JKA
    mtbr member

Superlight 29 to 27.5 transformation

Anyone modify a SL29 into a 27.5? I rode the 29 version and it feels like most other 29rs I've ridden. Personally, I don't like the feel of 29s. They turn too slow and get up to speed to slow for me. I know, I know, others love them and will defend them to the death. I'm not trolling or trying to start any kind of flame war at all, so please dont try to argue the merits of 29" wheels in this thread. I just know what feels good between my legs. I like the ride of 27.5 hoops better than either 26 or 29 and I wonder if it would mess up the geometry to drop down to a 27.5. A real concern is the BB height as it would be even lower dropping down.
    Anyone try it? I'm leaning strongly toward the 5010, but I really like the simplicity of the single pivot and SC does it soooooo well. I'd love to have the option of a 27.5 SL. Anyone listening at Santa Cruz???

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by syl3 View Post
    LOL, yes, exactly.

SC is not only listening, they've already done what the OP asked.

JKA
    mtbr member
    Dang that was fast. Gotta love SC. I ask for it and less than 5 minutes later they're making one. I amazed they can produce a new bike in less than 5 minutes. I didn't know I had that much pull at SC. You'd think I was the CEO or something.

I didn't even know they came out with this. When did it show up??

mtbr member
    The Bantam was introduced at Eurobike which was like August 29-Sept 3. So it was only 3 weeks ago.

JKA
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    The Bantam was introduced at Eurobike which was like August 29-Sept 3. So it was only 3 weeks ago.
    Wow. I guess I was asleep at the wheel on that one.

Looks like a sweet ride, maybe a little heavy, but so am I.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The number of new models which SC has introduced this year is amazing....and all desirable bikes too. I am a long time Yeti guy, but jumped ship to get a Tallboy 2c, and I love it!

NedwannaB
    Yeah simple(r) single pivot but like you said heavier, and more trail bike than xc which the SL29 is. Depends how/what you're planning to ride. I myself am sortof doing the opposite to your OP, got a 26" SL frame and building up rolling on 650B wheels.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

JKA
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Yeah simple(r) single pivot but like you said heavier, and more trail bike than xc which the SL29 is. Depends how/what you're planning to ride. I myself am sortof doing the opposite to your OP, got a 26" SL frame and building up rolling on 650B wheels.
    I'd be very interested in going that direction. From the little I've read about it, you have to shim the shock to reduce the travel (I have no idea how to do that, or if I want to reduce the travel), and cut off the cable stop on the seat tube to eliminate the tire rubbing. Is that all true and how do you go about shimming the shock? I don't know if I want to cut anything off the frame. I like the idea of 27.5 and it would be way cool to go from 26 to 27.5 on a SL26 as it would have the added benefit of raising the BB a little bit to reduce pedal strikes. Is there a thread on the specifics of how to do it? I couldn't find one.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by JKA View Post
    I'd be very interested in going that direction. From the little I've read about it, you have to shim the shock to reduce the travel (I have no idea how to do that, or if I want to reduce the travel), and cut off the cable stop on the seat tube to eliminate the tire rubbing. Is that all true and how do you go about shimming the shock? I don't know if I want to cut anything off the frame. I like the idea of 27.5 and it would be way cool to go from 26 to 27.5 on a SL26 as it would have the added benefit of raising the BB a little bit to reduce pedal strikes. Is there a thread on the specifics of how to do it? I couldn't find one.
    Tons of threads! Ok well not tons. But sounds like you've seen enough info to know the paticulars. Shimming is not always needed. Depends on how hard you ride, frame size, which shock type/brand and what tyres you care to run. I've seen some having to and some not with 2.1's. I've been playing with conversions for awhile and hope this will be the last. Try this previous search of mine here for some late night studying:

http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=183623

If you size accordingly, this guy was selling his relatively new large (usually one ride a medium in most other brands comparatively) frame and fork for ~$750. It may be gone. If ad link is dead, PM him to see if he's still got it. If not, SC online store may still have some frames in your size at $550. That's what I did.
    Just throwing it out there.
    Last edited by JMac47; 09-25-2013 at 07:03 PM. Reason: more info

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Tons of threads! Ok well not tons. But sounds like you've seen enough info to know the paticulars. Shimming is not always needed. Depends on how hard you ride, frame size, which shock type/brand and what tyres you care to run. I've seen some having to and some not with 2.1's. I've been playing with conversions for awhile and hope this will be the last. Try this previous search of mine here for some late night studying:

http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=183623

If you size accordingly, this guy was selling his relatively new large (usually one ride a medium in most other brands comparatively) frame and fork for ~$750. It may be gone. If ad link is dead, PM him to see if he's still got it. If not, SC online store may still have some frames in your size at $550. That's what I did.
    Just throwing it out there.
    Sorry, link shows no results, can you tell us what you searched? Thanks.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I too am planning to take the sl26 and put 650b wheels on there. I don't have any experience on doing so, but enough people seem to make it work that it may be worth it. Though, are 26's really that bad? For instance, is running 2.1's on 650b better than 2.3's on 26's when you live in the NorthWet?

Also, can someone tell me why my new frame has two front derailleur cable stops?

NedwannaB
    Advanced Search using "Santa Cruz Super light conversion".

Weird. I guess a search link may not be able to forwarded. I just did a new search and all of the threads showed up. Give it another try.