mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Superlight 29 to a tallboy c...LT?

I finally made the move to the 29'er last year and I find myself grabbing it more often than my 26/27.5" despite it being a "nicer" bike. I was skeptical of the 29'er idea so I opted for a more "reasonably priced" one to try, knowing that the upgrade bug would bite sooner if I liked it. Now the bug has been gnawing at me and I'm trying to decide if I should stay with the same travel that I have on the SL or go up to the LT. I don't really do any big drops anymore so my riding is primarily New England singletrack. Does anyone have experience with riding both tallboys or going from the SL to the tallboy c? I'm wondering if the LT will be overkill for me.

I'm starting to think that I'm just not meant to be on a longer travel bike or I haven't found the right one for me. For reference, I had a Nomad that I liked a lot in the bike park and on local downhill stuff but I bought the wrong size (my mistake) and didn't like it for local XC stuff as the top tube felt too short. Now I have a Mojo HD 140 that I like but don't love. I built it to be "the one" bike but I think it misses the mark on everything by just a little bit. It's a great bike but it doesn't feel nearly as plush as my Nomad felt at the bike park and I don't like it as much as the SL on my local trails. Anyway, I'm leaning toward the tallboy c now but I don't want to be kicking myself for not going with the LT later on. I'm hoping my LBS will be hosting a demo day in the spring so I can try them both out but it's been my experience that I never really get the feel of a bike until I've owned it for a while.

Thanks for any input! (Sorry, I'm a little long winded)

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Get the Tallboy LTc. Based on the kind of bikes you've ridden and what you've liked, it will probably end up being as close to your "one bike" as anything so far.

I had a Tallboy C for about a year. I loved it, but I wanted something to give me even more confidence riding technical terrain at speed. The Tallboy LTc was exactly that, and it gives up very little, if anything, on the climbs. It actually climbs technical pitches better, in my opinion. The only time I ever find myself missing my Tallboy is on the occasional very smooth, flat, single track. When you are really hammering, the Tallboy was a rocketship. I do so little of that kind of riding, though, that it doesn't matter. The LTc holds speed so much better in technical terrain that for most "trail" type scenarios, I'm considerably faster on it. Also keep in mind that the difference in weight between the two frames is about 2 oz. The main weight difference in any build will be the larger fork you'd probably run on the LTc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Also get the LTc. I have owned both for awhile[ 9 months on the LTc] and the LTc doesn't give up many of the good traits of the TBc while improving several of the misses. The BB height is up[pedal strikes] and the steering is calmer in rocks. I worried about steep climbs on the LTc and its just as good as the TBc in IMO. The 34mm fork is amazing much better than the 32 on the TBc. If your even considering the LT you should give it a try.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Thanks for the feedback!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    +1 for LT. Started on a TBa, moved to the TBLTa about 6-7 months ago and love it.

As you probably know (if you've been on this forum more than 5 minutes) SC looks to have a 650b bike coming out in a couple of weeks. If I were you I would hold off for at least a little while as you might see a few TBLTc's come on the used market when people jump on the latest thing...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Good point! I won't do anything right away, I have to sell the Mojo before anything happens. It may be hard for me to hold out on this one but I normally wait until July to buy my new bikes since I get a fat check with my uniform allowance in it. One of these years I'm actually going to have to buy uniforms with it...but probably not this year

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I own a SL29 and just took a TB LTc out for a good ride the other day. After my ride on the LT my only question is, why do they still make the 100mm version? Seriously, there was basically no compromise in climbing/pedaling compared to my superlight. Granted, the superlight is a single-pivot bike, so the 100mm TB may climb better than the Superlight, but as you know, the SL is no slouch in pedaling performance.

When i rode the LT I was expecting to notice the suspension, in good and bad ways. I actually didn't notice it as much as i thought i would. What i did notice was what i think must have been frame stiffness. It was a very rocky trail and i noticed that the LTc tracked much better through the especially rocky parts, as compared to my SL. I'd been thinking the SL seemed flexy and the LT confirmed this.

The LT was actually not as plush as i was expecting. I lowered the air pressure in both ends once, and had I done more riding i would have let even more out. I think i prefer a plusher ride than most people, and tend to run pretty low pressure in my SL to get there, but that results in pretty frequent bottoming out.

Anyway, the LTc is NOT too much bike. It's a fantastic bike, still pretty XC oriented. I think i'm going to go for a Transition Bandit29 myself. But the LTc is probably better for more XC oriented riding.
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyS600 View Post
    I own a SL29 and just took a TB LTc out for a good ride the other day. After my ride on the LT my only question is, why do they still make the 100mm version? Seriously, there was basically no compromise in climbing/pedaling compared to my superlight. Granted, the superlight is a single-pivot bike, so the 100mm TB may climb better than the Superlight, but as you know, the SL is no slouch in pedaling performance.

When i rode the LT I was expecting to notice the suspension, in good and bad ways. I actually didn't notice it as much as i thought i would. What i did notice was what i think must have been frame stiffness. It was a very rocky trail and i noticed that the LTc tracked much better through the especially rocky parts, as compared to my SL. I'd been thinking the SL seemed flexy and the LT confirmed this.

The LT was actually not as plush as i was expecting. I lowered the air pressure in both ends once, and had I done more riding i would have let even more out. I think i prefer a plusher ride than most people, and tend to run pretty low pressure in my SL to get there, but that results in pretty frequent bottoming out.

Anyway, the LTc is NOT too much bike. It's a fantastic bike, still pretty XC oriented. I think i'm going to go for a Transition Bandit29 myself. But the LTc is probably better for more XC oriented riding.
    Something I've noticed with my TB LTc... at a certain point, it actually feels plusher with more air in the shock. My understanding of the VPP leverage rate is that it is regressive in the early stroke and progressive towards the end. So if you run too deep in to the stroke at sag, it can actually feel harsh over small stuff. I was really skeptical about using the recommended pressure for my riding weight, but it actually felt great. I would also say that in general, the bike gets plusher the faster and harder you ride it. The small bump compliance is fine, but it's not a bike designed to make 4 mph chatter feel like a concrete path, it's designed to make 25 mph nasty rock gardens feel like a concrete path, and it does that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Thanks everyone for the input.

TroyS600, I'm happy to hear from someone that's been on the SL. One of the things that I like about the SL is that it seems more "playful" than some of my other recent bikes. I'm not sure if that's the proper term but basically I have a better feel of the trail and can work the terrain. The longer travel bikes that I've had seem to numb that feeling a bit, which I guess is the goal, but they don't feel as fun. I was afraid the LT might do the same but it sounds like that won't be a problem. I can't wait for a demo day. My LBS has transition as well, they said the Bandit has been a great bike for them in both wheel sizes. I'm trying my best to not muddy the waters by looking at too many bikes but they aren't making it easy. They have SC, transition, pivot and now Niner all under one roof...