mtbr member

Stem Recomendation

Riders, I'm currently using a 75mm stem on my Large Chameleon and I think I need a longer one for better climb and because my front lifting up easily on technical climb.

Any recomendation on the size? Should I get the 90mm or the 100mm? What's the rise, 0/5/10? I do some technical singletrack,1-3ft jumps, climb and some fast descending. Which size is best to suit my riding type?

Thank you in advance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    How tall are you? I'm 6' riding a large Chameleon with a 100mm 7* stem. I'm also using a non-setback seatpost. I'm feeling a little cramped in the cockpit and am thinking of going to a setback Thomson post and a 110mm stem. I do mostly singletrack riding. I actually think I probably could have gone to the XL size but I wanted a frame that could double for a little urban/dj/etc. so the L seems to offer that versatility.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11 and L size frame is good for me,even with the 75mm stem. Any other idea?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    A longer stem in the 90-100mm range could certainly help get your weight a little more over the front end. The exact length and rise you choose will depend on what you like comfort wise (keeping in the the longer and lower it is the more weight you'll be moving towards the front to help keep that wheel planted).

The only other thing to look at would be the how long your front fork is. If you're running a long travel fork then it's tipping you back already. Shortening the front end can help a lot too, one of the benefits of an adjustable travel fork and a reason I wish I had one.

mtbr member
    thanks slide, running on revelation so its adjustable.Other chameleon riders, what size are you guys running?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I run a 16" Chameleon and tried a 70mm 0 deg Thomson but it was too short. They don't do an 80 mm but the 90mm 15 deg is effectively around 85mm and is totally spot on for me. I also use a Salsa shaft set back post. Pics:

Post your lizards. (Chameleon)

TBH I would not use any other stem than a Thomson - one of those products that is totally perfect IMHO.

mtbr member
    I was on budget and got the easton EA70, 100mm, 135g and +/- 6 degree rise. So far riding around the parking area it seems to fit me well. Will try again tomorrow.

I had to make a choice between the Ritchey Comp Stem and the above, it's 170g. I hope I didnt make a wrong choice.

Members who have read this thread: 0