then I'm pulling the trigger on a carbon model.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    The question is whether or not it performs $1,500 (or whatever it costs more) better than the Superlight,
    For the $1500 difference what kind of upgrades could you get on the SL29? You could probably get a really sweet wheelset and upgraded component group. Also what kind of riding do you do?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I had a 2004 original Blur and a 06 Superlight, both 26" of course. I really cannot remember a bunch of differences between the two bikes, except that I hated the blur because of the creaking bearings! I do remember riding the SL and wondering why I ever spent the extra $$ on a blur in the first place. Maybe it's because I had a bad experience with the Blur. Now, I'm sure a Carbon frame TB is whole diff. beast, but a $1000 plus difference for a frame, I don't know.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Kananaskis View Post
    I get that a carbon frame is stiffer and will ride more plush with VPP, but why would SC build a 29er SL if it so outdated and gives a poor quality ride..Ö
    Thanks!
    Simple......different price points. Some people can't/won't drop the money on the nicer VPP bike.....so at least they have another option for SC FS 29er.

The Superlight rides very nice.....just different from from the Tallboy. Considering the Superlight has been around since the late '90s.....don't fix what ain't broke.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Iím lucky enough to be riding both . . . Iíve had the TBc for over a year, and just like most reviews indicate; itís a great bike, but lots of $. Just finished building an SL29 from the frame up over a month ago, and have been very happy with it. Have put over 100 miles in varied terrain, and it has handled everything as good as my TBc.

The two feel very similar geometry wise. If I was to sum up the riding differences between the two Ė TBc climbs better with the VPP and since itís 2lbs lighter, but Iím thinking the SL29 descends better (plusher). It also does not really have noticeable bob when pedaling. Also, keep in mind there is a $2K difference between the two bikes.

In summary, if you have the $$$$ definitely go for the TBc; but if not, youíll be happy with the SL29. Itís also a great bike. Both are keepers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Superlight 29 vs Tallboy Carbon-dsc04347.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Sweet UT29ers!

What size are those and they both look like XT builds any idea on the weights?

What wheels are you running. Thanks very much.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks. Just for reference, Iím 5í11Ē, 170 lbs. Both are Large frames, and fit perfectly. Medium frames were just too small for me. Weights: TBc = 24.9 Lbs, SL29 = 27.5 lbs. They are both XT builds, except running a 3x9 drivetrain on SL29 -- X9 shifters & Rear Der.

I used some parts I had, and wheels from TBc to build up my SL29. I would say the build is comparable to, or slightly better than the stock SL29 RXC build Santa Cruz offers.

Build breakdowns are as follows:

TBc = SPX Stock build, except running Stans Crest wheels with Ignitors, set up tubeless.

SL29 = Fox 29 RLC 100, 3x9 XT/X9 drivetrain, XT brakes, Mavic/DT Swiss wheels (from TB) with Ignitors tubeless, Race Face Carbon cockpit (HB, Stem, Seatpost).

Hope this helps anyone else comparing/considering these. As stated before, both are great bikes, but obviously different price points. They ride very similarly, and it makes for a seamless transition when switching rides between the two.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    thats a great comparison UT29ers, nice to hear from somebody who has both, thanks for posting.
    here we go again

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Would the Superlight ride better still with a Fox kashima platform shock?
    For that matter would the Tallboy C ride noticably better with the kashima upgrade?

UT29ers, Thanks for the feedback, does either bike pedal better on the road, between trails?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I'm waiting for my Superlight 29 as we speak. Should be at my LBS any day now. The 2013 RXC kit is now coming with the new Fox CTD rear shock and 120mm fork. Not sure if it will improve pedaling, but I ordered mine before I knew about the changes so obviously I thought it was good enough as it was.

I can't compare it to a TBc by any personal experience but one of the shop employees has been on a TBc for a year and was skeptical of the Superlight. He rode one for a while at the demo and was very impressed by it. He said it handled like his tallboy and was a blast to ride.